User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 123
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:30:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JT505th] [#1]
Originally Posted By JT505th:
This looks like a S&B on an LT 101 Riser rail. Anyone know which rings are being used here? Thanks.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96790/fullsizeoutput_1802-1600534.jpg
View Quote

Delta Recce;
Spent months researching and sending emails to LT concerning the rings used on the Delta Recce rifle. Obvious the LT101 riser is used and pictured.
Can someone confirm which LT rings were used on this rifle and are they still available?

SEAL Recce;
Is the KAC FF Full Length rail used on the OG SEAL Recce -- the same rail used on the MK12 Mod 1?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

SEAL Recce;
Is the KAC FF Full Length rail used on the OG SEAL Recce -- the same rail used on the MK12 Mod 1?

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Delta Recce;
Spent months researching and sending emails to LT concerning the rings used on the Delta Recce rifle. Obvious the LT101 riser is used and pictured.
Can someone confirm which LT rings were used on this rifle and are they still available?

SEAL Recce;

Thank you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
This looks like a S&B on an LT 101 Riser rail. Anyone know which rings are being used here? Thanks.

Delta Recce;

SEAL Recce;

Thank you.

One thing to consider, MSG Horrigan was apparently the guy working with LaRue to come up with the 1.84" and 1.93" versions of the SPR mount, and those are seen on MREs with S&B Short Dots. I had considered getting a 1"/1.84" height since those do exist and running his optic on that with the assumption that perhaps he had switched to that before he was KIA in a raid. But honestly I spent so long chasing the whole ring situation and the KAC crowd's love of price wars and "I know what I gots" soured me to the whole thing. I have a set of same height Leupolds on there right now, it will probably stay that way and get broken down at some point and that Leupold repurposed. Just not worth it to me anymore.

Especially because I missed out on a set of what apparently were the right rings had I only asked a friend a little earlier. And apparently they're off on some rando old school build, nothing clone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 6:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JT505th] [#4]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
But honestly I spent so long chasing the whole ring situation and the KAC crowd's love of price wars and "I know what I gots" soured me to the whole thing.
I have a set of same height Leupolds on there right now, it will probably stay that way and get broken down at some point and that Leupold repurposed.
Just not worth it to me anymore. Especially because I missed out on a set of what apparently were the right rings had I only asked a friend a little earlier. And apparently they're off on some old school build, nothing clone.
View Quote

When you write, I read and listen.
I hear you concerning the 'spent so long chasing the whole ring situation'. Lost track of the number of emails sent asking for help, just a few minutes of time, anything, to answer a question I have - so I can share with others - and receive not even a reply. IF I could confirm the LT rings the build would be done. Nothing from LT and I've sent two more emails this past week. I did pick up the KAC Mk12 Mod 1 rail for the build. Thank you minion42.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Garage box finds...  NSW Recce parts

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]

What's up with the notch on the Sopmod? I assume it's for a reason, but what's its purpose?
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 6:31:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#7]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

What's up with the notch on the Sopmod? I assume it's for a reason, but what's its purpose?
View Quote

Glad you asked. I was curious. I'm guessing it's got something to do with sling management.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

Glad you asked. I was curious. I'm guessing it's got something to do with sling management.
View All Quotes

Indeed, the rear sling attachment set up a better way ala "The Burner"
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I recently picked up a Wilcox scope ring Rail top for the Raptor.  I understand it was used with some RECCE builds?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]

I hear you concerning the 'spent so long chasing the whole ring situation'. Lost track of the number of emails sent asking for help, just a few minutes of time, anything, to answer a question I have - so I can share with others - and receive not even a reply. IF I could confirm the LT rings the build would be done. Nothing from LT and I've sent two more emails this past week. I did pick up the KAC Mk12 Mod 1 rail for the build. Thank you minion42.
View All Quotes
But honestly I spent so long chasing the whole ring situation and the KAC crowd's love of price wars and "I know what I gots" soured me to the whole thing.
I have a set of same height Leupolds on there right now, it will probably stay that way and get broken down at some point and that Leupold repurposed.
Just not worth it to me anymore. Especially because I missed out on a set of what apparently were the right rings had I only asked a friend a little earlier. And apparently they're off on some old school build, nothing clone.

Do you have the pics you were trying to work off of? Even if I'm not building stuff I like to dig. I might be able to sort it out for you.

LaRue was pretty involved with SFOD's various bits in that 2004-2006 timeframe, what with MSG Horrigan actively working with them on what became the 1.93" SPR mount, their risers that are often seen with 551s, and I think their rings as well as you mentioned. I had scarfed up a bunch of MRE pics at one time trying to find this one that I never found again, and in the process found a bunch of different setups.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Edit to add;  14.5" Govt profile or SOCOM/SOPMOD profile barrels used on this upper?

View Quote

Okay it was this one, I can message the guy on Facebook maybe. He owns TCT Knives, I actually messaged him about Horrigan's rifle hoping he might remember. I think he has one or two other photos out there.

May be able to dig up an old version of the LaRue website or a catalog too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:32:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lancecriminal86] [#12]
@JT505th

He very well may have been running this same setup. Unfortunately a lot of his pics are really grainy and small so blowing them up didn't help very much. But, looking at some of the general shapes this may be the same. I'll try to ask him still. If the second image doesn't show I'll pull it down and rehost it.

EDIT:

I'm willing to bet those were LT-123 rings, or perhaps an older number. They look pretty tall and if you add the 1.28" height over rail to an LT-101 which is 5/8", you get about a 1.9" height, right almost smack where the 1.93" mounts that SFOD also used/developed specifically for clearing a PEQ-2 with a Short Dot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Do you have the pics you were trying to work off of? Even if I'm not building stuff I like to dig. I might be able to sort it out for you.

LaRue was pretty involved with SFOD's various bits in that 2004-2006 timeframe, what with MSG Horrigan actively working with them on what became the 1.93" SPR mount, their risers that are often seen with 551s, and I think their rings as well as you mentioned. I had scarfed up a bunch of MRE pics at one time trying to find this one that I never found again, and in the process found a bunch of different setups.
View Quote

You mind sending the lot to me? I'm thinking about a second MRE.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#14]

You mind sending the lot to me? I'm thinking about a second MRE.
View Quote

I uhhhh, need to find them and make sure I still have them lol.

I did lose a hard drive a while back, unfortunately not just clone pictures but a significant amount of family photos that I have not yet coughed up the $$$ to get recovered. I'll see what I can do.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#15]
@JT505th

He very well may have been running this same setup. Unfortunately a lot of his pics are really grainy and small so blowing them up didn't help very much. But, looking at some of the general shapes this may be the same. I'll try to ask him still. If the second image doesn't show I'll pull it down and rehost it.

https://eafairsoft.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/398234_332327980154671_1797554625_n.jpg

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53435337_2589819997725957_5615218054989348864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=5eMa2mrXeXEAX8fuWTJ&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=70f066f31ef6f08050b3d69621b4a30f&oe=5FA0E9CB

EDIT:

I'm willing to bet those were LT-123 rings, or perhaps an older number. They look pretty tall and if you add the 1.28" height over rail to an LT-101 which is 5/8", you get about a 1.9" height, right almost smack where the 1.93" mounts that SFOD also used/developed specifically for clearing a PEQ-2 with a Short Dot.
View Quote

WTH?  2006 Multicam top and DCU bottoms?  Never saw Multicams til 2009 or 2010, but then again, I am not real special either.
Nice LSO grip and N1.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#16]
@JT505th - I'm willing to bet those were LT-123 rings, or perhaps an older number. They look pretty tall and if you add the 1.28" height over rail to an LT-101 which is 5/8", you get about a 1.9" height, right almost smack where the 1.93" mounts that SFOD also used/developed specifically for clearing a PEQ-2 with a Short Dot.
View Quote

Purchased the 123's and the LT101. Received them yesterday. Have the Gen 2 (larger knobs) short dot in the pic but have yet to mount it up.
Have to finish the upper first. I'll keep you posted - and thanks again for your help.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rgb] [#17]
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By rgb:

https://i.imgur.com/zbUxWwt.jpg
View Quote

X24 in a uni looks so good.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:42:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rgb] [#19]

X24 in a uni looks so good.
View Quote

Would look even better with a wilcox mount
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:08:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbutcher] [#20]
Did CAG ever use a 249f on the MRE guns? Or were those only on navy rifles?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By rbutcher:
Did CAG ever use a 249f on the MRE guns? Or were those only on navy rifles?
View Quote

All the photos I've seen have had NT4s on the end, flash hiders or cans.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:52:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rbutcher] [#22]
I was worried about that, I have a spare 249f sitting here and was thinking about throwing it on my MRE build. But if I wasnt using the clone correct device, I would just put a warcomp on it so I could use my can. Decisions.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I have decided to move ahead with the project with a MSG. Horrigan type rifle after all. But before I get too deep in it I guess the rings seem to be the most difficult item to procure so I will start there.

Please forgive my ignorance on the matter of rings (and scopes) not really my forte:

Does any one have a picture or link of what the rings might be or look like? I know there is some debate out there as to exact type, but I am just going with the supposition that they are some form of Knights product?

Link Posted: 10/11/2020 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Teufelmann55:
I have decided to move ahead with the project with a MSG. Horrigan type rifle after all. But before I get too deep in it I guess the rings seem to be the most difficult item to procure so I will start there.

Please forgive my ignorance on the matter of rings (and scopes) not really my forte:

Does any one have a picture or link of what the rings might be or look like? I know there is some debate out there as to exact type, but I am just going with the supposition that they are some form of Knights product?

View Quote

I thought I replied to your PM. They're KAC rings for sure, they are taller than Standard ~1.2"/1.3" rings, and very well may be 1" diameter.

I don't believe the later Mk11 rings are the right ones, but here's the general shape. Last 2-3 sets of these I hunted folks didn't even want to talk about prices below $600.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Cool thanks for the pics. Now I have a general direction to work in  it sounds like I have my work cut out for me. But I like a good challenge.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By rgb:

https://i.imgur.com/8VyYunM.jpg

Would look even better with a wilcox mount
View Quote

Agreed. A uni and Wilcox/Docter with an x24 would be about as good as it gets. Clears the CH, perfect balance, and looks good!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 3:08:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#27]
Having a little fun in the Sun @ 100yd w/ the new paint job lol..

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:06:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eMc9001] [#28]
@Eyekahn

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:

https://i.postimg.cc/C5gM7sst/70-B56962-D9-B6-44-E5-988-A-7-B68-F36-A12-A1.jpg
View Quote

Nice!!! Looks like a good time!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#30]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:

https://i.postimg.cc/C5gM7sst/70-B56962-D9-B6-44-E5-988-A-7-B68-F36-A12-A1.jpg

It’s Alright I prefer the 200-500 meter silhouette range and I’ll be there next weekend
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
@Eyekahn

https://i.imgur.com/V5vK1Fn.jpg
View Quote

A MK12 mod H.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
@Eyekahn

https://i.imgur.com/V5vK1Fn.jpg
View Quote

There's still so much irony in those two guns. Holland like reaaaalllyyy did not like KAC and did his best to stay away from their stuff. And then someone goes and throws a couple freebie URXs on the guns he had built and that got sorta named after him.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:32:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maddy21] [#33]

There's still so much irony in those two guns. Holland like reaaaalllyyy did not like KAC and did his best to stay away from their stuff. And then someone goes and throws a couple freebie URXs on the guns he had built and that got sorta named after him.
View Quote

I have read that before, but missed the story with his beef with KAC?
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 3:32:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lancecriminal86] [#34]
Originally Posted By Maddy21:

View All Quotes

Allegedly stretches back to trying to get some old 5th grp SR-25s repaired or upgraded, KAC only wanted to do new guns or something and at the time buying new guns was right out of budget or purchasing authority. That's a major factor of what led to the SPR program, whose prototypes pretty well didn't use any KAC bits at all. Once the proof of concept stuff was accepted and production supported by Crane, ultimately they became a whole weapon system and did get issued with a KAC sling swivel/adapter for the Eagle slings, but at the time that was it. Everything else was PRI, ARMS, Versapod, etc.

Then as we know some of the issues with the early SPR handguards popped up and while that was being worked over "certain people at Crane" approached KAC to see about parts on hand to assemble the rest of the barrels and receivers they had on hand. That led to the Mod 1 being introduced, where they ditched the ARMS sleeve setup and that pissed off a lot of the Army guys because the #22 rings right on the receiver gave kind of shitty eye relief. So again AFAIK seeing KAC muscle their way back in and picking up more sweet contract money after not working with them on the SR-25s further rubbed salt in the wound.

So much later on, like 2007 or so, since Crane had divested from the entire Mk12 program and particularly refused to service the original SPR uppers, he scooped into unit funds to gin up the 16" SPR uppers and work the existing SPRs over. Again, avoiding KAC stuff. This also again pissed off a "certain someone" at Crane who considered them "his/their" guns. Also was some ire within the Group itself as these good idea fairy uppers were sent out in lieu of expected Mod 1s, but with nothing to take care of optics mounting as they didn't have Recce rails at the time, apparently. So you had guys last minute before a trip trying to overnight LaRue mounts and stuff. Eventually the Recce rails showed up and all was dandy, the Hollands were real shooters, plenty practical, and they could reuse whatever optics off old SPRs, Mk12s, personal purchase, etc.

All that said there was apparently personal beef against KAC for some of their practices at the time, and having a gun named after a guy show up with a KAC rail is to me, ironic and sad. I'm the one that found the pics on whatever garbage AR-15 Facebook group and I kind of wish I could but that shit back in the box.

**** It may also be noted that the whole SR-25/SPR program time happened pre-GWOT, so probably some very different business practices on KAC's part, but maybe not. I've long heard similar stories about SR-25s, Mk11s, and 110s where you have to send everything back to KAC for service, and the hasn't sat well with a number of the .mil guys I knew that used them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Allegedly stretches back to trying to get some old 5th grp SR-25s repaired or upgraded, KAC only wanted to do new guns or something and at the time buying new guns was right out of budget or purchasing authority. That's a major factor of what led to the SPR program, whose prototypes pretty well didn't use any KAC bits at all. Once the proof of concept stuff was accepted and production supported by Crane, ultimately they became a whole weapon system and did get issued with a KAC sling swivel/adapter for the Eagle slings, but at the time that was it. Everything else was PRI, ARMS, Versapod, etc.

Then as we know some of the issues with the early SPR handguards popped up and while that was being worked over "certain people at Crane" approached KAC to see about parts on hand to assemble the rest of the barrels and receivers they had on hand. That led to the Mod 1 being introduced, where they ditched the ARMS sleeve setup and that pissed off a lot of the Army guys because the #22 rings right on the receiver gave kind of shitty eye relief. So again AFAIK seeing KAC muscle their way back in and picking up more sweet contract money after not working with them on the SR-25s further rubbed salt in the wound.

So much later on, like 2007 or so, since Crane had divested from the entire Mk12 program and particularly refused to service the original SPR uppers, he scooped into unit funds to gin up the 16" SPR uppers and work the existing SPRs over. Again, avoiding KAC stuff. This also again pissed off a "certain someone" at Crane who considered them "his/their" guns. Also was some ire within the Group itself as these good idea fairy uppers were sent out in lieu of expected Mod 1s, but with nothing to take care of optics mounting as they didn't have Recce rails at the time, apparently. So you had guys last minute before a trip trying to overnight LaRue mounts and stuff. Eventually the Recce rails showed up and all was dandy, the Hollands were real shooters, plenty practical, and they could reuse whatever optics off old SPRs, Mk12s, personal purchase, etc.

All that said there was apparently personal beef against KAC for some of their practices at the time, and having a gun named after a guy show up with a KAC rail is to me, ironic and sad. I'm the one that found the pics on whatever garbage AR-15 Facebook group and I kind of wish I could but that shit back in the box.

**** It may also be noted that the whole SR-25/SPR program time happened pre-GWOT, so probably some very different business practices on KAC's part, but maybe not. I've long heard similar stories about SR-25s, Mk11s, and 110s where you have to send everything back to KAC for service, and the hasn't sat well with a number of the .mil guys I knew that used them.
View Quote

Cool history lesson, thanks for taking the time to write that out!
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Cool history lesson, thanks for taking the time to write that out!
View Quote

Agreed! Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 4:27:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By can-man:
I recently picked up a Wilcox scope ring Rail top for the Raptor.  I understand it was used with some RECCE builds?
View Quote

Can you post a pic?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 5:07:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#38]
The NSW never disappoints.

It's boringly accurate at 600.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#39]
The NSW never disappoints.

https://i.imgur.com/MSioth2.jpg

It's boringly accurate at 600.
View Quote

Literal perfection. I wish the atf would actually do something and approve my can lol
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By StinkPotJoe:

Literal perfection. I wish the atf would actually do something and approve my can lol
View Quote

How long are you in? My buddy just got an approval from June.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#41]

How long are you in? My buddy just got an approval from June.
View Quote

Check was cashed June 26th
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Check was cashed June 26th
View Quote

Should be close then hopefully.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:08:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Three0h8] [#43]
I have to find a brake in stock before then lol
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Back at it again.. 300-500 Meters

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone have a lead on a lilja barrel? I ordered a couple 4 months ago that they said would be done a month ago, Now they're saying December/January. I just missed one in the EE too lol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cherokeefan03:
Anyone have a lead on a lilja barrel? I ordered a couple 4 months ago that they said would be done a month ago, Now they're saying December/January. I just missed one in the EE too lol.
View Quote

Yep, shown as "out of stock" at the moment.  COVID really hurts small shops.  It's a family business.

Well worth the wait.  Not merely for clone-correct builds, but because of the spooky extreme accuracy.  My build is not clone correct.  May never get there, but have the barrel.  That barrel . . . man . . .  merits the best match ammo or match component handloads you can feed it.  If you can't get to sub 1/2 MOA, it will not be due to the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I have to find a brake in stock before then lol
View Quote

Bro I've been poking around looking for one for you, but I don't think I'm going to have any luck.

Ron is months behind.  Perhaps you should call him and beg.

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

Bro I've been poking around looking for one for you, but I don't think I'm going to have any luck.

Ron is months behind.  Perhaps you should call him and beg.

View Quote

Mstennes told me they have one. Waiting on pics and a price...then I can finally tighten everything down and continue waiting on the ATF
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 6:00:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jf22] [#49]
The current set-up is a good shooter for me but I have a few spare Colt uppers/lowers, NF x24, and other accessories that I can add if I were ever to get the bug to make this rifle more closely resemble some of the reference photos out there.

Painted parts came the way you see them.  Scope is MOA/MIL Dot, rail is Vero Beach/5.56 M4 marked.

The KAC sling mount in the photo of spare parts was on the rail but I switched it out for the QCD.

Early Crane SOPMOD stock and I threw in a helmet for those of you who are into helmets.

Best,
Joe

PS.  Not sure if my pictures will be showing up or only links..and lots of edits trying to get pics to show.

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#50]
that IBH tho
Page / 123
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top