Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello my name is Jake and I’m an AR-aholic.

Just starting my first build and I must say it’s very addictive and I appreciate all the help I am getting from this forum.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi all. I've been shooting for a while now and fell out of it for some years and now getting back into it. I used the M!6 / M4 in the service and own a bull barrel A2 here in CT. I'm looking to do a couple of things. The first is to tweak the CT gun with a new upper and trigger. I'm also looking to build my first AR in Texas to hunt deer and hog on my brother's land and want to get it in something not a 5.56, but not sure what just yet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 3:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SusieQ] [#5]
New to site, retired Navy. Live on a ranch. Just got my first build. Didn't build it myself, just selected the components. It's CA-legal and featureless because I dislike mag locks. Can adjust stock with a tool. I like the MTU039SSM hand guard and the Megafin suits me better than the alternatives. Would like to add a taclight. Plus an optic - no idea what yet. Something sturdy that can be used for closer targets with decent glass and eye relief, etched and illuminated - I have homework to do.
Previously owned Ares SCR, Mini-14, Colt M4, several SU-16's - all ok, but not a huge fan. Mostly owned varmint rifles, shotguns, revolvers and semi-auto handguns.
Photo of the build:
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
I fixed your image link.
View Quote
Thanks! I can see if it I click on the link.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Name is Derek, I am from Michigan, I just bought my first AE (Bushmaster XM-15) had to go with a buy for my first as I travel a lot for work and don't have a whole lot of time to build, but it is on my to do list. any who I have experience with the AR's through the military and spending sometime in law enforcement. I will be looking to this site to help me along the way!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Names Cameron, bought my first AR in December. I was planning to build one, but panic bought one due to some draconian laws the dems were pushing hard for in my state.

Ruger MPR gave me most of what I wanted, and I got it cheaper than an equivalent PSA build. Buying mags and ammo while I can. Hopefully I can get another one (or three) before my Gov can force through those bills...

Got a PA red dot on it now, and an inexpensive 1-4x I got for Christmas in the closet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:09:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mattmangt] [#11]
Hi, new member in California. My name is Matt. I've been lurking around the site for a while.
Been shooting a Glock 19 but hadn't touched a rifle since leaving the military in the UK over 20 years ago.

Anyway, I picked up an AR rifle in 5.56 to get back into longer range shooting last week.

I got an LWRCi M6IC DI (CA compliant), fitted an EOTech 518 optic, an Inforce WML, a Blue Force "Vickers" sling and 8 x 10 round PMAGs.

Got out to the range to get the optic zeroed and put 300 rounds downrange at 25, 50 and 100yds.

Shoots like a dream, the holo reticle was new to me but super easy and intuative.

Looking forward to be a part of the forum
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quick back story... bought a Smith & Wesson 811300 M&P15 300AAC from a buddy in a bind.
No accessories, no sights.
Cleaned it up and picked up some rounds.

I’m having trouble finding many reviews. If you have any experience with this particular rifle, please let me know.

Other info I’m seeking...

1) Recommended, economical sights
2) Can I use old M16 mags to feed it?
3) Any other essential accessories?

TIA

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Hello out there. A few key things to note before this conversation gets started.

- Im completely new to the AR platform, thank you for your kindness
- After researching, this would not have been my choice of AR to purchase
- AR was given too me as a wedding gift by my wife's father (he must not like me).
- I have 0$ into this build as of now

overall goal is to make this as short/light as possible, with flip up sights (possible red dot) flashlight and foregrip. (no im not looking to have a SBR, i cant afford the stamp, unless you guys save me that much money!!)

My thoughts on the weapon:

It has a upper that I absolutely hate (see pictures). This is the first thing I want to change. Do not like the fixed "carry handle" sights. I would like to upgrade to some sort of flip up. I have shot a few ARs and liked those.
The quad rail feels bulky and cheesy to me. Can anyone tell me if this is a decent quad rail? Maybe I'm looking for the flat top setup?
Bolt carrier has been upgraded.

Can anyone find it in their hearts to share with me build ideas, help me learn what's compatible etc.??

https://imgur.com/kJ7QPhs
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey everyone!
I've been a CPL holder for a little over 6 years and have had nothing but pistols, well, other than the BB gun my dad got me for Christmas ohhh about 23ish years ago that I still have! I had wanted an AR for quite a while and went back and forth between buying or building. I decided to go the buy route so I could familiarize myself with the platform. I'm a very hands on and mechanically inclined person so having the gun in hand and being able to take it down for cleaning and seeing what makes it tick was a huge help. The budget friendly beginners gun I chose was an M&P15 Sport II. Great gun for what it costs, very reliable and surprisingly accurate.

At my local range I've done some demo shoots from Daniel Defense, BG Defense and Faxon Firearms. Right then I saw what a difference makes when corners aren't cut. Made me think about how I could improve on the M&P. I put some Magpul furniture on it and just something like that with little effort made a big difference. Well enough with that gun, I'm wanting more. My AR15 wishlist as of now has reached lengths of which a winning lottery ticket is necessary to pull off.

But on top of that, I'm ready to build. I've researched and researched, watched YouTube until my eyes hurt, combed this entire forum for every ounce of information. I have AR parts and tools on the way as I dive right into my next hobby of AR building. Looking forward to hanging out around here a lot!

Andrew
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YXFR6] [#17]
My name is Josh...
Long time member, first time poster. Created an account years ago to look at the pics in the "Official Zombie Weapons Pic Thread".  I finally picked up my first AR so I thought what the hell, I might as well start posting on here.

I still need BUIS and a white light, also a new trigger wouldn't hurt.

PSA AR-15 Complete MOE Shockwave Pistol Lower
PSA 10.5" Carbine-Length 5.56 NATO 1/7 Phosphate Lightweight M-lok Slant 12" Upper - With BCG & CH
Holosun HS403b
Magpul MS4 sling
Magpul M-LOK AFG
CAT Tourniquet

H&K VP9SK
T.rex Arms Sidecar

Edit: Can't get images to embed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AndrewT84:
Hey everyone!
I've been a CPL holder for a little over 6 years and have had nothing but pistols, well, other than the BB gun my dad got me for Christmas ohhh about 23ish years ago that I still have! I had wanted an AR for quite a while and went back and forth between buying or building. I decided to go the buy route so I could familiarize myself with the platform. I'm a very hands on and mechanically inclined person so having the gun in hand and being able to take it down for cleaning and seeing what makes it tick was a huge help. The budget friendly beginners gun I chose was an M&P15 Sport II. Great gun for what it costs, very reliable and surprisingly accurate.

At my local range I've done some demo shoots from Daniel Defense, BG Defense and Faxon Firearms. Right then I saw what a difference makes when corners aren't cut. Made me think about how I could improve on the M&P. I put some Magpul furniture on it and just something like that with little effort made a big difference. Well enough with that gun, I'm wanting more. My AR15 wishlist as of now has reached lengths of which a winning lottery ticket is necessary to pull off.

But on top of that, I'm ready to build. I've researched and researched, watched YouTube until my eyes hurt, combed this entire forum for every ounce of information. I have AR parts and tools on the way as I dive right into my next hobby of AR building. Looking forward to hanging out around here a lot!

Andrew
View Quote

@AndrewT84

Make sure you check out the diy forum.

Falarak has some great step by step videos on building and upgrading your AR25.

And welcome to the addiction.

My first build was supposed to be a cheap lightweight at.

$1200 later, it's really light.

Always remember, it's Legos for big boys.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By YXFR6:
My name is Josh...
Long time member, first time poster. Created an account years ago to look at the pics in the "Official Zombie Weapons Pic Thread".  I finally picked up my first AR so I thought what the hell, I might as well start posting on here.

I still need BUIS and a white light, also a new trigger wouldn't hurt.

PSA AR-15 Complete MOE Shockwave Pistol Lower
PSA 10.5" Carbine-Length 5.56 NATO 1/7 Phosphate Lightweight M-lok Slant 12" Upper - With BCG & CH
Holosun HS403b
Magpul MS4 sling
Magpul M-LOK AFG
CAT Tourniquet

H&K VP9SK
T.rex Arms Sidecar
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49815772742_4af54e5ffc_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49815779317_78b61a6a31_h.jpg

Edit: Can't get images to embed.
View Quote

@YXFR6
I'd say welcome Josh, but you're a special category.

Have some fun.

Go to gd. (general discussion) and post a longets time here without a post thread.

I'd bet you a pmag you would win, but there's probably another few guys like you around.

Check the EE for BUIS.  Firvan exceptional trigger, check out the Larue MBS2 from Larue Tactical for the best trigger under $100.

Kepp on posting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:26:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: YXFR6] [#20]
Originally Posted By TxLewis:

@YXFR6

Have some fun.

Go to gd. (general discussion) and post a longets time here without a post thread.

I'd bet you a pmag you would win, but there's probably another few guys like you around.

Check the EE for BUIS.  Firvan exceptional trigger, check out the Larue MBS2 from Larue Tactical for the best trigger under $100.

Kepp on posting.
View Quote

Thanks, I went quite a few years without logging in. Just started browsing again recently, before deciding what to get. I'm just the type why ask a question if it has been asked and answered 100x before.

Yeah, I may have to do that tomorrow, should be interesting.
I would imagine there are a few, maybe me posting in there will draw them out... Probably not.

Thanks for the heads up on the EE for BUIS and I have been looking at the MBS2, just haven't pulled the trigger yet(no pun intended).

Will do!
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Thanks, I went quite a few years without logging in. Just started browsing again recently, before deciding what to get. I'm just the type why ask a question if it has been asked and answered 100x before.

I would imagine there are a few, maybe me posting in there will draw them out... Probably not.

Thanks for the heads up on the EE for BUIS and I have been looking at the MBS2, just haven't pulled the trigger yet(no pun intended).

Will do!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxLewis:

@YXFR6

Have some fun.

Kepp on posting.

Will do!

@TxLewis, I've known Josh for about 15 years. He's a personal friend of me and my wife's. I helped him his change the endplate on his lower when he got it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:33:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AdWo2187] [#22]
Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking around the site for a while but finally joined. I’m stationed in NC and bought an ADM UIC Mod 2 for a great price in 2018. I’ll try to post some pictures once I get to my laptop. It’s a very nice rifle and very underrated, or at least not very popular.

" />
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Hello, I am new to the forum, but have been browsing the forum for the past month. I am looking at getting my first AR. There sure are a lot to learn concerning rules, regulations, stamps, etc. Thanks to all the members and the valuable knowledge they have dispensed on the forums. It sure helped me wrap my mind around a variety of questions concerning the AR platform.

SuperSecretName
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#24]
OK AR virgin here looking for direction and advice. I'm a longtime bolt guy and handloader but I know next to nothing about the AR platform. I would like to buy or build an all around rifle I can hunt/plink and fight with if that is even possible in one rifle. I want lightweight but strong and reliable as possible. I haven't set a budget yet but am thinking $1500-2500 is reasonable for me. Before buying or building I think it would make sense to try and educate myself first so I can try to make reasonable choices so to start can you point me in the right direction to start the learning about how this platform works and the more important things to not skimp on to end up with the best I can the first time.

Appreciate all the help and advice.

Thanks

D
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Just found and joined this forum. Bought my first AR a couple of weeks ago and have added a scope to it. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but looking forward to the first outing. Hope to learn a ton and eventually be able to share some knowledge.

Cheers,

Shipwreck
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Addicted2gunz] [#26]
Hi All, I'm new to this site and fairly new to AR's. I'm a 1911 Addict, but have decided that I wasn't broke enough so I decided to delve into AR's lol. I have an IWI Zion 5.56 and a Daniel Defense DD5v1 in 7.62/308 on the way. The DD will be here Wednesday 6/17/20 and I can't wait!!

For starters I bought a Harris bipod and a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x 50mm scope. FYI - I'm new to scopes also...So I did some internet crammming lol

Addicted2Gunz...
Many 1911's
A handful of poly pistols
rifles..to be determined!
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:17:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Hi everybody! My name is Mike and I live in San Diego, CA. I have a few guns already. S&W M&P 9c, Mossberg shotgun and a 30-30 marlin lever action. I've been wanting to build an AR for YEARS now and I have finally am starting to get around to it but I have no clue about what is good, bad, parts, tools etc...I am going into this somewhat blind but my expectations is that I don't want to go overboard but I also don't want to go cheap and have too many major problems in the future. My buddy sold me a colt upper and a stock so I was just wanting some suggestions on good lowers, triggers, scope, and anything else to get me headed in the right direction. Here is a link of what I have so far. Also some suggestions about how to make this gun legal in CA or what are some workarounds on how to build the best rifle I can make out here in sunny Cali.

AR PARTS
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#29]
New to site..Retired LEO after 23 years...been shooting handguns nonstop since retiring, but current events had me pull my NYS complaint Ruger AR 5.56 out and site that back in. look forward to all the knowledge from reading past posts.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Just wanted to sheepishly check in. 64 years old and my first AR. Handgunner  for 43 years but just got around to a rifle ! Got some questions on zeroing a DS arms rifle I just purchased so after you call me an old fart let me know where those questions fit within the forum. Thanks fellow Americans.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 7:39:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR_Pro_Noob] [#33]
Hello everyone!

Really glad to be here. New gun owner living in Tennessee. I’m originally from New Jersey so you can imagine how awesome it feels to be able to go out and purchase a gun here, especially being able to take it home the same day!
I purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 about 2 months ago and have put a little under 1,500 rounds through it.

I’ve put DD iron sights on the front and back and swapped the front site-post for a crosshair front-site and just zero’d it today at 50 yards.
I’ve been practicing a lot with my iron sights and finally feel like my groups are tight enough to move on and buy myself a scope.

Looking at the Leopold AR 1.5x and the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x as good options.

I’ve already upgraded the BCG with a Brownell’s Chrome fully-auto BCG. (I like the black and chrome/silver look.)

I’ve got the “Tornado grey” DD stock and pistol-grip on the way and can’t wait to get them on the rifle and compliment the black and silver look.

I’m having so much fun shooting this rifle but I am spending most of my money on ammo right now. I feel it’s probably best to have a couple thousand rounds stocked up first, rather than dig in to other, more costly upgrades.

I love cleaning the rifle as much as I love shooting it and prefer to keep it almost wet, especially with a stickier chrome BCG.

I’ll get some pics posted when I get the furniture on it.

Thanks for making an awesome place to share!

(For the record, my initials are ARPro....I’m def still just a noob though. Lol)
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Hello. My name is David from Charlotte NC. After owning several handguns over the years I finally bought my first AR-15. Just picked up a Springfield Saint. Already modified it with a Stnger Hawk hand guard. I have a new front flip up sight coming and then onto optics and a flashlight for starters.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#37]
New old guy here. It's taken me a couple of years to decide to buy an AR. Since I live in the highly restrictive state of CT, I need to pick and choose which "features" are most important to me, and go from there. I decided I would start with a "CT-Other" which allows me to use a muzzle device and interchangeable magazines. Not keen on the pistol brace restriction, but I see people shouldering them all the time at the range since nobody really understands the ATF letter(s) regarding this... Anyway, I digress.

I ended up buying a complete Radical RF-15. I researched the company, and it appears as though their early QC issues have been addressed. Hopefully this one proves reliable. This machine appears to be relatively solidly built for an entry-level unit, there's nothing fancy or refined about it whatsoever, just a basic milspec beater that can be upgraded over time. It's 300BLK which will make it simple to convert to 5.56 down the road. I added an inexpensive SightMark Ultra Shot R-Spec optic. I hope to hit the range on my next day off to get her zero'ed, unfortunately it will take most of the 300BLK ammo I have left to do it, and that stuff is impossible to find now.

Half the fun is planning on what and how to modify and upgrade, even though we're severely limited here in what we can do. Looking forward to learning and sharing.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:23:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Micke] [#38]
Trump voter.  Conservative.  Car guy, tinkerer.  I live in very rural SW.    

My 2nd AR had some problems and google led me here where I found a lot of great info.  

Thanks to all for a great website!
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:53:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Micke] [#40]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Hi all. New to the forum, not to firearms. I decided recently to build my first AR. I'm just waiting on parts now. I can't wait to explore this forum more. Thanks for having me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By jmt8706:
Hi all. New to the forum, not to firearms. I decided recently to build my first AR. I'm just waiting on parts now. I can't wait to explore this forum more. Thanks for having me.
View Quote

Welcome from another new arfcommer!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:19:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Hello everyone!

My name is Chris , and I’m from the Netherlands.

Recently I bought my my first ar-15 , a schmeisser M5FL (building your own isn’t allowed) after a 36 month waiting period .....yup that are Dutch gun laws

Today was the first time to the range with the new ar , I’m liking it

Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Hi gentlemen !

I'm french and new to AR 15 system and decided to join the forum to get good advices for my brand new Bushmaster xm15 target.

Thanks !
                   Christophe
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Hello all. I’m new to the forum but have been reading the content here for a long time. Not new to shooting or the AR but looking forward to sharing and gaining knowledge here
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Hello,
I just joined and also completed my first build. Assembling the lower went well and passed function check. After completing the build went out back, I have a range, and discovered that the BCG is not picking up the next round and chambering it. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Dunnojack:
Hello,
I just joined and also completed my first build. Assembling the lower went well and passed function check. After completing the build went out back, I have a range, and discovered that the BCG is not picking up the next round and chambering it. Any ideas?
View Quote

I sent you a pm on the most likely cause and solution.
Page / 17
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top