Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2021 2:18:16 PM EDT
Recently acquired a 16” Geissele upper. Have a ta33/rmr combo on my 12.5” and want to set this up to be able to more accurately shoot out to a few hundred yards. Max distance I have access to is about 600 yards shooting paper and steel. Have also been asked to come try and dispatch some coyotes recently.

I would like to prioritize weight and a smaller form factor. Not looking to spend over $2k and less would be nice but I’m not wanting anything junky. I try not to but sometimes stuff gets dropped/knocked over and bumped around in the truck.

NX8 1-8 seems like the default option. Had one before and liked it pretty okay but sold it to fund night vision crap. Also had a Razor 1-6 at one point and it was alright too but seemed heavy and I sold it for a compact acog to save weight/size on that gun.

Looked at the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 but thats getting into a fairly big scope and not sure how durable those are to normal bumping around and what not.

Also debating another acog either a ta11 or ta31. I have yet to tear one of them up even after nasty drops and bouncing around with tools in the truck and the simplicity in controls and mounting is very appealing. But I’m thinking I’d like a little more precision capabilities on this gun.

My friend keeps telling me to get the Khales 1-6. Said he checked one out at some store and was amazed. But ive never seen one in person so if I ordered it would just be off recommendation of others.

Any other suggestions or things I should take a look at?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
With that budget the market is damn near wide open to you. I'd check out the Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28 or the Trijicon VCOG 1-8x28.

Also with a budget like that, I'd be tempted to splurge on multiple more affordable optics and/or accessories. Most say, "buy ammo", but at this time ammo is not reasonably priced or readily accessible. The prices of optics & accessory prices haven't been jacked up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With that budget the market is damn near wide open to you. I'd check out the Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28 or the Trijicon VCOG 1-8x28.

Also with a budget like that, I'd be tempted to splurge on multiple more affordable optics and/or accessories. Most say, "buy ammo", but at this time ammo is not reasonably priced or readily accessible. The prices of optics & accessory prices haven't been jacked up.
View Quote

Pretty sure the Accupower is discontinued. The Credo replaced it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Either the NX8 or Razor II or III if you can find one would fit the bill.

They are all a bit different and have different attributes.  Personally I prefer the NX8, having owned PST II and Razor II 1-6xs.  But I wouldn't be disappointed if handed a rifle with either of those on them as well.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I’m gonna do the nx8 1-8 again. Mostly because of size and weight. Going to give it a try with one of those super tall 1.93” Badger mounts. I thought it would be ridiculous but I ended up really liking the rmr on-top of the Acog as well as my t2 on one of those unity tactical mounts.

Vortex Razor line is nice but I just don’t care for the reticles they offer. Nx8 center dot is big but you can just use some of the hold over lines if you need to be that precise. I’m real tempted by the credo 2-10 or that NF 2.5-10 nxs but the things are pretty massive and weight starts getting up there. I don’t have much of an issue hitting plates a few hundred yards away with the 3x Acog so I figure 8x is more than plenty for any distance I’d be shooting a 5.56 anyways.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d get the 1-6 Razor-E if you want a great 1X that’ll zoom up sometimes, the 1-10 Razor if you want a great higher mag LPVO that’s still great @ 1X, and the NX8 if you want a well-rounded 1-8 that prioritizes light weight

I see the 1-8 Accupower mentioned above. I have one, and I like it, but these days I’d only get it if you want to save some money. Or whatever they’ve replaced it with, I can’t keep track of their million new scope lines (Credo, Huron, whatever). It’s a chunk. But it is a good “precision” LPVO that can still be serviceable @ 1X, and is to me the foil of the Razor.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems the trend is headed back to 2-10x with offset rds
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Seems the trend is headed back to 2-10x with offset rds
View Quote

Well, that is heavier for sure but on an accurate mid range rig, why sacrifice day (& night) performance for weight.
That is, if it is a shooter.  No reason a proper truck (or Jeep) gun can't make you comfortable out past 600 meters.

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well, that is heavier for sure but on an accurate mid range rig, why sacrifice day (& night) performance for weight.
That is, if it is a shooter.  No reason a proper truck (or Jeep) gun can't make you comfortable out past 600 meters.

https://i.imgur.com/inmKWOO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8C1pi86.jpg

View Quote

Man that thing looks nice. Ive not really looked into clip on night vision stuff. Just been doing pvs 14 with passive and ir laser aiming.

Any experience with that credo 2-10x36. Also looked at the NF 2.5-10x42 its sfp but that doesnt seem like too big a deal on a scope that magnification range. Figure if id be using hold overs or trying to range with the reticle id be at max mag anyways.

Any other scope in the 2-10 range I should maybe take a look at?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:43:12 AM EDT
[#9]
NX8 works fine with a clip-on.  It’s easily my favorite LPVO, and I’ve owned/used a lot of them.  Even use it for yote hunting on a 16” Recce.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#10]
is there a 1-8x thats doesn’t have a shitty eye box on 8x?

the ones i’ve looked thru where all way too tight to be useful of anything other than bench shooting: accupower, burris and vortex.

ymmv

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm using both the NF NX8 and the Razor 1-6

Both are outstanding for 0-300 which is the distance I have but they will do much more from what Ive been told
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I ordered a mil nx8 and one of the ultra lite NF scope mounts.

Yeah it’s got a crappy eye box up around 7/8x but I couldn’t find any other scope model that has the same features it does. Small, light, good illumination, durable, and decent reticle. Large center dot doesn’t bother me much because it can be worked around if wanting to shoot with more precision at range via using the reticle subtensions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#13]
A lot of LPVOs have tight eye box at max magnification. That is just kind of the nature of the beast. It is a give and take with features. I love the NX8, but there is no denying it’s only drawback is the tight eye box. Vortex usually has good eye box, but weighs more.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A lot of LPVOs have tight eye box at max magnification. That is just kind of the nature of the beast. It is a give and take with features. I love the NX8, but there is no denying it’s only drawback is the tight eye box. Vortex usually has good eye box, but weighs more.
View Quote

I’d only taken the razor 1-6 out a few times and didn’t have it at the same time as the nx8 to do a side by side comparison. But the vortex was real impressive at 1x and seemed more forgiving than the NF if memory serves.

I just can’t believe in the past 2 years or so someone hasn’t come out with anything really comparable to the nx8 1-8 in size weight durability illumination etc. ATACR 1-8 looks good but not sure it’s worth the 1/4 lb of weight and $1000 more.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Just picked up a second Razor 1-6.

I really like my NX8 but the LE price and features on the Razor make it tough to beat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’d only taken the razor 1-6 out a few times and didn’t have it at the same time as the nx8 to do a side by side comparison. But the vortex was real impressive at 1x and seemed more forgiving than the NF if memory serves.

I just can’t believe in the past 2 years or so someone hasn’t come out with anything really comparable to the nx8 1-8 in size weight durability illumination etc. ATACR 1-8 looks good but not sure it’s worth the 1/4 lb of weight and $1000 more.
View Quote

The Leupold 1-6 I have is light, good glass, and daylight bright.  No BDC but it has adjustable turrents.  I sold my Razor to get it, which I had kept the Razor because that 1x on the Razor is stupid and I like the BDC more than the crosshairs
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
The March Shorty 1-10x is said to compare very favorably, though the custom mount that is ideal for use with the scope does not appear to be QD and is apparently a bit heavy as fixed mounts go. Does have a small section of rail if you're the sort that likes to pair MRDs with your LPVOs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Regarding the mention of the Kahles 1-6x:

I don't have one, but do have a Kahles 2-7x36 Helia CL hunting scope.  Let me say that I have a fair number of scopes with really good glass from many companies, and the brilliance, clarity and resolving of fine detail in that Kahles is unsurpassed.  Positively stunning, especially so under challenging low light, low contrast conditions.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Recently acquired a 16” Geissele upper. Have a ta33/rmr combo on my 12.5” and want to set this up to be able to more accurately shoot out to a few hundred yards. Max distance I have access to is about 600 yards shooting paper and steel. Have also been asked to come try and dispatch some coyotes recently.

I would like to prioritize weight and a smaller form factor. Not looking to spend over $2k and less would be nice but I’m not wanting anything junky. I try not to but sometimes stuff gets dropped/knocked over and bumped around in the truck.

NX8 1-8 seems like the default option. Had one before and liked it pretty okay but sold it to fund night vision crap. Also had a Razor 1-6 at one point and it was alright too but seemed heavy and I sold it for a compact acog to save weight/size on that gun.

Looked at the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 but thats getting into a fairly big scope and not sure how durable those are to normal bumping around and what not.

Also debating another acog either a ta11 or ta31. I have yet to tear one of them up even after nasty drops and bouncing around with tools in the truck and the simplicity in controls and mounting is very appealing. But I’m thinking I’d like a little more precision capabilities on this gun.

My friend keeps telling me to get the Khales 1-6. Said he checked one out at some store and was amazed. But ive never seen one in person so if I ordered it would just be off recommendation of others.

Any other suggestions or things I should take a look at?

Thanks!

View Quote

If I am interpreting your operating parameters correctly...you are looking for an optic on a 16" barreled rifle with variable power, capable of effective hit on small-to-mid size predators, with "duty level" ruggedness and reliability, lightweight, and at or below $2000. The one thing I didn't see referenced is the reticle (focal plane, design, daylight bright illumination, etc), so I'm going to assume you're looking for a reticle in support of the stated goals.

With all that being said, I'm going to recommend an optic you did not list: the Vortex Razor Gen III 1-10x. For reference, I have run the Razor Gen II 1-6x, the Razor Gen II-E 1-6x, the Kahles 1-6x, and the Razor Gen III 1-10x on my rifles. I have shot with the Nightforce NX8 on several occasions but have never found the combination of features, design, and price compelling enough to switch for my needs. Your described user profile indicates use typically in the 200 to 600 yard range far more than the sub-200 yard target engagement range. That pretty much precludes some of the cheaper, lighter options in the 4x magnification range (like the Steiner P4xi 1-4x). The Razor Gen II and Gen II-E shine at 1x as does the Kahles, although the Razors are a little better on 1 power to my eyes and the ocular housing disappears in your field of view like no other. Both of the Razors also trade weight for durability and outmatch the Kahles in this regard (Google the Kahles battery compartment issue). Same with price. You can pick up a Razor Gen II-E (the lighter weight version) for a little over $1100 at places like Liberty Optics (low price shown once added to cart) or Triarc Systems. The reticles on the Razors are second focal plane and provide daylight bright illumination. Daylight bright as in red dot brightness. The reticle choices between the Razors and the Kahles are interesting although they are all geared more towards 3-gun and interim-distance encounters than long-range accuracy. The Kahles' reticles are all funky in one way or another and not for me. The Kahles indisputably wins in the weight department beating the Razors by about 4.5 ounces. Eye box and eye relief on all three are outstanding and pretty much unmatched in their price/size/mag range.

I say all this to show you that the newer Gen III 1-10x Razor has all of the benefits of the Gen II's with no penalties. It is the same weight as the lighter Gen II-E, affords you the precision holds you'll want in a LPVO reticle in the first focal plane, gives you extended magnification to 10x on the high end while being almost as forgiving on 1x, and is absolutely bomb-proof. And you can pick them up between $1900 and $2000. At base 1x, they offer 99% of the eye relief and eye box characteristics of the Gen II's. The reticle has a unique, almost "opaqueness" to it on 10x which means you can actually visual targets through the reticle rather than be obscured by it. 9-hole Reviews on YouTube has a good video demonstrating this effect. It has the same field of view as the Kahles/Razor Gen II on 1x and glass quality is as good or better than both. Obviously at 10x the magnification range will give you a more limited eye box range and field of view but that is a natural byproduct of any optic as magnification increases. Light transmission, optical clarity, chromatic aberration, and reticle design are all consistently good throughout the magnification range.

All of the Razors are duty-grade and quite robust. While they don't get bumped around too much in my cruiser (racked in the cabin or trunk-mounted Trufloc), I am not gentle with my optics during training classes, on hog hunts, or flat range training. They are tools. If they do not perform reliably when needed then they are of no use to me. Vortex has their VIP warranty which is fully transferrable and is of lifetime duration. The Gen III also comes with a Vortex Switchview lever in the box so that's a small plus over the previous generations. The decision comes down to whether or not the extra 4.5 ounces is worth all of the extra capability. At 10x, you're literally adding on the magnification range of a typical ACOG (4x) on top of the 6x top-end mag range of the Gen II Razor's and the Kahles. And that is while retaining all of the low-end field of view, eye box/relief, and ocular housing qualities. As you know, there is absolutely no comparison between 6x and 10x when viewing 600 yard targets.

Give the Gen III 1-10x a look and let me know if you have any questions. Good luck on your search...
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I like the NX8 and the Kahles.  

The Vortex has a good reticle but too heavy for a carbine.  Just fucks up the balance of the gun too much.  

If you can run an Aimpoint Micro, you can run an NX8.  The tight eyebox is not a big deal, as anytime it becomes a problem, it was gonna be a problem with any scope.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Ended up with the gen ii e Razor 1-6.

I had originally bought the nx8 1-8 and did one shooting session with it.... then I sold it on the ee. I just don’t get the hype with it. 1x is crappy compared to the razor and 6-8x is really tight. The form factor and weight are great but the compromises made to get there just aren’t worth it to me.

Thanks for all the replies and guidance.

I was interested in the gen iii Razor but everywhere local only has the moa version. And the website I like to order optics from was out of stock. So I saved $700 and just went 1-6 I figure for a 5.56 6x is plenty anyways.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top