Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2021 12:16:45 PM EDT
In another thread, barrel material for PWS was discussed and debated. Also in that thread, I reached don't via email to the company for answers. A sales representative was very responsive to my inquiries. I just wanted to make a thread where all the info and emails were consolidated into one place, so maybe the guy searching for answers more quickly and easily finds them.

Chronological order:

I asked what barrel material was used for MK1 uppers, and if they were all the same or different by models. I received the response below,.which stayed all models were 416R stainless steel.
Attachment Attached File

I then verified that information, and asked about a Mod2 SBR that was listed as 41v50 barrel steel on their website. I was told that information was a mistake and would be changed. Sure enough, that same day the product page was updated to show 416R stainless steel.
Attachment Attached File

One week later, the same sales representative reached back out to me on his own accord. He stated after further digging, he found that sometime in 2020 they switched from 416R stainless steel to 41v50. There is no specific date for the switch that he was aware of, and even a serial number search wouldn't tell him what material barrel you have. After my inquiry, he also stated he did not know why they switched material. They can tell you the manufacture date, though.
Attachment Attached File

My MK111 Mod1 was produced in April, 2020. So, I may have either a stainless or a 41v50 barrel. I was told there was no way to know for sure, which is sort of a bummer for those who like to know. My serial number's first four ar "0420" so im assuming that's the month and year, since that coincides with the month and year PWS told me it was manufactured.

Anyways, hope this helps someone in the future.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got off the phone with PWS, yes, they called me. My upper was manufactured in May 2020. Could be 416r, could be 41v50...

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Currently, there doesn't seem to be any information on barrel material on their website.  Interesting!
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Currently, there doesn't seem to be any information on barrel material on their website.  Interesting!
View Quote
Most of their listings never showed barrel material. One did, and they said it was a mistake. Turns out, it was accurate. They said they are working on changing all the info. We'll see. I hope they list material on every product page to avoid this moving forward. I'm glad we brought this to their attention though, and their responsiveness has been outstanding.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Most of their listings never showed barrel material. One did, and they said it was a mistake. Turns out, it was accurate. They said they are working on changing all the info. We'll see. I hope they list material on every product page to avoid this moving forward. I'm glad we brought this to their attention though, and their responsiveness has been outstanding.
View Quote

Agreed.

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The whole reason I started the other thread was that there always seems to be a lot of interest in bolt and barrel materials, and PWC didn't seem to be very good about publishing it.  I try not to get caught up in that, but it's reassuring to know that quality materials were used in your rifle.  Hopefully PWC starts putting that info on their website.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I am making a generalized statement here, if I am off, please comment....but I do own a PWS, excellent rifle, but I have always thought of them as keeping specifications closely guarded, they are a nitch market, long stroke, AK type piston system on an AR platform....they do have a very solid design and as reliable as any...

If you watch the YT video with the owner, he goes through all of the testing they did to hone the design and want to keep that data company confidential....and yes Adam at PWS has been a lot of help to me the past two or three years.

Just my thoughts

Bronc
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am making a generalized statement here, if I am off, please comment....but I do own a PWS, excellent rifle, but I have always thought of them as keeping specifications closely guarded, they are a nitch market, long stroke, AK type piston system on an AR platform....they do have a very solid design and as reliable as any...

If you watch the YT video with the owner, he goes through all of the testing they did to hone the design and want to keep that data company confidential....and yes Adam at PWS has been a lot of help to me the past two or three years.

Just my thoughts

Bronc
View Quote
I've watched all the videos with the owner and that was about the only place I could find all the info and history. Interesting stuff. Barrel materials, however, are no industry secret and are important in a buying decision for some people. High volume shooters tend to go 4150 vs any kind of stainless for wear resistance. I always thought stainless was an odd choice because they attempted to make a more robust operating system, but used a less robust (but more precise) barrel material. I bought one anyway and love it, but still cross my fingers I have the 4150 material. May never matter, but it's a mental thing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
How do you determine the build date? where can I find this information on the gun?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How do you determine the build date? where can I find this information on the gun?
View Quote
I replied to your PM, but here is a picture for reference. First four digits are month and year. "0420"  on mine is 04/2020.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info.  Which ever it is, its dang good.  I have a mk111 iMod 2 in .233 and 7.62 and both are excellent.  Honestly the 7.62 blows me away.  With Wolf 123gr HP im getting sub 2" most of the time and and 1' groups are common.  The recent Russian ammo ban cut deep....
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  Which ever it is, its dang good.  I have a mk111 iMod 2 in .233 and 7.62 and both are excellent.  Honestly the 7.62 blows me away.  With Wolf 123gr HP im getting sub 2" most of the time and and 1' groups are common.  The recent Russian ammo ban cut deep....
View Quote
Yeah I got out of 7.62 now that it costs more than .223... big bummer.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top