Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2018 2:55:20 PM EDT
I searched for an answer but couldn't find anything. What do y'all do when your 80% lower becomes 100%? I just finished my 3rd lower. They all came anodized. Everything I milled/drilled out is now bright shiny aluminum. Should I get them anodized?

If the answer is yes, could you perchance point me in a direction on where to get it done? I read up on doing it yourself and doing a T3 anodizing doesn't appear to be something I'd be comfortable doing on my own.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No need.  There's a plethora of spray finishes out there that will work fine.  Or just roll it as-is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black is the easiest fix.  Just apply with a q-tip or cleaning patch and watch the magic happen.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No need.  There's a plethora of spray finishes out there that will work fine.  Or just roll it as-is.
View Quote
I just ordered some on Amazon. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve done some with aluminum black and left some in the white.   I’ve seen no difference either way.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't even worry about it, I have been doing them for a while now and nothing bad has happened, I even have complete lowers around in with no anodizing and have had no ill effects.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Type 2 is easy enough, but it won’t be anything like type 3.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I read up on doing it yourself and doing a T3 anodizing doesn't appear to be something I'd be comfortable doing on my own.
View Quote
Type 3 is overrated. Properly done Type 2 can’t be distinguished from Type 3 without lab testing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black is the easiest fix.  Just apply with a q-tip or cleaning patch and watch the magic happen.
View Quote
This^
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I just degrease, sand paper, self etching primer, and paint.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top