BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, here is my very first post on this forum. I shot in 4H when I was in elementary and middle school, but then into college and the first years of marriage, I only got out to shoot a few times. Anyway, I've picked it back up recently (especially given how the upcoming elections are looking) and just purchased my first AR rifle. I've shot a few ARs in the past, and decided now was the time. I picked up one of these: http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/167844 . In fact, I just picked it up from my FFL over the weekend and will be taking it out for its first range trip and sight in this coming Saturday. (Is it sad that I had 16 mags and 1000 rounds of ammo before I even had the gun?)
I'm really looking at this as a 'figure out what I want" gun that will be handed to my wife (figured the light CF Poly receivers would be good for her) and I'll build myself the rifle I REALLY want. I feel like I'm jumping in pretty fast on the system, but who knows how long it'll be as available as it is now? A group of my friends and I just got a reloading kit as well, so we're diving in head first.

Already gotten lots of good info from the site and looking forward to learning more and more!
Thanks!!!
~Flyinfinni~
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Just wanted to say hello. New here and wanting to learn.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
NOOB here from northern Illinois, I decided to get into the AR scene and figured I would build one instead of buying one that I would want to upgrade shortly.  I picked up a Black Rain Ordinance Fallout 15 Billet striped lower receiver and can't wait to start building it.  There is tons of useful information on here and can't wait to use it all to figure out what way I want to build it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Hello. first time caller, long time listener.

Just started building my first rifle.  Was about to buy a Bushmaster XM-15 a month ago, but was persuaded by the internet to do go the long way home.

In progress is a Aero Precision matched receiver set which will be a 16" carbine in full FDE at the finish line.

Planning on a black 308 rifle once this guy is complete...

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:57:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxLewis] [#5]
Welcome to all the first time (and 2nd time) posters.

As you can see by all the great sponsors here, this is the home of the black rifle.

Use it though your advantage.  Lots of industry partners will help you would th info about their products in the industry section.

The diy threads will answer pretty much all of you questions on a build.

Hometown forums will let you know where to shoot or where to find local events and get togethers.

General Discussion is home for a large amount of us.  Read the coc for what's allowed there.

Enjoy your stay.

I recommend a membership to avoid the ads, but it's definitely not a requirement.

Txl
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RapidDissent:
Hello. first time caller, long time listener.

Just started building my first rifle.  Was about to buy a Bushmaster XM-15 a month ago, but was persuaded by the internet to do go the long way home.

In progress is a Aero Precision matched receiver set which will be a 16" carbine in full FDE at the finish line.

Planning on a black 308 rifle once this guy is complete...

http://www.8bsp.com/armory/AR15_phase1.jpg
View Quote

Have you selected a barrel for it yet?

Txl
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:14:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#7]
Think I'll post this here for now, until someone tells me where else to put it....  

Welcome to ARFCOM, or welcome back to Member status if you ignored all those Your Team Membership is about to expire pop ups.

The basics:

Search sucks, even for Team Members, so this is how I find the Night Krewe thread, for example:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aar15.com+Night+crew

or just type "site:ar15.com Night crew" into your favorite search engine.

You've only got room to store 25 Instant Messages, so if you're coming from Team status, you need to archive and delete a lot of messages before you can get - or send - IMs again.  And - don't forget - you have to delete the messages from the Deleted Messages folder before they're really gone.

Subscriptions:  Team Members get 300 subscriptions, but as a member, you only get 100 subscriptions.  The good news is you can only subscribe to technical threads - nothing in General Discussion.  No, really, that's a good thing.

However, once you hit 100 subscriptions, or if you're coming from Team, and have WAY more than 100 subscriptions, you need to delete some of your older subscriptions before you can subscribe to new and interesting threads.

See this line under Subscribed Threads:

Subscribed Discussions :: Limited To 100 Results :: [ Click » To Open Options And Select Community Filters ]

Click on the [ Click » To Open Options And Select Community Filters ]

You need to go through each major topic, and click on the Submit button, and delete your old subscriptions before you can subscribe to new ones.  Members are not automatically subscribed to the threads they post in.  Nor, when you refresh the Subscription tabs, do your just read threads instantly update.

Help.  You'll get more instant help in General Discussion, but if you need very technical help, or need to test out how things work,

go here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/fg_1/166_Site_Help_Forums.html

Learning how to post photos?  You won't be able to post pictures unassisted until you have 50 posts.  Here's the instructional & Test Post thread:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_168/638569_Picture_posting_tutorial_and_PICTURE_test_thread.html

Wanting to post a YouTube video?  Well, you can't.  Have to be a Team Member for that.  But you can post a link, like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GP80BhfXs  If you're polite, and it's a good video, usually a Team Member will embed it for you.

In each forum, you'll notice a small yellow triangle to the right of the forum title.  Click on it, and you'll get a list of the moderators for that forum.  Click on the name, and you'll be able to send them an IM or an email.

General Discussion:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/5_General_Discussion.html  You'll get more knowledge out of ARFCOM if you spend more time in the technical forums, but you'll get more entertainment from General Discussion.  If a sexual term pops up that you're unfamaliar with, DO NOT Google it.  If someone posts pics of a pretty young thing, check the adam's apple area very carefully before replying.

An earlier guide:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/876558_.html

ARFCOM 101:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/872990_.html

Folks w/ tanks beside their names are veterans.  Some of us are still serving, Active Duty or Guard/Reserves, some are retired, some got out 40 years ago, some are former allied military.  To get your tank:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_1/1806283_Veterans_Day.html&page=1#i56569085

Folks w/ the NRA Eagle are NRA Life members.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_1/1233259_NRA_Program___Get_Your_Icon_.html to get your Eagle.

Folks w/ tiny pistols beside their name are instructors.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_1/232793_Instructor_Icon_and_posting_Courses.html to get your pistol.

Too much hassle to be just a member?  Team Memberships are available, starting for $24/year:  https://store.ar15.com/cat.html?cat=22  Occasionally Life Memberships go on sale for around a grand, and sell out quickly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello! New guy from southwest Michigan! Got my first AR a couple months ago. Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport. Got it barely used with a few upgrades for super cheap. Im learning alot from it and am using it to experiment what i like and what i dont so that in a few years i can build the perfect rifle for myself. Glad to finally be apart of this community after lurking for a while and have learned a ton already!
This is the whole package i brought home
" />
This is what it looks like currently
" />
" />
I want to mount this monstrosity of a scope on it but it is conflicting with my MBUS rear flip up. So im thinking of getting the half inch YHM scope riser so that i can mount the scope and keep my MBUS mounted but im worried the scope will be too high and i wont be able to obtain a cheek weld. Anyone have experience with my scope mounting dilemma and can offer advice? Thanks in advance!
" />
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Mount your rear BUIS in front of the scope on the rail.  Not ideal, but it will work.  Welcome to ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Never thought of it like that. Will have to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:06:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronni3_J] [#11]
Been lurking for a while and finally registered. Here is my first AR. No optic yet as im trying to get proficient with my MBUS first

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Hi. Recently purchased a LWRC DI after going shooting with some friends and loving it. Wife didn't trust me with building my first one. Hope to have a couple lowers on the way soon though!
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 2:51:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PSAR15] [#13]
Hey all! New guy around here. Loving the info on the site. Here's my first AR.

PSA complete lower with Magpul grip, stock, and trigger guard mated with a PSA 16" stainless heavy upper, mid length gas with 13" hybrid rail.  Used an AIM NiB bcg and Anderson ch. Mounted some MBUS on top and itching to throw some rounds!

I was originally looking at the Rural King sale rack but wanted a FF rail and liked the keymod/mlok style. Decided to go this route for a better rifle for about the same $$. Have $650 in it after shipping and everything.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice gat.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#16]
So, I finally bought my first AR last February, a stock DPMS Oracle. I have been REALLY happy with it so far, and love it.
I have about 500 rounds through it so far, and not a single issue.

I replaced a bunch of stuff, obviously, and like it a lot more now.
Drop in quad rail, folding vertical fore grip (don't like it, gonna replace it with a Magpul RVG grip), Magpul BAD lever, KNS anti rotation pins, MFT G-27 contoured grip (It fits my hand like a glove. If I didn't know better, I would think it was molded from my own hand. It is THAT good), Magpul MOE-SL carbine stock, and a Vortex SPARC 2 for optics rounds out the package.
The only thing extra I would like to add, are some Magpul MBUS sights, and maybe a muzzle brake (thinking of this one http://primaryweapons.com/store/product/tto/).

I'm also getting ready to do my first build, in .300 AAC BLK for deer hunting this year.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By calin666:  So, I finally bought my first AR last February, a stock DPMS Oracle. I have been REALLY happy with it so far, and love it.
I have about 500 rounds through it so far, and not a single issue.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/CalinProPulse/Guns/20160618_101107.jpg

I replaced a bunch of stuff, obviously, and like it a lot more now.
Drop in quad rail, folding vertical fore grip (don't like it, gonna replace it with a Magpul RVG grip), Magpul BAD lever, KNS anti rotation pins, MFT G-27 contoured grip (It fits my hand like a glove. If I didn't know better, I would think it was molded from my own hand. It is THAT good), Magpul MOE-SL carbine stock, and a Vortex SPARC 2 for optics rounds out the package.
The only thing extra I would like to add, are some Magpul MBUS sights, and maybe a muzzle brake (thinking of this one http://primaryweapons.com/store/product/tto/).

I'm also getting ready to do my first build, in .300 AAC BLK for deer hunting this year.
View Quote

Welcome to the site.  Why do you think you need a muzzle brake?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Just to help with accuracy a bit.
Even then, its just a maybe.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By calin666:  Just to help with accuracy a bit.
Even then, its just a maybe.
View Quote

Muzzle brakes do not improve accuracy.  They lessen recoil by funneling gas to the sides, top, or rear, which increases noise to the shooter & the firing line.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Hello, I'm new around here, just bought my first AR-15, a Colt LE6920. Hoping to add a slimline free float rail and RDS in the near future. Here to learn as I know very little about the platform at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I am new to ar15.com but not new to the ar platform. I started with a dpms and have since built about 5 more for myself and friends. I am getting ready to throw together another one on Sunday for myself and 2 more for friends next weekend. I LOVE the site so far and look forward to hanging around here for some time. Thank you mods for the great job on the site and I look forward to being a longtime member!
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Hello all, complete newbie here.  I've been wanting to pick up an AR for some time now, but never really took the time to learn what I need to learn as I just enjoy shooting pistols too much.  Anyway, after the Orlando ordeal and the ever-worsening political climate, I decided it was time to get something sooner rather than later.  Not knowing much, I started asking friends and family questions, and then a family member who builds and sells ARs sent me a link to the CDNN sale on the Colt LE6920 for $899 that included a rifle bag, bipod and quad rail, and said THAT was the deal to be had right now, if I didn't want to build my own.  He said it is the AR that others are compared to, and is as close to a Military-spec weapon as I could get (again without building my own).  So, that's what I did.  It is set to be delivered to my FFL today, but I may not be able to pick it up til this weekend.  I've already taken advantage of a couple of other sales and have 10 30rd mags coming (5 PMag and 5 D&H Aluminum).  I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Magpul MBUS rear site to go with the stock A (is it A1?) or get the Diamondhead polymer flip sites, front and rear.  Once I'm proficient enough with those, I'll start shopping for an optic of some sort.  Anyway, I have a lot to learn.  Just wanted to say hi and express my excitement for my first rifle.  If anyone has any recommendations on first (cheap) mods for the 6920, let me know.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 01svtL:  Hello all, complete newbie here.  I've been wanting to pick up an AR for some time now, but never really took the time to learn what I need to learn as I just enjoy shooting pistols too much.  Anyway, after the Orlando ordeal and the ever-worsening political climate, I decided it was time to get something sooner rather than later.  Not knowing much, I started asking friends and family questions, and then a family member who builds and sells ARs sent me a link to the CDNN sale on the Colt LE6920 for $899 that included a rifle bag, bipod and quad rail, and said THAT was the deal to be had right now, if I didn't want to build my own.  He said it is the AR that others are compared to, and is as close to a Military-spec weapon as I could get (again without building my own).  So, that's what I did.  It is set to be delivered to my FFL today, but I may not be able to pick it up til this weekend.  I've already taken advantage of a couple of other sales and have 10 30rd mags coming (5 PMag and 5 D&H Aluminum).  I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Magpul MBUS rear site to go with the stock A (is it A1?) or get the Diamondhead polymer flip sites, front and rear.  Once I'm proficient enough with those, I'll start shopping for an optic of some sort.  Anyway, I have a lot to learn.  Just wanted to say hi and express my excitement for my first rifle.  If anyone has any recommendations on first (cheap) mods for the 6920, let me know.
View Quote

Sounds like you need a bayonet.  M7, or OKC-3S.    Welcome to ARFCOM.  You bought a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice looking lineup!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:55:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mds32920] [#27]
Hello, I'm new to the site and I just got my first AR. I took it out today and I love it. Looking to learn more about building these for myself. Thanks for having me.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey, Hi and Howdy,

Name's Herb, new to AR's, was going to build one, but found a sweet deal on this LWRC M6A2 DMR and decided to go with a pre-made gun...

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#29]
New here from Kentucky. Bought my 1st AR bout 2 years ago its a bushmaster. Decided to build my own so currently doing a complete Spikes Tactical build, so far just have a zombie lower and magpul stock. Hoping to learn alot from you guys
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By herb7:  Hey, Hi and Howdy,

Name's Herb, new to AR's, was going to build one, but found a sweet deal on this LWRC M6A2 DMR and decided to go with a pre-made gun...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/Herb_Butterfield/IMG_20160620_140802588_zpsfid8vg8u.jpg
View Quote

Welcome to ARFCOM.  Did they put the front sight on backwards?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Hi folks,
Been an AR fan for 40+ years, (I'm an ARMY brat, dad did 28 yrs) but for some reason never bought one until after the Orlando incident.
For my first AR I bought a Colt LE6920 MagPul Ed. 2 weeks ago.
Since I've bought more mags and 1000+ rds of ammo. And a "somewhat hard" case.
I'm already researching my first add-ons!
I'm finding LOTS of useful info right here! Thanks to you all!
I'm also surrounded by AR fans as neighbors! All sides!
I'm over 55 yo, but not retired yet.
Live in the Pacific NW, but I was an ARMY brat, so I've lived on both coasts. And Europe.
I work in the aerospace field.
Love to travel to tropical destinations (twice a year)
Love to play in the sand. I've owned quads since 1987, but we're looking for a SXS now.
Just bought a new truck and camper.
Will be looking for camp spots that have shooting options
Note: I already have the fever!
-Bob aka Mune

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:20:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jscottl] [#32]
Hey all new guy from Ky here. Bought a M&P 15 Sport II a few weeks ago. Came here to read and learn about the platform. Got a guy I work with that's giving me pointers and gonna teach me how to work on and maintain this thing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#33]
First post. I am the actual inventor of the AR15 (as well as the internet and the light bulb)! Yeah, don't believe Al Gore, it was me all along!

Brand new to the AR platform, and this site comes highly recommended, so I showed up, and voila! A ton (maybe 2 tons?) of great and useful information.

I picked up a S&W M&P 15 recently, and while it shoots fine, I am trying to decide whether to upgrade it, or just start a new build from scratch and keep both guns. I have been slowly collecting upgraded pieces (Magpul buttstock, pistol grip, a BCM ambi charging handle), and I have a few more parts on the way (red dot sight, trigger), and I am probably going to go ahead and order a new free-floating hand guard and barrel/gas block. At that point, I am close enough to a new gun, I just need to add a lower, a BCA and an upper, and I would have a whole new gun. Any advice? Are the S&W uppers and lowers worth the high-end upgrades, or would it just be wasted money on an "average" upper and lower?

Anyway, I am happy to be here, and looking forward to learning and contributing when possible.

Thanks!

James
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Doublehelix:  First post. I am the actual inventor of the AR15 (as well as the internet and the light bulb)! Yeah, don't believe Al Gore, it was me all along!

Brand new to the AR platform, and this site comes highly recommended, so I showed up, and voila! A ton (maybe 2 tons?) of great and useful information.

I picked up a S&W M&P 15 recently, and while it shoots fine, I am trying to decide whether to upgrade it, or just start a new build from scratch and keep both guns. I have been slowly collecting upgraded pieces (Magpul buttstock, pistol grip, a BCM ambi charging handle), and I have a few more parts on the way (red dot sight, trigger), and I am probably going to go ahead and order a new free-floating hand guard and barrel/gas block. At that point, I am close enough to a new gun, I just need to add a lower, a BCA and an upper, and I would have a whole new gun. Any advice? Are the S&W uppers and lowers worth the high-end upgrades, or would it just be wasted money on an "average" upper and lower?

Anyway, I am happy to be here, and looking forward to learning and contributing when possible.

Thanks!

James
View Quote

Welcome to ARFCOM.  You've worn out your S&W bbl already?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Welcome to ARFCOM.  You've worn out your S&W bbl already?
View Quote

Haha... not quite yet, but I was just looking to upgrade the M&P15's capabilities and go with a chrome-lined barrel with a 1:7 twist with a mid-length gas block. I may wait on the barrel, but I want to free float the barrel for sure, and was probably going to have to get a new gas block/front sight depending on how I float it, and that point, my mind took off with my wallet and I started dreaming about a new barrel while I was at it. It's a disease I tell you!!! :)
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi, newbie here.  Lots to learn.  Read a thread about another buyer who was told by numerous members to ask questions here before buying anything else after he got screwed by a dealer that happens to be local to me, so that's what I'm going to do while I read to learn more.

First things first, I know *NOTHING* about rifles.  I'm pretty sure an AR-15 is a type of rifle that different manufacturers sell, and people with knowledge can build their own using parts.  The Colt 6920 was referred to as the "Gold Standard" for the AR-15 in that thread, so I'm likely to buy a Colt because I can't go wrong buying the "Gold Standard". Or can I???

But, before I do buy, what is an AR-15 typically used for?  Hunting, target practice, both? Is it designed for one moreso than the other?

I only shoot target practice.  I read about the CZ Scorpion which is a carbine pistol (whatever that means).  Maybe that's the type of gun that would be a better transition for me from pistols into a rifle like the AR-15????  Does anyone know the application of an AR-15 vs. a carbine pistol?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#37]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Aceboympk:  Hi, newbie here.  Lots to learn.  Read a thread about another buyer who was told by numerous members to ask questions here before buying anything else after he got screwed by a dealer that happens to be local to me, so that's what I'm going to do while I read to learn more.

First things first, I know *NOTHING* about rifles.  I'm pretty sure an AR-15 is a type of rifle that different manufacturers sell, and people with knowledge can build their own using parts.  The Colt 6920 was referred to as the "Gold Standard" for the AR-15 in that thread, so I'm likely to buy a Colt because I can't go wrong buying the "Gold Standard". Or can I???

But, before I do buy, what is an AR-15 typically used for?  Hunting, target practice, both? Is it designed for one moreso than the other?

I only shoot target practice.  I read about the CZ Scorpion which is a carbine pistol (whatever that means).  Maybe that's the type of gun that would be a better transition for me from pistols into a rifle like the AR-15????  Does anyone know the application of an AR-15 vs. a carbine pistol?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

You can't go wrong w/ a Colt.  You can pay too much for one, but they've got some pretty competitive pricing these days.

AR is typically used for target practice, can be used for hunting or defense.  It's designed for defense - it's the civilian version of the Army's M-16/M-4.
An AR will be more accurate than a CZ Scorpion simply b/c of the type of ammunition.

Pistol caliber carbines (PCCs) are very handy, low recoil guns, particularly if they take the same magazines as your pistol.  They're fun to shoot and cheap to feed.  They're not a better gun than an AR, but are often less expensive.  Now that you can build an AR around the $400 mark, many PCCs are more expensive than budget-build ARs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Hi folks, I'm firefighter525. I am fairly new to the gun world and I am the proud parent of an Aero Precision complete lower (sale price $200) that I picked up from my LGS this morning. I bought it on 7/3 and it got delivered yesterday, needless to say I have been excited for a couple weeks. I have been browsing the site for a while and trying to decide what upper I wanted first (lets be realistic, there will be more than one) and I decided to go for what I think is a steal of a deal on a PTAC 16" Mid-Length 5.56 NATO 1:7 Upper with BCG and Charging Handle (sale price $299). I'm hoping to have a nice rifle for basically $600 with the FFL transfer fee and the two Maagpul 30 round mags I bought.

Specs of the upper.

Barrel Length 16"
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist
Mid-length Gas
Phosphate Finish
.750" Gas Block Diameter
M4 Feedramps
Forged Upper
M-16 Profile Bolt Carrier
Carpenter 158 Bolt
Mil-Spec Charging Handle included

The one thing I won't have is a rear sight as the upper has the pinned in gas block/front sight (I think that's what it is called). Any good options for a decent price?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By firefighter525:  Hi folks, I'm firefighter525. I am fairly new to the gun world and I am the proud parent of an Aero Precision complete lower (sale price $200) that I picked up from my LGS this morning. I bought it on 7/3 and it got delivered yesterday, needless to say I have been excited for a couple weeks. I have been browsing the site for a while and trying to decide what upper I wanted first (lets be realistic, there will be more than one) and I decided to go for what I think is a steal of a deal on a PTAC 16" Mid-Length 5.56 NATO 1:7 Upper with BCG and Charging Handle (sale price $299). I'm hoping to have a nice rifle for basically $600 with the FFL transfer fee and the two Maagpul 30 round mags I bought.

Specs of the upper.

Barrel Length 16"
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist
Mid-length Gas
Phosphate Finish
.750" Gas Block Diameter
M4 Feedramps
Forged Upper
M-16 Profile Bolt Carrier
Carpenter 158 Bolt
Mil-Spec Charging Handle included

The one thing I won't have is a rear sight as the upper has the pinned in gas block/front sight (I think that's what it is called). Any good options for a decent price?
View Quote

Well done!  You can buy a cheap Chinese red dot for the price of a rear sight these days.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Howdy, all!  First time, short time here in the forum.  I live in Ohio but am originally from Nebraska...Go Big Red!...with stops in MI, LA, IL, CO, PA, and IN in between.  Just purchased my first AR today...the Colt LE6920.  Pretty stinkin' stoked.  I've been avid in the shooting sports for the past 10 years with various firearms but with a fondness for S&W.  I look forward to reading, learning and absorbing the knowledge that is on these pages.  Thanks for your time!

p.s. I think I posted wrong on the main page...totally n00b here...sorry and my bad!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I didn't know this thread was here so ill go ahead and introduce myself.

The names Jordan, I was born and raised in GA and am currently living in NC due to the needs of the Marine Corps. Im nearing the end of my contract with no plans to re-enlist. I plan on staying in NC around the charlotte area. Ive owned a few Ar's here and there but never really had a love for them. Ive always leaned more toward the Ak. That's kind of changing as ive just built a midlength that I plan to run hard.

I think thatll do for now, if you have any questions for myself, please feel free to IM me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Just joined the forum, my name is Josh i live in northwest FL. I am currently in the process of building my first AR with the help of my Father-in-Law who has built several ARs. For my build I am using a Spike's Lower, Spikes T2 Buffer and extension, BCM Upper, LaRue MBT2S Trigger, LaRue Stealth 16" Barrel and a 15" Seekins Keymod Hand Guard. I still haven't decided on a muzzle device, stock or a BCG yet, but have stuff i will borrow just to get the rifle up and running. Should be putting it together this weekend and hopefully go shooting in a few weeks to see how she runs. Looking forward to being a part of the forum and having such vast knowledge at my fingertips.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Hi everyone, my name is Bryan and I live in Southern California. My girlfriend just got me a Colt 6920 for my birthday last month and it ignited an addiction like no other! I've since completed a few lowers that are awaiting uppers (have an Aero precision upper on order and am considering a couple low price uppers for the rest. Turns out the addiction is contaigious because the GF is considering picking up a S&W M&P Sport 2 now (primarily something the register when the bullet button ban goes into effect in 2017).

Anyway, I'm rambling.

I've been browsing this site for a while and figured I'd finally make an accout to say hi and thank you for all the great information!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Hi, my name is Eric and I am already an addict even though I am without an AR ATM.  I lurked on this site originally to get some info and ideas for a build I wanted to do (before the election completely derails availability and price).  After reading till my eyes were crossed, I decided that I would just buy the Aero OEM from Brownells and add the stock and handguard.  It was more than I was looking to spend at once, so I procrastinated and missed the sale.  Decided I was back to building a bit at a time.

Fast forward to yesterday.  I was reading about the Andro uppers that are in the EE and finally saw a review.  Decided that for the price and quality I wasn't going to do any better.  While I may still do a PSA lower, I am forced to pay tax and probably shipping, so the built upper from ACI was a great deal for me.  

MBUS are already on their way, so really the only thing left is the lower build.  I am looking forward to getting into the action.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Lots of new folks here lately.

Don't worry about making mistakes, we all have.

Welcome to the best season the net.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#48]
First post here. Just bought my complete lower and replaced the stock grip with a CAA UPG16 Pistal Grip. Looking forward to learning all about the AR. I did 8 years in the Marine Corps but never owned a rifle. Just handguns. Anyhow glad to be here.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Hello! My name is Ken, and I just joined the site. I'm not exactly a noob, as I have some experience with guns. I own several pistols (S&W CS40, SS P938 Blackwood and my wife has the SS P238 .380 ACP Blackwood), a Beretta PX4 .40 cal and a "matching" CX4 .40 cal carbine, and a Mossberg 500 tactical 12 gauge  pump shotgun. I love shooting all of them, but I thought it was time to step up to an AR-15, which I've been thinking about for several years.

SO... I took the easy route and recently bought a DPMS Oracle flattop carbine... the basic Oracle. I've added a few Magpul goodies already, and a few more are on the way... Magpul MLOC carbine-length hand guard with rails, Magpul trigger guard, Magpul CTR stock (on the way), Hogue molded grip, some unbranded flip-up front/rear sights (pretty nice tho), a decent 1000 lumen flashlight (on the way), a Magpul MS-4 sling, and 6 Magpul Gen 3 40-round mags. Not bad for an AR noob, I guess! It came with a no-name little red/green dot, 4-pattern sight that's decent, but I'll be putting some type of mag scope on it at some point because the non-mag red dot is worthless at more than about 75 feet anyway to my near-60-year-old eyes!

This gun is basically for range shooting, and secondarily as a home defense weapon... although honestly I'd grab the Mossberg 500 (loaded with 00 buck 8-pellet shells) first in a home invasion scenario... It has a flashlight/strobe, pistol grip, fore grip, and seven extra 00 shells in a side carrier!

Ken
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#50]
... Continued

I put about 150 rounds down range with the Oracle today, and it shot perfectly with PMC M193 (clone?) ammo. Not a misfeed, jam, or anything... Just gobbled it all up! It was fun to shoot, but I still need to zero in the iron sights better. I would have shot more but I had shot quite a bit with the pistols first, and I was getting tired. I did the DPMS-recommended "shoot one, clean bore, repeat 25-times" routine - running a bore snake through after each of the first 25 shots. It might not really be needed, but that's what DPMS says to do in the manual, so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

ANYWAY, I look forward to learning a lot about the AR platform on this site!

Ken
Page / 17
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top