Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/26/2023 2:17:31 AM EDT
PMC M193 and PPU M193 are the exact same price shipped currently. I've used PMC XTAC for a while now with no issues, but with reports of PMC raising their dealer price I worry about its availability.

A lot of people say PMC sucks, that their ammo is underpowered but I've never personally seen this. It runs about 2890 in my 13.9" Criterion and I was getting 3140fps from my 18" Faxon. Accuracy has been acceptable for M193, better than other brands I've used.

I've never used PPU before but people say good things about them. But frankly I don't see how they can be significantly hotter than PMC Xtac.

Does anyone have data to support that PMC or PPU is better than the other?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:21:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Both good as new factory ammo.

I find PPU brass to be NOTICABLY SOFTER. So if you want to reload, stay awa from PPU. In my observation, the PPU rims deform easily, and that causes balky processing (doesn't want to fit in shellholder on press and priming tool).

I found the soft brass issue to exist in PPU 5.56 and also PPU 30-06.

PMC 5.56 brass doesn't deform in any significant way that impedes reloading.

If PMC "sucks" because it runs a little slower, then I guess it sucks. I haven't done chronograph tests of factory ball ammo. I don't care even one bit. It functions great, and accuracy is great (for what it tries to be at 55/62 grain ball).
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both good as new factory ammo.

I find PPU brass to be NOTICABLY SOFTER. So if you want to reload, stay awa from PPU. In my observation, the PPU rims deform easily, and that causes balky processing (doesn't want to fit in shellholder on press and priming tool).

I found the soft brass issue to exist in PPU 5.56 and also PPU 30-06.

PMC 5.56 brass doesn't deform in any significant way that impedes reloading.

If PMC "sucks" because it runs a little slower, then I guess it sucks. I haven't done chronograph tests of factory ball ammo. I don't care even one bit. It functions great, and accuracy is great (for what it tries to be at 55/62 grain ball).
View Quote

I can understand people not wanting cold ammo, especially since I'm using a 13.9" barrel and absolutely need all the velocity I can get. I think I'll need to pick up some PPU and test it out.. but I've never had issues with velocity with PMC that I know of.

The smaller boxes PPU uses looks appealing, I'll say.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I bias towards PMC, but that's probably because of the XTAC line.

Since PMC is known to work for you, why not just stick with it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bias towards PMC, but that's probably because of the XTAC line.

Since PMC is known to work for you, why not just stick with it?
View Quote

With the recent dealer price hike, there's currently only one vendor supplying it at a reasonable price. Whereas PPU has a couple dealers supplying it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top