Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2020 10:13:46 AM EDT
I purchased the Cloud Defensive OWL, and so far it does not disappoint. This light is everything you can ask for and more. Great throw and just built to last.

I have it mounted on my Sig MPX-K between a Scalarworks peak front sight, and a Trijicon MRO on a Scalarworks lower 1/3 leap mount. I wanted to ask the community's opinion on exactly where I should mount the OWL between the front sight and MRO.

The more forward position allows the body of the OWL to clear the ejection port, but bringing the OWL back closer to the MRO balances the weapon and allows for a slightly better engagement on the tape switch. I can engage the light easily in either position no problem, I just generally prefer the light closer to the MRO in lieu of out front. My biggest concern with the more centered position is its proximity to the ejection port. I haven't tested it yet to see if a spent round will hit the OWL if its located closer to the MRO, but I believe it will. Thoughts? Where would you guys mount this bad boy?

Now before you say, bring it out front, it'll eliminate a shadow...I tested the light in both positions and there is no difference. I will primarily be using this light in self defense situations and the very rare later evening shooting at a friends farm.

Forward Position:

Centered Position:
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Lights should be put where they can be utilized effectively and intuitively.

Brass is going to be a non-issue unless it somehow pinballs back in the action and jams it up. Put it where you want it and shoot it, see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, I don't have experience embedding photos on threads. So I don't believe you guys can access the posted links.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Pics don't show up.
Where is your MRO mounted?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
This is how I have mine mounted

PEAK

OWL

RED DOT   above port

PEAK
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Pics don't show up.
Where is your MRO mounted?
View Quote
I have edited the original post. Try viewing photos now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I will also mention that I plan to remove the rear fixed sight, for a Midwest Industries flip up

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, gotcha now, I did not realize the MPX was so short.
Either way, I don't think you will have any problems with brass in the lower photo, if it does hit the OWL, you could put a piece of sticky velcro on the impact point on the OWL.
I would leave the light off if you are shooting during the day.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice. Yea I picked up the latest 4.5" version with the included Timney trigger.

This thing is damn sewing machine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep it where it balances better. It looks "off" compared to when it's pushed all the way forward, but be practical and put it where you think it feels best when shooting.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top