BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/26/2021 12:27:06 PM EDT
I have a S&W M&P 15 rifle I purchased last June. It now has about 1200 rounds thru it and has been flawless, except where it throws fired shells.
Did some reading and the said to change bufffer weights, going heavier. I tried Pur-Tunston weights and they did nothing, so I returned them.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you think is the solution? I am using Federal xm193 5.56 ammo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the firestorm...

Fuck that chart.
If it feeds, shoots and extracts reliably when it’s clean and dirty then shoot it and be happy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
A heavy buffer will help. Or put an adjustable block in it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
What problem?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Go up one weight on the buffer
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fuck that chart.
If it feeds, shoots and extracts reliably when it’s clean and dirty then shoot it and be happy.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Might be your recoil buffer spring. Had the same problem on an ar pistol I bought. Added a spikes tactical heavier buffer. Turns out my spring was short a number of coils. Replaced the spring, problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
flawless = ain't broke = don't fix it

when you add a suppressor and have problems, fix it at that point
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a S&W M&P 15 rifle I purchased last June. It now has about 1200 rounds thru it and has been flawless, except where it throws fired shells.
Did some reading and the said to change bufffer weights, going heavier. I tried Pur-Tunston weights and they did nothing, so I returned them.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you think is the solution? I am using Federal xm193 5.56 ammo.
View Quote
Why do you believe this is a problem that needs to be solved?

There is no need to start swapping parts if the rifle is otherwise flawless.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My rifles throw the brass across the sun dial....the LMTs are the worst, but never had an issue with them.  My SR25 seems to behave the best, it makes neat little piles right at 3:55....but what is best as long as the rifle is working.  Every one of my LMTs spit brass at 1:30 regardless of what I do to them...I dont try to change them anymore.

I used to get all worked on where the brass is clocking, but got over that real quick....
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd run an H2 and then let the brass fall where they may. Might even add a Sprinco "blue".
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I will call Smith & Wesson. I am sure they will be friendlier than the assholes that responded to my post!
With no useful information.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Having more powerful ammo ejecting in a 1-2 o'clock pattern means your lower power ammo, like commercial .223 will also eject successfully in a more 3-6 o'clock manner.  Means it will run more reliably with varying ammo.

If you really insist on changing the ejection pattern, heavier H1 or H2 buffer and/or extra power springs.  Or get an adjustable gas block.  I'd recommend the adjustable gas block since you will be able to change the port size depending on ammo your are shooting.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, you state that it's run flawless but are asking how to fix a preceived problem. You don't have a problem, you've just read too much on the internet.

My M&P like many others, is slightly over gassed. So it will run pretty much any ammo I stick in a mag. No problems with it in 10 years.

Not sure what you think S&W is going to do for you when your rifle is functioning as designed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think I will call Smith & Wesson. I am sure they will be friendlier than the assholes that responded to my post!
View Quote

Why would you call S&W?  There's nothing wrong with the gun.  16" factory guns with carbine gas (what gas system yours has) will always be "over gassed", which it's not, because if it was it wouldn't run.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]
FPNI.

Hard and deep.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let us know how that goes...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Triggered.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Fuck that chart.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You got useful information. You got "your gun is fine so carry on." Or "add a heavier buffer". What do you think S&W is gonna say?

The folks in here know what they are talking about. The ejection pattern is not really important if you're running 100%. If anything it can help you tune your rifle. 1 or 2 o'clock suggests it's slightly over-gassed. Try an H2 or H3 and see how it runs. But over-gassing isn't really an issue unless you want it to be. Being under-gassed would be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#22]
There is no guaranteed fix for ejection pattern. What I would do is install an H2 buffer, Sprinco blue and sprinco 5 coil extractor spring. If S&W is still running semi auto bcg, you could throw a full auto carrier in there to help.

Ejection direction/pattern really isn’t a big deal, and does not mean your rifle has an issue. My ARs setup like what I recommend above, they throw them consistently in a nice pile, usually in the 3-4 range.

I would bet that S&W is running light carbine buffer and spring, and they are going to tell you it’s fine. It can be better.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

No assholes responded to your post. There is nothing wrong with your rifle. There is no problem to solve.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

If your spent brass is dented in the middle like in the photo, then your rifle is overgassed, and brass will eject somewhere around 1:00 o'clock.
This issue can be corrected.  All those experts who advised you today, most likely they like brass like this for their reloads.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for your reply. I have not seen dents in my brass as shown here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If your spent brass is dented in the middle like in the photo, then your rifle is overgassed, and brass will eject somewhere around 1:00 o'clock.
This issue can be corrected.  All those experts who advised you today, most likely they like brass like this for their reloads.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100207/Daniel_Defense_brass__2_X_jpg-1794296.JPG
View Quote

As a special expert; I've seen plenty of undented brass flung to 1 o'clock. Might not have been in the most loving manner, but OP was given correct advice. Everyone seems a little on edge these days.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#27]
If you have brass marks on your handguard or the brass is going back in the chamber, then it is over gassed.

Yes I've experienced both
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#28]
OP if you really want to make this more complicated. You should throw a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the solution would be to find better reading material.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Not trying to be sarcastic here, but why does it matter where the heck it puts the brass?
I forget that’s even a thing until I see these threads. My 16” carbines seem to put brass around the 2 o’clock area. They function just fine with everything from shitty steel case ammo to 77gr mk’s with 24.3 grains of tac
Hell, I loaded some very week rounds that wouldn’t even cycle my 20” rifles and they still ejected them. Wouldn’t hold bolt open on last shot, but still cycled. Sounds to me that your rifle indeed does run flawlessly. Don’t fix what’s not broke.
And dents on brass from shell deflector means you deflector is doing exactly what it’s supposed to do. Deflecting brass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Good luck OP...you are going to need it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is gold, Jerry. Gold, I tell you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Because where I shoot the brass is thrown into the dirt and if it has been raining, into the mud. I save my brass
and dirty muddy brass needs to be cleaned. If it throws the brass between 3 and 4:30 it land on the concrete walkway.
Thanks whats behind my question!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a brass catcher.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you keep a "hard on?" Don't fuck with it!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Get a brass catcher.
View Quote

lol

this poor fucking guy
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Because where I shoot the brass is thrown into the dirt and if it has been raining, into the mud. I save my brass
and dirty muddy brass needs to be cleaned. If it throws the brass between 3 and 4:30 it land on the concrete walkway.
View Quote

Buy a brass catcher.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Come Brother, don't be so sensitive.  Sure there's a lot of shit heads on this site, but none of the responses have been personal in nature...it's just a bunch of guys who are in need of some Emily Post time.  Most of the input given is spot-on...load, fire, reload and repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I changed ammo from .223 Wolf Gold to 5.56 IMI recently, and the recoil felt much stronger in one of my carbines. So I started watching videos and heard all the recommendations about changing buffer weights etc. etc.

Since my AR has never misfired even though it was throwing cases at 2:00 or so, I went with changing the buffer spring to a Sprinco blue spring. It did make a slight difference in felt recoil, and was fairly inexpensive to do. I couldn't tell that spring change made any difference in where the cases were thrown. That is all I am going to do with mine as long as it functions properly.

I will tell you the members who posted in this thread are way more knowledgeable about AR's then I am, and I consider their posts very useful information.

I hope you are able to satisfy your concern OP.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Tried a Caldwell barss catcher. It kept coming loose about every 5 or 6 round.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Being S&W its overgassed.  This will help or an H2 with Springco or Tubbs spring

Wow, what has happened to this forum.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that chart.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

Don’t read into all that over gases shit. It’s a ar15  if it works don’t mess with it. Adjustable gas block = a lot of adjustments to get it to work .
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I promise that if you ever start trying to diagnose and fix an undergassed  gun, you will realize how silly this is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

As suggested by some posters, install H2 buffer and Sprinco blue spring.

https://www.sprinco.com/ar-buffer.html

If this does not help, then use milder ammo like 223 Remington.

When my rifles, Noveske (hammer forged middy) and Armalite (middy) dented brass in the middle and throwing it forward, I did not bother asking for advice here, because I knew the responses I would get like "fuck that chart" and so on.  I installed heavier buffers and recoil springs.

Photo of Noveske spent brass.  Of course the rifle went bang and ejected.

Attachment Attached File

In Armalite middy, I use H3 buffer and much heavier recoil spring than blue sprinco.  Pretty lame solution for this overgassed POS 4140 barrel.
The upper shows no wear whatsoever after 3460 rounds, therefore I will replace the barrel with Daniel Defense or FN (hammer forged ones).

Below,  LMT spent brass.  I did not like it at all, although it went bang and ejected. Therefore, I replaced this lemon upper with new one from Rainier Arms.  This was years ago.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The only rifles I have no issues whatsoever are my 3 Colts LE6920. Perfect finish, function and reliability.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Here ya go op.
Found this while looking for bolt parts
Adjustable gas key
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#46]
So why are we bashing a guy for wanting to address his rifle being over gassed?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Being S&W its overgassed.  This will help or an H2 with Springco or Tubbs spring

Wow, what has happened to this forum.
View Quote

This is the best bet for addressing gas. BRT GP insert Is also gtg, though a bit more labor intensive.

As far as the forum? Ah, it's the same shit/different day.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I was just going to post the same question. I have one that ejects at 2-2:30.   But thank GOD op beat me to it.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Adjustable gas block will also help.

I think there's fatigue from the same questions being asked. I get it, but there's plenty of answers to OP's question out there if you search. I know it's been hard searching arfcom archives on google now since migrating, though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I always use H2 buffers in my 16" rifles, and they usually throw 5.56 between 3 and 4 o'clock.  I don't care where the steel case stuff lands.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top