BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2021 5:19:08 PM EDT
Like the title says. Need to stock up on mags.

Looking at Gen 2 Pmags with Windows vs. Pmags Gen 2 no window? I like the idea of the windows any problems with Gen 2 with windows Any reason to step up to gen 3?

What about Surefeed mags? Any better than Brownells or D&H with enhanced followers? Are they worth the extra cash?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Surefeeds for me, for long term stockup mags.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a shitload of Okay and Brownells GI mags and they’ve always been great.

I also have a shitload of non-windowed Gen M3 30s and 40s and the ones they’re making now are damn good too.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Like the title says. Need to stock up on mags.

Looking at Gen 2 Pmags with Windows vs. Pmags Gen 2 no window? I like the idea of the windows any problems with Gen 2 with windows Any reason to step up to gen 3?

What about Surefeed mags? Any better than Brownells or D&H with enhanced followers? Are they worth the extra cash?
View Quote

YES
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Gen 3 Pmags are supposedly a little stronger.

Windows?
A few maybe if you really want some.
But if you have time to check the window in a gunfight you should insert a full mag instead, because you fired enough rounds to lose count.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you should focus on what you can find, in stock, and not at an astronomical price.

Lots of perfectly acceptable and reliable brands out there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Bad timing to be starting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
In no particular order (beggars can't be choosers).

OKAY / NHMTG / D&H / PMAG M2 or M3, windowed or not.

Buy what you can get.

The hour is later than you think.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:17:15 AM EDT
[#8]
OKAY

Brownells

D&H

Lancer

Magpul (any Gen)

Cproducts

Center Industries (may be hard to find)

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

True but better than a year from now....
View Quote

Your right I had some set backs caused me to have to get rid of my collection a decade ago Though it was a glorious collection, I have nothing really now, there are no regrets in the process of starting over.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bad timing to be starting.

Yeah. Just a tough go currently, only to get tougher.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Gen 2 pmags have feeding issues. Gen 1 or 3 are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#13]
The good news is mags are still available and the prices haven't skyrocketed. Yet.

Availability is hit or miss so you have to look around. Lanbo's, Mag Shack, Gun Mag Warehouse, Dack Outdoors, and Greg Cote (pistol mags) are good places to start your search. Mag brand has already been covered.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where did this retarded shit come from??

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 2020’er.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Short answer is pretty much any Pmag will fit near any AR platform, some of the earlier ones had issues with non AR platforms.
Pmag gen 2 and gen 3, the biggest difference is if you want to double stack in pouches the gen 3 have a smaller baseplate.
But go ahead and buy any any reputable brand, I have Imperial Defense steel, pmag g2 and g3, Surefeed, USGI, Palmetto and maybe a dozen other manufacturers and they all work.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
DSG Arms is my go to for AR pattern mags.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A 2020’er.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 2020’er.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been buying a some GI Mags, Surefeed and Duramag. Then I have also bought gen 3 pmags. I think those are all good to go.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh noooo.

I'm dumping mine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right, should have seen the look on my face when I read that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I would not be too picky right now.  I don't know of any bad aluminum mags right now.  It seems that there are many plastic models to choose from, but Magpul and a couple others are all I would look for.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to try pretty hard to be this wrong yet so confident
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Between Okay and Pmag, I'd go Okay for 10+ year storage and Pmag if life were on the line. I have a bunch of Okay E1 and E2 but one drop on the feed lips knocking it out of alignment 1mm and you have potential feeding issues. I used a gauge and hammered mine back into shape, but will not be doing that in the middle of a 'situation'. At least a Pmag springs back into shape instantly and if it cracks you can see it and throw it out but it'll still run if cracked. If I were to toss a buddy a loaded mag at the risk of it being dropped on hard ground, I'd rather it be a M3 Pmag. Not a fan of the over-insertion tab as it catches on mag pouches though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
DSG Arms is my go to for AR pattern mags.
View Quote

DSG arms has been out of AR mags for weeks.

As for the OP's questions, I've seen hundreds of thousands of rounds put through AR mags, and the PMAG consistently outperforms all others. I prefer to stock up on Gen 3 PMAGs although I have a bunch of aluminum mags as well. I also prefer my Surefeed to my D&H and Brownells mags.

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Welcome to the party ,
They all work, what ever you can get a good price on is what I would get. Both magpul and metal mags.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:31:06 AM EDT
[#28]
You can order Pmags directly from Magpul.  

Not salad day prices, but nothing like what it’s gonna be in the timeframe between the vote and when the bill takes effect.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:53:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Right, should have seen the look on my face when I read that.
View Quote

It was a WTF? moment on my part, and I'm not even a Magpul fan boi.

Never had an issue with a Gen 2 Pmag.  I wish they still made the sand colored ones.

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:54:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It isn’t rocket science, these may be the LAST 30 round magazines!

Aluminum - Okay Industries

Plastic - Magpul
View Quote

Yeah, git 'em while they are still out there at reasonable prices.  Chances are prices will go up even if there is no ban forthcoming, and if one does come they will be unobtanium.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't think they even make gen 2 Pmags with the window anymore; IIRC they just make black G2s without covers.

People tend to see the window mags as more desirable so if you think you may ever trade or sell them keep that in mind. I'm not so sure of the window's practical utility, but the Marine Corps uses G3 window Pmags now, both in black and coyote; people tend to prefer the coyote ones because there is this internet myth that that color is the only one the Marines use-and of course, people want whatever the cool kids are using.

I wouldn't make a big deal about color or window/no window; you can stretch your dollar farther with no window mags because they're slightly cheaper. I would however go with gen 3s over 2s.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:25:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Gen2 or Gen3 Pmags (I prefer non window myself), Surefeed and even the D&H aluminum are decent.  Magazines are still plenty available and decent prices currently.  I’m still seeing Gen2 non window Pmags a few times a week for $12 and lower.  Surefeed are around the same price.  The D&H/ Duramags are $11-$13 all day and in stock just about everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:00:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Stopped by my local shop today and they had hundreds of Pmags. Gen3 and Gen3. Lots of Lancers as well. They are running a buy three Pmags and get $10 off. I bought 12 just for the hell of it. I also bought 4 lancers. Prices were normal. Only mags he was out of were FN 509 and M&P Shield mags.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:09:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Doing run and gun as well as drills, I much appreciate windows.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#35]
None of what you listed are what I would consider to be bad mags. Having been in your position, it comes down to how many and what the budget is.

There was a time that I was scooping up used mags on the EE when the budget allowed and I could find a deal (those days are gone). Right about that time I discovered Palmetto State and started buying 10 packs of D&H when they were 7 or 8 bucks a piece. I added mags to every ammo purchase back then....typically an order a week for awhile. I built my stock up to where I was comfortable.....and bought some more for range rotation.

But now? Yeah, pick your number per firearm, define your weekly/monthly budget, and get what you can. I'm an Army vet and either have or have owned every mag on your list. I cant say that any one is better than another.......personal preference really. I prefer aluminum GI mags but I would not turn down using a PMag of any generation. Same with Lancers. They all function fine with 193 and 855 (I haven't used anything other than that through my sticks).

Go on the hunt, find a mag on your list that is the lowest cost, and buy as many as the budget allows. Rinse and repeat until you hit your number.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Get the most out of whatever you can afford. PMAG M2 no windows. Okay Mags. Or some similarly respected mags. Becarefulling when ordering your mags, I got several OOS messages when I was ordering. So I placed other orders. I was not paying attention to getting placed on backorder with the other companies. Last couple of weeks I have gotten deliveries of 60 Magpuls M2s and 20 Okay mags. Not to mention close to 20 P228 mags.

Then there was the 11 OD Green G17 mags I got yesterday. Might have to sell some 30-30 to bandaid the credit card.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I primarily use Lancers but have been getting a lot of Okay Surefeed E2's lately as well.  When Global Ordnance had their steel G.I. style mags for $7, I bought a fair few of them too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Get the most out of whatever you can afford. PMAG M2 no windows. Okay Mags. Or some similarly respected mags. Becarefulling when ordering your mags, I got several OOS messages when I was ordering. So I placed other orders. I was not paying attention to getting placed on backorder with the other companies. Last couple of weeks I have gotten deliveries of 60 Magpuls M2s and 20 Okay mags. Not to mention close to 20 P228 mags.

Then there was the 11 OD Green G17 mags I got yesterday. Might have to sell some 30-30 to bandaid the credit card.
View Quote

@lostnswv where did you find G17 mags in stock?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly can not remember. I think the package says CF North Carolina. Use ammoseek.com to find who has them instock and best price.

Edit Global Ordnance
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Find the cheapest quality mag and that’s what you should stock up on. Gen 2 magpul, anything from okay, D&H, duramag, etc. the goal is to have a ton of quality backup mags.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:36:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OKAY

Brownells

D&H

Lancer

Magpul (any Gen)

Cproducts

Center Industries (may be hard to find)

View Quote

Are CProducts any good? Most of my aluminum mags are Colt, Okay or AdventureLine. Years ago I received a group of CProducts aluminum 20 rounders still wrapped in plastic as part of a trade, tossed them in the junk parts/trade box thinking they were commercial junk mags. Black followers marked 5.56, mag body with a slight curve to them, not straight like my Okay 20s.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Surefeed E2, PMAG MOE/M2, Surefeed USGI w/MP follower, PMAG Gen 3 windowed, OKAY 20 round

That's what I stocked on.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Are CProducts any good? Most of my aluminum mags are Colt, Okay or AdventureLine. Years ago I received a group of CProducts aluminum 20 rounders still wrapped in plastic as part of a trade, tossed them in the junk parts/trade box thinking they were commercial junk mags. Black followers marked 5.56, mag body with a slight curve to them, not straight like my Okay 20s.
View Quote

Never tried their 20 rd mags, their 30 rd are garbage IME.

I would not buy another C Pro mag regardless of cost.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I would not buy another C Pro mag regardless of cost.
View Quote

This.  I don't care if they are half the cost of a good mag.  

Given that Okay Surefeeds and PMAGS are so cheap, I am not really sure why anyone would choose anything else.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Given that Okay Surefeeds and PMAGS are so cheap, I am not really sure why anyone would choose anything else.
View Quote

Worth repeating.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Worth repeating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth repeating.

Multiple times.  D&H, Surefeed, Pmags, USGI for me only thank you.  I have more pmags than anything though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I prefer Lancers over G.I. mags or Magpul, not say those aren't good mags, depending on who makes the GI mags.  I've been buying a lot of the Okay SureFeed E2's along with the steel ones from Global Ordnance that they had for $7 from the time the plandemic went into effect until they were OOS.  They have functioned flawlessly in my AR's but I haven't put them through any sort of torture tests or harsh field conditions.  I have a fair few Magpuls & if there is a good sale I wouldn't be afraid to buy some, preferably the M3's.  My son has had a few problems in the field with his M2's so that's one more reason I like Lancers more.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I prefer Lancers over G.I. mags or Magpul, not say those aren't good mags, depending on who makes the GI mags.  I've been buying a lot of the Okay SureFeed E2's along with the steel ones from Global Ordnance that they had for $7 from the time the plandemic went into effect until they were OOS.  They have functioned flawlessly in my AR's but I haven't put them through any sort of torture tests or harsh field conditions.  I have a fair few Magpuls & if there is a good sale I wouldn't be afraid to buy some, preferably the M3's.  My son has had a few problems in the field with his M2's so that's one more reason I like Lancers more.
View Quote

I am the exact opposite.  I currently only own 5 Lancers and that's because 4 of them came in a trade the other day.  The 5th one is part of 3 I bought several years ago and the other two broke in the first two range trips.  I don't buy Lancers if I can help it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I am the exact opposite.  I currently only own 5 Lancers and that's because 4 of them came in a trade the other day.  The 5th one is part of 3 I bought several years ago and the other two broke in the first two range trips.  I don't buy Lancers if I can help it.
View Quote

@19119640
What broke on your Lancers?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@19119640
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@19119640

Also, I'm curious if they were the original Lancer's or the AWM's?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top