Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2021 10:32:42 AM EDT
Long story short, a friend impulse bought a new Colt 6933 from a well known dealer.  It came in and was new VERY OLD Stock, with a Colt 733 Upper.  He's more into machine guns and not into carry handles and offered to transfer it to me for the price he paid.   I've always wanted a factory Colt SBR with a 733 upper but never believed they existed.  Of course with Colt anything is possible.
Does this look legit?  I'm curious if its factory Colt parts.  Particularly the upper.  

More pics https://imgur.com/gallery/7mbWvSi

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#2]
NICE!  I could be persuaded to take it off of your hands.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NICE!  I could be persuaded to take it off of your hands.
View Quote
So it looks legit? It's at Hansohn brothers ready for transfer.  Not for sale though, I've always wanted a Colt factory SBR "6733" but didn't think they existed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my favorite configurations. Light and compact. Was at a gun/pawnshop in Fayetteville NC back in '92.  They had a beautiful Colt M16A1 carbine with a 12" barrel for $2500. As I had just purchased a 14.5" one for half that, I couldn't justify spending 2500. I know....(kick, kick, kick). Bought a 733 a few years later. Still have the upper to go with my carbine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks legit to me. Barrel should be C MP CB marked. Upper is clearly C marked in the handle recess. Throw a N1 stock on it and you have a sweet 733. Nice little carbine!
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks legit to me too.  Think the DOE bought guns like that post 9/11 when they enhanced the security at a lot of the US facilities they are responsible for, although many of those might have been the full auto variant.  I'd jump on an SBR like that, especially if it is under $1500 like a lot of colt factory SBR's historically have been.
The SBR I built an upper for to come close to that config, but think my barrel is longer:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting configuration.  I like it!  Just wonder how it got in that way...

The lower could have been well after 2004 as they kept shipping Restricted marked lowers for quite some time...  but the upper makes makes me think mid 90’s, as most LE guns then were at least A2’s, gradually the A3 took over.  But the waffle stock is later than that.  

So typical Colt mish mash of parts.  But I do know some LE agencies specified A1 sights due to not wanting their folks to fiddle with the knob (it happens).  So I know at least in ‘99 or so they were still making A1’s on 16” LE guns if requested, because I know of 100 or so they made for one order.  

I don’t know anything about that model in particular other than I never saw any SBR A1 versions along the way in my career.  Just 16” in A2, the 16” A1’s at nearby agency as I described, then flattops in 16” and 11.5” versions.  I bought one around ‘99 or so that was an unmarked LE only (came with a letter) 6721 Tactical Carbine AR15A3.  Story was that it was assembled in 1995, from parts made prior to the ‘94 ban (hence not LE markings), then I didn’t get it for another 5 years of so.  Typical of Colt, you never know what you might find.  

Damn now I want an SBR like that.  And I already have some 11.5” Colt SBR’s!  Love the sleek and simple lightweight look of it.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:54:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Forgot to add- get rid of the waffle stock, add an N1 or a N1 clone, then it will look even better.  I would keep the A2 grip though, they just hold more secure for shooting for me.

Do we even want to know how cheap you are getting it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#9]
You can email and ask Paul Szymaszek at Colt archives, he’s been very helpful for many of my guns. Paul at coltarchives dot com
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 5:09:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats like winning the lotto.

I'd much prefer that over the normal 6933.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh, that is sweet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting configuration.  I like it!  Just wonder how it got in that way...

The lower could have been well after 2004 as they kept shipping Restricted marked lowers for quite some time...  but the upper makes makes me think mid 90's, as most LE guns then were at least A2's, gradually the A3 took over.  But the waffle stock is later than that.  

So typical Colt mish mash of parts.  But I do know some LE agencies specified A1 sights due to not wanting their folks to fiddle with the knob (it happens).  So I know at least in '99 or so they were still making A1's on 16" LE guns if requested, because I know of 100 or so they made for one order.  

I don't know anything about that model in particular other than I never saw any SBR A1 versions along the way in my career.  Just 16" in A2, the 16" A1's at nearby agency as I described, then flattops in 16" and 11.5" versions.  I bought one around '99 or so that was an unmarked LE only (came with a letter) 6721 Tactical Carbine AR15A3.  Story was that it was assembled in 1995, from parts made prior to the '94 ban (hence not LE markings), then I didn't get it for another 5 years of so.  Typical of Colt, you never know what you might find.  

Damn now I want an SBR like that.  And I already have some 11.5" Colt SBR's!  Love the sleek and simple lightweight look of it.  
View Quote
I talked to Colt today as well as Paul at the Archives.  Both confirmed the gun was initially shipped in 2005.  I wasnt able to get the configuration it shipped in but Colt CS did confirm that the carry handle upper was an option available at the time.  Obviously not a common one.
Just strange that it went for 15 years before being sold.  Especially since Only The Best Firearms is a pretty big retailer that handles a lot of NFA, not some sleepy country store.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#13]
How long is the barrel on this upper?  

I like the length it looks really good!
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How long is the barrel on this upper?  

I like the length it looks really good!
View Quote
11.5"
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#15]
You already got your answer, but with the Restricted marking on the mag well I knew this had been in the dealers inventory a LONG time.  The funny thing is my 6933 has been sitting while I try and find a Colt A1 upper like your LOL.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice.  I'd buy it if I had the chance.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks legit to me too.  Think the DOE bought guns like that post 9/11 when they enhanced the security at a lot of the US facilities they are responsible for, although many of those might have been the full auto variant.  I'd jump on an SBR like that, especially if it is under $1500 like a lot of colt factory SBR's historically have been.
The SBR I built an upper for to come close to that config, but think my barrel is longer:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/131641/IMG_1693_1__JPG-1867168.JPG
View Quote

That looks like a 12.5” barrel.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Now you can say you have the gun from "Heat".
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like my duty carbine. All except mine has the removable handle/flat top. Issued to me in 2006. Love that carbine. Been with me through thick and thin. The only issue I ever had was fixed quickly and easily w/ new gas rings in the bolt.

Enjoy her. Nice little carbine.    " />
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh man that's nice. Back in the late 90's I worked with a Colt LEO supplier and we had several uppers come through like that.
So light and compact. And they were CHEAP lol.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Finally, the gun from "Heat."

Seriously OP, that's slick.  Now what did I do with that C7 upper?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a clone 733 upper for my SBR. Sweet gun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#23]
THAT IS ONE HOT, SEXY WEAPON!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Not many years ago, that was the only way the Commando was configured.

No bayonet lug, carry handle and usually no M4 feed ramps.

There wasn't a flat top M4 Commando for a while.

Some companies started promoting law enforcement and military accessories that made use of the bayonet lug, so there was some desire to have a bayonet lug to try them, but most of them never caught on, even though the bayonet lug now remains.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#25]
You scored, homey!

I somewhat had the opposite happen when they switched to the .750" FSB on the Commando.

I opened the box like, "Ohhhhhhh, damn..."
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top