Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2024 7:26:33 PM EDT
Compass Lake built a barrel for me using a oversized barrel extension that I measured to be .9990" at the barrel extension face and 1.0000" just before the index pin. I see that milspec is .9979” min to .9987” max. I did not request an oversized barrel extension when I ordered the barrel and I do not understand why they supplied one. Unfortunately Compass Lake decided this week to end commercial sales and I have not been able to find out what my options are.

Does anyone here know why oversized barrel extensions are used and are there upper receivers that will work with them?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Most uppers I have measured come in at around 1.000" to 1.001". Maybe for a tight fit?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you get it out of the receiver yet?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most uppers I have measure come in at around 1.000" to 1.001" maybe for a tight fit?
View Quote

If most uppers come in around 1.000" to 1.001" I should be able to thermo fit one to my oversized barrel extension.

I am assuming the combination of a 0.001” oversized barrel extension and milspec upper receiver will act the same as a 0.001” undersized upper receiver (BCM M4) and a milspec barrel extension.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If most uppers come in around 1.000" to 1.001" I should be able to thermo fit one to my oversized barrel extension.

I am assuming the combination of a 0.001” oversized barrel extension and milspec upper receiver will act the same as a 0.001” undersized upper receiver (BCM M4) and a milspec barrel extension.
View Quote

Thought you were using one of the undersized BCM uppers. One I have only measured around .998" or maybe a little smaller when I just checked it.  How much an upper would expand from heating I have no clue. Also I did not say most uppers I said most that I have measured.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thought you were using one of the undersized BCM uppers. One I have only measured around .998" or maybe a little smaller when I just checked it.  How much an upper would expand from heating I have no clue. Also I did not say most uppers I said most that I have measured.
View Quote

I was using a BCM upper. That's the problem. It will not work with an oversized barrel extension. I did not know that Compass Lake installed an oversized barrel extension.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The one thing I have yet to hear is what temperature you bringing the upper up to.

Until I hear that number, I am not giving up on completing a thermal fit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was using a BCM upper. That's the problem. It will not work with an oversized barrel extension. I did not know that Compass Lake installed an oversized barrel extension.
View Quote

Ya, it appears that you are on opposite ends of the tolerance stack.  I'd expect there are a few uppers out there of equal or better quality that would accept that barrel.  Post it up in the EE if you aren't happy with it.  Some guys would pay a premium to have such a "problem".
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#8]
really necessary to make two post about this issue?  
edited
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:05:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
really necessary to make to post about this issue?
View Quote

It's a tech forum
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's a tech forum
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a tech forum

really necessary to make a 2nd post about this same issue.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Compass Lake built a barrel for me using a oversized barrel extension that I measured to be .9990" at the barrel extension face and 1.0000" just before the index pin. I see that milspec is .9979” min to .9987” max. I did not request an oversized barrel extension when I ordered the barrel and I do not understand why they supplied one. Unfortunately Compass Lake decided this week to end commercial sales and I have not been able to find out what my options are.

Does anyone here know why oversized barrel extensions are used and are there upper receivers that will work with them?
View Quote

I would secure the upper in a vice with blocks, then recruit someone to drive the barrel out with a 1" dowel as I heat the threads.  Considering you have an undersized upper with an oversized extension, it sounds like two people would make it easier.

Honestly, I don't think you need a thermal fit upper for that barrel or most barrels for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:20:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a tech forum

Your first post didn't indicate it was in regards to the OP creating two threads on this issue (I see now it was a typo).  Regardless, that point was addressed in the first thread.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:04:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Just go buy an Aero upper receiver. You may have to hit it with a heat gun but it'll go.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:26:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Stripped uppers aren't all that expensive. Grab a new one and save the BCM for future use. No point in fighting it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stripped uppers aren't all that expensive. Grab a new one and save the BCM for future use. No point in fighting it.
View Quote

That's what I would recommend,  except this time stay away from BCM.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Start with a standard receiver,  not an undersized thermal fit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#17]
That’s not really a problem…just buy a standard mil spec upper receiver.  A Colt would work.  

Heat it up, use a wooden block to backstop the receiver and tap the barrel into it with a mallet.  Easy day.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top