Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 123
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

That's cool. They had just come out when I got mine and it only had one size. That being said...still wouldn't work with a Razor in a G.
View Quote
It worked with my PST II in a G mount and my Razor in a Badger C1 mount.

You can't use it directly centered under the turrets, but to one side or another it will clear. The flat spot on the bottom of both scopes is quite large, like the turrets on both scopes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't care if my optic is level to the gun.  Hell, I usually purposely move it slightly out of plane with the rifle since I tend to tilt rifles when I shoot.

My leveling procedure:
Shoulder rifle w/ scope loose
Turn scope to where it's level to my eye
Done
View Quote
Dosent it make dialing for wind/elevation more difficult?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WEK207:

You can't use it directly centered under the turrets, but to one side or another it will clear. The flat spot on the bottom of both scopes is quite large, like the turrets on both scopes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WEK207:

That's cool. They had just come out when I got mine and it only had one size. That being said...still wouldn't work with a Razor in a G.

Yeah, but it would be less than ideal.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ICU:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ICU:
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't care if my optic is level to the gun.  Hell, I usually purposely move it slightly out of plane with the rifle since I tend to tilt rifles when I shoot.

My leveling procedure:
Shoulder rifle w/ scope loose
Turn scope to where it's level to my eye
Done
No.

Reticle is still planar with the horizon when being shot.  The reticle doesn't give a shit how the bore is oriented since it's round
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]

No.

Reticle is still planar with the horizon when being shot.  The reticle doesn't give a shit how the bore is oriented since it's round
View Quote
That darn gravity only working in one direction Yeah, prob over thinking it... For me, I cant get the same exact cheek weld do to shooting position or gear(plates) riding up in certain/particular shooting positions. If is perfect vert & hori, I feel the margin of error will be minimal in all positions. Rather than perfect from zeroing & more significant error in varied positions.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly the reason I do it is because if the reticle is level with the rifle, I never see a level reticle and it drives me insane.  Adding a degree or two of rotation fixes that.

Drives my wife insane since I shoot lefty, and she shoots righty.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Scope should be level to your rifle. Rifle should be level to the earth.

Otherwise, your holds and dialing will not be correct. Your bore may be round but your scope only tracks up/down and left/right of center. It doesn’t account for being off axis.

Shooting large targets inside 300 and it’s not going to matter much. Small targets outside of that and you’ll wish everything was level.

Had a good day today with Utah.

Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:21:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#8]
I don't disagree, but in practice under 500yds it hasn't been an issue.

At 100yds, doing a box test I don't get a parallelogram
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#9]
I don't disagree, but in practice under 500yds it hasn't been an issue.

At 100yds, doing a box test I don't get a parallelogram
View Quote
As long as the windage line on your reticle is roughly parallel to the earth you’ll be good. Your rifle might be cocked sideways though.

That’s why if everything is level and your shooting bench or position isn’t level a swivel bipod is a must!

Heavy ass box.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
https://i.imgur.com/gdSxZ0U.jpg
View Quote
Pretty... Oh, so pretty!
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 11:46:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#11]
Eyekhan!  Finally got my rings installed on the right side...or should I say, installed with the nuts on the left side.  Much betta!

Link Posted: 11/5/2019 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
Eyekhan!  Finally got my rings installed on the right side...or should I say, installed with the nuts on the left side.  Much betta!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49018426176_0572ac85e2_b.jpg
View Quote
Definitely mo betta
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
Gotta have your nuts right.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
Still missing something...PAINT!
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ForestRegion:

Still missing something...PAINT!
View Quote
Also missing the AEM5 which just got approved yesterday after almost a year.    
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dobs013:

Yeah got all excited when I saw it then realized I’m using a mount
A smaller wedge is included for when you want to use it to level a scope on a mount.
Not to get too far off topic, but I leveled my Razor in the G mount with the small wedge. My G mount is 1.93" though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:15:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#17]

Also missing the AEM5 which just got approved yesterday after almost a year.    
View Quote
Congrats now go spray it and get it all carbon’d up!
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
That work area is entirely too clean.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Not to get too far off topic, but I leveled my Razor in the G mount with the small wedge. My G mount is 1.93" though.
View All Quotes

Yeah got all excited when I saw it then realized I’m using a mount
A smaller wedge is included for when you want to use it to level a scope on a mount.
If I had a small wedge, I might have be able to make something work. The mount is the 1.53 too, so it's pretty low and (as you know) the Razor is pretty fat.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Got another piece of the puzzle and I just secured a mil spec x32 as well....

https://i.imgur.com/PFJx0CY.jpg
View Quote
@Dobs013 who makes this?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:18:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#21]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

@Dobs013 who makes this?
View Quote
I honestly don’t know for sure. I picked it up on the ee from another member. It was made under contract for NSW and to my knowledge it was never released commercially. At least if it was, I’ve never seen it.

ETA - it was intended for use with the Insight/L3 RULR range finder. So I would say it’s very probable that it was made by Insight/L3.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]

I honestly don’t know for sure. I picked it up on the ee from another member. It was made under contract for NSW and to my knowledge it was never released commercially. At least if it was, I’ve never seen it.

ETA - it was intended for use with the Insight/L3 RULR range finder. So I would say it’s very probable that it was made by Insight/L3.
View Quote
That one-off and obscure shit is 🔥
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#23]

That one-off and obscure shit is 🔥
View Quote
The only part that sucks is paying for it
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#24]

The only part that sucks is paying for it
View Quote
Even harder when you're a cheapskate bly nature. I like quality stuff, but I don't like quality prices. My wife gets so embarrassed when we are in a store and I get sticker shock. Like it's a crime to not want to get bent over for boutique home decor.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Even harder when you're a cheapskate bly nature. I like quality stuff, but I don't like quality prices. My wife gets so embarrassed when we are in a store and I get sticker shock. Like it's a crime to not want to get bent over for boutique home decor.
View Quote
My clone builds are about the only things I’m not that way with...hahaha
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#26]
My wife acts like we're destitute and live paycheck to paycheck.  Far from it.  Splurging to her is spending $40 at a craft store.  Just gives me more fun money
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife acts like we're destitute and live paycheck to paycheck.  Far from it.  Splurging to her is spending $40 at a craft store.  Just gives me more fun money
View Quote
Mine is the same. Thank god it's not the opposite.

"My only fear is that when I die my wife will sell my gun stuff for what I told her they cost."
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I've only been scolded once, though. I bought a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25 when they first came out for my Aero M5 I'd just finished and said I was going to sell it and try to find a NF x24 or x32. Said if I wasn't planning on using it I shouldn't have built/bought it in the first place. I guess there is some wisdom to that

But that was before I was clone life initiated.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
It was made by Wilcox.  I bought one directly from them a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:08:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#30]
Originally Posted By usnguns:

It was made by Wilcox.  I bought one directly from them a few years back.
View Quote
Well dead wrong on that one....haha. @usnguns Thanks for the info and do you know if they are still made?

@CMCctx

48301P02 RULR Mount for NightForc

I found the original contract for the A/I mount variant and it’s dated 2009. Not sure if both contracts were awarded in conjunction with one another but it ball park dates the rifle I cloned. It’s way later than I originally was thinking.

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
That's why you are far from it. God bless the frugal wives of Arfcom!!!
Mine wanted to buy me a little Christmas tree for my office from the lobby of hobbies, but told me she didn't because, "it was fiteen...dollars! FIFTEEN!!!"
I'm thinking, dang how much is an AEMB/collar kit again?
We're still house poor though. If I want something new I have to sell some old things. We're selling the house in the spring and downsizing Then maybe I can contribute to this thread more lol

If my wife was a cloner she'd buy an M7 bayonet knife and call it quits.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Well dead wrong on that one....haha. @usnguns Thanks for the info and do you know if they are still made?

@CMCctx
https://i.imgur.com/aYOheKD.jpg

48301P02 RULR Mount for NightForc

I found the original contract for the A/I mount variant and it’s dated 2009. Not sure if both contracts were awarded but n conjunction with one another but it ball park dates the rifle I cloned. It’s way later than I originally was thinking.

https://i.imgur.com/WRYpLac.jpg
View Quote
Quality of the photo makes it seem old AF. Somebody prolly took it with an old flip phone or something. Atlas didn’t come out til 2009-2010 so makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Closest I can find is the NF ruggedized accessory platform or Badger RULR/Raptar mount
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:24:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boltcatch] [#34]
That Wilcox part shown above looks different, with one notch in the rail.

The other one looks like this:

http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=321

Vaguely related, I'm trying out the piggyback RDS thing on the cheap with a PRI 30mm RMR mount and one of the Holosun 507 variants.   I'm not going for clone correct so I'm not going to drop clone part level cash when I can find non-clone parts.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=321

http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/image/cache/catalog/Products/Rail%20Systems%20and%20Accessories/10011-1296x864.jpg

Vaguely related, I'm trying out the piggyback RDS thing on the cheap with a PRI 30mm RMR mount and one of the Holosun 507 variants.   I'm not going for clone correct so I'm not going to drop clone part level cash when I can find non-clone parts.
View Quote
I figured he extra slot was just an updated version. They look identical otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#36]
what height scope rings ?

Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
Scope should be level to your rifle. Rifle should be level to the earth.

Otherwise, your holds and dialing will not be correct. Your bore may be round but your scope only tracks up/down and left/right of center. It doesn’t account for being off axis.

Shooting large targets inside 300 and it’s not going to matter much. Small targets outside of that and you’ll wish everything was level.

Had a good day today with Utah.

https://i.imgur.com/E5GJAQ3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2GaUYIj.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
what height scope rings ?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 7:54:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#38]

http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/image/cache/catalog/Products/Rail%20Systems%20and%20Accessories/10011-1296x864.jpg

View Quote
Sweet! Thanks for dropping that! I just grabbed another one for good measure.

ETA- Tracking received from DI, so the are confirmed to still have some!

And pic thread....

Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Sweet! Thanks for dropping that! I just grabbed another one for good measure.

ETA- Tracking received from DI, so the are confirmed to still have some!

And pic thread....

https://i.imgur.com/TpQVQee.jpg
View Quote
Looks like I can go ahead and order! I dropped them an email to see if they were actually in stock.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Looks like I can go ahead and order! I dropped them an email to see if they were actually in stock.
View Quote
Yeah I thought about doing that then just said f it, it’s $35, if they charge me and they actually don’t have it I can just get refunded.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Yeah I thought about doing that then just said f it, it’s $35, if they charge me and they actually don’t have it I can just get refunded.
View Quote
Bought two. One for my A203s and maybe that will force my hand down the road to get some A110s. LaRue mounts are slowly starting to make their way into parts boxes, I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:14:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boltcatch] [#42]
I came across the part a couple of months ago during an intensive search for RDS mounts.    Other thing I found is that it looks like PRI most likely makes Trijicon's scope accessory mounts, for which Trijicon charges 2x as much.  

LaRue mounts are slowly starting to make their way into parts boxes, I'm afraid.
View Quote
I like LaRue mounts as much as the next guy but the NF rings and Unimounts are just about perfect for this, even without taking clone parts into consideration.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I came across the part a couple of months ago during an intensive search for RDS mounts.    Other thing I found is that it looks like PRI most likely makes Trijicon's scope accessory mounts, for which Trijicon charges 2x as much.  

I like LaRue mounts as much as the next guy but the NF rings and Unimounts are just about perfect for this, even without taking clone parts into consideration.
View Quote
I'm starting to wise up. The return to zero is pretty great with my L mounts, but I have only tested it to do just that: test it. I have never had the actual need to take it off and put it back on. It's a pretty useless feature for me. The firearms industry is smart enough to realize that we are willing to just build a whole new rig to fill a specific need. As proven by me buying two DI mounts with just one set of rings
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Black CTR came in yesterday, so all that’s left is ordering the sling. Does anyone want to venture a guess as to what rear sight was on the issued weapon or if there was even a rear sight on there? The image quality is so shitty I can’t tell...

Link Posted: 11/10/2019 9:39:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jf22] [#45]
Hi guys,

Hats off to you all for some great looking rifles. Here are a few more variations in recce build parts.

It's funny to see that a good friend of mine in shown in several of the favored reference photos in this thread.

I have most of the parts used to build the rifles shown in many of the old internet photos, Colt uppers/lowers (various era/markings, MIL/LE..etc..), various Wilcox mounts, Atlas bipods, 2.5-10x24 NF scope, rails, stocks, PEQ's, etc. but I decided to build a modern recce style rifle and didn't use any of those parts on my build.

As usual, individuals will add a variety of personal preference items but other than the 2.5-10x42 (24 is still the standard), I built the current "standard" set-up for a particular NSW command, from suppressor to butt stock and locally manufactured sling.  There are other items that may be used as optional but are not "standard" on the build.

I don't usually mix colored parts on my rifles but there's a reason for the tan stock.

Best,
Rob (Joefriday22)

PS..Of course my newby pics aren't displaying so I'd appreciate some help from you senior guys..

image share
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jf22:
Hi guys,

Hats off to you all for some great looking rifles. Here are a few more variations in recce build parts.

It's funny to see that a good friend of mine in shown in several of the favored reference photos in this thread.

I have most of the parts used to build the rifles shown in many of the old internet photos, Colt uppers/lowers (various era/markings, MIL/LE..etc..), various Wilcox mounts, Atlas bipods, 2.5-10x24 NF scope, rails, stocks, PEQ's, etc. but I decided to build a modern recce style rifle and didn't use any of those parts on my build.

As usual, individuals will add a variety of personal preference items but other than the 2.5-10x42 (24 is still the standard), I built the current "standard" set-up for a particular NSW command, from suppressor to butt stock and locally manufactured sling.  There are other items that may be used as optional but are not "standard" on the build.

I don't usually mix colored parts on my rifles but there's a reason for the tan stock.

Best,
Rob (Joefriday22)

PS..Of course my newby pics aren't displaying so I'd appreciate some help from you senior guys..

https://i.postimg.cc/xj59C4HH/IMG-8624.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/9MjcR3JP/IMG-7272.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/rmCM5hPB/IMG-8621.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/NFdtzKYb/IMG-8627.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/tgvmwFVs/IMG-8546.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/5NK4NN3k/IMG-8658.jpgimage share
View Quote
Sweet! Thanks for posting those up!! I think you’re gonna be getting some messages on those Wilcox mounts haha
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 12:08:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#47]
@jf22

Now let's talk Wilcox! Message inbound so the thread doesn't get gunked up

EDIT: removed pics since they're working above now. Don't want to dip them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
https://i.imgflip.com/3fwcs3.jpg
View Quote
Accurate
Page / 123
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top