Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2020 2:51:19 AM EDT
Trying to convert my M600DF black head to FDE
Anyone successfully painted scout head? How do you get paint on inside rim of head where meets lens?
It will be easier to find FDE head, but so far no luck. I could wait longer or just paint and done with it. LOL!
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, when I Cerakote (or paint is the same) areas like that on lights/optics - I give zero f's about that tiny amount of Black, and I cut a circle of Pelican Foam to keep the lens clean.

Or you can get meticulous with Painter's Tape and an Exacto Blade.

Never tried, but thought about: Carefully coat the Lens with Vaseline?

Probably a good post for the Refinishing Forum.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Put it up for trade for color you want has worked for me before
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I painted my M600 FDE but wasn't particular about that sliver of black outlining the lens. Just taped it off and sprayed away on the body+head. It's starting to wear a bit but that doesn't bother me.

If you use painters tape and carefully cut it in the shape of the lens, you could probably get that sliver painted.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i've stuck painters tape on the lens and then cut the outline where the lens meets the bezel with an exacto knife.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for helpful comments.
Sounds hard cutting painters tape around circle...
How about smear light grease/oil on the lens and wipe off after painting????
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Cutting painters tape over just the lens is easier than u think. I would and have gone that route with great results. I wouldn’t risk painting the lens and relying on a coating.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I didn’t even cut the tape, I just ripped painters tape into small enough squares and layered it onto the lens, making sure to ride the edges up onto the bezel, until the lens was covered.

Edges of the paint look a little jagged, but who cares?  The lens was protected and the head got painted.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't even cut the tape, I just ripped painters tape into small enough squares and layered it onto the lens, making sure to ride the edges up onto the bezel, until the lens was covered.

Edges of the paint look a little jagged, but who cares?  The lens was protected and the head got painted.
View Quote
This is the way. It's not perfect, but seeing as how the paint is just gonna get smudged and worn over time, it doesn't bother me in the least.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, i went easy way out and bought used tan head from EE
Thanks for all the reply...
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, i went easy way out and bought used tan head from EE
Thanks for all the reply...
View Quote
What did the tan head sell for?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top