Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2024 2:45:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtComanche]
I was looking about selling my M1A and replacing it with one of their retro rifles, either an XM177E2 or a grey M16A2.

I was leaning towards the A2 at first, and they looked alright but I saw they have M4 feed ramps and flattop front sights, so I was wondering what else may be wrong with them and general opinions on the look & feel. If it would be better to look somewhere else for the accurate early 80s service rifle I wanted. Not a builder, so I’d prefer to source as little parts as possible if I would have to go that route.

Also happily take any opinions on that XM177E2 as well, if they’re good or if it would be better to look for a Troy even with it not in the right twist or someone else entirely.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#1]
KEEP YOUR M1A and buy a AR.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a 604 grey clone… very happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
H&R is an independent company. They are not PSA.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:26:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtComanche] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
H&R is an independent company. They are not PSA.
View Quote

They’re owned by the same parent and the H&R products are sold exclusively (I believe) through PSA
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtComanche] [#5]
Originally Posted By Screwball:
I picked up a 604 grey clone… very happy with it.
View Quote

Those are listed to have the correct parts, the A2 rifles aren’t which is why I’m asking about them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ColtComanche:

They're owned by the same parent and the H&R products are sold exclusively (I believe) through PSA
View Quote
That doesn't make them PSA. Since they have the same parent company, they're leveraging PSA's ecommerce platform to sell their wares. PSA sells lots of stuff from other vendors.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:04:43 AM EDT
[#7]
In no universe would I sell an M1A for any H&R clone.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m an H&R fan and have built several awesome clones using their receivers and other parts.

If you need the money from the sale to buy a clone, maybe consider doing it slowly part by part and build it yourself. Keep your M1A and build your clone.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:17:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rightwing87] [#8]
If you want correct parts (no M4 ramps and non-F height FSB), you can get the Brownells A2 upper and pair it with whatever lower you want.  The bolt is 9310 steel and not C158 if that matters to you.

Fulton Armory also sells an A2 clone rifle.  From what I can tell, all the parts are clone correct.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:36:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#9]
Luth-AR   is another good source for retro parts.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:36:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtComanche] [#10]
Originally Posted By rightwing87:
If you want correct parts (no M4 ramps and non-F height FSB), you can get the Brownells A2 upper and pair it with whatever lower you want.  The bolt is 9310 steel and not C158 if that matters to you.

Fulton Armory also sells an A2 clone rifle.  From what I can tell, all the parts are clone correct.
View Quote

Is that Brownells upper grey? I can’t tell with the lighting. The Fulton definitely is black in the first two pictures but the one with the bayonet I also can’t tell if it’s just the lighting.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]

They’re owned by the same parent and the H&R products are sold exclusively (I believe) through PSA
View Quote

Correct, they are a line if PSA rifles just like Sabre is a line of PSA guns.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtComanche] [#12]
Originally Posted By bdgfate:
In no universe would I sell an M1A for any H&R clone.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m an H&R fan and have built several awesome clones using their receivers and other parts.

If you need the money from the sale to buy a clone, maybe consider doing it slowly part by part and build it yourself. Keep your M1A and build your clone.
View Quote

The M1A and 7.62/.308 ammo is unsuited for my needs right now. Especially size & weight which is why I was also looking into that XM177E2 clone.

I’ve always been primarily in ARs, but never had any interest in building. I’d much prefer to get partial trade or sell what I have to fund a replacement.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

View Quote
Wrong.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#14]
That doesn't make them PSA. Since they have the same parent company, they're leveraging PSA's ecommerce platform to sell their wares. PSA sells lots of stuff from other vendors.
View Quote

It is a PSA company. Yes it’s under the “umbrella” but psa built the umbrella and put themselves under it. It’s called diversification.

Lengthy discussion
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:

It is a PSA company. Yes it's under the "umbrella" but psa built the umbrella and put themselves under it. It's called diversification.

Lengthy discussion
View Quote
More uninformed speculation.

Here's the guy the was bought out and now runs H&R.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/JJE-HandR-LLC-acquisition-of-NoDak-Spud/123-768993/
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Wrong.

Hmmm

Seems Jamin told me that personally. 🤷🏽
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:15:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#17]
Not familiar with Sabre, but from what was posted by Mike in the link I posted above, it seems clear to me that H&R is a company (and product line) independent of anything from PSA. H&R is subsidiary of JJE, not PSA. That would make H&R a sister company to PSA.

I welcome any correction to my understanding.

ETA: I know that PSA produces a quality product. I own some as well as H&R. The reason I've engaged this, is because 9 of 10 times when I see someone equating H&R with PSA, it's an attempt at casting the quality of H&R into question.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Is that Brownells upper grey? I can’t tell with the lighting. The Fulton definitely is black in the first two pictures but the one with the bayonet I also can’t tell if it’s just the lighting.
View Quote

They should both be black.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]
They look nice,  but too expensive.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:39:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#20]
Not familiar with Sabre, but from what was posted by Mike in the link I posted above, it seems clear to me that H&R is a company (and product line) independent of anything from PSA. H&R is subsidiary of JJE, not PSA. That would make H&R a sister company to PSA.

ETA: I know that PSA produces a quality product. I own some as well as H&R. The reason I've engaged this, is because 9 of 10 times when I see someone equating H&R with PSA, it's an attempt at casting the quality of H&R into question.

View Quote

Please know that I don’t mean to sound argumentative. You contribute a lot of great info on the forum, and I have enjoyed your content, but I think we’re splitting hairs here. JJE is Jamin and Jamin is PSA, so although they are “sister companies” they are all essentially PSA. I say that as a guy who has been buying from PSA since it was ran out of a garage and I own H&Rs, Sabres, PSAs, etc. It’s not a knock on H&R but a testament to PSA, how far they’ve come, and their scope within the firearms industry.

OP, every supplier mentioned in this thread puts out a quality product. I’m just partial to H&R because of the history of the brand.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

JJE is PSA, is H&R, is AAC, is Sabre...
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By rightwing87:

They should both be black.
View Quote

Ah, that’s not what I’m looking for then. 80s gray A2, not 90s black.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top