Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 39
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Mad Dog Weapons Systems has done some testing with the SFAR and Rogue.  It appears the Rogue bolt will work in a standard AR barrel extension if you modify the lug on the extractor.  It also works in the SFAR bolt carrier.  Opens up rebarreling options significantly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Outstanding.  This is good info.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
My SFAR will arrive next week.  Looking at magazines, what's the general consensus on 20 vs 25rd PMAGs?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By November5:
Mad Dog Weapons Systems has done some testing with the SFAR and Rogue.  It appears the Rogue bolt will work in a standard AR barrel extension if you modify the lug on the extractor.  It also works in the SFAR bolt carrier.  Opens up rebarreling options significantly.
View Quote

I'd make an effort to know what the Rogue and SFAR bbl extensions are made of before I relied on a std extension for something with a .473 rim/case body .
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sq40:  My SFAR will arrive next week.  Looking at magazines, what's the general consensus on 20 vs 25rd PMAGs?
View Quote

You just made a very deliberate choice to buy the lightest .308 semi for the money?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:55:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#6]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

You just made a very deliberate choice to buy the lightest .308 semi for the money?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:  My SFAR will arrive next week.  Looking at magazines, what's the general consensus on 20 vs 25rd PMAGs?

20rds. Gotcha.

Ive even opted for light weight optics. A Vortex Spitfire 5x (10.3oz) with Venom RDS (1oz).

Basic nylon sling.   Going to be a light gun for sure. 9.4lbs unloaded.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve never had bad luck with my steel DPMS or magpul 20s, so I have stuck with them.  Got a pack of magpul -5 limiters for their 10 round mags for elk hunting, making a 5 rd mag.

Once I get done playing around with this excellent, and heavy 3.5x10 mine will have a lighter LPV on.  Be interesting to see how light the gun is then.   Only other change is the brake is coming off,
And a griffin linear is going on.
Trigger is good enough so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

I wonder what it would take to convince Brownell’s to make waffle pattern aluminum again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:
My SFAR will arrive next week.  Looking at magazines, what's the general consensus on 20 vs 25rd PMAGs?

I wonder what it would take to convince Brownell’s to make waffle pattern aluminum again.

Maybe not too much.  It would be a simple product for them, on a platform that is only gaining popularity.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Weren't they steel reproductions?

Brownell's sunk a lot of money into Retro, and I presume they dropped it b/c the ROI wasn't there.  Would be difficult to convince them their analysis was wrong, might have better luck w/ @Mike_NDS
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 9D1Alpha:

I'd make an effort to know what the Rogue and SFAR bbl extensions are made of before I relied on a std extension for something with a .473 rim/case body .
View All Quotes

I'm planning on using it on a 6BRX.  I also just ordered a .458 SOCOM extractor to see if that will work rather than modding the POF extractor.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 5:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#13]
I'm planning on using it on a 6BRX.  I also just ordered a .458 SOCOM extractor to see if that will work rather than modding the POF extractor.
View All Quotes

Excellent thought on the extractor

* it looks like the POF bbl ext is proprietary material like the bolt . Proceed with extreme caution with std ar bbl ext .
** some Grendel bolts fortified might be nice on the pof extension
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 11:44:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#15]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:

The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Plus, didn’t those mags have feeding issues?
View Quote

Exactly.  Don’t know if they had issues, but we have mags that work and are cheap.  I disliked magpul at first, but they just work.

Mike, are you going to be doing anything for the SFAR?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 2:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#16]
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
I don’t have plans or ideas for that platform.

The general market has that covered.
View Quote

Thank you, I’m sure that’s right.  These things are selling well and somebody will figure out the bbl/extension thing in due time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

Thank you, I’m sure that’s right.  These things are selling well and somebody will figure out the bbl/extension thing in due time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mike_nds:  I don’t have plans or ideas for that platform.

The general market has that covered.

I think someone's already swapped POF BCG/bbl to the Ruger, & Ruger just announced a 6.5 Creed.  If you want an off caliber, all you need is a bbl blank and sacrifice your Ruger bbl.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Test fired my 20 inch SFAR in 308 today.
40 rounds fired on gas setting 3 and 2, both 100 percent reliable.

I was using reloaded 308 previously chronographed around 100 fps slower than factory M80 ball. Ejection pattern was consistent around 2 o'clock. Recoil impulse was considerably lower than my expectations.

The brass shows distinct marks for both ejectors, obviously there are 2 of them
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Beater9C1:
Test fired my 20 inch SFAR in 308 today.
40 rounds fired on gas setting 3 and 2, both 100 percent reliable.

I was using reloaded 308 previously chronographed around 100 fps slower than factory M80 ball. Ejection pattern was consistent around 2 o'clock. Recoil impulse was considerably lower than my expectations.

The brass shows distinct marks for both ejectors, obviously there are 2 of them
View Quote
Which powder?

In the interest of refinement, I would try a little heavier buffer and velcro on the deflector.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:11:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Which powder?

In the interest of refinement, I would try a little heavier buffer and velcro on the deflector.
View Quote

44.2 GR BLC-2. Hornady 150gr fmj with a CCI #34 primer

I have an H1 & H2 buffer to try out. I think it's kinda strange they are shipped with a standard carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#23]

I have an H1 & H2 buffer to try out. I think it's kinda strange they are shipped with a standard carbine buffer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:  Which powder?

It ships w/ an adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

The SFAR does.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:

The SFAR does.
View Quote

Methinks he was answering, not asking
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
The SFAR does.

I think it's illustrative of how fixated the community has become on adding weight to slow the BCG - when the AR-15 - and the SFAR - are genius level light weight rifles.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:11:35 AM EDT
[#27]

I think it's illustrative of how fixated the community has become on adding weight to slow the BCG - when the AR-15 - and the SFAR - are genius level light weight rifles.
View Quote
If setting 1 is closed and setting 2 is swiping the head, you can add reciprocating mass or replace the gas tube. Adding mass is easier for me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:51:03 AM EDT
[#28]

If setting 1 is closed and setting 2 is swiping the head, you can add reciprocating mass or replace the gas tube. Adding mass is easier for me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  I think it's illustrative of how fixated the community has become on adding weight to slow the BCG - when the AR-15 - and the SFAR - are genius level light weight rifles.

Fair point.  You wonder under what conditions Ruger expects it to run on what, the 8th position?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:  Which powder?

My idea of playing with buffer weights was only to see if the ejection pattern changes, and to test if reliability would change with a buffer weight increase.

The ejector marks on the brass I'm not sure if I would worry about with the ammo I used. They were 150gr fmj hand loads that will clock around 2650 fps from a 1/12 twist M1A so by my data not as hot/fast as m80 ball.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 8:51:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#30]

My idea of playing with buffer weights was only to see if the ejection pattern changes, and to test if reliability would change with a buffer weight increase.

The ejector marks on the brass I'm not sure if I would worry about with the ammo I used. They were 150gr fmj hand loads that will clock around 2650 fps from a 1/12 twist M1A so by my data not as hot/fast as m80 ball.
View Quote
Hodgdon's listed data is 45-48gr in Winchester cases for 2650-2850fps from 24" barrel.

If it's visibly smearing (I assume not tactilely) with a lukewarm load, what will it do with a MAX?

Link Posted: 12/25/2023 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Fair point.  You wonder under what conditions Ruger expects it to run on what, the 8th position?
View Quote
They still advertise 4 positions. Closed, suppressed?, normal, adverse, is my guess.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#32]
So here's where I ended up:  Replaced the muzzle brake with an AAC Blackout flash hider, added a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44.  Added a QD swivel point on the handguard and a BFG Vickers sling.  Kryptek cling pending deciding to rattlecan or not.

Zeroed and broke in with 100 ish rounds of 147 grain FMJ at the range.  Gas block set on 3, ejection pattern about 3 o'clock.  No accuracy issues apparent from the gas block.  Shot nice tight groups and easy to dial in with the scope turrets.

Took out deer hunting using Black Butterfly Ammunition company 168gn Barnes TTSX rounds.

Dropped one in his tracks about 80 yards from the blind, rear right quarter shot.

Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Hodgdon's listed data is 45-48gr in Winchester cases for 2650-2850fps from 24" barrel.

If it's visibly smearing (I assume not tactilely) with a lukewarm load, what will it do with a MAX?

View All Quotes

Help a brother out brony. First AR10 type rifle. Never had issues with 5.56 ARs with pressure signs even having loaded alot of ammo that's published 5.56 data.

Are you suggesting a buffer weight increase may reduce the ejector swipes I'm having?
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Took my 16” SFAR out for the first time today.  Ran good but did not want to lock the bolt back with PPU 147gr.  I’m told this a light load.  It liked the Federal 308 150gr.  Only put about 60 rounds through it on setting 2 and 3.  Didn’t seem to make a difference. Shot moa with the Federal.  Trigger is pretty good too.  No brass damage at all.  Love it so far.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:38:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#35]

Help a brother out brony. First AR10 type rifle. Never had issues with 5.56 ARs with pressure signs even having loaded alot of ammo that's published 5.56 data.

Are you suggesting a buffer weight increase may reduce the ejector swipes I'm having?
View Quote
Yes. The greater inertia slows the unlocking. Lower residual pressure and more brass springback is less force against the bolt face as it turns.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

lol. Thank you for your service.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

lol. Thank you for your service.

Thank you.

That GB looks like it was born there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_0764_jpeg-3066952.JPG

Thanks,  It is pinned and has been a solid, durable, performer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Is there anything on the horizon as far as spare parts goes for the SFAR proprietary parts?  If I could get a spare BCG, I would commit hard to this.

Right now I have just one, 16".  I would get 2 or 3 more but I hate to own a rifle that I cannot work on/stock up spare parts for.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Doesn't look like they have much on their official page: https://shopruger.com/Parts/products/2528/  Have you contacted them to ask if they'd sell a bcg?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#39]
If you don’t have a SF yet, you are wrong.

Just got back from a 120 round range trip. Flawless, accurate and the recoil with my new linear comp was only a bit more than the excellent Ruger brake.  
I shot 20 with a bare muzzle, and the other 100 with the griffin comp.   Really only a smidge more recoil bare,
And the blast under cover was still rude, not as rude as the Ruger brake.
The griffin did its job pushing the blast forward.  A simple blast can would have done similar.

Attachment Attached File

Easy hits at 200, plenty of hits out to 420.
I need a high bipod, or better, a good tripod.  The steel goes way up there out to 600+

Great day for sure.  I did try some DPMS steel mags, only the 10 rd would stay locked.  The 20s would not stay in.  Magpul 20s were flawless.  

Attachment Attached File

Hit the pistol side too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Jakezor:
Doesn't look like they have much on their official page: https://shopruger.com/Parts/products/2528/  Have you contacted them to ask if they'd sell a bcg?
View Quote
IIRC, Ruger's  stated position is that an upper needs to be returned to them to have a new BCG installed.  Just like on a 5.56 gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
Is there anything on the horizon as far as spare parts goes for the SFAR proprietary parts?  If I could get a spare BCG, I would commit hard to this.

Right now I have just one, 16".  I would get 2 or 3 more but I hate to own a rifle that I cannot work on/stock up spare parts for.
View Quote

I bet it’ll be a couple years till the aftermarket catches up.   There is some proprietary voodoo in these.  That’s a lot of pressure being held back by a kind of tiny bolt.

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#42]

I bet it'll be a couple years till the aftermarket catches up.   There is some proprietary voodoo in these.  That's a lot of pressure being held back by a kind of tiny bolt.

View All Quotes

I bet it'll be a couple years till the aftermarket catches up.   There is some proprietary voodoo in these.  That's a lot of pressure being held back by a kind of tiny bolt.

Agreed.

I might get a 20" and hope that aftermarket gets it together.  

The cunty witches that run our state have some evil planned for this year so I want to stock up on pretty much everything.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Agreed.

The cunty witches that run our state have some evil planned for this year so I want to stock up on pretty much everything.
View Quote

They hit us with a 15 rd mag restriction a while back, I owned a couple DPMS LR308 then.  Magpul was cool about letting CO residents buy their goods cheap before the ban.  I laid in a lot of cheap mags thanks to them.  
Buy now if that is on your horizon.  You guys know how much I like my SF 20” so I won’t pump it up anymore.
I’m over 350 rounds in, I will start making my own ammo soon .  Sized and trimmed a couple hundred cases last week.

My only gripe is I want a better trigger. It’s ok, but just ok.  Easy fix.

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I just got a 20" SFAR. I haven't shot it yet, but have changed out the the buffer spring to a Tubbs flat wire spring and the buffer to an H2. Has anyone else done these 2 changes? Did they work?
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MSR_Gal:
I just got a 20" SFAR. I haven't shot it yet, but have changed out the the buffer spring to a Tubbs flat wire spring and the buffer to an H2. Has anyone else done these 2 changes? Did they work?
View Quote

Somebody probably has, but I just shoot mine.  Worked fine stock,
So other than pulling the brake I’ve not changed anything.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes. The greater inertia slows the unlocking. Lower residual pressure and more brass springback is less force against the bolt face as it turns.
View All Quotes

Shot the SFAR 20 inch again today. An H2 buffer got rid of the ejector marks about 90 percent.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Shot the SFAR 20 inch again today. An H2 buffer got rid of the ejector marks about 90 percent.
View Quote

With 5.56, I one-hand or otherwise hold it lightly for a few shots to feel if the buffer still thumps the back of the receiver extension. If it does with no other malady, I begin to trust function.

With .308, maybe put two rounds in the mag just in case of bumpfire.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#48]

They hit us with a 15 rd mag restriction a while back, I owned a couple DPMS LR308 then.  Magpul was cool about letting CO residents buy their goods cheap before the ban.  I laid in a lot of cheap mags thanks to them.  
Buy now if that is on your horizon.  You guys know how much I like my SF 20" so I won't pump it up anymore.
I'm over 350 rounds in, I will start making my own ammo soon .  Sized and trimmed a couple hundred cases last week.

My only gripe is I want a better trigger. It's ok, but just ok.  Easy fix.

View All Quotes

Agreed.

Buy now if that is on your horizon.  You guys know how much I like my SF 20" so I won't pump it up anymore.
I'm over 350 rounds in, I will start making my own ammo soon .  Sized and trimmed a couple hundred cases last week.

My only gripe is I want a better trigger. It's ok, but just ok.  Easy fix.

I'm stocked heavy on .308 AR mags.  Ok on DPMS pattern spare parts, probably should get some complete BCG's.

I'm tempted to buy a new one, pull the BCG and send the upper ot Ruger an pay for a new one to be fitted to the gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#49]

With 5.56, I one-hand or otherwise hold it lightly for a few shots to feel if the buffer still thumps the back of the receiver extension. If it does with no other malady, I begin to trust function.

With .308, maybe put two rounds in the mag just in case of bumpfire.
View Quote

Thanks again for the advice Brony.

I'm at 150 rounds total with zero malfunctions. I've been on gas block setting "2" the whole time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Finally got mine in and the Vortex Spitfire 5x / Venom RDS combo mounted.

Kinda diggin it so far with the dot and prism.

Next up is break in.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 39
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top