Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 87
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jhon:

I'm running a current production 6933 barrel with .074 gas port, unrestricted/standard Geissele Super Gas Block, Colt H buffer, and Colt carbine spring. This is how Colt ships the 6933 (this rifle was originally a 6933) and is how the regional SWAT rifles are configured. It runs perfect unsuppressed though I may go with an H2 with a suppressor.

If your rifle is going to be used as a patrol rifle I would discourage using a port restricted block. It's not needed and the gas ports used on Colt barrels when paired with an H or H2 buffer are good for a variety of duty and training ammunition without being too much or too little.

ETA: Updated pic of my rifle

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77573/8F4BDFDF-65F2-4D66-B7B2-30BEEB1CB616_jpe-2483074.JPG

Almost clone correct for regional SWAT. Started as a factory 6933 SBR, sold the original skinny FSB barrel and BCG off and kept the upper receiver and charging handle. I've got a Surefire SOCOM RC2 on the way and it seems more fitting than my Dead Air Sandman S. The Spuhr HRT mount has been seen on regional guns but a DD mount would be more correct. I just don't care for the rock and lock DD mount.

Colt M4LE lower with factory Colt LPK (H Buffer is factory on the 6933)
Magpul CTR
Colt upper
Colt charging handle
Colt BCG
Colt 6933 .750 gas block barrel
Geissele Mk4 Fed
Geissele stainless Super Gas Block set screwed to barrel
Surefire SFCT Closed Tine Flash Hider
Troy sights front and rear
Aimpoint T2 in a Spuhr HRT mount
Inforce WML gen 2
Salty VTAC sling I had laying around
View Quote

Interesting, from what I recall there were a number of guys in this thread running the same port restriction or a restricted gas tube, the FBI itself was running a port restriction on all the SWAT guns as far as I knew.

And I thought the consensus was more or less that .074 gas port was pretty substantially over gassed for an 11.5 barrel? I realize Colt ships that standard, but a lot of companies way over gas their guns so the average gun owner can run garbage like Tula.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Curious how the contract is laid out and if other agencies (besides) FBATFE can piggy back off of it like their ammo contracts
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:46:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhon] [#3]
Originally Posted By AZgunner:

Interesting, from what I recall there were a number of guys in this thread running the same port restriction or a restricted gas tube, the FBI itself was running a port restriction on all the SWAT guns as far as I knew.

And I thought the consensus was more or less that .074 gas port was pretty substantially over gassed for an 11.5 barrel? I realize Colt ships that standard, but a lot of companies way over gas their guns so the average gun owner can run garbage like Tula.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

.074 is a little large but not gaping like other manufacturers. It runs good with 5.56mm ammunition without harsh recoil and you will not get gas to face unsuppressed. The 6933 in particular is marketed towards law enforcement with significant variety of both 5.56mm and .223 pressure ammunition. One of the best duty loads of all time, the Gold Dot 223, is very mild.

The standard Super Gas Block is correct - from Page 67 (this barrel must be an HRT heavy as it has the .070" gas port)

Originally Posted By elucidate:
For those making actual clones, once I've thoroughly sanitized some images I'll post some examples of the huge variations between rifles.

The information to follow is specific to regional SWAT.

For this post, I wanted to touch on gas blocks. You will sometimes see the Troy if the rifle is an early conversion and it is not a regularly used gun. (they cut barrels and opened gas ports early on in this program)

For newly built uppers, or guns with replacement barrels they use Colt barrels with the Geissele gas block.

What you will see here is a gas block taken from a Gen 1 Federal rail, issued directly to Quantico with the rail (as in, contract fulfillment, this is not a commercially obtained rail), and then a picture of a regular commercial gas block that shipped with a normal G rail.

Notice they are exactly the same. At some point they may have been shipping restricted gas ports with the rails, but seemingly not now. The gas port on the barrel is 0.70.

They also do not use the pin, and only use the set screws.

Factory
https://i.imgur.com/jYXMFvN.jpg

FBI
https://i.imgur.com/ctTbAlp.jpg

Another post on page 68 mentions issues with cycling ammunition with the .067 BRT insert when running an H2 unsuppressed.

My opinion from running a stock 6933 as a patrol rifle unsuppressed it's just about perfect as it runs just about anything without cycling 5.56mm ammunition too hard. I wouldn't start messing with the gas system unless you're running a suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#4]

.074 is a little large but not gaping like other manufacturers. It runs good with 5.56mm ammunition without harsh recoil and you will not get gas to face unsuppressed. The 6933 in particular is marketed towards law enforcement with significant variety of both 5.56mm and .223 pressure ammunition. One of the best duty loads of all time, the Gold Dot 223, is very mild.

The standard Super Gas Block is correct - from Page 67 (this barrel must be an HRT heavy as it has the .070" gas port)

Another post on page 68 mentions issues with cycling ammunition with the .067 BRT insert when running an H2 unsuppressed.

My opinion from running a stock 6933 as a patrol rifle unsuppressed it's just about perfect as it runs just about anything without cycling 5.56mm ammunition too hard. I wouldn't start messing with the gas system unless you're running a suppressor.
View Quote

Well fuck. My upper is already being assembled by my armorer, using my BRT restricted Geissele super gas block. I’ll run a shit ton of M193 through it with a regular H buffer and see how it runs. If it can eat huge quantities of cheap M193 clones (Wolf Gold, PMC, ect), then I can probably trust it with duty ammo, which generally seems to be a bit hotter than practice ammo. I’ll keep an eye on the ejection pattern and see how it runs. I won’t put it into duty use without several hundred trouble free rounds.

Worst case scenario, I’ll have to replace the gas block with a non port restricted one. A pain in the ass, but not the end of the world.

I’m hoping it’ll run fine like this unsuppressed and be a dream suppressed, because it’s looking more and more likely that we’re going to be authorized suppressors within the next year or two.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Well fuck. My upper is already being assembled by my armorer, using my BRT restricted Geissele super gas block. I’ll run a shit ton of M193 through it with a regular H buffer and see how it runs. If it can eat huge quantities of cheap M193 clones (Wolf Gold, PMC, ect), then I can probably trust it with duty ammo, which generally seems to be a bit hotter than practice ammo. I’ll keep an eye on the ejection pattern and see how it runs. I won’t put it into duty use without several hundred trouble free rounds.

Worst case scenario, I’ll have to replace the gas block with a non port restricted one. A pain in the ass, but not the end of the world.

I’m hoping it’ll run fine like this unsuppressed and be a dream suppressed, because it’s looking more and more likely that we’re going to be authorized suppressors within the next year or two.
View Quote

More likely than not you’ll be fine with 5.56mm ammunition.

I took mine out today and shot it with a mix of M193 and M855. I paid attention to the ejection pattern, it was a bit forward of 3 o’clock, ran smooth though. It’s a very enjoyable rifle to shoot even with the 7lb Colt trigger.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Are all the FBI guns running Milspec triggers? Or are any aftermarket (such as Geissele SSA) known to be used?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Are all the FBI guns running Milspec triggers? Or are any aftermarket (such as Geissele SSA) known to be used?
View Quote

I believe some select fire weapons were changed out for G SSA triggers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CFDFFEMT:

I believe some select fire weapons were changed out for G SSA triggers.
View Quote

I’ve considered a SSA, but I have no experience with Two-stage triggers. All my AR shooting has been with Milspec triggers, mostly through Colt M4 or AR rifles and also through a lower I built with a PSA lower build kit. Ironically, the PSA lower build kit has a great trigger, almost everyone who shoots it comments on the clean break and super positive reset.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like they’re using the Starship Enterprise mounts from gbrs now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Fiyero:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222364/E5F53FDF-8BEA-422C-BBF1-5F0947BA11AA_jpe-2494223.JPG
View Quote

Those mounts just look so goofy
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cone256:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cone256:
Originally Posted By Fiyero:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222364/E5F53FDF-8BEA-422C-BBF1-5F0947BA11AA_jpe-2494223.JPG

Same. I’m also just not the biggest fan of gbrs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I figured I would ask here first, is the FBI cloning still a thing? I've got a Colt FBI barrel that had the FSB and pins removed (FSB and pins were sold off long ago), that I'm going to put in the EE tomorrow. If this is all someone is waiting on, let me know.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:
I figured I would ask here first, is the FBI cloning still a thing? I've got a Colt FBI barrel that had the FSB and pins removed (FSB and pins were sold off long ago), that I'm going to put in the EE tomorrow. If this is all someone is waiting on, let me know.
View Quote

Cloning is definitely still a thing, I’m finishing up an FBI build right now. I’m not looking, but specifically what barrel is it you’re trying to sell?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:45:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#14]

Cloning is definitely still a thing, I’m finishing up an FBI build right now. I’m not looking, but specifically what barrel is it you’re trying to sell?
View All Quotes

A Colt 11.5 SOCOM profile that had it's FSB removed. It was in my commenting that you had quoted
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#15]
A Colt 11.5 SOCOM profile that had it's FSB removed. It was in my commenting that you had quoted
View Quote

“Colt FBI barrel” could mean several things. There are the HRT profile FSB barrels, which are appropriate for some FBI builds. But Colt government profile stripped 11.5 barrels are appropriate for other FBI builds. It is not one-size-fits-all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:04:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#16]

“Colt FBI barrel” could mean several things. There are the HRT profile FSB barrels, which are appropriate for some FBI builds. But Colt government profile stripped 11.5 barrels are appropriate for other FBI builds. It is not one-size-fits-all.
View Quote

This one is what I have, minus the FSB. My bad, I didn't know that I had to add the HRT part as I figured that it was already known.

Just how many FBI barrels of different profiles are there exactly?

Edit: Ad made if anyone has an interest. It's gone/sold.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:15:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jstnstr] [#17]
Geissele is having a labor day sale, grab a blem Mk4 Federal Rail in DDC for two hundo while you can, plus other stuff

The good kind of Feds
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jstnstr:
Geissele is having a labor day sale, grab a blem Mk4 Federal Rail in DDC for two hundo while you can, plus other stuff

The good kind of Feds
View Quote

Very tempting. The DDC guns look great.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I realize this has been beat to death but the ODG color of the Gen 2 Geissele Fed Rail is very disappointing. And I have to ask, If they were able to get the ODG right on the Gen 1 why cant they get it right on the Gen 2? The Gen 2 anodizing is Ranger green, Forest green, Christmas ornament green but its NOT Olive Drab Green. And this story that you cannot get consistency anodizing batch to batch is bullshit. Anodizing colors is a formulae of base material, anodizing temp, voltage and chemicals. If you use the same specs each time you get pretty close to the same results. Either they changed the green on purposes or they have the worst anodizer in history. Im just not buying that its a variation "mystery."

I bought ODG stock, grip and AFG and they look like crap with the Christmas green Fed Rail. *sigh*

(not my picture as my Gen 2 looks even greener)

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I wonder when the change happened. My Gen 2 matches pretty good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#21]
There was probably no intentional change, just normal variation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Randainc:
I realize this has been beat to death but the ODG color of the Gen 2 Geissele Fed Rail is very disappointing. And I have to ask, If they were able to get the ODG right on the Gen 1 why cant they get it right on the Gen 2? The Gen 2 anodizing is Ranger green, Forest green, Christmas ornament green but its NOT Olive Drab Green. And this story that you cannot get consistency anodizing batch to batch is bullshit. Anodizing colors is a formulae of base material, anodizing temp, voltage and chemicals. If you use the same specs each time you get pretty close to the same results. Either they changed the green on purposes or they have the worst anodizer in history. Im just not buying that its a variation "mystery."

I bought ODG stock, grip and AFG and they look like crap with the Christmas green Fed Rail. *sigh*

https://i.redd.it/dq3egpl62sf41.jpg
View Quote
It sure seemed the same when they first released the Gen 1s.  I got lucky but people posted pics that ranged from almost black to bright lime green.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey guys, I’m late to the party and really want to build one of these uppers with the heavy profile 11.5 Colt bbl. Where would the best place be to find one of these at a reasonable price?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#24]
T-2 or EXPS3 (in ODG)?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
T-2 or EXPS3 (in ODG)?
View Quote

The T-2 seems more commonly used than the Eotech, though both have been seen. Tough call. I love the Eotech reticle, but the battery life of the T-2 is a massive selling point for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 9:49:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dms888] [#26]
Posted my MK4 Gen1, ODG in the EE, SOLD

Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Randainc:

https://i.redd.it/dq3egpl62sf41.jpg
View Quote

I bought about 6 ODG Fed Rails when they were first released a few years ago - 4 different shades with one looking pretty much black.
If you are super concerned about getting the right color, you should order several and then flip/sell the rest that you don't like.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Humminbird77:
I couldn't find the correct rail for a reasonable price in Finland, so I settled for the 9.3" instead. Other differences are the LMT SOPMOD stock and MOE grip. A nice touch is the "for gov't & LE use only" text on the mag well, a piece of history back from 2003. I imported this as a complete rifle, bayonet lug and all, when you guys still had the assault weapon ban in effect.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52116683703_7649743521_b.jpg
View Quote

@Humminbird77

Nice rifle! Off topic, but what are the gun laws like in Finland?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:

@Humminbird77

Nice rifle! Off topic, but what are the gun laws like in Finland?
View Quote

Thanks for the compliment, shoots like a dream too! :)

Gun laws have gone through several changes in the past 20 years. It used to be relatively easy to get semi-auto firearms. You had to apply for a permit at the police station in person, stating the intended purpose of use, and how much experience you have with firearms. The legal purposes of use include hunting, sport, collecting for posterity, professional use, personal protection, and use in performances like movies and theatre etc. After a two tragic school shootings in 2007 and 2008, they made it harder to get permits for semi-automatic pistols and rifles. The applicant must go through 1 year of training for rifles and 2 for pistols by an authorized instructor. The good thing is that the people who get semi-auto permits are more committed to the craft. The downside is of course less people coming into the hobby.

A couple of years ago, the European Union passed a harmonized firearms directive, that severely restricted semi-automatic rifles with normal capacity magazines (over 10 rounds). Basically in most of the EU, you are only allowed 10 round magazines and that's it. Old permits were grand-fathered so the new restrictions only apply to new permits. However, due to Finland's reliance on a reservist army, there's an addendum that allows normal capacity magazines for purposes of national defense, so the latest gun law now includes national defense as a legal purpose of use. There's also a small silver lining in the EU law, it allows owning rifles down to minimum length of 600mm (about 24 inches), down from previous minimum of 800mm (32 inches).
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By YukonBoy03:

I bought about 6 ODG Fed Rails when they were first released a few years ago - 4 different shades with one looking pretty much black.

If you are super concerned about getting the right color, you should order several and then flip/sell the rest that you don't like.
View Quote

Unfortunately over the past year or so Fed rails haven’t been selling well at all in the EE so anyone looking to sell is likely going to have to take a loss, especially when G had their Labor Day sale and was selling them so cheaply. But I guess if you want a specific shade buying several may be the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:

Unfortunately over the past year or so Fed rails haven’t been selling well at all in the EE so anyone looking to sell is likely going to have to take a loss, especially when G had their Labor Day sale and was selling them so cheaply. But I guess if you want a specific shade buying several may be the way to go.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:
Originally Posted By YukonBoy03:

I think the novelty has worn off for most people, I’ve only ever cared about them because they are OD green. I’ll probably be selling a gen 1 rail next week, I’m hoping there’s still some demand for that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#34]
My gen 1 rail is now in the EE with some other OD stuff, I am accepting offers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Not the best photo, but more will be coming soon!

Finally finished my individual agent FBI upper. All I’m waiting on is my Troy front sight and a new Colt BCG, then I’ll assemble the whole thing!
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Took the FBI clone out for the first time today. Flawless function! Also, with the Colt Commando 11.5 barrel and Geissele rail, it feels very light and handy. I like this setup quite a bit. The Aimpoint T2 zeroed quickly and easily.

Sometime in the next couple days I’ll get some good photos.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ConanTheCimmerian] [#37]
Does anyone running the Daniel Defense Mount for the T2 also run a magnifier on their FBI clone? I’m thinking about getting an Aimpoint 3X-C and want a mount that will line up with the T2 on the DD micro mount lower 1/3. I asked in my thread on magnifiers in the optics subforum, but figured someone here with the same mount as me might know.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#38]
How's everyone like the spuhr mounts? I've been thinking about switching from the geissele mount. If you weren't cloning, would you still use the spuhr?
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone running the Daniel Defense Mount for the T2 also run a magnifier on their FBI clone? I’m thinking about getting an Aimpoint 3X-C and want a mount that will line up with the T2 on the DD micro mount lower 1/3. I asked in my thread on magnifiers in the optics subforum, but figured someone here with the same mount as me might know.
View Quote

I've seen guys with the EOTech magnifier with the T2.  And I think the Aimpoint is approved for purchase too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Just listed my used FBI contract SIG Romeo 4m on EE for anyone looking for their clone build.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Chompion:
How's everyone like the spuhr mounts? I've been thinking about switching from the geissele mount. If you weren't cloning, would you still use the spuhr?
View Quote

Love my Spuhr mount. The only negative to them is cost over other options but it is a very nice mount.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Love my Spuhr mount. The only negative to them is cost over other options but it is a very nice mount.
View Quote

Nice. Thanks for the feedback
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#44]
It's the HuxWorx flow556 thingy
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tactical_dude] [#45]
Originally Posted By alacop:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222364/7F458DA6-CD12-4D23-A2BC-994C3D5613D8_jpe-2359301.JPG

Anybody know what suppressor this is?
View Quote

Is that a 16A1 lower in that pic?

And I thought HRT were the only ones using the HUXWRX cans not the regional guys???
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By tactical_dude:

And I thought HRT were the only ones using the HUXWRX cans not the regional guys???
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222364/7F458DA6-CD12-4D23-A2BC-994C3D5613D8_jpe-2359301.JPG

All of the Teams have gotten or are getting them now.

and prob on the lower, lot of old models floating around.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Have Unity micro mounts been seen on these? Not that my Larue mount is correct either but I’ve got one on a different rifle and really like.  Will probably put one on this as well.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Newark, NJ

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#49]

Should've brought belt feds for Newark haha
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 7:31:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#50]

View All Quotes

Looks like an A1 but it’s hard to tell.
Page / 87
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top