Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2022 6:47:20 PM EDT
Just a quick question about putting a muzzle break on a 11.5" AR 15 SBR. I was running a Surefire flash hider with a standard carbine length gas system and buffer set up and the gun ran great. Just messing around i threw on a JP Enterprise 2 port break/comp and now the BCG wont lock back on an empty mag. The gun shoots amazingly flat but I'm  wondering if the break is robbing too much pressure causing the BCG to short stroke.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#1]
BCG should already be in motion, by the time gas hits the brake. Could be brake is working so well it's moving rifle back while BCG is also moving rearward?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Some muzzle devices can increase back pressure in the gas system, but not reduce it.

What buffer are you using?

Short barrels have a lot of muzzle blast and very effective brakes or comps on a short barrel might create enough force on the firearm to cause short stroking.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried a few different buffers and springs. Kynshot with springco blue. H with springco white, jp  captured and a voltor a5. All with the same non lock back results.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just a quick question about putting a muzzle break on a 11.5" AR 15 SBR. I was running a Surefire flash hider with a standard carbine length gas system and buffer set up and the gun ran great. Just messing around i threw on a JP Enterprise 2 port break/comp and now the BCG wont lock back on an empty mag. The gun shoots amazingly flat but I'm  wondering if the break is robbing too much pressure causing the BCG to short stroke.
View Quote

If all you changed was the muzzle device, then maybe you turned the barrel in the receiver (play between indexing pin and receiver) torquing the brake and now the gas tube is dragging inside the gas key causing short stroking?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahh that's something I didnt think about. I'll check it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
how did you secure the barrel/upper while changing MDs?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Having similar issues as OP after changing out flash hiders for Dead Air muzzle brakes.  Had two different 10.5” uppers short stroke on a single lower with a carbine spring and h3 buffer.  Swapped muzzle devices while using a Midwest reaction rod to secure the uppers.  I’ve swapped the buffer for an h2 buffer, but haven’t shot the uppers again to see if that fixed the issue.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Swapping from H3 to H2 buffer worked out, no more short stroking with muzzle brake.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top