Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2018 7:59:18 AM EDT
I was directed here to look at ammoseek for best prices and availability for 300 blackout ammo and have discovered a lot of the best priced stuff is labeled reman. Should I be concerned about cycling and performance of reman ammo?  If not, at some better than others?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I avoid remanufactured ammo as the potential for catastrophic damage to my guns isn’t worth the cost savings.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally, I avoid remanufactured ammo as the potential for catastrophic damage to my guns isn’t worth the cost savings.
View Quote
This has always been the way I looked at it too. The only exceptions are high end companies like Black Hills and similar.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used reman from Black Hills and Freedom munitions with no problems. If it was some manufacturer I've never heard from l will pass.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't bother with reman, the risk isn't worth the reward.

Same with anything from Freedom.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, thank you.  I will especially avoid in light of your comments and the fact I will have a suppressor in the end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Do NOT go cheap with rounds you’re going to send through your suppressor.

Blackout ammunition is now common enough that you should be able to find commercial rounds in 300 Blackout-headstamped cases just about anywhere.  While I still make my own brass from 5.56 cases, I trust my own loading skills and QC infinitely more than “Joe’s Storm Door and Ammo Emporium’s”, and I’m not feeding a suppressor with that stuff.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Black Hills is the only reman I use.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a case failure within my first 4 rounds of re-manufactured 308 ammo out of a 200 round case. I was a firearm noob at the time and sent the rifle off to the manufacturer for a once over after it happened. Fast forward 2 years after I started reloading and I determined that they crimped the ever loving daylights out of the bullet and was creating over pressure. I broke down the rest of the 196 rounds and re-seated the bullets without crimp. I have not fired any more of that case yet, but I am much less worried after re-reloading every one.

Limited experience, but I can say that at least another handful of those rounds would have been over pressure due to excessive bullet crimp.

Brand I believe was USA Ammo or something like that, loaded with LC 7.62 brass.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

I do not know of another firm that has both the track record and the reputation for reliable, accurate products.

I will stress that it is possible that “Joe’s Storm Door and Ammo Factory” could produce high quality, accurate ammunition.  But the odds are stacked against any small concern being able to afford the loss rate that remanufacturing ammunition is prone to.  That means that marginal and questionable components (particularly the cases) are far more likely to wind up in loaded rounds that go out the door.  And smaller firms won’t be able to afford the insurance to cover liability issues, either.

The flip side of this is that even huge “new manufactured” ammo makers are not immune to making crap rounds.  I once bought a box of Winchester 3131 white box 5.56 that had TWO obviously faulty rounds in it. One had no rim, and the other had no extractor groove.  What a jackpot!!!!  Yes the vendor replaced that box, but if a company like Winchester can pack two reject rounds in a single box, what are the odds a small maker - even one that uses all new components - will avoid that problem?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
BH and my own reloads are the only ones I trust
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:48:38 AM EDT
[#11]
If it is not new ammo from a major manufacturer I don't touch it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
i shoot new s&b subs in 300bo mostly. when its free shipping its ~$10.50/20
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#13]
As said up thread, it depends on who the maker is.  Remember that reman is basically commercially reloaded ammo, so just like any other loader you gotta ask yourself - do you trust them?

That said, there are some good ones out there and they are well known on forums and such - like Black Hills.  Haven't tried any of their rifle ammo, but the Georgia Arms "Canned Heat" 45acp I got a can of a while back was equal to Blazer Brass and other budget brass case offerings at walmart.

My local range used to have a remanufacturing business set up, but they were pricing above walmart prices and you have to drive past walmart to get to the range.... I wouldn't have run their stuff in my guns, but in their rentals why not?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone hear of and or use Minuteman Munitions? I had $40 burning a hole in my pocket and decided to order 150 rounds of their new .223 55g stuff. I always opt for LC or IMI 5.56 but have always wanted to try then for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#15]
New or reman doesn't make a difference.  All it means is that the brass was used before.

That says nothing about the quality. Black Hills reman is going to be better than many companies new stuff.

Remember that all it takes to be a "factory ammunition maker," is a few thousand for a Type 06 FFL, some loading machinery, components, a business license, and some insurance. A "factory ammo maker," could be some dude in his basement with a couple Dillons, and his trained assembler could  be his 15 year old. But as long as he is using new brass, his stuff is "factory new."

That said, I won't touch any of the reman stuff other than Black Hills. I won't touch many of the new stuff either from a lot of companies. Especially the ones that could be just what I described. I know a few places that did start something like that.... hired a few people to pull handles on presses in the back of the shop.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:27:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've used reman from Black Hills and Freedom munitions with no problems. If it was some manufacturer I've never heard from l will pass.
View Quote
Freedom Munitions is well known for blowing up guns, especially with their rifle ammo.  I'd steer far clear.  About the only reman I'd ever trust would be Black Hills.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
New or reman doesn't make a difference.  All it means is that the brass was used before.

That says nothing about the quality. Black Hills reman is going to be better than many companies new stuff.

Remember that all it takes to be a "factory ammunition maker," is a few thousand for a Type 06 FFL, some loading machinery, components, a business license, and some insurance. A "factory ammo maker," could be some dude in his basement with a couple Dillons, and his trained assembler could  be his 15 year old. But as long as he is using new brass, his stuff is "factory new."

That said, I won't touch any of the reman stuff other than Black Hills. I won't touch many of the new stuff either from a lot of companies. Especially the ones that could be just what I described. I know a few places that did start something like that.... hired a few people to pull handles on presses in the back of the shop.
View Quote
It’s more than “a few thousand” to get set up.  The license isn’t particularly expensive. It’s the equipment, local and state permits, sales tax permit, corporation costs, INSURANCE, and much more.  Sure, Joe Handloader can set himself up with a Type 06 license and legally sell what he makes.  But who’s going to buy it?  Not enough gullible folks to make it worth Joe’s while.

The really major point about Black Hills is that they started out with the idea that they’d make great ammunition.  They have firmly established that their new-made rounds are consistent and dependable, enough that they supply match grade ammunition to all of the uniformed services.  They also source once fired brass and produce “remanufactured” ammunition, essentially with the same processes and oversight as their all-new products.  It’s the level of QC and attention to detail, along with a great track record for both producing great ammunition.  Can Joe Handloader match that level of QC?  Yep.  But can Joe do that while producing the volume of product needed to even break even?  Probably not, by a long shot.

My handloads are made to my own rather exacting standards, and in quite limited volumes.  I will admit that I’ve goofed a few times.  A production ammunition maker will also goof, but it CANNOT be in a way that affects safety.  When that happens, you (ideally, of course) get a well publicized product recall and the manufacturer gets points for paying attention to detail.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#18]
You can also go to AmmoGrab.com  Just your due diligence to pay attention to the ammo and make sure you are buying brass and not steel cased. If you like steel cased ammo it will show them as well but everything is shown from lowest priced to the highest. Every caliber. Happy Hunting!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I have hand loaded my own ammo for about 40 years or more.  I'm 68 years old.  I am comfortable with what I produce and use it totally for my own consumption.  I exercise great care and trust what I do based on experience and rigid attention to detail.  I do not do volume reloading.   I will not reload for anyone else to use.  I am not willing to assume that liability.

Nor do I do know about the capabilities or quality control of anyone else offering remanufactured ammo.  Not even BH.  As careful as they may be, they are still using a once-fired (or more) case, .  Case inspection and prep in addition to resizing and priming is time consuming, not something easily done on a production line at cost efficiency.

For that reason I shoot only "roll my own" ammo from the highest grade components or new factory ammo.  Call me a fudd.  It's ok.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.
We three agree
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I never buy reman. I've seen too many ARs blow up from them.

I never shoot others' reloads, only my own.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top