Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2018 9:23:07 PM EDT
Im am rebuilding my AR pistol that was a victim of a flood, my problem is the barrel seem to be rusted to upper.  I've drenched the area with Pb Blaster and let it sit for a day but it wont come out. Does anyone have any suggestions the would allow me to salvage the upper.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat the upper where the two meet
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Ill have to give that try.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#3]
you want to use many successive taps or vibrations for rust in general. do you have a hammer drill you can apply direct contact vibration on the barrel nut with a non-marring tip/bit? if not id use the correct sized wrench, put it on the barrel nut, and with the upper fully secured, lightly tap the of the wrench leftward with a hammer, while using the other hand to apply constant leftward (loosen) tension/torque. applying constant lbs/ft torque probably wont do much if it is indeed rusted.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
barrel nut came off the barrel just wont come out of the upper
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Soak it and all around it with Kroil.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Take a heat gun, don't use a torch, heat the upper to 300°F, clamp the barrel in a soft jaw vice, wrap the upper in a towel so you don't get burnt and start wiggling and pulling.  It will come off using this method.  I have never been unable to remove a barrel doing this, even ones that were bedded with sleeve retainer.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a similar situation with a old buffer tube on the back of the recievier.

I heated it with a tourch and this liquid started coming out of the threads. Seams that someone put grease on the threads of the tube and over the years it turned hard.

This could also be the same thing on your barrel threads.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
A friend had the same issue.  I used a heat gun to heat the barrel threads up and while he was holding the heat gun on the threads, I took a air chisel with a flat tip and a brass punch.  Put the punch on the barrel extension and hit it with the air chisel.  Got it off.

Bob
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Soak it and all around it with Kroil.
View Quote
This , kroil is God's gift to us !!
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
barrel nut came off the barrel just wont come out of the upper
View Quote
If the nut is off, I would mount the upper in a vice fixture and then insert an appropriately sized dowel rod into the upper from the back and smack it with a hammer or mallet to try and push out the barrel.  The wooden dowel will get chewed up by the locking lugs, but it shouldn't harm the parts.  Use the penetrating oil as well to help soften things up a bit.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top