Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 3:51:42 PM EDT
I'm late to the AR party. Just started playing with them this year. Helluva lot of fun!

https://www.lakerfly.com/images/bench3a.jpg

22" WOA heavy varmint barrel and handguard
Young Mfg side charging upper receiver and BCG
Seekins lower
Geissele match trigger (2-1/2lb 1st stage and approx. 10oz 2nd stage)
Magpul PRS Gen3 stock
Magpul bipod
Accu-Shot monopod
Ergo grip
Leupold VX3i CDS 6.5-20X50 scope with 1/8 minute target dot reticle

Then, I turned off the gas so it's basically a single shot, straight pull bolt gun with a big magazine now. It may just well be the world's most useless AR-15. :) I've only function tested it so far, but even with cheap ball ammo, it's easily 1 MOA and frequently better. (It's also frequently worse with those weird flyers that show up with that ammo.)

Anyway, I've got some high hopes for this thing, as a bench gun as well as varmint control. I'm out in the boonies and have a backyard range with berms at 100 and 200 yards thanks to my neighbor's bulldozer, so I'll be reloading all winter and doing the serious testing in the spring when the rain quits. The range gets pretty flooded between now and April so it's kind of messy working with it until it dries up a bit. Thanks to all the folks posting here over the years - made my intro to the AR world a lot easier!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome, interesting/neat build.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Schroderson. I still have one tweak to make on it. I used a mil-spec rifle length tube, buffer and spring to accomodate the stock, and dropping the bolt from the bolt release won't quite allow it to go into battery. It does fine if I slingshot it, but I'd like to be able to use the bolt release after a mag change. Not sure if I need to change buffer weights or spring strengths but it just needs a little more oomph. I machined a plug so I can run carbine springs and buffers where there's alot more options to choose from.  Other than that, it's a very sweet, comfotable shooter as long as you don't have to shoulder it. And the best part of no gas is no dirt. :)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top