BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/2/2020 8:58:39 AM EDT
Just saw on Instagram that there is a new light coming with 1350 lumens.  Unfortunately that is all that is known as of now.  More details are supposed to be announced tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#1]
An OKW with 1350 Lumens would be epic. I'd buy the shit out of that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An OKW with 1350 Lumens would be epic. I'd buy the shit out of that.
View Quote
That's what I'm hoping this is too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Shit I just bought an OKW!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's what I'm hoping this is too.
View Quote
Same, I'll buy 2 of them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
The OWL REIN sounded like it was going to be this kind of light too, we'll see which comes out first.

WIsh I hadn't just bought a few of the "old" modlites.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice. Almost bought a modlite today but got distracted at work.

Guess I'll either get this new one or scoop up a used one on the EE for a good price
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The OWL REIN sounded like it was going to be this kind of light too, we'll see which comes out first.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the REIN kinda missed when they went with a non-surefire tailcap standard. I get that they're trying to improve things, but standardization has a quality all it's own. Using existing tailcaps/pressure switches was my main reason for jumping on the Modlite bandwagon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think the REIN kinda missed when they went with a non-surefire tailcap standard. I get that they're trying to improve things, but standardization has a quality all it's own. Using existing tailcaps/pressure switches was my main reason for jumping on the Modlite bandwagon.
View Quote
Absolutely agree.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Absolutely agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely agree.
You can't keep chasing legacy hardware/software if you are trying to innovate.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just saw on Instagram that there is a new light coming with 1350 lumens.  Unfortunately that is all that is known as of now.  More details are supposed to be announced tomorrow.
View Quote

Modlite Soon™
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Hope to see some details on their site soon.  I hate this social media age.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#12]
So 1350 Lumens and 54k candela. Falls right inbetween the PLH and OKW.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Basically their version of the rein.  I'm sure it will use surefire tailcaps though
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah this baffled me to no end.

"Hey CD, the OWL is pretty good, but can you make a version that takes a Tailcap so we can interface it with our lasers/dual switches?"

"No problem! Here is our Surefire profile REIN that is basically like an OWL, but it won't work with any of your laser switches that exist or are coming out."

I actually don't understand the thought process at all. I'm not necessarily a big fan of these 18650/18350 battery only lights but it just seems like CD gives very little reasons to buy their over a Modlight.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So 1350 Lumens and 54k candela. Falls right inbetween the PLH and OKW.
View Quote
PLH is 1500 lumens and 29k candela, just for reference. I'll probably buy one of these new 54k candela lights just for the sake of trying.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"Hey CD, the OWL is pretty good, but can you make a version that takes a Tailcap so we can interface it with our lasers/dual switches?"

"No problem! Here is our Surefire profile REIN that is basically like an OWL, but it won't work with any of your laser switches that exist or are coming out."

I actually don't understand the thought process at all. I'm not necessarily a big fan of these 18650/18350 battery only lights but it just seems like CD gives very little reasons to buy their over a Modlight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When weapon lights start using the 21700 batteries, things might get very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When weapon lights start using the 21700 batteries, things might get very interesting.
View Quote
Probably. We're at a point where a lot of these lights just seem to be more tuning reflectors for specific tasks tasks than something only these batteries can pump out. The Dual Fuel can push 1200 lumens on 123's, yet it doesn't throw as far cause it's designed for spill. It doesn't make sense why it has to be an 18650, or why it can't be dual fuel.

Once we are at a point where we can have an OKW profile beam in addition to the Surefire DF spill? That'll be neat.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What will be really interesting is if we see a IR Laser + Osram WML unit co-powered by a shared 21700...
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#19]
OK, OK, but where is the new Modlight?
Choices out there now have never been better with Cloud Defensive and Modlite and I need to make some decisions.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#20]
More information coming tomorrow.   If I had to guess I'd say it will probably be out around summer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Better sell your AR with that viewpoint
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
No they wont. No LEDs need more than 10A draw. All you gain is runtime at the expense of a shit ton of weight. Unless you meant the numbers on the scale will be "interesting" to you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, just buy another KAC
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks very nice. My one hangup is that I prefer the warmer temperatures of light - for that reason, I'll probably spring for the REIN.

I think the ~55k candela ~1500 lumen lights are ideal for general purpose rifle use, enough throw for a LPVO to take advantage of and enough spill to afford decent situational awareness at medium range.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks very nice. My one hangup is that I prefer the warmer temperatures of light - for that reason, I'll probably spring for the REIN.

I think the ~55k candela ~1500 lumen lights are ideal for general purpose rifle use, enough throw for a LPVO to take advantage of and enough spill to afford decent situational awareness at medium range.
View Quote
I've found tints in the 3500ish range or so tend to "brown out" when using LEDs. I've missed spotting rabbits with those that I see with a 5-5500k or so temp. YMMV, very subjective.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow. That is a really impressive light.

Big Tex Outdoors has the new PLHv2s in stock, and will be shipping tomorrow morning:

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/modlite-plhv2-18650-weapon-mounted-light-package-54000-candela/
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Olight warrior x pro is a thrower
2250 lumens
21700 battery
Uses 1inch mounts like most 18650 sized lights

And I've beat the snot out of mine

Much tighter beam than my surefire fury dual fuel.

Only thing I would like is a plug in tape switch over the magnetic switch. Though I have yet to have issues with my magnetic switch so far.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
2250 lumens
21700 battery

Only thing I would like is a plug in tape switch over the magnetic switch. Though I have yet to have issues with my magnetic switch so far.
View Quote
It also weighs 200% what my modlite does. Meaningful to me, maybe not to others, but is a thing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
2250 lumens
21700 battery

View Quote
The 1" mount compatibility is probably mount specific - the body is actually 1.05". I have mine in a GG&G 1913 Mount, and I had to get longer screws, and grease them (for "stripping" safety) - but it worked well.

I actually like the Magnetic Switch - if it gets caught, you won't damage anything, and the light still operates with the tail button. You could probably 'Ranger Band' (the small ones) the cap to the body - or definitely run a ring of electrical tape with a pull tab, if you wanted.

I love the light though - it tested at 106,500 Candela in a Lumen Tube (granted, that was one sample - M4DM4X on YouTube)

WXP Review
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Big Tex Outdoors has the new PLHv2s in stock, and will be shipping tomorrow morning:

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/product/modlite-plhv2-18650-weapon-mounted-light-package-54000-candela/
View Quote
Nice. Guess I'll grab one when they release tomorrow.

Any opinions on 18350 vs 18650? 35min run time on 18350 seems kinda low.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I haven't timed it, but it sounds about right to me. You have 30-35 minutes out of what, a 1200mah battery, and you get 80ish out of a 3500mah? The math checks out for me as being pretty sensible.

I used to be of the opinion that CR123=best, but have done a fair bit of testing on 18350 and 18650's, and am very comfortable with them from a reliability/durability/longevity standpoint. Also...since going with an HL-X and Modlites, I truly have saved a legit bundle on Surefire 123's.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I like the 18650 as you can always mount it all the way forward on a rail and the extra length just goes forward.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Personally, I like the 18650 as you can always mount it all the way forward on a rail and the extra length just goes forward.
View Quote
I like brakes. I'm snobbish about the finish on my light, but more functionally, about keeping carbon off the lens as much as possible. Also, when I run a suppressor, all that heat next to the head can't be great.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like brakes. I'm snobbish about the finish on my light, but more functionally, about keeping carbon off the lens as much as possible. Also, when I run a suppressor, all that heat next to the head can't be great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont think you're wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same with the suppressor. This is going on a 11.5" gun that is suppressed 100%.

I'd like more runtime but idk if it's worth the size and weight.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Same with the suppressor. This is going on a 11.5" gun that is suppressed 100%.

I'd like more runtime but idk if it's worth the size and weight.
View Quote
For me it's mainly footprint/rail space. On a 11.5" gun, you're looking at a 10.75" rail or thereabouts. If you want to keep the light head away from the can, you're going to have a rough go of it while not eating up real-estate.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It also weighs 200% what my modlite does. Meaningful to me, maybe not to others, but is a thing.
View Quote
Plus it is made in China.

Surprised this new Modlite came out so fast.  Available a day after announcement?  THAT is the way to do it.

If only I had waited just a little bit longer to venture out beyond my M600DFs.....well live and learn damn it.

I was just on Modlite's site and it looks like the new head is 230.  Swore the old ones were 280....nice price drop.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Plus it is made in China.

Surprised this new Modlite came out so fast.  Available a day after announcement?  THAT is the way to do it.

If only I had waited just a little bit longer to venture out beyond my M600DFs.....well live and learn damn it.

I was just on Modlite's site and it looks like the new head is 230.  Swore the old ones were 280....nice price drop.
View Quote
Yes, they said on IG the new head is cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I will be ordering one as soon as they are available tomorrow. I have an OKW on my work rifle and a hand held PLH 5k for my duty belt. I will be putting the PLHV2 on another rifle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm thinking about one for a handheld myself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I will be ordering one as soon as they are available tomorrow. I have an OKW on my work rifle and a hand held PLH 5k for my duty belt. I will be putting the PLHV2 on another rifle.
View Quote
I'll be on their site for 2 as soon as 8am hits to replace my PLH and OKW.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Ordered!
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Put my order in for a plhv2 18350

I'm thinking the 18650 would be too big on my 11.5".

Im sure I'll be happy with it either way though as a good upgrade over a scout 300
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ordered!
View Quote
Same, 2 inbound.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Got the the v2 in 18350 for my 10.5"

I came upon a situation that actually not being able to pierce the photonic barrier of some security lights in a building could have cost me dearly. ALL THE FUCKING LUMENS!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#47]
For some reason they discontinued the normal PLH.

I don't know why this isn't just a separate head to sit inbetween the PLH and the OKW. There was a wide gulf between the two that could have used a middle ground - but now it's sort of just OKW and OKW w/ Spill?

Actually confused by that move.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For some reason they discontinued the normal PLH.

I don't know why this isn't just a separate head to sit inbetween the PLH and the OKW. There was a wide gulf between the two that could have used a middle ground - but now it's sort of just OKW and OKW w/ Spill?

Actually confused by that move.
View Quote
I'm not, this is a straight up upgrade over the previous PLH.

If you are less concerned with spill and really need another 15k Candela then there is still the OKW.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm not, this is a straight up upgrade over the previous PLH.

If you are less concerned with spill and really need another 15k Candela then there is still the OKW.
View Quote
How is it a straight up upgrade? Its 1350 lumens vs 1500 but has a tighter and brighter hotspot which is where the candela number comes from. This means there is less lumens going to the outside of that hotspot.

I dont know why youd suggest the OKW, the light with virtually no spill, when my post is dealing with the fact they killed their head that has the most spill.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How is it a straight up upgrade? Its 1350 lumens vs 1500 but has a tighter and brighter hotspot which is where the candela number comes from. This means there is less lumens going to the outside of that hotspot.

I dont know why youd suggest the OKW, the light with virtually no spill, when my post is dealing with the fact they killed their head that has the most spill.
View Quote
Because the lumens are virtually identical and the candela is much higher.  That's why it is an upgrade and is replacing the older version.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top