Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2017 12:00:01 AM EDT
I know that people were initially underwhelmed with the UTAS XTR12 (AR-10-style shotgun) and there was a thread which documented numerous malfunctions. In the interest of providing another data point, I figured I’d share my experience.

I have one and it has so far run flawlessly. I have somewhere between 50 and 100 rounds though it. I’m not as lucky as some of you range-is-my-second-home fellas are, so shooting happens around my very busy work schedule. :-) But with those 50-100 rounds, I haven’t had any issues. I bought it used and the previous owner reported that it ran well for him. He had no shortage of videos which showed mag after mag of semi auto dumps.

I have exclusively run Remington Slugger 2 3/4 length rifled slugs through it. I was advised to only run high brass shells that have a minimum of 1,300 FPS velocity, and the Sluggers have 1,500+.

One thing worth noting is that I absolutely hate loading the magazines. It’s tricky to get a shell to slide back into the mag without its lip catching on the front of the brass of the round below it. But that’s the only complaint so far.

For now, it’s a range toy. I won’t trust my life to it until I’ve run hundreds of rounds through it without incident. If it goes to crap on me (as it has apparently done for so many other folks) then I’ll let you guys know. But so far, so good.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Have any photos of yours as currently configured?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've wanted one of these for a while, but can never catch them in stock.  Is yours a gen 1 or gen 2?  If its a Gen 2 what are the thread pitch?
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've wanted one of these for a while, but can never catch them in stock.  Is yours a gen 1 or gen 2?  If its a Gen 2 what are the thread pitch?
View Quote
Atlantic firearms is showing their cali legal model in stock.  Not sure which parts are different on that model.  But atlantic are good people.  Call them up and ask them and they might even swap some of the parts around to make this one the non-cali version.  https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cali-xtr-12-black-detail.html?Itemid=0

ETA -
Just watched their youtube video.  It says they made the stock fixed and added an extended rear takedown pin and a different mag release button.  That seems like it'd be easily reversible if you really wanted one of these.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Atlantic firearms is showing their cali legal model in stock.  Not sure which parts are different on that model.  But atlantic are good people.  Call them up and ask them and they might even swap some of the parts around to make this one the non-cali version.  https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cali-xtr-12-black-detail.html?Itemid=0

ETA -
Just watched their youtube video.  It says they made the stock fixed and added an extended rear takedown pin and a different mag release button.  That seems like it'd be easily reversible if you really wanted one of these.
View Quote
yeah, I'm on their list of notifications for the non CA legal ones.  I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they have and ETA.  They bay be EOL with a new version coming especially with SHOT this month.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:08:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for the delayed response. I forgot I made this thread. D’oh!

Mine has a Magpul stock with a Limbsaver foam rubber cushion, an el cheapo Sightmark red dot, Magpul MBUS sights, a single-point sling adapter, and a V6 muzzle brake.

She’s a spicy meatball.

If my luck continues and I get to where I can trust it, I’ll probably SBS it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure. Let me check on that and get back with you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I took it to the range again today. The muzzle brake is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoot some video!

I wanna see it!
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I sent my upper in to get the bolt and barrel extension replaced with the updated parts, hope it gets back soon.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:58:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I sent my upper in to get the bolt and barrel extension replaced with the updated parts, hope it gets back soon.
View Quote
How does one differentiate a gen 1 from gen 2?

My GF wants a shotgun (we have a few AR's but no shotguns) and that may be my ticket to one of these lol.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:12:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
What version did you have and what was wrong with it?  I got an early version (pre-election) and it was crap but haven't done anything about it.  If I could get it working that would be great.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#12]
After doing some reading I really don't want to get fucked by one of these guns. At the same price point, why not just get a VEPR12?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shoot some video!

I wanna see it!
View Quote
Will do!
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After doing some reading I really don't want to get fucked by one of these guns. At the same price point, why not just get a VEPR12?
View Quote
AR controls, really. I really do not like anything about AKs. No offense to other folks who do like them, but I just hate the ergonomics, the weight, the sights, the feel. I just don't like AKs at all.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Does the charging handle have a latch on both sides or just one? The first generation had the double latch, subsequent generations ditched it for a more standard single latch.

You've only ever shot slugs through it? Why not just get a normal AR10 then?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does the charging handle have a latch on both sides or just one? The first generation had the double latch, subsequent generations ditched it for a more standard single latch.

You've only ever shot slugs through it? Why not just get a normal AR10 then?
View Quote
Mine has a latch on both sides of the charging handle, which is surprisingly annoying. Whenever I get a free moment, I intend to take one of them off.

I have only shot slugs because I have only shot the gun at an indoor range. They don't allow buckshot. Once I have vetted the gun and feel comfortable that it won't leave me stranded on the side of the road, I will make it my primary home defense weapon and run buckshot through it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this the Turkish shotgun that also takes DPMS Gen 1 long frame AR uppers?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:21:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is this the Turkish shotgun that also takes DPMS Gen 1 long frame AR uppers?
View Quote
Yes to the first part. I don't know about the second part. I've found a few threads where people were speculating as to how easily one could swap a .308 upper onto UTAS lower, but I don't know for sure that anyone did anything with it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top