Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2021 1:40:09 PM EDT
So I have had a Noveske Gen 2 lower laying around for about 7 years and I thought best to get it built while I still can.

So,  those lowers back then ran Noveske marked (and slightly diffrent) Vltor MUR uppers.

That being said,  I received the above upper in the mail a week ago.   Problem is I like Centurion rails.  My MLOK rail has those little anti-rotation ears just below the top rail.

They hit on the upper and wont glove over it.......

I have a Gen 3 upper on backorder and I think it will match up well to the Gen 2 lower.....but its gonna take forever and a day to come.  I also have a Noveske MLOK rail on backorder,  but same story there.

Really want to run the Centurion rail.

Would you guys be afraid to file off the anti-rotation tabs?  I was thinking I could apply some loctite on the outside of the barrel nut where the rail clamps on to help eliminate any possibility of it moving.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you just buzz a little off of the interior of those ears? I'd rather do that than removing them. Think of it as 'hand fitment'

You won't harm anything by removing them though. You'll probably be able to see bare aluminum if you remove them. If that bothers you then there's anodizing pens/markers you can touch it up with.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you just buzz a little off of the interior of those ears? I'd rather do that than removing them. Think of it as 'hand fitment'

You won't harm anything by removing them though. You'll probably be able to see bare aluminum if you remove them. If that bothers you then there's anodizing pens/markers you can touch it up with.
View Quote

Negative.....

The OD or outside of the ears is nearly flush with the receiver so there would be next to nothing left.

Yea,  I already picked up a touch up pen.

I was just curious if guys have done this before and if they had any movement.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you guys be afraid to file off the anti-rotation tabs?
View Quote

Not at all.  Have had to more than once on billet uppers and nothing ever moved once tightened down.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not at all.  Have had to more than once on billet uppers and nothing ever moved once tightened down.
View Quote

Thanks.....exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I wasn’t exactly jazzed needing to file down a $240 rail.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks.....exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I wasn’t exactly jazzed needing to file down a $240 rail.
View Quote

Neither would I be.  But I have never owned a $240 rail and likely never will
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:21:58 AM EDT
[#6]
There are MANY handguards designs that attach to the barrel nut that do not have those ears. Never had one turn on me.

I suppose it's possible for the nut to turn if a BIG guy tumbled down stairs, had a vertical grip and torqued on it 'just right'. Other than that, no worries.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Neither would I be.  But I have never owned a $240 rail and likely never will
View Quote

What?  If you don't have a $400 Gucci rail on your build you aren't one of the cool kids!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Centurion makes superior, no frills, no nonsense rails.

There are certainly cheaper, as well as more expensive options.

I reserve “gucci” for fashiony parts,   like stripped lowers that are milled to look like a damn sharks head.  Not much utility there.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Centurion makes superior, no frills, no nonsense rails.

There are certainly cheaper, as well as more expensive options.

I reserve “gucci” for fashiony parts,   like stripped lowers that are milled to look like a damn sharks head.  Not much utility there.

View Quote

I'd tend to agree for the most part  I'm not the originator of the term.  In another thread here someone used that to describe a certain brand of rail that while a solid functional choice are typically about twice the price of similar offerings from other brands.  I've yet to get anyone to offer a reasonable expectation on why some rails are so expensive compared to others which have almost the same design and features.  As far as I can tell it is paying for an expensive brand name for bragging rights.  I'm not saying there aren't some expensive products that are worth it, but some others I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you're using the MUR upper because it's "correct", but aren't worried about the Centurion rail being "incorrect", it might be time to reevaluate and decide which is more important.
View Quote

You’re correct....

Like I said,  I’ve have that gen2 lower laying around for about 6-7 years.

I didn’t know the Noveske marked MUR’s are actually dimensioned slightly different than the regular Vltor’s.  They are wider in front of the ejection port in addition to having the hole drilled for their rails.

Again.... as I said,  I have another upper and as well as a rail on backorder........

Who knows how long that will be.  

Obviously I’m worried about it.......or I wouldn’t of started the thread......
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd have no problems completely removing them if needed. Hopefully, you can just file them a little for a perfect fit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd have no problems completely removing them if needed. Hopefully, you can just file them a little for a perfect fit.
View Quote

Thanks,

If I absolutely have to,  I will go that route.  The tabs are no bigger than a match head, so its not like i’d be chopping the hell out of it.  There are literally shit tons of rails that rely solely on the barrel nut, so there is that I guess.

But for now,  I will just wait and see if my other parts come.  BTW,  Regarding the second amendment,  I think we are “ok” for now.  But, come late summer/fall after they wrap up with the corona virus shit show,  I think there is a good chance they are going to try to shove some big gun control bills down our throats.

Be prepared guys.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top