Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 12:25:41 AM EDT
I'm still fairly new to large frame ARs, but I've read a lot of opinions that adjustable gas is more desirable in large frame due to wider variation between ammo, I want to suppress it eventually but that's quite a way off and I already have a cheapo basic low pro gas block in my spare parts that will fit the barrel but the SLR adjustable blocks look great/have great reviews.

The barrel is a Faxon 18 inch .308 with rifle length gas paired with an A5 length tube/H3 buffer combo.

Is it worth it, would you?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Rifles with proper gas shoot smoother with less perceived recoil.

Since eventually you will suppress the rifle I would go ahead and install the adjustable block now. To me, it is a annoying to disassemble a rifle just to reassemble it with a minor change.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Must have in imo.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rifles with proper gas shoot smoother with less perceived recoil.

Since eventually you will suppress the rifle I would go ahead and install the adjustable block now. To me, it is a annoying to disassemble a rifle just to reassemble it with a minor change.
View Quote

I think I will, although I'm going with a shorter hand guard that will leave the GB exposed so it wouldn't be too much of a pain (not the reason for it, just like the look of a shorter handguard generally), but maybe better to cry once now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use SLR Adj. GB's on all my Large Frame AR's. Very linear adjustments... they all tend to be set at about 6 clicks open from closed of the available 15 clicks.

6.5CM , 308.. various barrel lengths and gas system lengths.

I have only one barrel that was moderately gas ported from the factory. All the others have benefited from an adj GB.

Easier on you, easier on the brass, easier on the parts, and far faster follow up shoots.

I whole heartedly suggest you try one. They dramatically changed my OEM Large Frames into wonderful shooting firearms.

YMMV , since you are running a RLGS on a 18", so slightly less dwell time. But Faxon's tend to be well gassed.

I will be looking forward to your results.

View Quote

Thanks for the details, I think that was the answer I was looking for , just ordered an SLR Sentry (I was between that and the Seekins Select, but I like hard clicks the SLR seems to have), and since no one here has said specifically not to do it...there's my excuse - Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Adjustable gas works in one direction only, it allows you to reduce gas below the gas ports natural aspiration.

I prefer to set my rifles up to run using standard gas blocks and adjusting from there with buffer weights as needed.

My AR-10's use Slash's Heavy Buffers. Most of my 5.56mm carbines use H2's, SBR's with cans use H3's.

Clamp on gas blocks and pinned gas blocks are the most secure IMO and worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm still fairly new to large frame ARs, but I've read a lot of opinions that adjustable gas is more desirable in large frame due to wider variation between ammo, I want to suppress it eventually but that's quite a way off and I already have a cheapo basic low pro gas block in my spare parts that will fit the barrel but the SLR adjustable blocks look great/have great reviews.

The barrel is a Faxon 18 inch .308 with rifle length gas paired with an A5 length tube/H3 buffer combo.

Is it worth it, would you?
View Quote
Never saw the need.

I have 3 large frame .308 AR's. All have regular A2 front sights and are set up with KAK heavy buffers and KAK springs. All 3 run without issues. 1 has about 6000 rounds through it.

In all the years reading this forum, it seems a lot of functioning issues are caused by an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say yes for an AR10 if you are going to suppress it. Factory and surplus ammo can have a pretty wide margin of operating pressures, and over gassing an AR10 is known to introduce failures.

I went with an Odinworks adjustable on both my AR10s
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:56:18 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are intending to suppress it at some point, absolutely yes.  I've had MOSTLY good experiences w/ SLR and so far 100% good experience with the Aero version (fewer rounds through the Aero block, though).
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Do it. It’s the right way to suppress an AR.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I am not an expert by any means at this point in my AR life.   However, dollar for dollar the AGB seems like a no brainer.  You have the ability to fine tune your rifle which is always a beautiful thing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The difference is night and day.  Some people worry about an AGB on an expected 'duty' rifle, but I figure if it comes to that I'll just open it up and stake the adjustment screw.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

be sure to use an Armalite AR-10 rifle-length gas tube with that barrel.  The AR-15 rifle-length gas tube will be a little short, about 3/8" IIRC.

FWIW, I'm very satisfied with my SLR Sentry adj GB for my 308, 6.5CM large-frame AR's.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Better to adjust gas and use cheaper buffers & springs and have flexibility later on.
SLR and Aero are slim enough for skinny rails (~1.3" inner diam), but not the original Seekins product. No experience with others.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#17]
For me, always adjustable gas.
Easy fix for cycling issues and correction for changes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For me, always adjustable gas.
Easy fix for cycling issues and correction for changes.
View Quote

^^ This for me.  I have a PA10 that was picky with ammo.  The adjustable gas block made a world of difference.  It was quite surprising how much more enjoyable is to shoot.  David
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
The answer is always...yes.  Always necessary? No.  Always better to be prepared? Yes
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top