Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2024 1:58:05 AM EDT
Just finished this up today.  12.5" Clint Beyer barrel, Vltor PCC upper receiver, Borebuddy bolt and Catch-22 bolt adapter  v2.Attachment Attached File

Need to shoot it now!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Very Cool!  Let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#3]
This lower has a Geissele SSA-E trigger.  I might swap out lowers to use the LaRue trigger.  Not sure if the G trigger will work reliably.  Lots of posting about LaRue working though...  

Second guessing myself.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Snerticus:
This lower has a Geissele SSA-E trigger.  I might swap out lowers to use the LaRue trigger.  Not sure if the G trigger will work reliably.  Lots of posting about LaRue working though...  

Second guessing myself.
View Quote

You should use whichever trigger you like better, then adjust the hammer spring and bolt weight to give you the rim impact and push against the recoiling bolt you want.

I'm certain that the heavy hammer spring used by Larue will light off your ammunition.  It may also be so stiff that it will not allow the hammer to reset with very slow or very light ammunition and may impair the life of your firing pin.  A very light hammer spring may give more than enough force to leave a heavy strike mark on the rim, but may drive the bolt and hammer so hard that the trigger hook doesn't catch the hammer sometimes.

There is a difference in bolt velocity between 16", 12" and the very short barrels.  Norma Eco 24gr is reliable in function in my 16" barrels and less than reliable in my 10.5".

You'll let your ammunition tell you what works.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:29:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll try the SSA-E and see how it works.  I have 2x cases of 40gr CCI std and hope it has enough 'umph to cycle reliably.

Thanks for all the info you shared.  A lot of experience shows in the few sentences you shared.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#6]
I'll try the SSA-E and see how it works.  I have 2x cases of 40gr CCI std and hope it has enough 'umph to cycle reliably.

Thanks for all the info you shared.  A lot of experience shows in the few sentences you shared.  Thank you.
View Quote

THe Larue trigger won't run in a 9mm so I doubt it runs in a 22. I had to swap it for a mil spec so I just went mil spec in my 22 build too. I'll use the Larue in another 5.56 build
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:52:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zukiphile] [#7]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:

THe Larue trigger won't run in a 9mm so I doubt it runs in a 22. I had to swap it for a mil spec so I just went mil spec in my 22 build too. I'll use the Larue in another 5.56 build
View Quote

The Larue two stage trigger with the original HD hammer spring allowed function with my 22lr with a 16.1" barrel.  I used it enough that way to get a callous on my index finger.  Shorter barrels and lower velocities can reduce the bolt velocity enough to cause the hammer to fail to reset, but a 12.5" barrel should have a velocity about the same as a 16" barrel.

My problem with the Larue and the Larue hammer spring was that it hit the firing pin so much harder than necessary, the trigger shape forced me to address it with the tip of my finger, and the second stage was too long and heaver with a hard to change disconnector spring.  Of those three, the last two were purely subjective.  Fixing the heavy hammer strike with a reduced power spring lightened the strike, but also slowed the hammer.  I believe that lack of follow through with a slower hammer can turn a 9 ring hit into an 8.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:28:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snerticus] [#8]
Got to the range this A.M.  A balmy 30 degrees w/ a wonderful wind out of the East.  Terrific till about 930...

Couple observations->
1) The SSA-E  trigger was the correct choice.  Went bang when it should.  
2) CCI standard 40gr has some issues.  3 duds in about 200 rounds.  And my bolt would/could not grab the rim on the offending cartridge.  Pain in the butt, but a learning experience.  Not a light strike either.
3) The Borebuddy adjustable weight system is not necessary for me, right now.  Having the weight on the bolt carrier caused the trigger to randomly work.  Removed the weight and went to 100% function, until a dud CCI.
4)  With the weight removed from the bolt, the gun just ran.  
5)  The Catch-22  V2 bolt catch needs some break-in rounds.  Maybe 50% it worked.

But not complaining,  I had a blast!!

My target at 50 yards.  I used a 2.5-10x32 Vortex Gen 1 scope.  Then switched to a Swampfox Blade 1x prism.Attachment Attached File

1x Swampfox prism at 50 yards.
Attachment Attached File

The Beyer barrel was just what I wanted.  More than fair price, ordered, shipped and received inside 6 days.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the update!  Reliability will probably improve with use.    I haven’t tried the bore buddy weight system but I think they could be useful if your trying to use a suppressor.   I have five dedicated 22 LR AR-15’s but mine are all 16” barrels.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:12:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zukiphile] [#10]

2) CCI standard 40gr has some issues.  3 duds in about 200 rounds.  And my bolt would/could not grab the rim on the offending cartridge.  Pain in the butt, but a learning experience.  Not a light strike either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't know a way to find the ammunition that will work best for a barrel other than trying as many kinds as I can find.  

CCI SV used to be the default recommendation for accuracy and function.  In no barrel have I found it to provide excellent accuracy, even when it was good.

In the last couple of years I've ordered some that have a couple of duds per box.  These aren't light strikes -- I get them out, turn them and try another two or three times before I give up.

5)  The Catch-22 V2 bolt catch needs some break-in rounds.  Maybe 50% it worked.

I have no experience with the V2 ARCatch22, but with the V1 a bolt with excessive velocity could beat the catch.  

Be sure the stock bolt catch isn't binding in its slot.  I had binding of the catch that caused a frequent catch failure to rise, even after polishing.  I ultimately placed a spacer in the bottom of the cutout so the catch sits a mm higher.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Got to the range this A.M.  A balmy 30 degrees w/ a wonderful wind out of the East.  Terrific till about 930...

Couple observations->
1) The SSA-E  trigger was the correct choice.  Went bang when it should.  
3) The Borebuddy adjustable weight system is not necessary for me, right now.  Having the weight on the bolt carrier caused the trigger to randomly work.  Removed the weight and went to 100% function, until a dud CCI.
4)  With the weight removed from the bolt, the gun just ran.  
5)  The Catch-22  V2 bolt catch needs some break-in rounds.  Maybe 50% it worked.

But not complaining,  I had a blast!!

My target at 50 yards.  I used a 2.5-10x32 Vortex Gen 1 scope.  Then switched to a Swampfox Blade 1x prism.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/355715/20240325_100150_jpg-3169650.JPG

1x Swampfox prism at 50 yards.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/355715/20240325_110348_jpg-3169653.JPG

The Beyer barrel was just what I wanted.  More than fair price, ordered, shipped and received inside 6 days.
View Quote

What is the size of the target?  I'd expect a little tighter with a 2.5-10 and a Beyer
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice!

I have two beyer barrels and their fantastic
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#13]

Second guessing myself.
View Quote

I'm running a Geissele SD-E on mine with a Beyer barrel and have had zero problems with it:

My other Beyer barrel, I love em both

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

What is the size of the target?  I'd expect a little tighter with a 2.5-10 and a Beyer
View Quote

3" I believe.  I was cold and my hands, even in gloves were not working well.  And I was getting bored w/ shooting into the same spot over-and-over.  Shot faster.  Cold sucked my patience from me, but I still had fun and got out to shoot.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#15]
BETTER-MAG S&W® .22 RIMFIRE MAGAZINE ADAPTOR back in stock and swapped out the Catch-22 bolt catch adapter.
Waiting for a warm day and my schedule to co-operate and shoot some more.
And didn't want this archived until I give the barrel a fair workout.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top