Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2020 12:11:01 PM EDT
Listening to Small Arms Solutions video, Chris said the Ni-Boron coatings are not easy to clean and using the normal solutions, the coating becomes sticky and gummy.

This is the first I have heard of this.  I dont one any with this coating but thinking down the road,  if this is the case, what cleaning solution are people using.

Bronc
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of mine just “wipe off”; no cleaning “solution”.

That is one of if not the selling point of NiB:  easy to clean.
View Quote

Same here.  I use a Hoppe's wipe & it just wipes off easy peasy.  Looks like I'll have to find another wipe though as the Hoppe's lubricating field wipes aren't being made anymore.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never had any issues
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
While that guy on the Small Arms channel is knowledgeable, it's no worse than if you google a subject all day long. Point is you shouldn't accept what someone says on Youtube as truth.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m curious as to what he is using as a cleaner to soften NiB. Anything that would soften NiB isn’t probably isn’t something I would care to clean any of my firearms with.

All of my NiB bolts just wipe clean with a dry cloth.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I went back on some of his QA videos and I could not find the exact one....not sure what cleaner he was referring too....BUT I do seem to recall he was talking about Hoppes.  Because I remember saying to myself, this is common cleaning solution
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I just clean and oil mine as usual. The parts will discolor on their own from normal wear and tear over time.

I don't see any advantage to having nickel boron parts so I stopped buying them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a carbon cleaner (such as KG1, Bore Tech C4 or Slip 2000 Carbon Killer) on the BCG and save the stuff with copper solvents for the barrel.

The following quote is from FailZero's website
Important Note: Some off-the-shelf rifle cleaning solutions such as Hoppe’s #9 can react negatively with nickel finishes and since EXO is a nickel-based coating, these should not be used on FailZero products. Always refer to manufacturer recommendations before use on FailZero products.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went back on some of his QA videos and I could not find the exact one....not sure what cleaner he was referring too....BUT I do seem to recall he was talking about Hoppes.  Because I remember saying to myself, this is common cleaning solution
View Quote

Okay I get it now.

From the labels, Hoppes is not recommended for nickel plated finish. The reason being is that Hoppes contain ammonia and underneath most nickel plating is a layer of copper. If there is a chip or somehow hole in the finish, the ammonia could get into it and melt it away or create the nasty stain that he's talking about. Sometimes really cheap carrier manufacturer will not apply the NiB correctly and it flakes off. If that happens, I don't think Hoppes staining it would be my main anger but rather that I got a cheap bcg and I would be looking for a new one.

So the worry here is that pretty much ANY copper remover can be bad for nickel type finishes. It's generally recommended not to use it on nickel surface.

But this is internet rumor. I would imagine if such thing is true the bolt carrier manufacturer themselves would be advertising not to use ammonia type ingredients or anything that can melt copper. I have not yet seen any bolt carrier group make such warnings. Maybe there is and I didn't see it. Now I have one revolver that is nickel plated, and yes, it says in the manual not to use ammonia based cleaners on it. Again this is just best practice, not absolute fact that if you use Hoppes on your nickel surface it will stain it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top