Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2021 5:35:35 PM EDT
Haven't touched an AR in almost 30 years, finally built this one....

80% lower receiver that I milled out on a drill press.  Loved the process, only took a couple of hours, start to finish.

PSA MOE kit, 5.56, EPT trigger, MOE stock, grip, handguard.  MBUS rear sight, Streamlight ProTac on a scout mount, Magpul MVG front grip, ASAP QD rear receiver plate.  I put the cheap Truglo red dot on it mainly for the looks, but also because I've never used one before.  I wanted to try one, but didn't want to dump a log of money on one to find out I don't like it.

I know, Gucci Gun, but you have to admit it looks good...
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking build. How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven’t had a chance to try it yet.  Just finished it a little while ago, weather’s been lousy and ammo scarce.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
How did you finish the 80% lower?  Does it have a durable finish?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I put some Duracoat on the inside after I milled it out.  It’s not a pretty finish but it should hold up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know, Gucci Gun, but you have to admit it looks good...
View Quote

Gucci?  Nah...  You don't have a $400 rail handguard and a $600 optic on it...  

Magpul isn't cheap crap, but it is far from stupidly overpriced either.

I actually like that style of red dot pretty well, except they aren't the most durable if you drop them they can break.  But other than that, they usually work surprisingly well for the money.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#7]
A drill press is a real PITA to mill on... at least it was when I once tried it . The chuck had vertical movement and chattered when attempting to mill with it. I ended up using a Bridgeport.

Glad to hear you were able to complete the job.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A drill press is a real PITA to mill on... at least it was when I once tried it . The chuck had vertical movement and chattered when attempting to mill with it. I ended up using a Bridgeport.

View Quote

I agree with the drill press thing.  I've seen way too many ruined or just plain ugly lowers done by people that way.  Not saying it can't be done, but I think for most people who don't have access to a real milling machine that a trim router based jig is the way to go.

I'm glad for the OP that his apparently turned out well.  Unfortunately I think that may be the exception rather than the rule.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good OP.  My first AR came with that exact sight.  Don't waste ammo trying to zero it.  It won't hold a zero.  It's basically an airsoft sight.  Just a warning.  

Once again, looks good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks good OP.  My first AR came with that exact sight.  Don't waste ammo trying to zero it.  It won't hold a zero.  It's basically an airsoft sight.  Just a warning.  

Onces again, looks good.
View Quote

There are a lot of red dot sights that look pretty much exactly like that one.  Some are good, some not.  So I'd give it a try before dismissing it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice work. FYI... I had a friend with that red dot. It’s completely dangerous for anything other than the shooting range. They do not hold zero, like at all, all you have to do is breath on it. Stick with the irons for home defense.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree with the drill press thing.  I've seen way too many ruined or just plain ugly lowers done by people that way.  Not saying it can't be done, but I think for most people who don't have access to a real milling machine that a trim router based jig is the way to go.

I'm glad for the OP that his apparently turned out well.  Unfortunately I think that may be the exception rather than the rule.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used a drill press with a dual axis machinist vise.  It chattered a little when I was working out the last 1/8” or so off the bottom, but overall it did well.

I don’t have access to a milling machine so I had to make due with what I have.  I’m pleased with the results.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Gucci?  Nah...  You don't have a $400 rail handguard and a $600 optic on it...  

Magpul isn't cheap crap, but it is far from stupidly overpriced either.

I actually like that style of red dot pretty well, except they aren't the most durable if you drop them they can break.  But other than that, they usually work surprisingly well for the money.
View Quote

Doesn’t make sense to pay more for the handguard than you do for the barrel, does it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Gears op. Depending on where in pa get another 80 and try a 5d jig on my bench.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Doesn’t make sense to pay more for the handguard than you do for the barrel, does it?
View Quote

It does not, but some do
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gears op. Depending on where in pa get another 80 and try a 5d jig on my bench.
View Quote

I did two lowers, waiting for a few more parts to come in before I can finish the second build.  Not familiar with the 5D jig, does that use a router?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top