Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2020 2:42:34 PM EDT
Have the chance to purchase a new (old) still in wrapper green cotton canvas M1 sling.
It has a white paper label on each side of the packaging.

PRIMARY STANDARD
PACKAGED BY
P & P  No- R.S.S.D
OCT. 1965

The other label is partially ripped, the left side is missing, this is what is left.

B1- U.S.
1055_00_714 5320
SLING
QTY.1

Cannot post a photo as their website won't alloy me to copy it.
Does anyone have any info about the said packaging and sling. I already have a slightly used green M1 sling, on the lookout for a Brown "seat belt" sling and if this NIW is worth adding to my collection I'll get it.
TIA
Brough
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats the price?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whats the price?
View Quote

A tad under $25
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it one of these for $24.95?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it one of these for $24.95?
View Quote

No, just a regular looking sling. Doesn't appear to have the "dot" on the end tab. Tbh I don't recall seeing one of those before.
The interesting part for me is that it is still sealed in its wrapper, if I do decide to buy, it will stay unwrapped in my collection. Just need a heads up if it's legit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Brown paper wrap, or clear plastic bag type?
If it's not packed like this one below, I seriously question it:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Brown paper wrap, or clear plastic bag type?
View Quote

Looks like wrapped in brown wax paper with serrated edges and sealed in clear plastic. White paper labels also have serrated edges.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Looks like wrapped in brown wax paper with serrated edges and sealed in clear plastic. White paper labels also have serrated edges.
View Quote

More like this 1966 one?  But has white labels on the plastic bag? Or labels inside on the brown wrap? Is the brown wrap marked too?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
M1907 leather slings came wrapped in the brown paper VCI too.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
M1sniper,
Similar to the 1966 but not exact.
White label appears to be on the outside of the clear plastic.
I'll try and find a way to get an image of the packaging.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Brough asked me to post the pictures for him, so here we go ...

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The impressed dot on the ball end keeper was an earlier thing. Most WW2 and early 50s slings had those. At some point it disappeared by the late 50s early 60s. WW2 slings up until at least 1946 had pot metal ball end keepers and that changed to brass in the 50s from my observations. Early slings also had the small triglide buckle that had the middle bar raised and off center. The later larger triglide was a big improvement. The later VN era seat belt slings came in many shades, from lima bean green to baby poop brown. Mine in light OD, and I don't like it at all.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/3XxWIayh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pWVtKAQh.jpg
View Quote

Apologies for the quality of the photos, unfortunately I had to take screen shots of the item.
Brough
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/3XxWIayh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pWVtKAQh.jpg
View Quote

The NSN, National Stock Number, system was not used until 1974. Until then a Federal Stock Number, FSN, was used. The early FSN's were converted by adding the NATO country code, 00 or 01 for United States, after the first four digits. I question the legitimacy of this package.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I recently found some information about the above pictured sling.
"small arms sling, hard nylon weave, FSC 1055-00-714-5320 issued for use in the Republic of Vietnam"
The FSC 1055 is believed to have been used for M20 RL, M79 grenade launcher etc.
However, the sling that I have pictured looked to be green cotton and not "hard nylon weave" so I contacted the seller and he confirms that it is indeed nylon.
So it seems that it may well be authentic and I think I will take a gamble on it, but unfortunately is not M16 related.
If anyone has more info please chime in.
Brough

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top