Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By teamjawbox:

Can't speak for him, but I've bought multiple sets from PK Firearms in the last couple months.  Most recently about a month ago.  You may want to check with them as they seem to have a good stock.
View Quote

No dice.

In no rush to get a set, Leupold has had my 2.5-8 for going on 4 weeks now anyway.

Probably going to go fishing for a set next week with a trade for a MK13 MARS rail
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TheShlouf:

No dice.

In no rush to get a set, Leupold has had my 2.5-8 for going on 4 weeks now anyway.

Probably going to go fishing for a set next week with a trade for a MK13 MARS rail
View Quote

Is leupold accepting custom work now?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By latheman:

Is leupold accepting custom work now?
View Quote

I don't think so. The reticle had a couple of small dust/debris specs, so I sent it in to get cleaned up with some other stuff that was headed to Beaverton.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Where'd you buy them from? Been wanting to get a set to run the 2.5-8 on my mod 1 for a while and couldn't fine any in stock the last time I looked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mstennes:
I know I asked a while ago but, who’s the mad machinest who removes the lever stop bumps on the newer A.R.M.S. Rings? I finely got around to buying a set and they just came today. Thanks again.

Where'd you buy them from? Been wanting to get a set to run the 2.5-8 on my mod 1 for a while and couldn't fine any in stock the last time I looked.

I got mine from a member here off this thread. I have a set of #32 lows that don’t have the lever stops. They won’t work on my MOD 0, with the Leupold 3x9 Mark 4 I have if interested email me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:18:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mstennes] [#5]
Originally Posted By Gremyashchy1911:

That would be one one and only “Cant stop, Won’t stop”
Aka HaveBlue83.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mstennes:
I know I asked a while ago but, who’s the mad machinest who removes the lever stop bumps on the newer A.R.M.S. Rings? I finely got around to buying a set and they just came today. Thanks again.

That would be one one and only “Cant stop, Won’t stop”
Aka HaveBlue83.

Thank you!
@HaveBlue83 IM sent your way
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]

I don't think so. The reticle had a couple of small dust/debris specs, so I sent it in to get cleaned up with some other stuff that was headed to Beaverton.
View Quote

Thanks, I had my hopes up for a minute!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
KAC 99167 marked rails are older than KAC 21318 marked rails, yes? Anyone know when the transition period was when markings changed? I acknowledge there are many many older variants, im talking about the current font/style and just the 21318 vs 99167.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
KAC 99167 marked rails are older than KAC 21318 marked rails, yes? Anyone know when the transition period was when markings changed? I acknowledge there are many many older variants, im talking about the current font/style and just the 21318 vs 99167.
View Quote

I bought mine new in 2018 with the 99167 PN, so I guess I'm interested in the same info
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I see mine!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ringer706:
Another big step. Finished with engraving and off to the last stop, anodizing!

https://i.imgur.com/h25ed33.jpg
View Quote

I think I see mine!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Well mock up is looking good and boy oh boy this thing has some gravity in her.

Yes the gas block is not installed, forgot my torch at work so I wasn't able to get it persuaded into place.
Now just to track down a box of Mk262 for speed data and work up a handload to match.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks great! Glad I'm not the only one who had a hard time getting the gas block on. Pretty sure the set screws are just security theater on mine. Heated it up in the oven at 400 and it still took me pounding it on with a lead pipe against a block of wood to get it set on the journal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:51:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ringer706] [#13]
Originally Posted By deadpunch:
Another big step. Finished with engraving and off to the last stop, anodizing!

https://i.imgur.com/h25ed33.jpg
View Quote

I think I see mine!
View Quote

Let me know which one it is from the photo and I'll make sure it goes in your mailer
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks great! Glad I'm not the only one who had a hard time getting the gas block on. Pretty sure the set screws are just security theater on mine. Heated it up in the oven at 400 and it still took me pounding it on with a lead pipe against a block of wood to get it set on the journal.
View Quote

Yeah I had the barrel in the freezer last night after I got it in and cleaned it (is a used barrel) then looked around for my mini torch or ts-8000 and remembered they are both at work. So in desperation I broke out the zippo and got it as hot as I could stand and made it about a quarter inch from home and got it stuck. Finally got it back off with a composite mallet and some luck. Will not be so school girl excited tomorrow after work and do it right.
Measured the barrel and gas clock and it looks like it’s only half to one thousandth interference so shouldn’t be too bad.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:01:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JackHass] [#15]
Originally Posted By ilikebmxbikes:
i was going to do another run of 15-20 or so of mk12 mod 1. Im making some mk13 manuals for some guys and was gonna do them at the same time.
View Quote

You can put me down for 2 Mod 0's and 2 Mod 1's
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#16]

No dice.

View All Quotes

Can't speak for him, but I've bought multiple sets from PK Firearms in the last couple months.  Most recently about a month ago.  You may want to check with them as they seem to have a good stock.

No dice.

Not sure what leupold is doing for you but I talked to them 2 days ago about a reticle swap on my mk6 and custom shop is still closed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Whoever recommended Citristrip, thank you!  Stuff works like a charm.

Now she's ready for the new lower.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#18]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/343681/SmartSelect_20210417-210658_Gallery_jpg-1908904.JPG
View Quote

Citristrip don't fuck around.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:29:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: teamjawbox] [#19]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/343681/SmartSelect_20210417-210658_Gallery_jpg-1908904.JPG

You ain't kidding! I had been scrubbing with Acetone and it was misery.  Between the fumes and the smudging left behind it was hard work.  With Citristrip I brushed it on and walked away, came back an hour later and wiped it off.  Applied a second coat if needed.  Still need to clean up some of the nook and cranny areas, such as the serial number/safe/semi recess, but its making short work of it.  I coated my vietnam era m16A1 stock with Citristrip and the 3+ layers of paint basically wiped away with paper towels.  Stock looks as good as it did pre-paint.  Definitely doesn't leave traces behind and doesn't appear to damage any of the materials at all.

That said, I didn't remove the forearm, so the barrel is still painted under there, but will prob leave it be.  After I get the GM lower I plan on doing a new rattlecan job anyway after taking photos without paint.  

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#20]
BTW, still hunting for a correct M2 elevation dial if anyone has one they'd part with.  Got the barrel lined up for the flats to be milled, just waiting on the set screw FSGB to come in.  

I think between the set screw FSGB, the guide rod, and the GM lower that are all soon to arrive I'll just need the AEM5 (had a backorder in for 5 months now) and M2 dial and this puppy will essentially be complete.  Though I just remembered I still need a manual.  But it's getting very close!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:01:17 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Those are two beautiful PRI tube rifles! So jealous of that Holland.
I think I’ll have to work on my Holland next, I dread doing a Mod0.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Those are two beautiful PRI tube rifles! So jealous of that Holland.
I think I’ll have to work on my Holland next, I dread doing a Mod0.
View Quote

The 0 has so much flavor though, don't dread it
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I know they aren't clone perfect, but I picked up my AEM5 yesterday and I'm stoked to get out and shoot them one evening this week.

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gremyashchy1911] [#24]
Originally Posted By kmcale:

View Quote

The only reason I dread it is I would want it to be prefect and have as close to all original parts for a early straight PRI hardguard as I could and that stuff is hard to come by. Yes I could get the PRI reproduction stuff but it’s just not the same after seeing builds like Lancecriminal86 and the OG one budget buget had in TNP years ago.
That’s the only reason I started with the Mod 1 years ago I thought it was going to be easier to get correct enough for my level of OCD and boy was I wrong
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#25]

The only reason I dread it is I would want it to be prefect and have as close to all original parts for a early straight PRI hardguard as I could and that stuff is hard to come by. Yes I could get the PRI reproduction stuff but it’s just not the same after seeing builds like Lancecriminal86 and the OG one budget buget had in TNP years ago.
That’s the only reason I started with the Mod 1 years ago I thought it was going to be easier to get correct enough for my level of OCD and boy was I wrong
View All Quotes

If you're going for early mod 0 that would definitely be an interesting build.  The parts are out there, just takes lots of patience and $$.  I chose a late mod 0 for my first MK12 as that's the one that is the iconic GWOT rifle to me.  Had a lot of help with parts from this thread, but patience has been key.  The ARMS #38 PEQ sleeve was a real blessing and the milsurp early gen 3 tube on a milsurp colt m4 upper, colt bcg, milsurp colt a1 grip and stock, clone correct folding front (full address) and rear sight (no wing), etc.  Still have a few more things to do such as having flats milled on my Douglas barrel and replacing FSB with set screw version.  But am at roughly 80% of the criteria I'm following.  Am using the pics that we're posted on the hide a year or two ago of an issued gen 3 as rough guideline.   Its been a long road but hope to get it to 95% sometime over the next year.

That said, I have no intention of sourcing all issued parts. After all,  I'm building a clone, not purchasing an original issued rifle.  There's a difference in my opinion, though both are wonderful.  There was a guy a few years back that did so much machining and fabrication of his own parts on an early SPR clone and I admired that so much.  Wish I had the skills to do that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By unstabl:
I know they aren't clone perfect, but I picked up my AEM5 yesterday and I'm stoked to get out and shoot them one evening this week.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60012/33E516ED-217C-4BF6-9466-AFD4C1ECA8C1-1909145.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60012/87183098-8BFC-4741-9264-4FAB161AF412-1909146.jpg
View Quote

Congrats on picking up the AEM5!  Looking good!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#27]

If you're going for early mod 0 that would definitely be an interesting build.  The parts are out there, just takes lots of patience and $$.  I chose a late mod 0 for my first MK12 as that's the one that is the iconic GWOT rifle to me.  Had a lot of help with parts from this thread, but patience has been key.  The ARMS #38 PEQ sleeve was a real blessing and the milsurp early gen 3 tube on a milsurp colt m4 upper, colt bcg, milsurp colt a1 grip and stock, clone correct folding front (full address) and rear sight (no wing), etc.  Still have a few more things to do such as having flats milled on my Douglas barrel and replacing FSB with set screw version.  But am at roughly 80% of the criteria I'm following.  Am using the pics that we're posted on the hide a year or two ago of an issued gen 3 as rough guideline.   Its been a long road but hope to get it to 95% sometime over the next year.

That said, I have no intention of sourcing all issued parts. After all,  I'm building a clone, not purchasing an original issued rifle.  There's a difference in my opinion, though both are wonderful.  There was a guy a few years back that did so much machining and fabrication of his own parts on an early SPR clone and I admired that so much.  Wish I had the skills to do that kind of stuff.
View Quote

I think I would be ok with having new parts such as the barrel and internal parts but the rest I would like to have as correct model parts. Wish I would have been a smart teenager and bought parts when I was looking at this thread early on but I was spending money on whisky instead .
I remember seeing ARMS rails on eBay and thinking I’d always be able to snag on later.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:24:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Am using the pics that we're posted on the hide a year or two ago of an issued gen 3 as rough guideline.
View Quote

You have piqued my interest; do you have a link to the thread with those images?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:40:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: teamjawbox] [#29]
Originally Posted By Markius-Fox:

You have piqued my interest; do you have a link to the thread with those images?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Markius-Fox:

Am using the pics that we're posted on the hide a year or two ago of an issued gen 3 as rough guideline.

IM sent with link.  Edit: Doing IM as I'm not sure what the rules are on posting links to that site.  But those are a gold mine of photos for MK12 cloning community.  Pretty sure those photos answered a ton of questions that had been lingering for years.  If I could buy the OP a case of good beer I would!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Finally got it all put together freezer and "map" torch made short work of the gas block install and the screws are a joke that thing is not going anywhere. Like nuclear proof with just interference fit.

GWOT buddies I did have the wrong magazine in the M4orgery
PS anyone want to let me borrow on a permanent basis 20rds of MK262   I kid, I kid   just need to find some powder and then I can see how ugly I can make some brass look with ejector swipes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got it all put together freezer and "map" torch made short work of the gas block install and the screws are a joke that thing is not going anywhere. Like nuclear proof with just interference fit.
https://i.imgur.com/es3r3xO.jpg
GWOT buddies I did have the wrong magazine in the M4orgery
PS anyone want to let me borrow on a permanent basis 20rds of MK262   I kid, I kid   just need to find some powder and then I can see how ugly I can make some brass look with ejector swipes.
View Quote

Very nice!!  Seeing builds like this makes me want to try a mod 1 build.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Very nice!!  Seeing builds like this makes me want to try a mod 1 build.
View Quote

Thanks it’s been a fun build for sure.
I really like it and don’t think I’ve laid it down all day, it’s been following me around the house wearing out my arms she’s a pig. I still need to source or make the rear sling adapter out of a old eagle front sling mount. May go dig around at the local A/N stores and see what crops up. As well as get over to my FFL in the morning and test fit the silencer to just see how it fits.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Figured I’d check fleabay before ordering a new one from Otis. Glad I did.

Attachment Attached File

Dewey rod on the way along with the bore guide soon. All my deployment kit will need is the manual
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#34]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/223848/B648EA87-0D0A-4194-8085-C0460C5757F2_jpe-1911656.JPG

Dewey rod on the way along with the bore guide soon. All my deployment kit will need is the manual
View Quote

Nice score! Guess I need to keep my head on a swivel for one as well. I need to go back and look at the differences so I get the right one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Nice score! Guess I need to keep my head on a swivel for one as well. I need to go back and look at the differences so I get the right one.
View Quote

still plenty available
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#36]

still plenty available
View Quote

But it doesn’t have the cool sharpie marks tho
I’ll probably pick one up. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:30:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: teamjawbox] [#37]

still plenty available
View All Quotes

still plenty available

When I looked at the ad the background made me think it was the same seller that has the issued TS30 posted for like $2700 $2900.  Turns out it isnt same seller though.  Would love to have that optic but no way I'm shelling out near $3k for it.  MRT will have to do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:06:21 AM EDT
[#38]

When I looked at the ad the background made me think it was the same seller that has the issued TS30 posted for like $2700 $2900.  Turns out it isnt same seller though.  Would love to have that optic but no way I'm shelling out near $3k for it.  MRT will have to do.
View Quote

That’s a crazy price for that scope. I get that it’s a older model that’s not made anymore but dang that’s just too much. I would still love to get a Mk4 3-9 but not at that kind of cash not a chance. That’s the real reason I went X50 NF over Mk4 the gap in price was just starting to get too close.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#39]
i was going to do another run of 15-20 or so of mk12 mod 1. Im making some mk13 manuals for some guys and was gonna do them at the same time.
View Quote

Sent a PM but I bet theres enough interest you're going to run out of inbox space. Anyways add me to the list of folks looking for a manual. Also would kill for a mk13 mod 5 manual (Hard copy or pdf) Ideally for Stiller receivers as I've heard it's slightly different. You're doing the clone world a huge service!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#41]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/223848/B648EA87-0D0A-4194-8085-C0460C5757F2_jpe-1911656.JPG

View Quote

Bore guide soon indeed!

Quick update for everyone: Talked to the plating shop this afternoon to get an update and he said they're prepped and should be going in the tank tomorrow. Basically we got in there right behind a few big batches which is what held us back. They should be ready to pick up Thursday or Friday. If that's the case, these things should be hitting the post office come next week.

Thanks again for the patience everyone! I know it's now looking like 2 weeks later to ship than I had hoped, but we're nearly there!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Bore guide soon indeed!

Quick update for everyone: Talked to the plating shop this afternoon to get an update and he said they're prepped and should be going in the tank tomorrow. Basically we got in there right behind a few big batches which is what held us back. They should be ready to pick up Thursday or Friday. If that's the case, these things should be hitting the post office come next week.

Thanks again for the patience everyone! I know it's now looking like 2 weeks later to ship than I had hoped, but we're nearly there
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:22:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#43]

Bore guide soon indeed!

Thanks again for the patience everyone! I know it's now looking like 2 weeks later to ship than I had hoped, but we're nearly there!
View Quote

Last piece of the pie for me (excluding a happy switch)
I, and many others here, really appreciate the work you put into this project.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ringer706] [#44]

Last piece of the pie for me (excluding a happy switch)
I, and many others here, really appreciate the work you put into this project.
View Quote

It's good to hear that, thank you. Wish it wouldn't have taken so long but much of that has been out of my hands unfortunately

All that aside, I've been talking to some folks about some things... how much appetite would there be for a faux-Mk12 suppressor? Something that would be dimensionally true to the OPS Inc/Allen engineering specs, would interface like the real deal on the brake/collar, but probably made out of aluminum, and well, very much NOT a suppressor .  Still need to get some legal/technical questions answered before I can commit too much. Just trying to read the room here.

ETA: Words and stuff. English is hard
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#45]

still plenty available
View Quote
Grab one! The damn shipping/taxes made it not as enjoyable, but it's whatever.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By js1977:
Grab one! The damn shipping/taxes made it not as enjoyable, but it's whatever.
View Quote

ehh not terrible, still a better deal than a new one from Otis

He sold 8 in the last 24 hours, I def should have gotten a commission
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

I would like one too.

Also, isn’t the correct Otis kit the “multi caliber” kit? NSN 1005-01-526-7354
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#48]
Originally Posted By ResponsibleSecond:

I would like one too.

View Quote

Idk about the NSN, but the photos of ITW kits I've seen have the OTIS in black.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I too went with the tan (1005-01-448-8513) due to availability at the time of purchasing - was also an ebay find a few years back
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ResponsibleSecond:

I would like one too.

View Quote

I went hunting based on limited research and this post in this thread from @Samson-Dogg
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#50]

It's good to hear that, thank you. Wish it wouldn't have taken so long but much of that has been out of my hands unfortunately

All that aside, I've been talking to some folks about some things... how much appetite would there be for a faux-Mk12 suppressor? Something that would be dimensionally true to the OPS Inc/Allen engineering specs, would interface like the real deal on the brake/collar, but probably made out of aluminum, and well, very much NOT a suppressor .  Still need to get some legal/technical questions answered before I can commit too much. Just trying to read the room here.

ETA: Words and stuff. English is hard
View Quote

Projects with multiple vendors take time even more so in custom small batch runs. I wasn’t worried about it at all I know how one small setback can add time on a project. As AVE said, if worst case is 6 weeks start to finish plan to ship product at 6 months .
I’m just glad I was hanging around when it happened this time!
I would be in for two faux silencers if the wheels get rolling on that.

Anyone know of a good substitute for the eagle rear sling adapter or have good pictures/documentation of how it’s laid out so I can fire up the sewing machine.
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top