Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 60
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Muad:

Update from Franklin on their facebook page:

"Recently we received a response from the ATF regarding our Binary Firing System. The ATF Firearms Technology Branch thoroughly evaluated the trigger and affirmed that the concept of a "pull-release" design is congruent with a semiautomatic definition. However, the FTB staff have required that we make one change to the design. This change has already been made, and a sample will be shipped to the ATF-FTB in the very near future. We hope that the secondary review doesn't take another 90 days, but we look forward to informing everyone as we progress on this long awaited product."
View Quote

That's great news...I wonder what the change was.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Mr_Smiley:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

"Recently we received a response from the ATF regarding our Binary Firing System. The ATF Firearms Technology Branch thoroughly evaluated the trigger and affirmed that the concept of a "pull-release" design is congruent with a semiautomatic definition. However, the FTB staff have required that we make one change to the design. This change has already been made, and a sample will be shipped to the ATF-FTB in the very near future. We hope that the secondary review doesn't take another 90 days, but we look forward to informing everyone as we progress on this long awaited product."

If the original design required anything "extra" to keep your weapon from firing out of battery, I'd bet they are making them remove it.  I too would be very curious to see a before and after of the original design versus V2.0.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

Not sure.

They noted a MSRP in a reply, ~$329.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]

That's great news...
View All Quotes

That's great news...

Mmmkay.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By I-M-A-WMD:
Mmmkay.
View All Quotes

That's great news...

Mmmkay.

How is it not?

The concept was approved.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RockHard13F:

If the original design required anything "extra" to keep your weapon from firing out of battery, I'd bet they are making them remove it.  I too would be very curious to see a before and after of the original design versus V2.0.

View All Quotes

Interesting theory...expand on that.  I'd think they'd need to ensure no out of battery discharge and that the ATF would want it there but I'm curious to hear why you think that's the case.

If anything, I suspect that they required the manufacture to use a more permanent attaching method for the components that keep the hammer from dropping before the trigger is released.  If said component could be easily removed by simply pushing a pin out, the trigger group could probably be converted to run full auto by simply taking a part out of the assembly.

Wes
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:01:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: I-M-A-WMD] [#7]

How is it not?

View All Quotes

That's great news...

Mmmkay.

How is it not?

You lost me where it was approved, but a change was required.  The phrasing doesn't meld so well IMO. Of course, now that the ATF is onboard with the engineering aspect, what could possibly go wrong?  Color me skeptical.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:14:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Smiley] [#8]

You lost me where it was approved, but a change was required.  The phrasing doesn't meld so well IMO. Of course, now that the ATF is onboard with the engineering aspect, what could possibly go wrong?  Color me skeptical.
View All Quotes

SNIP

That's great news...

Mmmkay.

How is it not?

It's farther then I thought it would go. IMO the concept being approved is great, just because Franklin Armory had to make a change (which they said is already done and ready to be sent out) doesn't mean that other companies can't use a different method to get the same result.

The greater implications of the ATF approval that a trigger that fires from pull and from realease is a semi is huge.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:22:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: I-M-A-WMD] [#9]

The greater implications of the ATF approval that a trigger that fires from pull and from realease is a semi is huge.  
View Quote

I'm not here to argue with you friend, but actually- it's old news.  This is just another in a long train of "Can we? Can we?" until the answer is NO.  

ETA: We may not get the big ugly axe this go-round, but sooner or later- BAM! A reversal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Interesting theory...expand on that.  I'd think they'd need to ensure no out of battery discharge and that the ATF would want it there but I'm curious to hear why you think that's the case.

If anything, I suspect that they required the manufacture to use a more permanent attaching method for the components that keep the hammer from dropping before the trigger is released.  If said component could be easily removed by simply pushing a pin out, the trigger group could probably be converted to run full auto by simply taking a part out of the assembly.

Wes
View All Quotes

Wes

There have been certain weapons approved by ATF in the past and released as title 1 firearms that had "safety sears" installed to prevent out of battery detonation/firing.  If a weapon has a sear which prevents it from firing out of battery, it greatly simplifies safely converting it to fully automatic fire- I have seen an SOT convert a title 1 weapon in a manner similar to what you describe (simply removing a pin or some other simple adjustment) and then registering the weapon as their own manufactured machine gun.

Said weapons, which I shall not name, were never recalled or reclassified- rather their designs were quietly changed at a certain cutoff and production continued.  There has been great speculation that as tens of thousands of such weapons were sold, ATF simply didn't want to have to track them all down- nor did they want people realizing what they had or why ATF wanted them.

So that is my theory.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 3:25:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Well hopefully it'll be released soon.

If street price is ~$300 or less, I'll probably pick one up.

Now we need BAD to make compatible selectors.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:03:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't want something that fires on the release of a trigger. Just get the G3S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvr0rSaFgZE
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#13]

There have been certain weapons approved by ATF in the past and released as title 1 firearms that had "safety sears" installed to prevent out of battery detonation/firing. If a weapon has a sear which prevents it from firing out of battery, it greatly simplifies safely converting it to fully automatic fire- I have seen an SOT convert a title 1 weapon in a manner similar to what you describe (simply removing a pin or some other simple adjustment) and then registering the weapon as their own manufactured machine gun.

Said weapons, which I shall not name, were never recalled or reclassified- rather their designs were quietly changed at a certain cutoff and production continued. There has been great speculation that as tens of thousands of such weapons were sold, ATF simply didn't want to have to track them all down- nor did they want people realizing what they had or why ATF wanted them.

So that is my theory.

View All Quotes

SNIP

Interesting theory...expand on that. I'd think they'd need to ensure no out of battery discharge and that the ATF would want it there but I'm curious to hear why you think that's the case.

If anything, I suspect that they required the manufacture to use a more permanent attaching method for the components that keep the hammer from dropping before the trigger is released. If said component could be easily removed by simply pushing a pin out, the trigger group could probably be converted to run full auto by simply taking a part out of the assembly.

Wes

There have been certain weapons approved by ATF in the past and released as title 1 firearms that had "safety sears" installed to prevent out of battery detonation/firing. If a weapon has a sear which prevents it from firing out of battery, it greatly simplifies safely converting it to fully automatic fire- I have seen an SOT convert a title 1 weapon in a manner similar to what you describe (simply removing a pin or some other simple adjustment) and then registering the weapon as their own manufactured machine gun.

Said weapons, which I shall not name, were never recalled or reclassified- rather their designs were quietly changed at a certain cutoff and production continued. There has been great speculation that as tens of thousands of such weapons were sold, ATF simply didn't want to have to track them all down- nor did they want people realizing what they had or why ATF wanted them.

So that is my theory.

Early PS90's were very easy to convert.  Pretty much any design that holds the hammer back until the bolt closes is easy to convert.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Not sure.    

View All Quotes

Not sure.    

in like Flynn at $329
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#15]
in for ATF determination.  At the suggested srp of $330ish this would be a must have for me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mre1974:
in for ATF determination.  At the suggested srp of $330ish this would be a must have for me.
View Quote

And I will be able to use the happy switch position on my spikes lower.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Updates?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:50:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By wagonwheel1:
Training and muscle memory what it is, this sounds dangerous as all h*ll. Releasing  a trigger to fire off a round ? What could go wrong ?

If I want a fast trigger I'll get an S3G or similar.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Updates?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By WaMag:

View All Quotes

Updates?

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ControlledChaos999:

View All Quotes
Updates?

I'm sure they will update this thread the minute they get word... Hopefully with good news.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By M4Tank:

I'm sure they will update this thread the minute they get word... Hopefully with good news.
View All Quotes

Updates?

Last I heard, they were still waiting on the ATF. This was as of last week.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Im no ranger or seal or anything but why are so many people calling this dangerous and comparng it to the Gs3g? The s3g is a totally different concept and the trigger that the G man is gonna make isnt even like the franklin trigger either, only thing they share is they will both go to the third position. Lets keep this an apples to apples comparison
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#24]
How is the concept of this trigger system different than the TAC Con?
Going to be firing a TAC Con trigger at a shoot this sunday, will be interesting to see the 2 compared.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By 50cal:

Going to be firing a TAC Con trigger at a shoot this sunday, will be interesting to see the 2 compared.
View Quote

This unit is supposed to drop the hammer when you pull the trigger to the rear, and when you release it forward.

The 3MR from Tac-con simply claims to allow you to increase RPM with their assisted reset.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Updates?

When I talked to them a few weeks back, they stated they received a reply; from ATF, on the FIRST sample they submitted. They made some changes and submitted a second sample. They are basing the current timeline on the "quick" response of the first sample submission. So in other words, "Soon"
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:07:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#27]
Not sure if this has been posted in this thread already, or not. But this has been approved in the past by ATF. Old news!

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Does franklin armory have a release date, im interested in this. have a lower waiting to accept it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#29]

This unit is supposed to drop the hammer when you pull the trigger to the rear, and when you release it forward.

The 3MR from Tac-con simply claims to allow you to increase RPM with their assisted reset.
View All Quotes

The Tac-con trigger is more of a bump fire system. Their assist helps bump the trigger but it still relies on the way you hold the trigger and the pressure you apply. Different users will get different results depending on finger size, how well they feather the trigger etc.

The Franklin is one shot when you pull, one shot when you release in 3rd mode.Think about how fast YOU can manually dump a full 30 round mag. You basically double that speed.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Tohbii:

Does franklin armory have a release date, im interested in this. have a lower waiting to accept it.
View Quote

The release date is whenever the BATFE decides to approve the trigger.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By xtreme762:

Not sure if this has been posted in this thread already, or not. But this has been approved in the past by ATF. Old news!

https://youtu.be/aZfj6n_sN_8 https://youtu.be/OvmBqeuDzIM
View Quote

That is beautiful.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:58:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#32]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:

The Tac-con trigger is more of a bump fire system. Their assist helps bump the trigger but it still relies on the way you hold the trigger and the pressure you apply. Different users will get different results depending on finger size, how well they feather the trigger etc.

The Franklin is one shot when you pull, one shot when you release in 3rd mode.Think about how fast YOU can manually dump a full 30 round mag. You basically double that speed.

View All Quotes

I've had a Taccon since th y came out, it's not really a bump fire trigger-it has what they call a positive reset function.

Imagine a.gun with trigger slap, like one of the AKs that are painful l to shoot.... Now imagine that trigger slap had a spring loading so that it didn't hurt, just helped your finger  forward to the reset position. That is what a Taccon trigge does. If you mash the trigger back, the spring isn't strong enough to overcome your finger pull on the trigger, but with a light pull it pushes it back to where you are ready to fire again, instead of having to manually palpitate your finger on the trigger, you only have to pull back, and with the right pressure and rhythm you end up mimicking full auto fire.

I like my Taccon trigger, and will be very happy to try the Franklin trigger and hopefully the Gieselle if it is approved.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
I've had a Taccon since th y came out, it's not really a bump fire trigger-it has what they call a positive reset function.

Imagine a.gun with trigger slap, like one of the AKs that are painful l to shoot.... Now imagine that trigger slap had a spring loading so that it didn't hurt, just helped your finger  forward to the reset position. That is what a Taccon trigge does. If you mash the trigger back, the spring isn't strong enough to overcome your finger pull on the trigger, but with a light pull it pushes it back to where you are ready to fire again, instead of having to manually palpitate your finger on the trigger, you only have to pull back, and with the right pressure and rhythm you end up mimicking full auto fire.

I like my Taccon trigger, and will be very happy to try the Franklin trigger and hopefully the Gieselle if it is approved.

View All Quotes

The Geissele was NOT approved. I believe Bill posted in the thread in GD about it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#34]
i want this trigger.

Waiting for ATF approval fucking sucks

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#35]

The Geissele was NOT approved. I believe Bill posted in the thread in GD about it.

View All Quotes

It hasn't been disapproved either, ATF has so far not provided a legal opinion that it's not a machine gun conversion part.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

yet, Bill said he hasn't heard from ATF yet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By sagmill:

They are not going to approve it so it looks like it will never see the market. Not much can be done about it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By sagmill:
They are not going to approve it so it looks like it will never see the market. Not much can be done about it.

]

Why
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Usually it's because they either are struggling with intellectual honesty, or are boxed in by earlier approvals or denials they have made.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Usually it's because they either are struggling with intellectual honesty, or are boxed in by earlier approvals or denials they have made.
View Quote

With the upcoming court cases its going to be hard to justify the no MG after 922o passed law with approvals for triggers that allow you to shoot at the same number of rounds per minute. I'll bet the Director of the ATF is wishing he had a time machine to go back and kill the bumpfire stock and the Taccon trigger.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I would definately definately be interested in one of these FCGs, particulary for a 9mm build.  For a 5.56 lower that might host a more accurate type upper I would be apt to prefer a really light clean trigger.  I figure that I can hammer out 3-400 RPM at a target at close range if I needed too.  IMO, that is enough for a rifle chambering.  

But for a 9mm, or other pistol cal, which is weak, this trigger would help compensate for the poor effectiveness of handgun cartridges.  A 9mm carbine suppressed shooitng 147 g w/ one of these triggers would be about as quite & lethal as a weapon as you could get, a poor man's suppressed SMG.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Fuck the BATFE.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:51:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Smiley] [#43]
lol I was just thinking about this thread...

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#44]
We gotta keep bumping this thread so we all know when the trigger gets released. That way we can all bombard Franklin Armory for these triggers, and cause a 5yr. lead time on the part..
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#45]
We gotta keep bumping this thread so we all know when the trigger gets released. That way we can all bombard Franklin Armory for these triggers, and cause a 5yr. lead time on the part..
View Quote

You forgot the part of the story where the trigger sucks and people take it in the ass in the EE scrambling to sell them and recoup some of their money. It would be great if the story ended differently, but I am not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By evlblkwpnz:

You forgot the part of the story where the trigger sucks and people take it in the ass in the EE scrambling to sell them and recoup some of their money. It would be great if the story ended differently, but I am not holding my breath.
View All Quotes

OR THE TRIGGER WILL BE AMAZING AND WOMEN WILL BE SUCKING MY DICK JUST SO THEY CAN DO MAG DUMPS ON MY BCM
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#47]

OR THE TRIGGER WILL BE AMAZING AND WOMEN WILL BE SUCKING MY DICK JUST SO THEY CAN DO MAG DUMPS ON MY BCM
View All Quotes

and then you wake up from that dream and realize that still doesn't happen
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#48]
So much for using good trigger control and follow-through.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By CavScout8:

So much for using good trigger control and follow-through.
View Quote
Two very different types of shooting. If your worried about a gentle press and hearing the disco release while your inside a house your doing it wrong.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#50]

There have been certain weapons approved by ATF in the past and released as title 1 firearms that had "safety sears" installed to prevent out of battery detonation/firing.  If a weapon has a sear which prevents it from firing out of battery, it greatly simplifies safely converting it to fully automatic fire- I have seen an SOT convert a title 1 weapon in a manner similar to what you describe (simply removing a pin or some other simple adjustment) and then registering the weapon as their own manufactured machine gun.

Said weapons, which I shall not name, were never recalled or reclassified- rather their designs were quietly changed at a certain cutoff and production continued.  There has been great speculation that as tens of thousands of such weapons were sold, ATF simply didn't want to have to track them all down- nor did they want people realizing what they had or why ATF wanted them.

So that is my theory.

View All Quotes

Wes

So that is my theory.

Is it OK to mention the SKS ?
Page / 60
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top