Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2020 1:55:18 PM EDT
I need to take this handguard off to swap muzzle devices, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I'm following PWS instructions to push the detent right to left, but the handguard won't budge.. it says not to force it so I haven't cranked on it

One thing I've noticed is my screws don't stop like the instructions say. They just come all the way out if I keep turning

Anyone have any ideas? Can't call PWS right now. This shouldn't be this hard

/Edit took a rubber mallet to it.. it was on there really good. Definitely took some good hard whacks. Did not remove with 'very little force' per the manual lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:56:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need to take this handguard off to swap muzzle devices, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I'm following PWS instructions to push the detent right to left, but the handguard won't budge.. it says not to force it so I haven't cranked on it

One thing I've noticed is my screws don't stop like the instructions say. They just come all the way out if I keep turning

Anyone have any ideas? Can't call PWS right now. This shouldn't be this hard

/Edit took a rubber mallet to it.. it was on there really good. Definitely took some good hard whacks. Did not remove with 'very little force' per the manual lol
View Quote

@OhioRangeTime

I have tried to remove the hand guard, did not go too far, if you follow the instructions from PWS, they are not that clear.  I suggest we contact PWS to make sure we are using the best method.

Not sure if you have had any discussions with PWS since you made this post, if you have, please post or IM me.  PWS are not the easiest to get in touch with.

Bronc
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@OhioRangeTime

I have tried to remove the hand guard, did not go too far, if you follow the instructions from PWS, they are not that clear.  I suggest we contact PWS to make sure we are using the best method.

Not sure if you have had any discussions with PWS since you made this post, if you have, please post or IM me.  PWS are not the easiest to get in touch with.

Bronc
View Quote

Yeah honestly I don't think there really is a better method. I haven't talked with PWS, the rifle has been flawless and above my expectations for a piston rifle.

I got my information from a LGS owner who works on a ton of PWS rifles and is a huge PWS enthusiast. Basically to remove the handguard you just have to give it a few good hard whacks after you loosen the screws.

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting that PWS youtube channel states to install muzzel devices using a receiver vice. They don't remove the handguard, and don't mention anything about a chamber block to help limit stress. I've installed a few muzzle devices without removing the barrels (not on a PWS), but always prefer to vice the barrel in some wooden blocks if possible.

UPDATE:
@ohiorangetime

Found this video, guy removes the handguard in first 6 min of video.
PWS Handguard Removal
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting that PWS youtube channel states to install muzzel devices using a receiver vice. They don't remove the handguard, and don't mention anything about a chamber block to help limit stress. I've installed a few muzzle devices without removing the barrels (not on a PWS), but always prefer to vice the barrel in some wooden blocks if possible.

UPDATE:
@ohiorangetime

Found this video, guy removes the handguard in first 6 min of video.
PWS Handguard Removal
View Quote

@Hox

I always use a barrel stick, I have a Geissele and a KAC stick dedicated for my KAC rifles.   These have been great when installing a muzzle device, as transferring the torque to the barrel extension

The guy in the video is just fantastic, he is a big PWS fan and hunts hogs like crazy in Texas....I love to watch him....he is the kind of neighbor you need

Bronc
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a tab on the left side that interfaces with the barrel nut cover. Undo both screw and pull hem and the tabs off. On of them will have a tab on it,the handguard should then just slide off.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
That man has some beastly forearms, but mine did not budge with any amount of force. First thing I tried after backing the screws out was pulling hard on it. I would suggest doing as he does first, and if that doesn't work a rubber mallet.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I should probably just buy one
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top