Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Years ago a buddy gave me a Bushmaster AR15 rifle buffer/tube/spring kit that I think/hope will work with the BRN10. Brownells says their AR15 rifle kit does work with the BRN10, even the buffer and spring so we'll see once I find it and compare to what's in my BRN10A.

View Quote

Hello Quentin
Lets talk rifle (not carbine) buffers.  The spring works the same on either AR15 or BRN10.  The buffers though are different.  The buffer on in a AR10 is 3/4" shorter due to the longer BCG.  So there might be a clearance problem inside the buffer tube, or the BCG not properly locking back on the last round.  You may want to check that out.  Oh BTW, Brownells has the rifle buffer on sale right now.  Something like 12 bucks I think.  HTH
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]
delete
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
delete
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
delete
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@SSBlack86

For your accuracy issues I would check the following.

1. Barrel torque

2. Front sight being loose.

Many of the early front sights had a poorly pinned FSB. The taper pin was too short and it was canted.

I re-timed mine to get it 12 o'clock TDC, and then drilled out the hole for a larger diameter pin.
View Quote

I really like what you did to put a flattop upper on the Brn-10 Mike. I actually returned the lightweight barrel, I was getting horrible accuracy and I was also getting muzzle flashes out from both sides of the sight base around the barrel. The front sight base was tight on the barrel. And I did use the proper torquing procedure for a barrel by tightening and loosening it multiple times before the final torque is applied.  I ended up getting the heavier profile barrel and haven’t had any problems with it it shoots pretty good.

@mike_nds What do you mean by the lightweight barrel is a sensitive to forearm pressure? When I was shooting I was supporting it on a block of wood that I was resting the handguard on near the handguard end-cap.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The light barrel does string vertically if you aren't mindful of forearm pressure.

Mine did between 2-3MOA at 100 with Port ball.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/BRN-10_right_JPG-1721141.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/BRN-10_left_JPG-1721140.jpg

I milled an Aero M5 upper to fit. Scope was a 2.5-10.

View Quote

I love what you've done with this rifle, @mike_nds ! It looks soooooo cool with that Aero flattop upper you milled to a custom fit! And so practical - it adds a whole new usability dimension to a retro rifle.
With 2-3 thousand BRN-10s out there I wonder if there is a small market for this upper? A lot of us would love an extra flattop upper to modernize our BRN-10. Pin on one upper and it's 1959, pin on the other and it's 2021! But I guess not worth your time, probably not enough of us out there. Good to know it can be done.

With barrels out of stock everywhere maybe jump on the heavier Faxon fluted barrel (Brownells closeout price is just $179) for more accuracy with your flattop upper? Then with your pencil barrel turn that extra BRN-10 upper into the lightweight BRN-10B version? Of course you're way ahead of me and can get any barrel you want and swap things any way you want.

Thanks for the first hand knowledge of the pencil barrel, I now know what to expect from a bench rest when I get my "BRN-10B" assembled. Since I have the heavier Faxon fluted barrel in my BRN-10A I wanted to try their pencil barrel this time. And it weighs about 11 ounces less which is substantial for this 73 year-old Vietnam vet so even 6-7 MOA off hand with iron sights will be fine for me.

Thanks for all you do for our Retro universe! I love the XM16E1 lower that I bought for you guys last summer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hello Quentin
Lets talk rifle (not carbine) buffers.  The spring works the same on either AR15 or BRN10.  The buffers though are different.  The buffer on in a AR10 is 3/4" shorter due to the longer BCG.  So there might be a clearance problem inside the buffer tube, or the BCG not properly locking back on the last round.  You may want to check that out.  Oh BTW, Brownells has the rifle buffer on sale right now.  Something like 12 bucks I think.  HTH
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Years ago a buddy gave me a Bushmaster AR15 rifle buffer/tube/spring kit that I think/hope will work with the BRN10. Brownells says their AR15 rifle kit does work with the BRN10, even the buffer and spring so we'll see once I find it and compare to what's in my BRN10A.

Hello Quentin

Thanks! I know my 16" ArmaLite AR-10A with a telescoping stock uses a special ArmaLite carbine receiver extension that's about 3/4" longer so a standard H3 carbine buffer and spring can be used. It's a great idea since most other brands use a standard length buffer tube so need a shorter buffer. I like not having an oddball buffer to worry about.

Back to rifle buffers, I've got to dig through my junk and find that Bushmaster kit to compare buffers. I know the tube will be fine and the spring but like you say buffer length probably will bite me. Better get that buffer while on sale. I was wondering about the Brownells tech who said their kit works for both 308 and 556.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]
@PHMDLJR
Yep, you're right of course. The Bushmaster AR-15 rifle buffer is 5/8" longer and only weighs 5.1 oz instead of the 5.4oz of the BRN-10 buffer. Also the AR-15 buffer spring is longer and lighter so I just ordered both 308 parts from Brownells. The AR-15 rifle buffer tube is fine so I'll use that. Also threw in three more BRN-10 waffle magazines since they're $30 and probably will be OOS soon. I'll have six for the two BRN10s and these three can live with my ArmaLite AR-10A.

I figured that Brownells tech was wrong.

Thanks again for your help!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@PHMDLJR
Yep, you're right of course. The Bushmaster AR-15 rifle buffer is 5/8" longer and only weighs 5.1 oz instead of the 5.4oz of the BRN-10 buffer. Also the AR-15 buffer spring is longer and lighter so I just ordered both 308 parts from Brownells. The AR-15 rifle buffer tube is fine so I'll use that. Also threw in three more BRN-10 waffle magazines since they're $30 and probably will be OOS soon. I'll have six for the two BRN10s and these three can live with my ArmaLite AR-10A.

I figured that Brownells tech was wrong.

Thanks again for your help!
View Quote

The correct 308 buffer, buffer spring plus waffle magazines from Brownells arrived today and look good. So do the BRN-10 stripped lower (plus proprietary lower parts) and BRN-10B lightweight barrel, slip ring, weld spring and C-clamp. Hopefully the BRN-10 upper receiver (plus proprietary upper parts) and other parts needed for the build will come this week so I can get this show on the road. Never built a 308 before so looking forward to this. Still need a good BCG but I can test with the one from my BRN-10A.

BRN-10 parts prices and availability are swinging wildly this week. The upper receiver that I ordered for $199 is now $314. The lower receiver went from $150 to $315. Parts are going in and out of stock, I ordered a brown pistol grip yesterday then it immediately went OOS. Today I got an email that it shipped but I'll believe it when I see it, still worth a try to order it.

Opportunities that can turn up during a build: My old Bushmaster rifle receiver extension that I planned to use on the BRN-10 is a nice dark gray, a color match to my BRN-601 receiver while my 601's current black receiver extension nicely matches the black BRN-10 lower. Nice swap, takes care of something that's bugged me. Nice when something actually works out!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck on the brn10 brown grip. I have one on backorder for 7 weeks. Would not be surprised if you received a Ar15 brown grip...
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good luck on the brn10 brown grip. I have one on backorder for 7 weeks. Would not be surprised if you received a Ar15 brown grip...
View Quote

You're probably right. I have a black BRN10 pistol grip on backorder but they won't even let you backorder the brown one. Then the brown one popped up "in stock" yesterday and they let me order it. Today I got an email that it shipped.
Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it! If I actually do get the BRN10 version maybe it was a return or one that fell behind the water cooler for months then was added to "stock".
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Just ordered a Fail Zero EXO Coated .308 Bolt Carrier Group - DPMS Pattern from Primary Arms. Hope it works properly in the BRN-10 which also conforms to the DPMS 308 BCG.

It does have forward assist serrations but finding a chrome or NIB BCG without serrations is hard now. Also if I have to sell it later it may be better to have the serrations.

What fun doing a build when parts are flying off the shelf before the leftists take power again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

They better not!
I have been waiting for the brown A1's to come back into stock for weeks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It actually did turn out to be the BRN10 brown pistol grip I ordered after all. New in the box, not something swept up from behind the toilet. Wrapped in a plastic bag and the screw also was in a bag.
Like you, I expected they would send something else.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Brownells sent me a final invoice copy for my grip today, maybe I will get it next week. ??
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Brownells sent me a final invoice copy for my grip today, maybe I will get it next week. ??
View Quote

Good news! Hope you get yours too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not too much really. Holding the part at the correct angle in the mill was a challenge.

I modified an old heavy duty scope ring to hold the part.

Then did a few passes, checked fit, cut, checked, cut. Then I rounded the ends on the buffer wheel.

It fits nice and tight.

If a guy wanted to do it by hand you could. Just dremel/file it down and check it on the lower as you go.

It would suck, but it could be done.

Here's my target from the range session. It was around 23 degrees that morning.

I shot the center first, then went left to right. By the time I got to the last one I had figured out what I was doing wrong.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/IMGA0804_JPG-1755106.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much machine work was required to fit the Aero M5 upper receiver?

Not too much really. Holding the part at the correct angle in the mill was a challenge.

I modified an old heavy duty scope ring to hold the part.

Then did a few passes, checked fit, cut, checked, cut. Then I rounded the ends on the buffer wheel.

It fits nice and tight.

If a guy wanted to do it by hand you could. Just dremel/file it down and check it on the lower as you go.

It would suck, but it could be done.

Here's my target from the range session. It was around 23 degrees that morning.

I shot the center first, then went left to right. By the time I got to the last one I had figured out what I was doing wrong.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/IMGA0804_JPG-1755106.jpg

I finally compared my 2014 ArmaLite AR-10A and BRN-10. Very close fit, just misses - not much material would need to be removed to fit the ArmaLite flattop upper to the BRN-10 lower. I'd never do it but it's cool to see how close they come. I've read that in the 1990s Mark Westrom/ArmaLite used an SR-25 upper while testing their prototype AR-10 lower. DPMS was looking too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Those of you who have used the retro barrels, is there a special gas tube roll pin I need to use?  Not having much luck with getting one from my spares stash to get started in the retro fsb.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I used 5/64" Dia., 1/2" (12.7mm) length roll pins in both of my BRN-10 builds. Ordered a pack of 36 from brownells. Item 080-520-500WB.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I just used a regular AR-15 roll pin in mine and just centered it in the hole best I could.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quentin

Received my brn10 grip and it was correct, boxed up and sending JT for some of his magic. I am pleased with my BRN10 I put together when Brownells put the parts on sale. It shoots and handles well, and now will look great.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just ordered a Fail Zero EXO Coated .308 Bolt Carrier Group - DPMS Pattern from Primary Arms. Hope it works properly in the BRN-10 which also conforms to the DPMS 308 BCG.

It does have forward assist serrations but finding a chrome or NIB BCG without serrations is hard now. Also if I have to sell it later it may be better to have the serrations.

What fun doing a build when parts are flying off the shelf before the leftists take power again.
View Quote

I got my Fail Zero NiB 308 BCG today so all parts now are here for my BRN-10B build (well I need to look through my junk for a milspec trigger guard). The Fail Zero BCG is solid and much shinier than the matte chrome BRN-10 BCG. It weighs 18.5 oz compared to the Brownells 16.8 oz. I'm at about $900 for the parts, all Brownells BRN-10 except for the FZ BCG. Not bad since the closeout sale BRN-10A I bought 3 months ago was $1300.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep I figured I have around 800.00 in mine, I doubt anyone will notice the difference in bcg, especially after firing a few hundred rounds, heavier bolt may help a little with recoil. But I think miy BRN 10 shoots easier than several other ar10s I have. Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yep I figured I have around 800.00 in mine, I doubt anyone will notice the difference in bcg, especially after firing a few hundred rounds, heavier bolt may help a little with recoil. But I think miy BRN 10 shoots easier than several other ar10s I have. Good luck and have fun!
View Quote

Good luck on yours too. And glad you got your BRN10 pistol grip, one less thing to worry about. I'm sure John Thomas will do his outstanding retro magic for you. I was thinking of sending him my takedown pins to dimple but think I'll let that slide since I fear the mail might lose those irreplaceable parts. Maybe I'll send the trigger/hammer pins since I have plenty of them. Better yet, I should do it myself this time.

$800 is a steal for a BRN-10, possible due to great sale prices over the last few months. Too bad that the receivers recently doubled in price, maybe they'll go back on sale. Would be nice to snag a BRN-10 BCG someday but for now a "chrome" DPMS BCG brings you home. (Unlike what bikers/car guys say - "chrome won't get you home".)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Got more parts in today so no excuse not to get going on my second BRN-10. I name my retro rifles after songs popular in their day so the complete BRN-10A I bought from Brownells is named Mojo for the 1957 Muddy Waters song "Got My Mojo Workin' " and the BRN-10B in pieces is "La Bomba" for the Ritchie Valens 1958 hit song. Maybe I should call the A "Couldn't Get It Right" and the B still in pieces - "Pick up The Pieces"!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#31]
The good news - the BRN-10 upper receiver assembly has gone back on sale for $199. And some barrels are in stock plus some smaller parts.

The bad news - the BRN-10 lower receiver is out of stock, "No longer deliverable by the Factory"

Turn out the lights, the party's over.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top