BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would be nice if someone made a castle nut wrench that was thicker/ wider where the torque wrench inserts.  The torque wrench seems to wobble in that area because there is not enough real estate to encompass the entire 1/2in or 3/8in shaft.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/B2AA9917-9338-441A-BB0A-2016F7F83A22_jpe-2385481.JPG
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

notice in the pic that the assembler is using his thumb to keep the wrench seated on the castle nut.  this is critical.  this being the case, you do want a slight bit of allowance so that the strong arm of the torque-wrench arm doesn't unseat the wrench and the applied thumb pressure.  sometimes when you're applying the torque, the human arm doesn't move in a perfect arc in the plane of the castle nut rotation due to the combination of all the multiple joints, disturbs the wrench from being fully seated.  need to allow for that.  now, a robotic arm wouldn't have that variance.  JMHO.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
new-page 1st-post glitch.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/B2AA9917-9338-441A-BB0A-2016F7F83A22_jpe-2385481.JPG

notice in the pic that the assembler is using his thumb to keep the wrench seated on the castle nut.  this is critical.  this being the case, you do want a slight bit of allowance so that the strong arm of the torque-wrench arm doesn't unseat the wrench and the applied thumb pressure.  sometimes when you're applying the torque, the human arm doesn't move in a perfect arc in the plane of the castle nut rotation due to the combination of all the multiple joints, disturbs the wrench from being fully seated.  need to allow for that.  now, a robotic arm wouldn't have that variance.  JMHO.
View Quote

It is much easier to keep a wrench or anything with a handle/ arm straight if it’s acting as one piece.  Once you start adding extensions, adapters and so on that have movement/ wobble, it causes issues.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Made a couple of minor updates to my Blue Jigs. Really pleased with how this works.

Updates to my NcStar Blue Jig!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Made a couple of minor updates to my Blue Jigs. Really pleased with how this works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEsvbpV_Z0
View Quote

The commentary on Rob's jig was great! I gave the video a thumbs up.

Still haven't had the chance to use my big green abortion...
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad I found this thread a while back. Some good recommendations for jigs and such. Had an AR I built years ago when I had my first go at it not knowing any better and did a janky job of it. Buffer tube was crooked, something was up with the front site base being canted as well.

Ended up going with the VISM/NCSTAR jig for the buffer tube which I found on The Country Shed, got a Midwest Industries Receiver Rod, and also a Brownells receiver face lapping tool.

After rebuilding the whole setup using the jigs and proper techniques all the way down to the thread lube for the barrel nut threads, everything is straight and squared away. The blue buffer tube jig really is a nice buy for the money.

Appreciate all the info put into this thread. Now I have a nicely built gun and not some ghettoness.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol, you big green jig is awesome,
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went with this
https://botach.com/kz-ar15-m4-receiver-extension-buffer-tube-block/

It doesn’t have the tang to connect to the lower receiver itself. But I have not had any issues applying the 40 ft lbs and clocking. I do use the grease as specified on the threads as well as stake in two places while held in this tool.
You can use this tool as well in four different orientations if you are wanting to hold a lower for any sort of work.
View Quote

Did Botach fix their shipping "difficulties"?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I have since shimmed my blue jig buffer tube mount by .025" in the rear. Its off by that much. Now its perfect.

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Been playing around with this BLUE jig some more.
Updates to my NcStar Blue Jig! Déjà vu

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Keeping the Receiver Extension aligned while tightening the castle nut is a problem?  I can only think of one time in about 25-30 assemblies over the years that I ever had to redo the assembly of the RE because I was distracted.

I keep a LOT of tools for AR assembly, but that one is superfluous.  Its so easy to eyeball the RE and very slight misalignment will not make any difference as long as the buffer retaining pin is aligned properly and not binding on the RE.  That's it.

This is a tool for the anal-retentive types  LOL.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keeping the Receiver Extension aligned while tightening the castle nut is a problem?  I can only think of one time in about 25-30 assemblies over the years that I ever had to redo the assembly of the RE because I was distracted.

I keep a LOT of tools for AR assembly, but that one is superfluous.  Its so easy to eyeball the RE and very slight misalignment will not make any difference as long as the buffer retaining pin is aligned properly and not binding on the RE.  That's it.

View Quote

I have spent $40 on specific tools like a castle nut specific wrench, $40 for a alignment jig that can also be used for other miscellaneous tasks is no biggie.  I have never had to redo an “assembly” but a handful have had a very slight cant that technically caused no issues but for the price of the blue jig, it’s a no brainer for me.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
For me it's about the absolute simplicity of using the jig. My eyeballs aren't as sharp as they used to be and the jig removes any doubt. I also have a few different reaction rods and armorer's wrenches. I don't have a problem amassing tools I use. Hell, I've bought a couple of specialty auto tools just because I didn't  want to pay dealer labor on something I could do myself.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

These types of jigs are often used by gunsmiths, professional armorers and factory assemblers. But I agree, for the average home builder, it's not a necessity.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I just wish I could find a jig type set up for installing the Magpul UBR stocks... That thing cants badly.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for your Resume,
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 3:12:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I just had to buy the Kley-Zion buffer tube block when it went on sale a couple of months ago... That NC Star block seems like a superior option.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I made my own buffer jig, for those with 3d printers.

https://odysee.com/BufferJig:4
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just had to buy the Kley-Zion buffer tube block when it went on sale a couple of months ago... That NC Star block seems like a superior option.

View Quote

I have both and while the NC Star jig is nice (especially for the price), it is not perfect. As others have said, some (including the one I have) require some fiddling to get exact alignment of the receiver
extension.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have both and while the NC Star jig is nice (especially for the price), it is not perfect. As others have said, some (including the one I have) require some fiddling to get exact alignment of the receiver
extension.
View Quote
Good to know.

I actually finally installed my castle nut tonight and had zero issues with the buffer tube moving. Nice and straight on the first go.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

extension.

View Quote

Yeah I would agree thats a fair statement out of the box.

I really like mine, I like my modified screws, springs under the cap, extended length pistol grip screw, and shimmed tower. So not much fiddling now, slide it in and tighten it down. I modified both of mine identical.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Partially assembled a couple lowers today using the big GREEN jig! I'm here offering a picture for proof.

It's awesome and worked perfect! The receiver extension alignment is dead on and there were no modifications required... For the price I'd be pissed if there were.

Anyways, finishing these 2 lowers got interrupted by a short notice call in for work early tomorrow morning and that ruined my mood for completing them. Plus I launched a Geissele SD-E disconnector spring into another dimension while I was trying to seat it in it's pocket in the trigger... I don't have the greatest luck in seating those damn things, so if anyone has any tips that would be great.

P.S. I went ahead and attempted staking the end plates on these 2 even though I did not have good results on the last ones I staked due to the Colt end plates being overly hard. To my surprise it went well this time around, even though I'm using Colt end plates from what I assume came from the same batch. However, I changed my procedure to only stake in one spot instead of two, since staking in 2 spots can make removing the end plate from the buffer tube near impossible without damaging the threads on the tube. Of course you could always get the Dremel out (the one tool I don't have) and cut the end plate off.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Why does your castle nut look like it come off the sotards burnt up gun lol?

That GREEN jig is bad @ss!
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#25]
More Blue Jig Updates and a Nitrogen Teaser.

NcStar VISM Blue Jig UPDATES
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why does your castle nut look like it come off the sotards burnt up gun lol?

That GREEN jig is bad @ss!
View Quote

Haha! I got a little carried away with the moly grease on those last two and made quite a mess...

It's so weird, sometimes I get through it like a pro and sometimes it seems like I've never done it before.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks OTDR for looking up the thumb screws, saved me a few minutes of digging through McMaster.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#28]
delete
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

notice in the pic that the assembler is using his thumb to keep the wrench seated on the castle nut.  this is critical.  this being the case, you do want a slight bit of allowance so that the strong arm of the torque-wrench arm doesn't unseat the wrench and the applied thumb pressure.  sometimes when you're applying the torque, the human arm doesn't move in a perfect arc in the plane of the castle nut rotation due to the combination of all the multiple joints, disturbs the wrench from being fully seated.  need to allow for that.  now, a robotic arm wouldn't have that variance.  JMHO.k
View Quote

Classified defense is what you seek
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@OTDR, does McMaster sell that extended grip screw as well?  IF so, can you provide the part number?

I might as well buy it all at once!

Thank you
View Quote

Yeah, but, you have to buy a pack of 10 as well as the nuts. Also their stainless steel, hi quality, not so cheap.

PM me a shipping address and I will mail you one of my extras, on my dime. I was wondering what I was going to do with all of the extra ones anyway lol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're very kind, IM sent.
View Quote

Will go out in todays mail. Tracking # to follow.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:46:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That is not really that much. I would be more worried about the wrench I used not slipping off at 40 ft lbs than the jig. I watched the video people mentioned and it looked like the wrench slipped off the nut at the end as it was being tightened.
View Quote

Other wrenches possibly slipping off, but not this one.

Tango Down Castle Nut Wrench (review)
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#35]
One thing i havent seen mentioned about the green jig is that it can handle AR-10 and AR-15 lowers. It was expensive, but this made it 100% worth it to me.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
One thing i havent seen mentioned about the green jig is that it can handle AR-10 and AR-15 lowers. It was expensive, but this made it 100% worth it to me.  

https://i.imgur.com/616RYZZ.jpeg
View Quote

Yes!

This is something that confused me with the instructions that came with the green jig. The instructions make it sound like you loosen the screw for the grip tang fork and just fold it out of the way for use with AR-10 type receivers and use it like a Geissele reaction block. Your picture shows otherwise though, so maybe you could clear up the confusion for me? It looks like you just flipped the grip tang fork upside down and that's not clear by reading the instructions at all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes!

This is something that confused me with the instructions that came with the green jig. The instructions make it sound like you loosen the screw for the grip tang fork and just fold it out of the way for use with AR-10 type receivers and use it like a Geissele reaction block. Your picture shows otherwise though, so maybe you could clear up the confusion for me? It looks like you just flipped the grip tang fork upside down and that's not clear by reading the instructions at all.
View Quote

Take the screw completely out and slid off the grip tang, you will see how it works then.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes!

View Quote

The hole for the grip tang fork screw is ovaled. Remove the screw and move the fork down until it lines up with the grip tang. Reinsert the screw and tighten down.

I was also confused until i took it apart.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#39]
The blue jig works with both AR15 and AR10 lowers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Cant remember if I posted this before, I may have only PM'ed it to Cliff a few weeks back, not sure

Adapter extension for LAW folders coming, if you happen to own that useless piece of junk, the law folder that is, not the jig lol. Got this pic directly from the owner. Another $79.00 for the law adapter,....OK then.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The blue jig works with both AR15 and AR10 lowers.

[/url]
View Quote

and blue jig works with useless law folders and commercial tubes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

And neither of the jigs work with the nonstandard sized Taiwanese Type 91 tubes
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

It also works with rifle RE’s!  ??
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Take the screw completely out and slid off the grip tang, you will see how it works then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes!

Ha! I guess If I had an AR-10 type receiver I would've found this out already.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The hole for the grip tang fork screw is ovaled. Remove the screw and move the fork down until it lines up with the grip tang. Reinsert the screw and tighten down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes!

Got it! Makes a heck of a lot more sense now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dont have any either.

Been 6 weeks since any new Green jigs been up for sale. Im guesstimating, they manufactured and sold less than 140 of these big Green Abortions.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I dont have any either.

Been 6 weeks since any new Green jigs been up for sale. Im guesstimating, they manufactured and sold less than 140 of these big Green Abortions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont have any either.

Just never really got into .308, it's nice to have that option to work with those upscale lowers though (just in case).

Man, it's cool to have one of these one offs. Every time I open my bottom tool box drawer the big GREEN jig catches my eye and holds my gaze for longer than it probably should.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#48]
I just ordered one of the blue jigs, have to get the upgrade screws.
I am excited to test it out. I have a build I'm getting ready to put together.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

Got the jig today, and swapped the screws. I'm really impressed with the build quality.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, but, you have to buy a pack of 10 as well as the nuts. Also their stainless steel, hi quality, not so cheap.

PM me a shipping address and I will mail you one of my extras, on my dime. I was wondering what I was going to do with all of the extra ones anyway lol.
View Quote

@OTDR

What was the sku ref on those screws you bought?

Thanks!
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top