Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look like they’re seldom used.

Department guns?
View Quote
To my knowledge they don't have any PD history
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]
i have 28x.  nice to see one that was born on the same day probably.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I had 544.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I was wondering, how do you know they have Winchester barrels? I have a low SN as well want to see if it has a Winchester barrel. Could you post some pictures of any proof marks that I should be looking for? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quit being a tease!
SP1s with SNs that low could have any number of interesting parts and we have few examples to really study.  I'd love to see some additional pics of BCGs, etc.

(I'm surprised that '64s have Winchester barrels.)
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was wondering, how do you know they have Winchester barrels? I have a low SN as well want to see if it has a Winchester barrel. Could you post some pictures of any proof marks that I should be looking for? Thanks
View Quote
These have the famous W stamped in between the gas block

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Beautiful guns!

Btw, that looks more like a M rather than a W. Don’t know if the meaning is the same
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The ' M' is for Mattel.

Sorry!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you own them or just get access? I'd you own them and can give us a better look at the internals, that'd be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Beautiful guns!

Btw, that looks more like a M rather than a W. Don’t know if the meaning is the same
View Quote
Turn it upside down  Same stamp is on my low serial # 601
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you own them or just get access? I'd you own them and can give us a better look at the internals, that'd be awesome.
View Quote
They're mine. I'll try and get some more detailed pics but early SP1's have been pretty thoroughly documented already. ProbableColtAddict in the industry forum did a nice write up with a lot of detailed pictures of a serial # in the 100s.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you determined that they are 1-14" twist?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Are those FSB's cast or forged?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have you determined that they are 1-14" twist?
View Quote
No, but to the best of my knowledge all Winchester barrels were 1/14 twist.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Turn it upside down  Same stamp is on my low serial # 601
View Quote
It is actually an M not a W if you can trust the research done in the M16 variation guide.  If you look at the M16 variation guide at the top of the forum you will see a picture of a 601 barrel with an M stamped sideways between the legs, then a W stamp under the sight leg with it removed. The W looks like a W in that picture. I had a original 601 upper I took apart. It had the M mark sideways between the legs just like yours. When I took off the fsb it was marked with a VP in a triangle under the leg, not W. The barrel extension was also C marked. I checked it and it was a 1:14 twist. Yours could be Winchester marked but you would have to take it apart and check for more markings to be sure in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Your man cave/gun vault looks like a professional arms room.  
View Quote
Exactly why I first thought they were department guns.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It is actually an M not a W if you can trust the research done in the M16 variation guide.  If you look at the M16 variation guide at the top of the forum you will see a picture of a 601 barrel with an M stamped sideways between the legs, then a W stamp under the sight leg with it removed. The W looks like a W in that picture. I had a original 601 upper I took apart. It had the M mark sideways between the legs just like yours. When I took off the fsb it was marked with a VP in a triangle under the leg, not W. The barrel extension was also C marked. I checked it and it was a 1:14 twist. Yours could be Winchester marked but you would have to take it apart and check for more markings to be sure in my opinion.
View Quote
Hmmm!!! Well now my interest is peaked. I will be taking a much closer look at them when I get back home next week.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:36:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your man cave/gun vault looks like a professional arms room.  
View Quote
Gallow tech is great stuff
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hmmm!!! Well now my interest is peaked. I will be taking a much closer look at them when I get back home next week.
View Quote
The only reason I took my barrel apart was because it was already missing a pin in the front sight base. If yours have never been messed with, I would definitely not remove the FSB just to find out. The barrels look correct and are probably late 601 1:14 barrels. I have my doubts they are W marked barrels though, but who knows? Those are Beautiful rifles, I'm jealous! I also agree....your gun room is Fantastic!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Once the run on the 1:14 were done I thought the 1:12 were marked with the number 12 somewhere on the muzzle end?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Could we see more of the man cave/gun vault?  I'm interested in the Gallow Tech stuff!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Once the run on the 1:14 were done I thought the 1:12 were marked with the number 12 somewhere on the muzzle end?
View Quote
You are correct, but there are BOTH Winchester AND Colt 1/14 barrels
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Just some old guns, who would ever want those?  ME!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:40:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Could we see more of the man cave/gun vault?  I'm interested in the Gallow Tech stuff!
View Quote
About a year old. Unfortunately they've had a lot of children since this was taken

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The only reason I took my barrel apart was because it was already missing a pin in the front sight base. If yours have never been messed with, I would definitely not remove the FSB just to find out. The barrels look correct and are probably late 601 1:14 barrels. I have my doubts they are W marked barrels though, but who knows? Those are Beautiful rifles, I'm jealous! I also agree....your gun room is Fantastic!!
View Quote
I definitely wont be removing the FSB but will be getting out the calipers and comparing the barrel on my 601 which is in the 500s
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

About a year old. Unfortunately they've had a lot of children since this was taken

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/282730/retros_jpg-1268245.JPG
View Quote
Nice set up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice set up.
View Quote
I like hiw you can sit on the toilet while playing with your friends
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I like hiw you can sit on the toilet while playing with your friends
View Quote
Its a brand new toliet and not hooked up. Just couldn't think if a more fitting way to display the polytech
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Its a brand new toliet and not hooked up. Just couldn't think if a more fitting way to display the polytech
View Quote
NOW you tell me, after I spent all morning installing rifle racks in my bathrooms!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#33]
very nice
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Love that photo!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top