Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2024 2:49:17 PM EDT
hello there and good day my fine fellow readers.
I'm just now starting to get into firearms and I've been doing a lot of looking around window shopping and what not, it's a pretty big world out there with so much information it's hard to know if doing it right.

So here's my train of thought:

-First of all I don't remember where I heard this, but I think I remember hearing that if you're going to buy a weapon, don't use a card or anything like that. Instead have a gun store order the parts and pay for it in cash. Why ? Don't you have to to do a background check and register it anyway?

- second: I much prefer the idea of building my own ar and learning everything about it that way. So I can give it better care after taking it to the range. With that being said here is the build I've been looking at:
Upper
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-5-56-nato-1-7-mid-length-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-rifle-kit-516446780.html

-I have two lowers in mind because I'm not sure what I need. One looks more complete than the other but if I wouldn't need anything more that the cheaper option, I'd rather do that as my first option so I can load up on ammo and learn what I would want different on my next build
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-stealth-lower.html
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-complete-classic-stealth-lower.html

Thank you for helping a newbie out. Have a good day
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:01:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hobbsew] [#1]
I had to make that post shorter due to their being a limited number of characters.

So to continue:
- I'm looking to sprinkle some extras in there
https://palmettostatearmory.com/bravo-company-mfg-vertical-grip-for-ar-15-rifle-black-vgsblk.html
https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strikefire-ii-4moa-red-green-dot-10-magpul-gen2-pmag-30rd-5-56x45-magazines.html
That seems like a crazy good deal to start off with.
I know I want a flashlight but there are so many options I don't know what to look for.

As for the handgun, I'm pretty sold on this guy
https://www.canikusa.com/mete-sft-loadout-package

So far that's all I got.
Am I missing something or doing it wrong ? Am I going to need specific tools to put it all together and maintain it ? If you were to upgrade things what would you do and why ? What ammo should I choose and why ?
With all that said, again id like to thank you all for your input and suggestions. Have a good day, be safe out there
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:19:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#2]
I'm going to try my best to address everything here.

1. You need to transfer the lower whether you pay with a card or not. I'm not sure what benefit there would be to this, unless your ffl charges a % to use a card. Either way, you have to do a niccs check.

2. Nothing wrong with building one, they are very simple and there are tons of videos on YouTube and threads here to walk you through it.

The kit you linked comes with a lower parts kit (lpk). All you need is that kit, and a stripped lower reciever, and you will have all the parts you need to build the rifle.

As far as tools, you don't need much. I've built lowers with practically no tools before. I would say you should get yourself a decent armorers wrench, as well as a punch for the roll pin. A set of channel locks with electrical tape on the tips can work in a pinch too. Just watch a video on how to build the lower, and be careful with the front takedown detent, it is easy to launch it. That's the detent that most new builders end up launching accrossed the room and losing.

The second lower you linked has everything installed in the lower already. So if you bought that with the kit you linked, you would have nothing to build, and would have a spare lpk. Now they do sell complete uppers without the lpk you could mate with that complete lower. But you wouldn't have anything to build.

As for reccomendations on gear/setup, you will get alot of varying answers. Your goals and needs and budget will decide what is best.

But your on the right track with a 16 in rifle and red dot for your first and only ar15
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:22:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#3]
Ammo depends. For general plinking on the range I usually just shoot what I can find for cheap. Usually 55 grain Wolf gold/federal/winchester/etc.

When I want some accuracy I will grab some black hills 77 gr otm. Expensive. But psa sells aac 77 gr otm that performs well for much cheaper.

For oil just get mil spec clp. Then a cleaning kit that has a .22 rod and some cotton patches. That with a roll of Scott blue shop towel is all you really need to clean and maintain.

For a flashlight, just get a streamlight hlx 1000. Best bang for your buck.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.
So of the 2 lowers I put on there, the cheaper one is correct ? That's awesome
Now that I think of it I should also look for some ear protection.
Thanks again, much appreciated
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:30:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hobbsew:
Thanks for the info.
So of the 2 lowers I put on there, the cheaper one is correct ? That's awesome
Now that I think of it I should also look for some ear protection.
Thanks again, much appreciated
View Quote

For affordable ear pro, you can get a pair of Howard leights. I use them to mow my lawn. Only 50 bucks.

Otherwise when I shoot I use sordins but I think I paid around 300 for them. Nothing wrong with orange foamies either it just makes talking to people difficult.

And yes the cheaper lower is a stripped reciever. That with your upper and kit will be a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver: ... be careful with the front takedown detent, it is easy to launch it. That's the detent that most new builders end up launching accrossed the room and losing.
View Quote
He's not kidding about this. This is the one part where you wish you had 3 hands and miniature fingers. Even a GI trigger is not too bad once you get the hang of it.

I found this to be really helpful.

AR15: Front Takedown Pin Install - Easy - No Tools
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the video link. I was expecting something crazier than this though. I'm already feeling more confident and can't wait to get started
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have an upper build kit, you want the stripped lower.  Then, at least, you are "building" something.

Pinning an assembled upper to an assembled lower falls a bit short of actually building, but is quick and easy.

Not a fan of that RDS that you linked to with the magazines, but if you sign up for email alerts you will see similar combos with better optics.  Don't rush the optic.  Get a set of BUIS so you can shoot and a few magazines.  There is a whole nuther subforum here to ask about optics.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:52:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#9]
Originally Posted By Tiribulus:
He's not kidding about this. This is the one part where you wish you had 3 hands and miniature fingers. Even a GI trigger is not too bad once you get the hang of it.

I found this to be really helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnZV7jRxwjA
View Quote

So what I've done is taken a 1/4 wooden dowel, sand it to fit where the takedown pin slides in, then drill a small hole the same size as the detent through the dowel.

You put the dowel in. Line up the drilled hole with the detent hole in the lower. Drop in your spring and detent. Push the detent down with a punch and twist the dowel, locking the detent in the hole. Then push the dowel out with your takedown pin.

It guarantees no more launched springs. And it's pretty simple.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By s4s4u: Not a fan of that RDS that you linked...
View Quote
I have one on a 10.5 in. Pistol. It's an older model and it's bulky, but it's fine on that gun. To me anyway.

It's also 4 MOA though which I wouldn't want on a 16 in. Rifle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

So what I've done is taken a 1/4 wooden dowel, sand it to fit where the takedown pin slides in, then drill a small hole the same size as the detent through the dowel.

You put the dowel in. Line up the drilled hole with the detent hole in the lower. Drop in your spring and detent. Push the detent down with a punch and twist the dowel, locking the detent in the hole. Then push the dowel out with your takedown pin.

It guarantees no more launched springs. And it's pretty simple.
View Quote
That's a perfectly splendid idea. You could even make a sort of teardrop shaped bevel from the hole on the receiver side so when turn it, it would press the detent into the hole.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Why so ? What would you recommend instead ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Personally if I were building a first time rifle, I would get a complete upper and a complete lower…considering the lack of tools etc.  However, knowing this likely won’t be your only rifle ;-) then you can get tools and supplies to build a second.

The upper linked in the kit is a great choice and you should be able to get that as just a complete upper, either  with or without the bolt and charging handle.

Then I would recommend a complete lower with Magpul furniture and the upgraded PSA trigger.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Nothing wrong with your plan. It will be a great step into ARs. As said, you don't need the complete lower. Everything you need is included in the kit. A stripped lower is all you need.order the kit shipped right to your house. The stripped lower has to go through an FFL. you can order one from palmetto if you want (they'll ship it to your gun store), but you could just as easily run to your local gun store and just grab a stripped lower off the shelf. From there, we can walk you through assembly. It's not hard.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I love all the info I've been getting here, thanks everyone. I've also been looking at my next rifle:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-sabre-billet-16-5-56-nitride-15-sabre-timed-rail-and-sabre-compensator-with-magpul-sl-s-furniture.html
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:36:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: racer765] [#16]
I assembled my first from parts.  

lots of fun.  

you can use a clevis pin of the right diameter from the hardware store, or get a "pivot detent pin and spring install tool" for not too much money to keep from launching the detent pin.

I've assembled all of my ar myself.  plan on doing more as desired.  I get to choose all the parts I want that way, buy as I go.  latest one took 3 years to pile up the parts.  I wasn't in a rush.  

it is NOT the lowest cost way to get into an ar.  if you want to hit the range at lowest cost, get one of the many under $500 (some under $400) rifles out there.  you're in MO, they should be abundant, it's not a demonrat state.  

assembling a perfectly functional ar is one of the more satisfying things you can do, imo.  if you get all the tools to do it, you've basically got all the tools and experience to fix it, too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#17]
It’s hard to stop at just one.  Good luck on your journey OP
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:05:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#18]
I'm just going to put this here because I think it's a good deal for someone looking for a first rifle. I don't work for them and I'm not affiliated. I've owned some del-ton stuff in the past and always thought they worked fine. If you decide to buy complete vs build.

Complete rifle for $391 at family firearms. Have to add it to cart to see the lowered price.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well, 4 MOA means the dot will cover 4 inches of target at 100 yards. A rifle with a 16 inch barrel should spend a great deal of it's time shooting out to at least 100 yards. 4 MOA is not ideal in my limited opinion.

I have mine on a 10.5 inch AR pistol for which it is more suited, Again, in my limited opinion.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Well, 4 MOA means the dot will cover 4 inches of target at 100 yards. A rifle with a 16 inch barrel should spend a great deal of it's time shooting out to at least 100 yards. 4 MOA is not ideal in my limited opinion.

I have mine on a 10.5 inch AR pistol for which it is more suited, Again, in my limited opinion.
View Quote

I've been hearing and reading a lot about moa, that made sense the way you explained it
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
I'm just going to put this here because I think it's a good deal for someone looking for a first rifle. I don't work for them and I'm not affiliated. I've owned some del-ton stuff in the past and always thought they worked fine. If you decide to buy complete vs build.

Complete rifle for $391 at family firearms. Have to add it to cart to see the lowered price.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/285899/1000008066_jpg-3164187.JPG

View Quote

I'm not a big fan of that grand thumb guy, but he recently did a video about a cheap psa rifle which they tried to burn it down with a suppressor and full auto to accelerate ware. It was what actually kinda sold me on getting psa for starters.
I've also been looking at their Saber billet, that seems really good
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#22]

I'm not a big fan of that grand thumb guy, but he recently did a video about a cheap psa rifle which they tried to burn it down with a suppressor and full auto to accelerate ware. It was what actually kinda sold me on getting psa for starters.
I've also been looking at their Saber billet, that seems really good
View Quote

I think their Sabre line is a great value. I really like mine.

PSA Sabre First Look and Unboxing
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Opinions are like A-holes, here's mine. Budget starts here IMHO.

BCM complete upper - $900
Aero complete lower - $250
Holosun micro - $200
Streamlight HLX - $125

Buy ammo, take classes, train hard.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Roll-pin starter punches are your friend. Cheap too. And I mean a very good friend.

So is a hockey puck for a small flexible bench block, cheap, works great.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

Here is a more realistic review, from a Well Respected, and Knowledgeable member... lazyengineer

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/A-10-5-at-11-000-rounds/122-782686/
View Quote

I love some good gun nerd reporting, I read the whole thing. Psa is making some seriously good stuff. I wonder how much better the Saber billet 16" is when compared the kit I posted
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DetroitSounds:

Holosun micro - $200
Streamlight HLX - $125

View Quote

I see bcm mentioned a lot. What's so good about them ?
I can't remember where I read on here that someone works at a gun range in Vegas where they blast auto all day everyday and he said Daniel defense with proper maintenance will easily shoot 100000 rounds
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Roll-pin starter punches are your friend. Cheap too. And I mean a very good friend.

So is a hockey puck for a small flexible bench block, cheap, works great.
View Quote

The canik pistol I posted comes with some punches, is that the kind of thing you're talking about ?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#29]

I can't remember where I read on here that someone works at a gun range in Vegas where they blast auto all day everyday and he said Daniel defense with proper maintenance will easily shoot 100000 rounds
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DetroitSounds:

Holosun micro - $200
Streamlight HLX - $125

Google “filthy 14”

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

Google “filthy 14”

View Quote

Dang I thoroughly enjoyed reading that, it was pretty fun too.
Gnarly old gun
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top