Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 3:42:34 PM EDT
Have been looking into a 16" rifle. At first I was going to go for entry level, radial arms, Ruger, S&P, ETC...

Then I started looking into build costs. In years past it was cheaper to build than buy, but some of these entry rifles are cheap.

My question is quality of the rifle etc.

Would a PSA build that I do myself yield a better quality rifle than a rifle off of the shelf thats under 1,000?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a lot of PSA hate here and for no reason. PSA is ok entry level stuff. I have a few. But with the PSA prices as they are I recommend spending slightly more and get a LaRue UU kit. It’s only 1 or 200 more for a complete build kit. But you might have to wait a bit. Totally worth it. Yes I have one of those also and it’s on a LaRue lower.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
With a good barrel, trigger, and ammo, virtually ANY BRAND/MAKE AR will generally shoot better than the person pressing the trigger is able to shoot it. I've assembled several thousand ARs over the last 6 years, using uppers and lowers from almost all of the major manufacturers. Aside from cosmetics, and some ambidextrous controls, there just isn't a hell of a lot of actual difference, AS LONG AS THE PARTS ARE MADE TO THE CORRECT SPECIFICATIONS.

I know this will irritate the boutique rifle fans, but that is not my intent. Unless your are a true tier 1 operator, 90% of AR owners will never shoot out their original barrels. Spend the money on more ammo, quality triggers, and more trigger time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have all of the appropriate tools that s build needs? If not, my vote is for a PSA upper and lower. I had one for a couple years after I got divorced and was paying alimony and child support. Lol. It served its purpose. I actually wish I would've just kept it, but I figured I'd sell it while the covid iron was still hot early last year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a lot of PSA hate here and for no reason.
View Quote

How do you know it is for no reason?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I would buy what ever is available in your price range...no telling what the future holds. BTW welcome to the group.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If you get one of their premium FN CHF/Cl barrels they are an excellent choice.  As far as the lower goes, a PSA is fine.  As long as all the holes are drilled in the right spot, the lower isn't going to matter, it's the FCG the lower holds is what's more important.  Put a good FCG in it and you shouldn't have any problems with a PSA lower, or an Anderson lower or just about any lower.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Get what you can afford, now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How do you know it is for no reason?
View Quote

Is that You "Hebrew Battle Rifle"?

PSA is Great Value & have Exceptional Customer Service + Life Time No BS Warranty.

I've had a dozen between myself, friends, & kids w/ zero issues.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If you by a assembled rifle there is a 11% excise tax.

Or You could buy a lower.

Then buy an upper.

Put upper on Lower & SAVE!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

PSA is Great Value & have Exceptional Customer Service + Life Time No BS Warranty.

View Quote

No issues, then how do you know how good their service and warranty is?

Just asking for Hebrew Battle Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Most of the PSA hate comes from guys needing to validate their decision to spend 3k on an AR.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here, I have had a few, well more than a few, never one issue.  The last one I put together cost me less than $400.  I had a lower left over from a BOGO free sale PSA had some years back, raided the parts bin and bought a used PSA upper from the EE.

I runs great, cycles very good and goes bang everytime.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most of the PSA hate comes from guys needing to validate their decision to spend 3k on an AR.
View Quote

I tend to agree.  That's not to say that PSA, Anderson let some slip by QC, but every brand does, its just when they do everyone piles on saying see, garbage!  If Colt, DD or any of the higher end companies let one slip by, people say it's cause the person doesn't know how to operate an AR.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I tend to agree.  That's not to say that PSA, Anderson let some slip by QC, but every brand does, its just when they do everyone piles on saying see, garbage!  If Colt, DD or any of the higher end companies let one slip by, people say it's cause the person doesn't know how to operate an AR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#15]
What I would like to see are their manufacturing numbers.....I dont have data, but I bet PSA may be one of if not the largest AR producer in the US today....
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]
The PSA premium uppers are very good.

I would also look into glfallc.com. they sell a full complete rifle for $750 thats also better than most PSA rifles.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#17]
The PSA premium uppers are very good.

I would also look into glfallc.com. they sell a full complete rifle for $750 thats also better than most PSA rifles.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What I would like to see are their manufacturing numbers.....I dont have data, but I bet PSA may be one of if not the largest AR producer in the US today....
View Quote

Most current ATF report shows just shy of 27k rifles for year end 2019.

Bet your ass that they have surpassed that number.  

Eta:

Fun fact....the report lists just shy of 276k "misc" firearms manufactured as well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I dont know why I think this, but that number seems very very low....

I dont need to throw a rock 20 feet in my circle of friends and can count a dozen PSA rifles....and that is just me

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top