User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 123
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By j-dubya1:

An early mk11 with the rail Larue made for them and collapsible stock that received the same EMC barrel conversion as the BR that Gaston did.
View Quote

Pics bru.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By S-1:

It is also a .300BO with a Noveske barrel. Damian said that the Noveske outperformed everything that they were testing at the time.

Ironically, DEVGRU ditched the HK416 and is now issuing Noveske carbines in 5.56 and .300BO in the last year.
View Quote

So both the cool-guy outfits dumped the 416 eh. Kinda interesting.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

@lancecriminal86

Aren't these the rings for the Horrigan build? Or were those 30mm?
View Quote

No, those are standard height. Close, but still not the ones. They sit somewhere around 1.2-1.3" height while Horrigans were much taller as they had his scope almost perfectly in line with an older clip-on thermal known to sit at about a 1.5" height over rail.

And if that's not the same set I had seen last year sometime then it simply confirms that as I said before, the old KAC rings are going for $600+ and they're not even the supposed unicorn rings I seek. I'd have to completely redo my build if those ever somehow landed in my lap, get a Vero MRE, 2000-2003 or so M4A1 barrel, and spring for a PEQ-2 to do the rings justice at that point. Thus, the project still sits in limbo while I decide. The Museum level SPR build is near completion to go with the OG Holland upper, I'm satisfied with what I got. Maybe the MRE mystique wore off a bit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Originally Posted By S-1:

It is also a .300BO with a Noveske barrel. Damian said that the Noveske outperformed everything that they were testing at the time.

Ironically, DEVGRU ditched the HK416 and is now issuing Noveske carbines in 5.56 and .300BO in the last year.

I don't know about CAG, but I know that they were testing the SR16 to replace the HK.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to build the OG SEAL Recce that's on the first page, but I really don't want to use a Leupold. Is a NF 2.5-10x32 correct for this type of recce? Or should I build some other variant to use the scope on? What kind of rings would be correct for the x32 scope? Which gas block for the Lilja barrel?

Here's the parts I'm working with for a build:

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:55:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j-dubya1] [#6]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
I'd like to build the OG SEAL Recce that's on the first page, but I really don't want to use a Leupold. Is a NF 2.5-10x32 correct for this type of recce? Or should I build some other variant to use the scope on? What kind of rings would be correct for the x32 scope? Which gas block for the Lilja barrel?

https://i.imgur.com/rrxHUYx.jpg
View Quote

I have never been able to figure out for certain what gas block would have been used.  The Knight’s gas block existed before the mk12 program, and perhaps the mk12 block did too as it was Crane built.  But the Knight’s block won’t fit under the rail, and I wouldn’t want to use the mk12 block either, if it even fits at all.  I can’t remember.  But Knight’s was about the only one supplying stuff for these rifles back then, even before the era of rifles this thread is based on.  The true OG Recce rifles (late 90’s) out of Dam Neck had the medium RAS rails and the weird version of the OPS 3rd suppressor and Leupold 10x.  So a gas block that fit under the rail existed in some way, made by somebody.  If Wes at MSTN could still recall it, he would be the man to speak to on this.

Edit - another potential theory is that since coming up through 90’s, the ‘sniper m4’ would have had the FSB...maybe they just shaved them at the very beginning...?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]

And NF ultralight or unimount would be the most prevalent optics mounts.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:15:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMCSGT0331] [#8]

I have never been able to figure out for certain what gas block would have been used.  The Knight's gas block existed before the mk12 program, and perhaps the mk12 block did too as it was Crane built.  But the Knight's block won't fit under the rail, and I wouldn't want to use the mk12 block either, if it even fits at all.  I can't remember.  But Knight's was about the only one supplying stuff for these rifles back then, even before the era of rifles this thread is based on.  The true OG Recce rifles (late 90's) out of Dam Neck had the medium RAS rails and the weird version of the OPS 3rd suppressor and Leupold 10x.  So a gas block that fit under the rail existed in some way, made by somebody.  If Wes at MSTN could still recall it, he would be the man to speak to on this.

Edit - another potential theory is that since coming up through 90's, the 'sniper m4' would have had the FSB...maybe they just shaved them at the very beginning...?
View Quote

Thanks for the info! The Lilja barrel is milled flat on the bottom of the barrel opposite of the gas port, so seeing that threw me a curveball.

Originally Posted By gaston4:
https://i.imgur.com/pL5jusu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YKUixMJ.jpg

View Quote

Great pics! I think I have one of those RULR mounts in a drawer, will have to dig it out and possibly use on this build. Do you know what height those rings/mounts are? I can't tell by looking at them.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By gaston4:
https://i.imgur.com/pL5jusu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YKUixMJ.jpg

View Quote

I guess I missed those quintessential OG Recce photos when I did the photo dump in the OP.

Just updated it!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#10]

I have never been able to figure out for certain what gas block would have been used.  The Knight's gas block existed before the mk12 program, and perhaps the mk12 block did too as it was Crane built.  But the Knight's block won't fit under the rail, and I wouldn't want to use the mk12 block either, if it even fits at all.  I can't remember.  But Knight's was about the only one supplying stuff for these rifles back then, even before the era of rifles this thread is based on.  The true OG Recce rifles (late 90's) out of Dam Neck had the medium RAS rails and the weird version of the OPS 3rd suppressor and Leupold 10x.  So a gas block that fit under the rail existed in some way, made by somebody.  If Wes at MSTN could still recall it, he would be the man to speak to on this.

Edit - another potential theory is that since coming up through 90's, the 'sniper m4' would have had the FSB...maybe they just shaved them at the very beginning...?
View Quote

I'll bet they just shaved the FSB and slid the rail over. Very simple, very cost-effective.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#11]

I guess I missed those quintessential OG Recce photos when I did the photo dump in the OP.

Just updated it!
View Quote

Well done Eyekahn. You painting your rifle really lit a fire in this thread and pushed some awesome info out!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:17:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#12]

View Quote

It looks like the x32 versions just used some sort of LPGB. I'd choose whichever "regular" looking LPGB you like and roll with it.

You could ask @dobs013 or @mtxtwelve which they used. They both had perfect clones of that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Ive been using CMMG low-pro blocks for a few years on my builds. They're great, very small, unbranded.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Thanks for the info! The Lilja barrel is milled flat on the bottom of the barrel opposite of the gas port, so seeing that threw me a curveball.

Great pics! I think I have one of those RULR mounts in a drawer, will have to dig it out and possibly use on this build. Do you know what height those rings/mounts are? I can't tell by looking at them.

View Quote

I believe I misspoke last night regarding the Knight’s gas block.  I don’t know what I was thinking of, but my original post about them not fitting is incorrect.  The Knight’s gas block IS the gas block you want, and was likely the original gas block used when the need arose for a low profile block to fit under the new idea of the FF RAS.  What got me back peddling was recalling the old Dam Neck purchase order for a whole bunch of Knight’s 5.56 parts back in the late 90’s.  Someone has posted that here before.  I went down to play with parts this morning and can’t fin my KAC block, but did put a Crane block on that confirmed it’s too tight for comfort.  

USMCSGT0331 I’m emailing you a couple of photos of the crane block filament with RAS.  Unfortunately I have no way to upload them here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:57:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#15]

View Quote

Lilja does the milled flat 180 degrees from the gas port on all their "drop in" AR barrels, including the NSWC Crane spec Recce.  Its their way to properly index and secure the set screw gas block without dimpling the barrel.

I'm not into exact cloning, but got the barrel for its accuracy.  Its spooky accurate - easily sub 1/2 MOA capable.  I'll never be good enough behind the trigger to exact its full accuracy.  I've shot some five shot groups down in the .3s with 77 OTM Berger handloads.  Groups in the .4s are boringly routine from bench or Harris and rear bag. It's a laser.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone have experience with using a RULR mount?

I’m trying to mount mine to a set of A110s I picked up and I can’t get it to work.

On one side of the mount the screws slip in fine and are able to attach to the bottom ring. On the other side the screws won’t slip into the mount and once I tap them in there a bit they end up slightly crooked.

Are there other screws I’m supposed to be using besides the ones supplied with the A110? Any other solutions?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Soberglitch:
Anyone have experience with using a RULR mount?

I’m trying to mount mine to a set of A110s I picked up and I can’t get it to work.

On one side of the mount the screws slip in fine and are able to attach to the bottom ring. On the other side the screws won’t slip into the mount and once I tap them in there a bit they end up slightly crooked.

Are there other screws I’m supposed to be using besides the ones supplied with the A110? Any other solutions?
View Quote

Nah man I had like 4 of them and never had that issue. are you tightening one side down before trying to screw in the other side? If you are, just go slowly in a criss cross pattern.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Soberglitch] [#18]
Originally Posted By cherokeefan03:

Nah man I had like 4 of them and never had that issue. are you tightening one side down before trying to screw in the other side? If you are, just go slowly in a criss cross pattern.
View Quote

Edit: I think the issue was the A110s I got. Previous owner had no issues with the RULR on his Unimount so I’m just going to return and exchange my rings and see if that fixes it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]
maybe you just got a bad one man, might have to have someone widen the holes a bit
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:08:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#20]
Yo @EyeKahn

What’s the Part # on that 30mm Burris Doctor Mount..?? All I see is the one for a FastFire
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:
Yo @EyeKahn

What’s the Part # on that 30mm Burris Doctor Mount..?? All I see is the one for a FastFire
View Quote

Fast fire has the same base as the Docter.

It's a great little mount.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:
Yo @EyeKahn

Thanks Brother.. Guess I’ll have to snatch 2 lol.. Happy New Years
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmdexe] [#23]
Quick scope questions for you gurus, posted this in the mk12 thread as well:

Anyone know offhand what the difference between the Nightforce recon army-spec and recon nav-spec 2.5-10x24 scopes was?

What were the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 mil-spec marked used on? Early Navy recce rifles?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JonnyMoses:

Anyone know offhand what the difference between the Nightforce recon army-spec and recon nav-spec 2.5-10x24 scopes was?

What were the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 mil-spec marked used on? Early Navy recce rifles?
View Quote

From what I've gathered they're really just contracts varying on dates and end users
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Nav-Spec had finer adjustments for Elevation/Windage, when compared to the Army-Spec.

Nav-Spec had .25 Moa adjustments Elevation/Windage.
Army Spec had 1 Moa Elevation / 1/2 Moa Windage.  (Going from memory on this one)
Both had Mil-dot reticle with NVD capable settings.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I've seen two Army-Specs x24s with moa/mil
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Nav-Spec had finer adjustments for Elevation/Windage, when compared to the Army-Spec.

Army Spec had 1 Moa Elevation / 1/2 Moa Windage.  (Going from memory on this one)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

This is correct, the elevation turret adjustments are different between the 2 scopes:

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:55:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Soberglitch] [#28]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Soberglitch:
Roast my first attempt at a Recce setup
View Quote

What is this a clone of?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:39:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Soberglitch] [#30]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

What is this a clone of?
View Quote

tyfys
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks great! I'm also building a recce clone, here's my progress so far:

I just need the experts on here to verify the correct rings for the 12-42x56 milspec scope, but I'm pretty much in the home stretch!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#33]

https://i.imgur.com/FqyHkgj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/16sY13G.jpg

I just need the experts on here to verify the correct rings for the 12-42x56 milspec scope, but I'm pretty much in the home stretch!
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:01:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#34]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#36]
The loosest clone in the history of clones is becoming clone autists?  Idontbelieveit.jpeg
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#37]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
The loosest clone in the history of clones is becoming clone autists?  Idontbelieveit.jpeg
View Quote

Guess it happens to them all. Nothing kills a boner faster than discussing safety selector shapes or forge codes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Guess it happens to them all. Nothing kills a boner faster than discussing safety selector shapes or forge codes.
View Quote

Ya.

I'm not gonna blast dudes who post up a non clone of what's listed in the OP and the one offs.  

If they spam the tread with it over and over, I'll let them know the deal.

The 42x NF on a CQBR with bayo is very comical.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Ya.

I'm not gonna blast dudes who post up a non clone of what's listed in the OP and the one offs.  

If they spam the tread with it over and over, I'll let them know the deal.

The 42x NF on a CQBR with bayo is very comical.
View Quote

Maybe he thought he was in the "mini-recce" thread
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#40]
So what twist have guys been using for their builds? I am looking to build an NSW Reece. I was gonna go with the Douglas SS from CLE but unsure what chamber cut and twist rate. Also what gas blocks?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By KCostigan:
So what twist have guys been using for their builds? I am looking to build an NSW Reece. I was gonna go with the Douglas SS from CLE but unsure what chamber cut and twist rate. Also what gas blocks?
View Quote

I ended up going with a Douglas SS from CLE with the Wylde chamber. 1/7 twist. I ordered it Sunday night from CLE, now the 3 or 4 week wait begins. Badger ordnance mk12 gas block since I like the little brown box it comes in with the NSN on it. Daniel defense makes the same gas block too.

Both my Mod H and Mod 1 have Douglas barrels that shoot great.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#42]
It fits under the RAS? I've seen mixed things in the thread. And they are sold out everywhere. I found a KAC low profile but not sure if it's clone correct.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

I ended up going with a Douglas SS from CLE with the Wylde chamber. 1/7 twist. I ordered it Sunday night from CLE, now the 3 or 4 week wait begins. Badger ordnance mk12 gas block since I like the little brown box it comes in with the NSN on it. Daniel defense makes the same gas block too.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Douglas is the way to go. Their Douglas with a Wylde chamber and 1/7 twist is a great barrel. Very fast for its length.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#44]
It fits under the RAS? I've seen mixed things in the thread. And they are sold out everywhere. I found a KAC low profile but not sure if it's clone correct.
View Quote

Don't beat yourself up over the block. Just get one that fits tight and is standard looking. I honestly have no idea what gas block is on mine ha.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Don't beat yourself up over the block. Just get one that fits tight and is standard looking. I honestly have no idea what gas block is on mine ha.
View Quote
Haha ok. Now I gotta find the AEMB and collar.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

I’ve always used this one from brownells. Looks exactly like a mk12 block. Costs $20 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:

I’ve always used this one from brownells. Looks exactly like a mk12 block. Costs $20 bucks.
View Quote

That does not look exactly like a MK12 block.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

View Quote

Although you are correct I rather not devolve this thread into what has happened into the other threads. When gas blocks, forge codes, selector shapes, paint etc become the topic of discussion and the origin of arguments on "clone correct", I'm out. I call it the 5 ft test. If you've got a flush fit AEM5 to KAC FF RAS and decked out in other GWOT approved gear, you know exactly what you are doing. I'm not going to ask nor do I want t see the underwear you have on.

Nobody asked my opinion but I'm already salty this morning so I sent it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:36:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#49]

Although you are correct I rather not devolve this thread into what has happened into the other threads. When gas blocks, forge codes, selector shapes, paint etc become the topic of discussion and the origin of arguments on "clone correct", I'm out. I call it the 5 ft test. If you've got a flush fit AEM5 to KAC FF RAS and decked out in other GWOT approved gear, you know exactly what you are doing. I'm not going to ask nor do I want t see the underwear you have on.

View All Quotes

That block doesn't look like a MK12 block but IDGAF what block people use on their builds in this thread.

As long as the block doesn't have a punisher logo on it or that it's not it's a skull with the gas tube coming out of the eye socket!

Content of the same gun in the same tripod on a different spot on the porch.

Just loaded up 1k 9mm and started prepping 1k 223. So should get out shooting on the 17th!

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Well maybe not exactly but it would take a keen eye to spot the difference. It would definitely pass the 5 foot test.
Brownells:
Attachment Attached File

Mk12:
Attachment Attached File
Page / 123
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top