BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/17/2018 7:26:03 PM EDT
I just finished building this today, not sure what i'm going to do with it, but it looks kool. Takes MP5 Magazines. The only reason i waited for this is because i hate the straight mag 9mm AR's

Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice build.

That lower with a 8.5"  FM upper with a can would make me very happy.

_
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks nice.

Let us know how it runs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How hard are MP5 mags to find?
View Quote
Not hard, but, if you don't already have a pile, real HK mags are PRICY!

Some Korean MP5 mags out there for $30 or so, no idea how good or bad they are....

I'll stick with my colt and Glock mag AR9's...

Nice looking build OP, NFA is pretty good about R&D, hope they got this right for you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 2 mags from new frontier armory. They are KCI. I also have 3 MP5 mags.
The mags where 35 I think.
The upper is NFA C5
The lower is NFA C5
The bolt is NFA
Standard charging handle
NFA buffer 8oz
Pistol tube
Enhanced LPK where I could put it. The mag release comes installed.
I can't remember the trigger,  but it's milspec enhanced boron coated (ALG combat)
Magpul k
Ballastic Advantage 5.5 barrel,  
Seeking precision rail ( really like there nuts)

The whole gun with the can  weighs 6.2lbs
I'll shoot it tomorrow am

Also,  I'm going to SBR and put one of those Troy PWD? Stocks on it. I thinks it's called pwd
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#6]
yep, pretty cool. Time to get one of these...

or just do this...

As far as mags go, clear ETS mags, in 4 different capacities, are coming very soon...within the next couple of months.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#7]
That's pretty cool
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#8]
@workky

needs this bad!

link to hkpro
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#9]
What exactly is that? Is that handguard available for a AR setup?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#10]
ETS mp5 mags on the horizon? Why is their always someone trying to help me spend money here.....
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ETS mp5 mags on the horizon? Why is their always someone trying to help me spend money here.....
View Quote
Yeah, current estimate is May '18 release. I love their glock mags, so these should be pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Going to pick up my c-5 upper and lower tomorrow.  Going to use a tros 3 lug barrel 5.5 inch.

Not sure about the rest yet. Eventually suppressed so I don’t know what freefloat will be big enough for a suppressor to slide down through it.  This will be a really compact 9mm.  I picked up a couple KCI mags with it too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@KCode98
read the link
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Going to pick up my c-5 upper and lower tomorrow.  Going to use a tros 3 lug barrel 5.5 inch.

Not sure about the rest yet. Eventually suppressed so I don’t know what freefloat will be big enough for a suppressor to slide down through it.  This will be a really compact 9mm.  I picked up a couple KCI mags with it too.
View Quote
C'mon mang. ID is a stat in the PWD! Link is in my signature. You can copy the data from the rails tab into your own Google sheet and sort by ID and you'll have a list of 1500 rails at your disposal. There's a lot of options that a 1.5 or 1.625 can will for inside of, and even some that could take a 1.75 can.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#15]
SD hanguard on an Apex handguard? I don't get it...
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the info

Quoted:

C'mon mang. ID is a stat in the PWD! Link is in my signature. You can copy the data from the rails tab into your own Google sheet and sort by ID and you'll have a list of 1500 rails at your disposal. There's a lot of options that a 1.5 or 1.625 can will for inside of, and even some that could take a 1.75 can.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice.  I got my 80% C-5 in yesterday.  I'm still torn on ordering a FM upper.  Need to get some calipers and email Paul back, I think it will attach/mate up because the C-5 uppers say glock & colt lower compatible and i've seen people list they run their FM upper on NFA lowers... i'm assuming the FM upper will need to be clearanced for the MP5 mags.... but the question is how much.  I dont have a mill anymore and i hate dremmel tools.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#18]
How is the mag fitment in your lower? Are your mags tight? loosey goosey? Have you fired it yet? I received mine but have not had to build it yet. Just wondering how yours is functioning
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How is the mag fitment in your lower? Are your mags tight? loosey goosey? Have you fired it yet? I received mine but have not had to build it yet. Just wondering how yours is functioning
View Quote
The mags fit really nice and snug, no slop. I really like this gun, it shoots fantastic. I shot it yesterday.
I just put some magpul pro metal sights on it and it shot beautifully. Shot some 115's through it and some 147 gn. I need to get a dedicated 9mm can, i have an silencerco octane 45 on it right now, its my go to pistol can.
I had no malfunctions or issues, i am running NFA upper, lower, bolt, and buffer (8oz)

I have 4 of these mags

And 3 H&K MP5 MAGS
I really couldn't tell the difference between the two. Other than the color, the H&K's are a little more flat. The both functioned great.
I dont like my choice the pistol brace, but it will get me by for now. I will probably SBR it and install something different when the stamp comes.
But as far as kool factor goes, it is kool in my book, i was on a waiting list to get one of the lowers

The recoil is different than a AR-15 in 223 or 300, thats what im use to, never shot a pistol ar before this. But it certainly is a different feel. Its hard to explain, im assuming its because its blowback. But it did seem more harsh, if you will, than my 300. Or i should say, not as smooth. Its kinda like the difference between a 40 caliber pistol recoil and a 45. The 45 is more of a push and the 40 is more of a punch.

But, nevertheless, really like the C5 lower and the choice i made to wait until these came out. I like the curved mags, even if they are more expensive. In my opinion they just look bad ass.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice.

On my to-do list.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Possibly a dumb question: why didn't you run the side charging NFA upper?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#22]
The C-5 side charger isn't in stock atm
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know to be honest. I saw them, thought they looked kool, I'm not sure why I ordered the regular one. I think it was physiological, I thought it would weigh more
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The recoil is different than a AR-15 in 223 or 300, thats what im use to, never shot a pistol ar before this. But it certainly is a different feel. Its hard to explain, im assuming its because its blowback. But it did seem more harsh, if you will, than my 300. Or i should say, not as smooth. Its kinda like the difference between a 40 caliber pistol recoil and a 45. The 45 is more of a push and the 40 is more of a punch.

But, nevertheless, really like the C5 lower and the choice i made to wait until these came out. I like the curved mags, even if they are more expensive. In my opinion they just look bad ass.
View Quote
The recoil impulse on a blowback 9mm AR is definitely a bit harsh. It's not bad or anything, but I was surprised the first time I shot mine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I got some KCI mags from Apex.  Seemed to be a better deal shipped than NFA.   I’m pretty happy with the quality of the upper and lower.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That looks like it. They are $35 at NFA...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That looks like it. They are $35 at NFA...
Apexgunparts.com

24.99 each.  Then shipping
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#31]
MP5 mags from Apex Gun Parts and HKparts are Gen 1 old stock. Over 5years.

As far as I know, the price of the mags from NFA and other websites is $34.99. that is manufactured in 2018; Gen 2 Brand new.

See their package.

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I was curious about what bolt system it works with and their page says either Colt or Glock style. When I looked into the QC-5 they say it works with a Colt bolt which seems kind of weird given they are both meant to work with the MP5 mag. Wonder why one works with both and one does not. Dramatic price difference as well between the QC-5 and the C-5
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:23:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Have had my 80% C5 lower for a couple weeks now. My mags fit super loose. Like really really loose. Floppy jaloppy loose. I have 5 POF and 3 HK straight mags. All like that.
Also the straight mags seem to point straight down like a Colt mag gun. Weird.

Anyone planning on trying theirs out with a CMMG guard barrel & bolt?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Have had my 80% C5 lower for a couple weeks now. My mags fit super loose. Like really really loose. Floppy jaloppy loose. I have 5 POF and 3 HK straight mags. All like that.

View Quote
Did you contact NFA?

I was about to buy one of the MP5 lowers, but now I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Did you contact NFA?

I was about to buy one of the MP5 lowers, but now I'm not so sure.
View Quote
I did, he said once I coat it, the mags should fit tight. Which makes sense - the guys with the pre coated ones have tight fitting mags and the guys with raw 80%ers are fitting a bit loose.

Side note - the president of NFA, David, has answered all my email to their sales/CS very quickly. It always gives me a warm fuzzy when businesses are responsive like that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I can confirm loose fit on my 80%, just got 2 KCI mags in from hkparts yesterday.  I plan on cerakoting, but not sure cerakote will take up that much looseness.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm waiting on my custom-engraved C5 lower from NFA.  I asked CMMG about using the Guard bolt and barrel in the C5 lower, and they told me it would take a lot of work to make it use an MP5 mag.  They sent me a long explanation, and it was obvious they took a look at the C5/MP5 lowers to give the detail they did.  I think I'm going to try the Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer in mine, unless you guys see an issue with that.  I wish I had come across the Guard before ordering the C5 lower.  I blame the OP of this thread for my lack of self control.  I mean, I have to blame someone...
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm waiting on my custom-engraved C5 lower from NFA.  I asked CMMG about using the Guard bolt and barrel in the C5 lower, and they told me it would take a lot of work to make it use an MP5 mag.  They sent me a long explanation, and it was obvious they took a look at the C5/MP5 lowers to give the detail they did.  I think I'm going to try the Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer in mine, unless you guys see an issue with that.  I wish I had come across the Guard before ordering the C5 lower.  I blame the OP of this thread for my lack of self control.  I mean, I have to blame someone...
View Quote
Did the say what mods/work exactly would be necessary?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was wondering the exact same. Side charge would make that complete pretty much. I do like that nice rail/can setup. looks slick with the mp5 lower
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
@01svtL

CMMG didn't happen to go into any detail on what mods would be necessar, did they?

I could always do my FrankenGuard build on an NFA C-9 set but I'd love to have it on my C-5.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice build!!...can't wait to get mine done.

I got my C-5 Lower 2 weeks ago, got the C-5 Side Charging Upper this past weekend, the 5.5 barrel, bolt, and SBtactical PDW brace arrived this week... now just waiting on my lower parts kit, and M-Lok handguard to come in before I can start putting it together.

I decided to go this route since I already have several Hk MP5 mags.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@01svtL

CMMG didn't happen to go into any detail on what mods would be necessar, did they?

I could always do my FrankenGuard build on an NFA C-9 set but I'd love to have it on my C-5.
View Quote
I’ll have to dig up the email.  I’ll look when I get a sec.  It wasn’t all that detailed though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#43]
The Guard (and any DI bolt) requires a different height for the mag lips.  Might check w/ Mad-Machinist.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, that looks very nice. definitely nicer than straight mags or glock mags.

Reading on to see if you posted any updates.  I will subscribe.

Also, I wonder if this would work w/ a CMMG Guard upper?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#45]
put some diopter sights on that
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was curious about what bolt system it works with and their page says either Colt or Glock style. When I looked into the QC-5 their says Colt bolt which seems kind of weird given they are both meant to work with the MP5 mag. Wonder why one works with both and one does not. Dramatic price difference as well between the QC-5 and the C-5
View Quote
colt mags are double feed, like the HK
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Also, I wonder if this would work w/ a CMMG Guard upper?
View Quote
Not the upper from CMMG, needs enlarged cuts for HK mag -  but I ordered a guard bolt/barrel from opticsplanet for $320 to see if I can get it working with my C5
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 2:16:53 AM EDT
[#48]
I posted this in the PCC section thread already but here you go.

Decided to tag this lower with one of my form 1 SBR tax stamps.

Haven't started milling the 80% billet yet, or received my barrel so this is just a mock up..

7" handguard
Side charging NFA C5 upper
80% C5 lower
Maxim buttstock
Magpul grip
A3 tactical modular foregrip with "grenade" grip
HK diopter sights

Will be putting a first gen Echo in it.

I have a CMMG Guard barrel/bolt (8") on order. I may have it cut and rethreaded. Maybe 4.25" not surr yet, but that length with a 6" can would be mighty handy.

If I cant get the Guard to run with the MP5 mags I will go a different route.

Anyways heres some pics

POF curved mag Attachment Attached File

HK straight mag
Attachment Attached File

Mags fit a little loose - NFA said they should fit snug once the coating is applied. Heres hoping
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I posted this in the PCC section thread already but here you go.

Decided to tag this lower with one of my form 1 SBR tax stamps.

Haven't started milling the 80% billet yet, or received my barrel so this is just a mock up..

7" handguard
Side charging NFA C5 upper
80% C5 lower
Maxim buttstock
Magpul grip
A3 tactical modular foregrip with "grenade" grip
HK diopter sights

Will be putting a first gen Echo in it.

I have a CMMG Guard barrel/bolt (8") on order. I may have it cut and rethreaded. Maybe 4.25" not surr yet, but that length with a 6" can would be mighty handy.

If I cant get the Guard to run with the MP5 mags I will go a different route.

Anyways heres some pics

POF curved mag https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23996/20180525_211232-1664x832-555486.JPG

HK straight mag
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23996/20180525_211333-1664x832-555487.JPG

Mags fit a little loose - NFA said they should fit snug once the coating is applied. Heres hoping
View Quote
The POF Curved mag, are those like colt pattern but curved?

Why would you bother registering an 80% as a title 2 weapon?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

MP5

Quoted:
Why would you bother registering an 80% as a title 2 weapon?
Good question.. When I was deployed quite a few years ago I sent several pay checks to the NFA branch for form1 SBRs and suppressors. Didn't have many lowers at home  at the time, didn't know the serial #s and knew I could just convert 80%ers in the future so Ive had a dwindling stack of unused tax stamps ever since.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top