Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 7:56:57 PM EDT
Hello all!

Have a Noveske 6.8 SPC upper and lower that was built about 12 years ago. Absolutely impossible to find 6.8 SPC right now so decided to convert to a cheaper ammo type. .223/5.56 is 0.60/c a round currently and hard to find, .300 black out is also hard to find and over $1 a round currently! 7.62x39 is cheap, and easy to find and will work for my needs (target/fun shooting)

Was going to start getting parts for the convert using the old builder. Well, builder no longer has the information on the gun and cannot help (gentleman passed away)

I know it is a piston driven system, not DI and the lower is stamped M4 with a little chainsaw on it. Can I put any upper on it, get some mags and be good? Or, to do it cheaper... Could I get a BCG, barrel and mags and call it good? Not sure about the gas system

Barrel and BCG are hard to find in 7.62x39. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions? Would like to go this route, complete uppers are expensive!

I come from the M14/M1A world... This is all new to me!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Noveske uppers are high value and easily sold. Converting it to 7.62x39mm ruins it's value.

1. You can wait until the panic buying subsides, this may take a while.
2. Learn to reload........
3. Buy a complete upper in 5.56mm or 7.62x39mm. 7.62x39mm AR magazines are not 100% reliable. 5.56mm is always the best bet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd keep the original intact, it's high quality stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt take the noveske upper apart. Could very well ruin the index pin slot in the upper.
Just start fresh with budget parts for steel case.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Noveske uppers are high value and easily sold. Converting it to 7.62x39mm ruins it's value.

1. You can wait until the panic buying subsides, this may take a while.
2. Learn to reload........
3. Buy a complete upper in 5.56mm or 7.62x39mm. 7.62x39mm AR magazines are not 100% reliable. 5.56mm is always the best bet.
View Quote
This man is 1000% correct.
If you're that desperate:
1. re-home your 6.8 Noveske to a new adoptive, loving home on the EE.  (and let me know when you list it lol)
2. take the proceeds and buy a medium-level and price brand AR15, AND lots of ammo
3. Win+win
.Alternatively, you may be able to trade (there is a separate category for trades on the EE) straight up a Noveske 6.8 for a 556.
A 6.8 Noveske is a rare and precious thing.  Please don't go through with the conversion.  Please.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top