Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2018 12:38:54 PM EDT
I have a 18 inch Hanson 223W barrel, Ballistic Advantage Upper with a G MK13. I built a Grey Ghost lower with G SSA/E trigger.
The upper will be topped by a Vortex Strike Eagle with a Larue LT-204 mount and bobro front/rear BUIS. I am stuck on which stock/buffer combo to complete the rifle. Any advice will be appreciated. Carbine or full stock? I usually go with Magpul or Larue stocks. Is there a good choice for reduced recoil? Ect.?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
for my 18" rifle, I use:
--a Magpul ACS stock,
--a mil-spec buffer tube,
--an H1 buffer, and
--a Tubb flatwire spring.

Makes it the smoothest-shooting AR I own.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:06:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Got a magpul UBR 2.0 on my 18". I use an empty carbine buffer, reduce power buffer spring, lightweight bcg and agb for smoothest shooting. Any stock with weight helps with recoil, and typically longer systems like the Vltor A5 or rifle length will reduce recoil as well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:41:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a firm believer in the A5 system. Though it can be hard to find components. I generally have to back order everything. The A5 system tube is the same size as an AR10 carbine tube, and uses a standard rifle spring. So, you can get parts that way sometimes. But it really seems to smooth things out to me. It also seems to run great with just about any upper combo from short barreled carbine gas to 20in rifle gas.

I get equal results from a fixed stock using a rifle buffer and spring. This is all subjective though.

It is personal preference if you want a collapsible stock or not.

The Magpul UBR stock can use either A5 or regular carbine buffers with an included spacer. The stock was just too heavy for my recce style carbine. I plan to use it again whenever I build a precision oriented rifle. It is a very nice stock, just heavy. But weight will help reduce felt recoil.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Researching the A5, I found this from Bravo Company. Thoughts? It comes with an A5H0 buffer.
I could move up to an A5H1 or A5H2 buffer. Then, I could add the EMOD stock or any other stock, correct?

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Buffer-System-A5-Kit-p/bcm-intermediate-shk.htm
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Weight/Price not an issue?

Magpul PRS with a JPS SCS

Otherwise, price and exact usage will play a good role in this. An adjustable gas block is going to play a bigger role than your buffer system when it comes to felt recoil. A captured spring system such as the JP or Armaspec will cut down on the noise. If you really do want to smooth things out further, then go rifle length.

For getting an exceptionally soft shooting gun, look to what 3 gunners and competition shooters run - low mass BCG's and lightweight buffer/spring systems off an adjustable gas system that's putting back only as much as is needed to run the bolt. On the other end, for a fighting rifle, I'd want standard or slightly increased mass with something like a Geissele Super 42 or Vltor A5 system running off a Geissele gas block that's a bit over-gassed.

Both are opposite ends of the spectrum, but both will do their job very well. What you'll be using the gun for makes a fair bit of difference in what a good buffer setup will be.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Researching the A5, I found this from Bravo Company. Thoughts? It comes with an A5H0 buffer.
I could move up to an A5H1 or A5H2 buffer. Then, I could add the EMOD stock or any other stock, correct?

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Buffer-System-A5-Kit-p/bcm-intermediate-shk.htm
View Quote
Yup that is correct. Idk why they use that buffer when the a5h2 is the standard buffer. It weighs the same, or very close, to a rifle buffer. I have only used the a5h2 buffer.

Some stocks won't be able to collapse all the way down since the receiver extension is longer, but there is nothing stopping any non commercial sized stock from working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top