Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 263
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

Link?  The few places I checked last week were all OSS.
View Quote

Y'all knock yourselves out. IG is more than GTG.

KAC 99051 Taupe
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Y'all knock yourselves out. IG is more than GTG.

KAC 99051 Taupe
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 3:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#3]
@alpha0815

Interstate Guns is OOS as well.  Website said 154 in stock.  Placed order for one.  Got a call from IG saying website is wrong as they don't have any in stock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:26:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PATBAROK] [#4]
Thoroughbred Armament has used black ones in stock-if anyone wants to get creative with a can of Krylon

https://www.thoroughbredarmco.com/product/347/
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my tan kac from thoroughbred today, it's probly the worst of the bunch  

but it'll work!
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
@alpha0815

Interstate Guns is OOS as well.  Website said 154 in stock.  Placed order for one.  Got a call from IG saying website is wrong as they don't have any in stock.
View Quote

Woah, that is wild. I ordered one from them this morning and it says "ready to ship".

Sorry that happened, odd glitch I guess. I'll keep an eye out elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Going to need another MK16 rail in 13.5" to finish up a build. I guess G is the only option as of recently?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Woah, that is wild. I ordered one from them this morning and it says "ready to ship".

Sorry that happened, odd glitch I guess. I'll keep an eye out elsewhere.
View Quote

No worries.  I thought it was nice of them to actually call me and tell me they were out of stock and apologized.  I'll keep them in mind for future purchases.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:05:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#9]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Going to need another MK16 rail in 13.5" to finish up a build. I guess G is the only option as of recently?
View Quote

Yes, unless there's another rail that was used on the URGI that we don't know of.

If you mean retailers that have them available for purchase at the moment, I'm not exactly sure.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

Yes, unless there's another rail that was used on the URGI that we don't know of.

If you mean retailers that have them available for purchase at the moment, I'm not exactly sure.
View Quote

Obviously, I’m looking for a MK16…not an alternative.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Obviously, I’m looking for a MK16…not an alternative.
View Quote

I've got a blemula I keep being too lazy to put up for sale if you dont mind the blemula tag.  No actual blems that I can identify, just the logo on the underside.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#13]

No worries.  I thought it was nice of them to actually call me and tell me they were out of stock and apologized.  I'll keep them in mind for future purchases.
View Quote

I found a website called Bauer Precision that had the KAC 99051 Taupe in stock, just placed an order and got a confirmation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BuckshotBobCA:

I found a website called Bauer Precision that had the KAC 99051 Taupe in stock, just placed an order and got a confirmation.
View Quote

Thanks.  Placed an order for one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Bauer is good folks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By apocalypserisin:

I've got a blemula I keep being too lazy to put up for sale if you dont mind the blemula tag.  No actual blems that I can identify, just the logo on the underside.
View Quote

Yeah, unfortunately I've got a blem too...but not by choice. Sent my URG-I upper off to get pin / welded and someone's rotary tool got away from them. It's ugly and I'm looking for a new replacement.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Yeah, unfortunately I've got a blem too...but not by choice. Sent my URG-I upper off to get pin / welded and someone's rotary tool got away from them. It's ugly and I'm looking for a new replacement.
View Quote

Spray paint will cover that up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Spray paint will cover that up.
View Quote

Not really the look I’m going for. Plus the shop that did this needs to make it right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Not really the look I’m going for. Plus the shop that did this needs to make it right.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/311137/D75938D9-B987-4F87-8C93-78607FF3586B_jpe-2371010.JPG
View Quote

Yikes.  How does that happen during a p&w?  Who did the work?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Subpar:

Yikes.  How does that happen during a p&w?  Who did the work?
View Quote

My best guess is since I know they do work with rotary tools, someone set it down near it before it finished rotating....hit the rail.

I'm going to give them a little more time to see how they handle before I call them out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Pin and Weld just came back from D. Wilson - getting close now...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Mind if we see a pic of the P/W work?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Here you go:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Did he use the chamfered .050" spacer?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

View All Quotes

It's interesting because when I look at it, it doesn't appear so.

Odd, considering I gave him the whole package that included the 4-prong and all the shims and spacer that comes with it. Think I just assumed he'd use/install what you normally would (he's obviously done these before).

I checked the alignment with my Geissele alignment rod and it looks perfect, for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Same with mine…although a different shop. No chamfered washer.

Although your P/W looks a hell of a lot better.

Attachment Attached File

I swear, I’m done with sending stuff off for service. I’ve learned to do everything else myself…except I don’t weld.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Welding isn't that hard to learn. Especially just tacking. I'd never send an ar out for work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Odd, considering I gave him the whole package that included the 4-prong and all the shims and spacer that comes with it. Think I just assumed he'd use/install what you normally would (he's obviously done these before).

I checked the alignment with my Geissele alignment rod and it looks perfect, for what that's worth.
View Quote

Same with mine…although a different shop. No chamfered washer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/311137/A8318949-2331-4C0B-8CE5-5DA41347465E_jpe-2371144.JPG

I swear, I’m done with sending stuff off for service. I’ve learned to do everything else myself…except I don’t weld.
View Quote

I saw his example pictures on the website and they don't have crush washers at all. I emailed and asked that if I sent a Surefire muzzle device in if he would would install it with the factory shims.

He said: "We generally do install shims when doing a pin and weld per OEM guidance."

I'm hesitant to send in a $375 barrel and $150 muzzle device that I can only buy once a year if I'm not sure it will be installed correctly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:36:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#29]

I saw his example pictures on the website and they don't have crush washers at all. I emailed and asked that if I sent a Surefire muzzle device in if he would would install it with the factory shims.

He said: "We generally do install shims when doing a pin and weld per OEM guidance."

I'm hesitant to send in a $375 barrel and $150 muzzle device that I can only buy once a year if I'm not sure it will be installed correctly.
View All Quotes

Same with minealthough a different shop. No chamfered washer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/311137/A8318949-2331-4C0B-8CE5-5DA41347465E_jpe-2371144.JPG

I swear, I'm done with sending stuff off for service. I've learned to do everything else myselfexcept I don't weld.

If it's pinned and welded, does it even matter if the chamfered spacer is used or not?

Assuming alignment is spot on (I checked myself and it's perfect), does it matter?

Like, if the 4-prong is welded on there and it's properly aligned, what would be the concern?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I should also add that Dave said because my barrel had the proper thread relief, that the chamfered spacer wasn't necessary - it wasn't required to get the muzzle to sit flush against the barrel.

If a barrel does not have the proper thread relief, the chamfered spacer is used.

And he also said in addition to that, he checks the alignment as well before it leaves.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:51:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subpar] [#31]

If it's pinned and welded, does it even matter if the chamfered spacer is used or not?

Assuming alignment is spot on (I checked myself and it's perfect), does it matter?

Like, if the 4-prong is welded on there and it's properly aligned, what would be the concern?
View Quote

The chamfered spacer is only needed for barrels that don’t have a relief cut in the threads at the shoulder.

I use it cause it looks better and “more correct”.

Eta:  I see you covered that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:53:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#32]
It looks better without the shiny spacer anyways, but maybe some want it for "clone" purposes?    Its just more added length that isn't necessary and it won't affect function (as long as you have a quality barrel), and no..it is NOT a "crush washer."     I have never used that spacer on any of my barrels that take SF mounts.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I should also add that Dave said because my barrel had the proper thread relief, that the chamfered spacer wasn't necessary - it wasn't required to get the muzzle to sit flush against the barrel.

If a barrel does not have the proper thread relief, the chamfered spacer is used.

And he also said in addition to that, he checks the alignment as well before it leaves.
View Quote

The chamfered spacer is only needed for barrels that don’t have a relief cut in the threads at the shoulder.

I use it cause it looks better and “more correct”.
View Quote

We're in a clone thread.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#34]

We're in a clone thread.
View All Quotes

The chamfered spacer is only needed for barrels that don't have a relief cut in the threads at the shoulder.

I use it cause it looks better and "more correct".

We're in a clone thread.

I actually didn't even think about that.

Good point.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Also, for function on a CQBR with a short 10.3" barrel (like an FN heavy barrel), the suppressor won't mount unless the .050" shim is there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:50:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#36]
delete
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Also, for function on a CQBR with a short 10.3" barrel (like an FN heavy barrel), the suppressor won't mount unless the .050" shim is there.
View Quote

Yeah my 10.3" CQBR definitely has the .050" chamfered spacer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#38]

We're in a clone thread.
View Quote

Yes

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

That's why Geissele made the rail 9.3 inches long.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#40]

That's why Geissele made the rail 9.3 inches long.
View Quote

I prefer my 6.2" all the way in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#41]

I prefer my 6.2" all the way in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138579/20220403_135106_2_jpg-2371265.JPG
View Quote

I thought this was the URGI thread.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#42]

I thought this was the URGI thread.
View Quote

You have to admit that the URG-I would be sexier if it was flush.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#43]

You have to admit that the URG-I would be sexier if it was flush.
View Quote

I think that every time I look at mine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#44]
The unpopular but correct opinion is that pin & welds are sacrilege. They not only ruin a perfectly good barrel and four prong flash hider, but destroy the true clone potential of the upper itself. Either pay the man his $200, or be a man and disregard NFA laws because they're stupid and shouldn't be adhered to anyways.

Beveled spacer is also a must. At least for M4A1 URG's, it's what's instructed in the TRS. For the rest of y'all the "inspired" thread is that way >>>
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:45:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#46]
Originally Posted By tanodized:
The unpopular but correct opinion is that pin & welds are sacrilege. They not only ruin a perfectly good barrel and four prong flash hider, but destroy the true clone potential of the upper itself. Either pay the man his $200, or be a man and disregard NFA laws because they're stupid and shouldn't be adhered to anyways.

Beveled spacer is also a must. At least for M4A1 URG's, it's what's instructed in the TRS. For the rest of y'all the "inspired" thread is that way >>>
View Quote

You must have a 3rd pin and SSF trigger in your Colt M4A1 lower.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:26:26 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

This man is 110% correct
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:52:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThRob] [#48]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

This man is 110% correct
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:

This man is 110% correct

Another unpopular but correct opinion is unless you have a legit select-fire M4 lower of some sort, every "clone" build is an "inspired" build. It is what it is.

Be happy with what you got, and don't poo-poo on what makes other people happy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ThRob:

Another unpopular but correct opinion is unless you have a legit select-fire M4 lower of some sort, every "clone" build is an "inspired" build. It is what it is.

Be happy with what you got, and don't poo-poo on what makes other people happy.
View Quote

I'm not agreeing with what he said but you can own an identical, indistinguishable clone of just the URG-I. It's an upper receiver group, not a complete rifle and all of the parts have been available commercially. If this is what someone is wanting to own, a flash suppressor that isn't installed correctly isn't correct. Nor is a pinned and welded flash suppressor but I can understand it for those that need to do so.

As far as the own what you want part. I feel like that horse has been beaten but own what you want just don't say it's a clone if it's not. For instance, I have DDC receiver URG-Is with different accessories but I don't call them clones. They are "what ifs" or "inspired by" builds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#50]

I'm not agreeing with what he said but you can own an identical, indistinguishable clone of just the URG-I. It's an upper receiver group, not a complete rifle and all of the parts have been available commercially. If this is what someone is wanting to own, a flash suppressor that isn't installed correctly isn't correct. Nor is a pinned and welded flash suppressor but I can understand it for those that need to do so.

As far as the own what you want part. I feel like that horse has been beaten but own what you want just don't say it's a clone if it's not. For instance, I have DDC receiver URG-Is with different accessories but I don't call them clones. They are "what ifs" or "inspired by" builds.
View Quote

I can see that with the upper, but really it's still a complete package. You wouldn't want someone dropping the URGI upper on a WWSD2020 lower and call it a clone. There are some guidelines and minimums to what people generally will call a clone, but at the same time other people get way too wrapped up in the minutia and the elitist mindset.
Page / 263
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top