Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2021 5:46:38 PM EDT
Anyone know why fn says not to put lubricant on gas rings, bolt tail and inside the bolt carrier. Just bought a fn tac 2 and the manual says not to lube those areas, seems to go against everything I've read from other manufacturers. Just wanted to know others thoughts on this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The lube gets blown out / burned out when fired.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The lube gets blown out / burned out when fired.
View Quote

Dude.  Why is your BCG on fire?

OP, I would disagree with that set of instructions.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I light coat those areas as much for corrosion during storage as anything.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone know why fn says not to put lubricant on gas rings, bolt tail and inside the bolt carrier. Just bought a fn tac 2 and the manual says not to lube those areas, seems to go against everything I've read from other manufacturers. Just wanted to know others thoughts on this.
View Quote

If you run the gun wet, lube is going to migrate into those areas anyway.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn’t listen to a manufacture that can’t drill gas ports properly or make non MIM BCG components.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't care what they say. I will continue lubing the rings etc
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Smyth Busters: AR-15 Bolt / Carrier Lubrication
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#9]

We have had plenty of discussion (arguments) about this over the years, for sure LOL.  I have found that on my supressed, overgassed uppers that if I don't lube the bolt, cam, and rings that the rings and cam pin wear out much faster.

If I avoid lubing the bolt altogether, as they suggest, it is also much harder to clean that bolt up.  My hard chromed, and coated assy's are easier.  

I am surprised by that video, I thought "run it wet" would have been the rule of the land from Brownells and former-mil, but they just want you to put a couple of drops on the contact surfaces, and head of to war.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wouldn't listen to a manufacture that can't drill gas ports properly or make non MIM BCG components.
View Quote
...or chrome plate AUG barrels correctly.

Above diagram is correct.

Lack of lube makes the AR choke faster (on carbon fouling) and makes it more difficult to clean, and less resistant to corrosion.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I am surprised by that video, I thought "run it wet" would have been the rule of the land from Brownells and former-mil, but they just want you to put a couple of drops on the contact surfaces, and head of to war.
View Quote

That's probably taken a bit out of context.  They are not telling anyone to head off to war.  

Running "wet" will work fine if desired.  The original question concerned lubing the gas rings specifically.  The thought is oil in that area quickly will get displaced due to the high pressures and then won't be there anyway.  Is this true?  I don't know for sure, but it would be pretty easy to determine if desired.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I always lube the rings and the gas ring bore but I really don’t think it can stay lubed for more than a couple of rounds.

Hot, high pressure gas blasting through there and venting out the side.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's probably taken a bit out of context.  They are not telling anyone to head off to war.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That part of the sentence truly was just a joke.  Sorry for any confusion.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top