Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2018 8:27:03 AM EDT
Getting old! Can't spot hits on paper any more at distance, even using low power scope, so who can recommend a good angled spotting scope -- but can't afford a really good one so looking for best value under $350. -- does a good one exist?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Konus is pretty popular.  They have 45 degree angled eyepieces.

They are not the best but within their price range they are well regarded by the high power shooting community.

Konus Spotting Scope at Optics Planet - 20-60X 80 mm for $229.

Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I have that exact spotting scope and it is outstanding for the price.  I paid around $180-$185 for mine from Optics Planet.  Start a chat with them and ask them to match a price of $180.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:21:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Was in the same position not long ago. Opted for a Celestron C90. It was purchased (as a gift for me) from Optics Planet. Which was before they joined the “common sense” crowd. It was on sale for like $135 or something. Crazy good buy. Even at their normal $160-ish price.

Came with a Tripod, Carrying Case, and 2 Eyepieces (they only advertise 1 as coming with it). It’s more of a hybrid between a telescope and spotting scope. Not the most compact of spotters, but isn’t cumbersome to transport back and forth to the range. It’s also not the most rugged option out there. But mine has already survived a “toppling” at home; thanks to an inquisitive toddler.

The glass is crystal clear. Contrast and sharpness are excellent. The 90mm objective really brings in a lot of light. Focus adjustment is very fine. Eye relief is awesome (better than most spotters on the market).

The tripod isn’t great. But it is more than serviceable. I think it extends to like 6 feet or something. But folds up (relatively) compact. Think camera style.

For the out of the box setup, it’s an awesome scope. I think the two eyepieces give you the ability to run it at 40x and 100x. What’s reallly nice is the aftermarket versatility. It takes a standard telescope eyepiece, so there’s really no limit to the different magnifications you can run. Plus, you could pick up a Barlow to really maximize the versatility.

A Barlow is basically a component that you attach to the eyepiece which alters the magnification. Most come in 2x. But, I found an option that does 1.5x and 2x. So, with my two eyepieces, that gives me magnifications at 40x, 60x, 80x, 100x, 150x, and 200x! And I think the Barlow was only $30. What’s really cool about Barlows is that they alter the magnification WITHOUT really reducing eye relief. Which can become an issue on the high-end of magnification.

The final bonus is that, because it’s a hybrid telescope/spotter, there is a robust community of users. From birders to stargazers. The advantage to that is all of the tips, tricks and mods that are discussed. For instance, adding a piece of flocking paper to the baffle tube really takes the already solid contrast to a whole new level. The cost for that mod? About $2. Level of difficulty? Below novice. Permanent modification? Nope!

Now, by all accounts the Konus mentioned is also a great value. But, if i were to do it again, I’d still get the Celestron. I really don’t think any other option can compare for $150. And I firmly believe it can hold its own, and even beat options at 3-4x the price.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not get the Harbor Freight one. It sucks ass.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 2:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The final bonus is that, because it’s a hybrid telescope/spotter...
View Quote
It is truly amazing what you can see through a spotting scope once pointed skyward.

Be careful, do your research.  Check the warranty.  Check for minimum focusing distance.  Check for water-tightness.  Spotting scopes tend to be fog proof, telescopes,... not so much.

I used a Celestron reflector telescope as a spotting scope one time.  It worked just fine.  It looked more fragile.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 5:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It is truly amazing what you can see through a spotting scope once pointed skyward.

Be careful, do your research.  Check the warranty.  Check for minimum focusing distance.  Check for water-tightness.  Spotting scopes tend to be fog proof, telescopes,... not so much.

I used a Celestron reflector telescope as a spotting scope one time.  It worked just fine.  It looked more fragile.
View Quote
Oh I’m sure it’s more fragile than a traditional spotting scope that’s primarily designed for hunting/shooting. While it’s solidly constructed, it feel and presents a little more like a precision instrument.

The main “con” I chose to accept is that it’s not technically waterproof. More adverse conditions might push the limits of its water resistance. Given my intended use, I’m OK with that. I won’t be dragging it around in the field or out on hunts. So, I was willing to give up a little in the waterproof department in exchange for its excellent image quality; and other features previously mentioned.

The C90 does come with a no fault, limited lifetime. Hard to say for certain what that means until it’s needed. But most indications when I was researching options pointed to Celestron being pretty solid with customer service.

While I refer to it as a “hybrid”, it is sold, marketed, and looks like a spotting scope. Minimum focus is something like 10-15 feet. So, no concerns with spotting at the range. For celestial viewing, it’ll work, but not with the same capability as a true telescope. More for the moon and planets, rather than stars and smaller objects. Using it to check out the moon is pretty freaking cool. Will be a lot of fun when son is a little older!

I really need to do a full follow-up review to the thread I’d started when trying to pick a scope. I’ve got a mount for my phone, and will make sure to include some pics when I write up the more detailed report.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been using an Unertyl since 1984. Long eye relief and 24x. Highly regarded, almost impossible to find and very expensive.

If I were buying new nowadays I would look at Vortex and Kowa. I have very little faith in cheap optics. Times have changed and the cheap ones are probably better today than they have ever been.

I would not consider any scope that didn't feature an angled eye piece and extended eye relief. Virtually everyone uses glasses when shooting firearms, the extended eye relief makes for more clearance when using them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Needed to be able to see my 556 hits at 500yds. and bought a Redfield 20x60 angled spotter at Cabela's for $350.00 and like it real well. I believe  it is a subsidiary of Leupold in Beaverton, Oregon. It has worked out real nice and the glass is very clear and gives a decent FOV. 10RING
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Lighting conditions and mirage makes it virtually impossible to see 5.56mm hits in a black bullseye at 500 yards. Even .30 is invisible except under very rare occasions.

On steel or in a tournament that has pit pullers, then no problem.

Even the very best scopes costing well over $2000 can't do that unless the sun is behind the target. Whenever possible rifle ranges are designed to face north to improve light when shooting in the northern hemisphere. Many ranges and private property have to deal with the land as it lays.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Konus 20-60x100.  It is clear enough that .22 holes are visible @ 600 yards with perfect conditions, which almost never happen.

The downside is that it is very heavy and requires a good tripod.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in the same boat as you, needed to upgrade from my old one and looked around for awhile.

ENded up caving and spending 450 to grab a Bushnell T series 14-45 x 60 on sale for something like 450ish. Clear as day. I can see holes at 500
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I could not find the eye relief specs for that Konus but I believe it is as good as any.

My Kowa zoom eyepiece, set to 25X, has almost the same eye relief as the LER eyepiece.

Celestron does have good customer service.  I know a few who have used it.  They were pleased.

P.S. Walmart has that Konus for $200.

Here's a picture of the Celestron C-90 referred to above.  You can remove the targeting optic and just use the angled eyepiece.  It has 20 mm eye relief.

TODAY - $205 including free same day shipping.  30 day return policy, in case you are not satisfied.

Link to Celestron scope

Link Posted: 4/6/2018 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I could not find the eye relief specs for that Konus but I believe it is as good as any.

My Kowa zoom eyepiece, set to 25X, has almost the same eye relief as the LER eyepiece.

Celestron does have good customer service.  I know a few who have used it.  They were pleased.

P.S. Walmart has that Konus for $200.

Here's a picture of the Celestron C-90 referred to above.  You can remove the targeting optic and just use the angled eyepiece.  It has 20 mm eye relief.

TODAY - $205 including free same day shipping.  30 day return policy, in case you are not satisfied.

Link to Celestron scope

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1935/4371/products/52268_C90_Mak_1_570x380.jpg?v=1511997348
View Quote
I don’t currently use the targeting optic very much. I think it’s 8x, and I like the idea in principle. Use it to get on target. Kind of like bore-sighting to get on paper. Then switch to the actual scope to dial-in and fine tune from there. For the most part, I don’t have issues getting on target when just using the scope. Depending upon the conditions and distance. I’ll often start by using my lowest magnification eyepiece (40x) to get lined up. Then will switch to a high mag (if necessary). Functionally, pretty much the same as many do when using a variable power spotter.

I can attest the eye relief is VERY forgiving. Doing a quick search, the 20mm the C90 offers is better than Vortex Razors. It’s not to say that Vortex doesn’t make an excellent spotter. My point is to illustrate that the C90 specs are noteworthy. Especially for the price.

Now, using the 100x eyepiece definitely reduces the eye relief (like with any scope). But for that high of magnification, the Celestron is quite useable. Plus, if you go with a Barlow to up the magnification, the eye relief remains almost unchanged. So the 40x run with a Barlow jumps to 80x, and stays at 20mm of eye relief. In fact, depending on the specific brand/model selected, eye relief can actually increase slightly when using a Barlow.

FWIW, I think it’s important to note that Celestron is not just some random off-brand. It may not be all that well known in the shooting community. But, it’s a very well known in the birding and stargazing circles. They’ve been putting together optics for decades, and certainly know what they’re doing in that arena.

Even if the C90 might not be checking all one’s boxes, Celestron does make a number of spotting scopes that are designed like those brands shooters are used to (Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold, etc.).
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 1:29:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Even if the C90 might not be checking all one’s boxes, Celestron does make a number of spotting scopes that are designed like those brands shooters are used to (Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold, etc.).
View Quote
The only issue I see with the Celestron is the 40X minimum magnification.  That's high and it usually comes with reduced field of view.  A shooter probably wants a lower minimum.  It helps with reading mirage and affords a better/wider view of the grass, wind flags, trees and other wind tells.

Yes, Celestron is well known brand and has been around a long time (~ 1970).  The company is local to me here, as is Kowa.

They also have a C-70 that is physically smaller, has a 25-75X zoom eyepiece.  Sometimes compactness helps.  MSRP = $120

They also have a full range of refractor spotting scopes that are decent.  I've used one of those, too.  <-- Not schilling for anyone, just reporting.

Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The only issue I see with the Celestron is the 40X minimum magnification.  That's high and it usually comes with reduced field of view.  A shooter probably wants a lower minimum.  It helps with reading mirage and affords a better/wider view of the grass, wind flags, trees and other wind tells.

Yes, Celestron is well known brand and has been around a long time (~ 1970).  The company is local to me here, as is Kowa.

They also have a C-70 that is physically smaller, has a 25-75X zoom eyepiece.  Sometimes compactness helps.  MSRP = $120

They also have a full range of refractor spotting scopes that are decent.  I've used one of those, too.  <-- Not schilling for anyone, just reporting.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1935/4371/products/52238_C70_Mini_Mak_1_570x380.jpg?v=1511997390
View Quote
Initially, the C70 was at the top of my list when researching budget spotting scopes. Really, it’s what led me to checking out the C90. I settled on the latter, as I felt the added expense was worth it for the better specs and versatility. Judging from the quality, fit and finish of the C90, I’m sure the C70 is a great buy as well.

I get what you’re saying about the minimum 40x. Out of the box that’s true. But, given the versatility, a new eyepiece can provide the end user with any magnification they desire. It is an added expense. But, it’s not a “necessity”, and also doesn’t have to be a very large expense.

I’ve not gone “hands on” with their traditional refractor spotters, but have seen plenty of favorable reviews/reports. I tried to go back and find a video of this guy who’d done a side-by-side between a Celestron Trailseeker and Vortex Razor. He used a digiscope to take stills and video with each. Turns out he deleted it off YT for some reason

I do remember that the image quality of the Celestron looked every bit as good as the Vortex. Even better in some instances. But, that could have been due to the slight difference in magnification at the high end (67x vs 65x). I also acknowledge that things may translate differently in person than on photo or video. Still, at 1/4 the price, the Trailseeker really seemed to hold its own.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]
We have not heard back from the OP.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top