Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2023 12:54:05 AM EDT
Hey all
I'm having major copper buildup behind the gas rings.  EVERY single new 300 aac barrel Does this it's really getting old.  The only 300 aac barrel that doesn't is the one I've owned for years. How can I take the lip of the drilled gas port inside the barrel down? Sending it back isn't an option. Thank you
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s more than likely a burr near the gas port, do you have a bore scope?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#2]
What cartridges or powder are you using?

"Copper Fouling Eraser" vaporizes copper in your bore and it needs to go somewhere -- which if it isn't out the gas ports on your carrier ends up inside and on the end of your bolt.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
There shouldn’t be too much of any burr on the gas port inside the bore after you shoot a few rounds unless it’s absolutely massive.

Is the buildup causing issues?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using plated 30 carbine round nose when they feed and 125 Hornaday fmj with enforcer.  Every new barrel I swear I just don't get it. My old one is flawless never this mess
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you yes after 60 rounds it basically locks up and that copper is caked on like shit takes forever to get off thr bolt wipes off the upper fine
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:50:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If I find the burr what do you recommend? The only thing that's ever worked is drilling out the gas port . Sad that I can do  a better job then the factory what the heck.. but on 556 barrels I've never in My life recieved a barrel with this issue . Please help thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
If you drilled the barrel's gas port out to too large of a diameter, that could be the problem vs the port having a burr.  I don't know about a .300 blackout port diameter, but on a 5.56 gas port, if you drill it over .110", the jacket will shave off as the bullet passes the port.

JT
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top