Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 2:26:44 AM EDT
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so I apologize if anything I ask has been beat to death here. The reason I am posting is that a few months back my second oldest daughter said that she would like her own rifle for her birthday (end of January). Since she is really into batman, I thought I would build her a batman themed rifle. I realize that this is kind of a strange theme for a rifle build because historically, batman has shown a strong aversion to hand held firearms (apparently giant guns on vehicles are o.k though). Well, since batman only dresses in black and shades of really, really dark grey I thought it was only fitting that batman themed gun be built on a 'black' rifle. My only problem is that I know next to nothing about ar's in regards to quality vs. cost. I don't want junk but I also don't want to blow my money with limited gain on investment.  Below I have put together a list of some of the major parts for you all to scrutinize along with my own thoughts on why I am a bit hesitant to pull the trigger (pun intended) on that particular product.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:27:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Cont:

EDC Tactical Stripped Lower- already on order so no changing it
Unique-Ar 12" Handguard- Again already ordered, can't change

Weaponsmart or F-1 skeletonized upper- I really think they look cool but I am afraid of dirt and 'gunk' getting in through all those holes. That being said, I don't foresee putting the thing through the ringer-even as a hunting rifle so I am not sure that really matters. If this is just a terrible idea I will probably just get a Aero forged upper.

Faxon TiN M16 Bolt Carrier Group- TiN coating is very batmanesque so why not? Though if you guys think the skeletonized receiver is nuts I might go with a more economical offering.
Fortis Hammer Charging handle-

Ar Performance barrel in .277 Wolverine- thoughts on going the 6.8 SPC Route? I reload so the thought of never having to buy brass is intriguing.
Also not sure what gas block to buy. I have heard that adjustable is the bee's knees but could I get by without one? Again, I wont be running high volume through the gun.

I haven't quite settled on a stock yet, maybe the ACE entry stock?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn. Take a breather.

I'd say no on the skeleton upper.

Build it in 5.56.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Although I like the idea that every AR is a battlefield ready weapon, not many will ever see battle or even dirt for that matter. A skeletonized upper is not a practical weapon of war but this is not a war weapon your talking about.
For a Batman gun your ideas sound good. The exposed parts of the lower parts kit being gray and unique would add to the Batman feel. A mounted soda can launcher set up to fire an exposed grappling hook sounds Batmanish to me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn. Take a breather.

Build it in 5.56.
View Quote
I probably should have made it clear that my daughter will be using this to hunt deer as well. Not saying that that a fast twist .223 wouldn't work, my wife uses a .223 with CEB's on deer, I just want something with a little more punch.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Ar Performance barrel in .277 Wolverine- thoughts on going the 6.8 SPC Route? I reload so the thought of never having to buy brass is intriguing.
View Quote
You reload, but does she?  Might be better off with something that ammo can be purchased for since it will not be your gun.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?

Building a fantasy rifle this Christmas for my stepdaughter as well.  If you want more punch, .277 will do it, but I would suggest 6.5mm Grendel or 6.8mm SPC will get the job done while being much more available.  Or you could do a 20" pencil bbl to give 5.56x45mm a bit more oomph.  I'm setting up a 26" pencil, and I'm amazed @ how well it handles.

I would skip the ventilated upper.  One of the ways the AR controls gas release in a KaBoom event is to channel gas down through the magwell, which it won't do if gas is escaping on both sides of the upper into your daughter's eyeballs.

ETA:  If she's still growing, I would suggest an ordinary collapsible carbine stock.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I probably should have made it clear that my daughter will be using this to hunt deer as well. Not saying that that a fast twist .223 wouldn't work, my wife uses a .223 with CEB's on deer, I just want something with a little more punch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn. Take a breather.

Build it in 5.56.
Ah, roger that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#8]
+ 1 on 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, and welcome to ARFCOM, lol.

Whatever you end up doing with the rifle, definitely post pics when you do. I like unique guns.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#10]
As for stocks, how about the 'Minimalist Stock'?

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Some of the Strike Industries stuff is "batman-y":

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I suppose 300 Blackout is out of the question? 300 Blackout only needs a 30 cal barrel, they use common 556/223 magazines and all AR-15 parts.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Welcome to ARFCOM.  Got any Legos?

Building a fantasy rifle this Christmas for my stepdaughter as well.  If you want more punch, .277 will do it, but I would suggest 6.5mm Grendel or 6.8mm SPC will get the job done while being much more available.  Or you could do a 20" pencil bbl to give 5.56x45mm a bit more oomph.  I'm setting up a 26" pencil, and I'm amazed @ how well it handles.

I would skip the ventilated upper.  One of the ways the AR controls gas release in a KaBoom event is to channel gas down through the magwell, which it won't do if gas is escaping on both sides of the upper into your daughter's eyeballs.

ETA:  If she's still growing, I would suggest an ordinary collapsible carbine stock.
View Quote
Hi Backbencher,

My daughters never really got into lego's, LOTS of Barbies though. I guess that's what what you get with 5 girls, lol.  That's a great point with the skeletonized upper, never thought it might be a safety issue. A few years back I had the unfortunate experience of a revolver going off when my hand was next to the cylinder, tore me up pretty good. I would definitely not want that or anything close to it happen to my daughter,  I will probably be going with the Aero upper then.

Those strike industries stocks look pretty cool!! I will be putting a few of them on my list.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#15]
That is definitely a neat build they did there, though I think I will be going a little less Michael Keaton and a little more Christian Bale in my paint scheme.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I also don't want to blow my money with limited gain on investment.
View Quote
Are you one of the guys that think he needs his money back on an AR?  
No bashing, this site is full of such people.  Just saying, if so, you definitely are going to light money on fire with this build.

This is okay in my book, because doing this for your daughter, and getting her shooting with you is priceless.

Also, I am hoping that you become an obsessed AR builder like many of us, and abandon that need have a return on your spending, and post pictures of a dozen different builds, soon!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#18]
You can build her a nice one for less than 800.00, especially this time of year. This is pretty cool: https://www.google.com/search?q=batman+themed+ar15&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG17CnjY7fAhVGLKwKHStUDTsQ_AUIDygC&biw=1350&bih=599#imgrc=_

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are you one of the guys that think he needs his money back on an AR?  
No bashing, this site is full of such people.  Just saying, if so, you definitely are going to light money on fire with this build.

This is okay in my book, because doing this for your daughter, and getting her shooting with you is priceless.

Also, I am hoping that you become an obsessed AR builder like many of us, and abandon that need have a return on your spending, and post pictures of a dozen different builds, soon!
View Quote
I am definitely never going to let this gun go. To me value is what I get out of a rifle in terms of looks, function, and overall practicality . I just don't want to be paying a premium price for a name brand when company X is producing basically the same thing for 1/2 the price. Though I don't mind shelling out the cash if there is added benefit. Take for example my daughters
Kali's rifle (shown below). I will admit, being that it was the first rifle built between my 5 daughters I got a little carried away with it. It is a Howa SA sporting a Brux barrel in 6BRX, timney trigger, and McMillian Stock. It is probably not the most practical or economic build for a six year old's first deer hunt. If I were to do it over again I would have gotten a cheaper barrel and not gone with the McMillian stock.  As it stands, the rifle is a tac shooter and will consistently group in the .2's with an appropriate optic and hand load. it ain't gonna shoot anywhere near that with that red dot though. And while the rifle fits her like a dream, It will be awhile before she realizes the benefits of the McMillan as well.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Post pics of your reloading setup, please.  Your choice of calibers is fascinating.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Its really nothing special, just a rockchucker press, RCBS electric scale, RCBS case trimmer, and Lee classic powder measure. I reload for a couple of odd ball chamberings as well as some wildcats: 303 Savage, 30 Remington, 218 bee, 9.3x62, 550 mag, 450 NE, 338 Edge and 6BRX. I really want a 585 HE, maybe either a 30-375 Ruger or a 30 Nosler and somewhere in the distant future a big bore ar-10.  Lately, I have been gravitating toward wildcat chamberings as they tailor to my exact wants/needs without having to sacrifice anything. For example, the 6BRX packs most of the punch as its larger uncle the .243 but is also capable of being down loaded to .223 type recoil.-a feat very few factory offerings are able to duplicate.

Also, this came in today

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:35:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:40:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Its really nothing special, just a rockchucker press, RCBS electric scale, RCBS case trimmer, and Lee classic powder measure. I reload for a couple of odd ball chamberings as well as some wildcats: 303 Savage, 30 Remington, 218 bee, 9.3x62, 550 mag, 450 NE, 338 Edge and 6BRX. I really want a 585 HE, maybe either a 30-375 Ruger or a 30 Nosler and somewhere in the distant future a big bore ar-10.  Lately, I have been gravitating toward wildcat chamberings as they tailor to my exact wants/needs without having to sacrifice anything. For example, the 6BRX packs most of the punch as its larger uncle the .243 but is also capable of being down loaded to .223 type recoil.-a feat very few factory offerings are able to duplicate.

Also, this came in today

https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a612/wallinad160/20181211_101401_zps7wncpmrf.jpg
View Quote
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top