Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2024 7:34:33 PM EDT
Trying to decide what to do with a Clinton era ban 20" A2 Bushmaster. It was my first AR and it is a good shooter. Kinda just sits in the back of my safe as I enjoy shooting my SBR Ar's and carbines more. Thinking of swapping out the HBAR with a 20" government profile barrel with flash hider and bayonet lug. Found a couple 20" a2 barrels for sale and one has a correct a2 sight tower (non F marked), but is nitride. Should I hold out for a phosphate and chrome lined barrel just for traditions sake? Not a deal breaker, but trying to re interest myself in this heavy old pig.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d hold out for a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Nitride is fine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Go chrome or go home.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zencarl:
Nitride is fine.
View Quote
probably but I'd still hold out for a proper chrome lined, phosphate finished barrel
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:55:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#5]
Keep the HBAR, swap out the A2 for a flat-top, get yourself a fair-priced scope, and make it your 500-yard rifle.

Nothing like killing targets five football fields away away (without chrome lining) to make you a believer.

To paraphrase (I think Chuck Pressburg), nobody looks down at the bullet holes in their chest and asks, "What, is that a two minute group?!"
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:59:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#6]
Keep looking for phosphate and chrome.   Nitride is perfectly OK, but it tends to look somewhat off.  I bought a nice nitride barrel, but it has a noticeably shiny finish.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Nitride on any retro or A2 rifles just doesn’t look right. It’s too shiny. Hold out for chrome lined bore with phosphate exterior.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#9]
You can get a chrome-lined A2 assembly at Fulton Armory
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Nitride on any retro or A2 rifles just doesn’t look right. It’s too shiny. Hold out for chrome lined bore with phosphate exterior.
View Quote

Rattle-can goes pssshhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a ban era Colt H Bar.
Had muzzle cut and threaded post 2004.
Didn't cost much at all and my rifle is still all Colt.

RCA
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#12]
That was my original plan. It’s about $100 or so to thread the barrel, not including shipping. For $155 I could get a phosphate 20”a2 barrel from Delton or JSE surplus. Problem with that is F marked fsb. For $250 I could get a proper chrome lined phosphate barrel with correct a2 sight. I have 7 AR’s so this is not my primary rifle. Just trying to regain some interest in the rifle so it’s not a safe queen collecting dust.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:14:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#13]
Originally Posted By wreckdiver:
That was my original plan. It’s about $100 or so to thread the barrel, not including shipping. For $155 I could get a phosphate 20”a2 barrel from Delton or JSE surplus. Problem with that is F marked fsb. For $250 I could get a proper chrome lined phosphate barrel with correct a2 sight. I have 7 AR’s so this is not my primary rifle. Just trying to regain some interest in the rifle so it’s not a safe queen collecting dust.
View Quote

Del-ton 20" A2 Barrel (Option for Chrome)

Edited: this barrel has a standard A2 FSB and not an F-marked.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd hold out for a chrome lined phosphate barrel.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:07:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#15]
Problem with that is F marked fsb.
View Quote
What problem?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:12:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#16]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
What problem?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Problem with that is F marked fsb.
What problem?

His rifle has an A2, fixed carry handle receiver.  F-marked FSBs are meant to be used with flat-top receivers and the shelf on the FSB where the sight post threads in sits slightly higher to the axis of the bore.  When zeroing an F-marked FSB with an A2 upper, you sometimes end up having to bottom out the front sight post due to the height difference or get a taller front sight post.  Often times, you can still achieve a zero but the front sight post looks buried.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bebop_941:

His rifle has an A2, fixed carry handle receiver.  F-marked FSBs are meant to be used with flat-top receivers and the shelf on the FSB where the sight post threads in sits slightly higher to the axis of the bore.  When zeroing an F-marked FSB with an A2 upper, you sometimes end up having to bottom out the front sight post due to the height difference or get a taller front sight post.  Often times, you can still achieve a zero but the front sight post looks buried.
View Quote
0.040" is about 1.5 revs. If that's enough to bottom out, something else is funky. If it is one of the tall threaded posts, that's an easy dremel job.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:52:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#18]
0.040" is about 1.5 revs. If that's enough to bottom out, something else is funky. If it is one of the tall threaded posts, that's an easy dremel job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bebop_941:

Bottoming out is a poor choice of words on my part.  It's just not the correct FSB.  An F-marked base will work, but the sight post will be lower in the FSB and it appears to not be what the OP wants.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#19]
The heavy factory chrome lined 1/9 twist barrel is ridiculously accurate. I just don't care for the weight or aesthetics of the neutered barrel. I'll find a decent chrome lined phosphate 1/7 barrel with correct a2 FSB. Like I said before, my favorite AR currently is a budget build PSA 10.5 SBR. The Eotech on it cost more than the rifle. I'm trying to rekindle the fire for a 20" musket. I have other AR's that fill the carbine, SBR, designated marksman, and 9mm A1, etc.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By zencarl:
Nitride is fine.
View Quote

Cleans easy also.  Hard as chrome.  Nitride is even being used in the new carbine being adopted by the Army.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:18:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#21]
I see you mentioned government profile as a requirement.  However, this may suit you if you're wanting to lighten the rifle:

Brownells

It meets all of your requirements, except for profile.  However, you shouldn't notice any appreciable difference in accuracy between this and a government profile barrel, all other things being equal.  Just a thought.

Brownells sells the same barrel in a government profile too but they are out of stock:

Brownells Government
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Just get a spare FSB and send it to John Thomas to be threaded and have the new fsb put on.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:51:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
Keep looking for phosphate and chrome.   Nitride is perfectly OK, but it tends to look somewhat off.  I bought a nice nitride barrel, but it has a noticeably shiny finish.
View Quote

Definitely phosphate looks way better
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Go pencil & phosphate. I made a late  GWOT clone with a M4 stock, it’s super handy. Got the barrel from Brownells
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JoeBud:
I’d hold out for a chrome lined barrel.
View Quote

This.

Especially if you want to get as close as possible to a "real" A2.

Speaking purely from personal experience, it's really, really hard to love a gun that is "almost" what you want.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top