Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 6:35:40 PM EDT
Hey guys so I am mounting a light on my 7.5 .300blk. It has a m-lok handguard and there isn’t much room for clearance under the guard for the mount. I am using a 5 slot MOE rail section. One of the screws is hitting the gas block. Is this going to hurt anything? Also the light is an Inforce HSP and in order to get the light where I need it I can’t sit it on the whole length of rail and it’s not real solid. Anybody else have that issue?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys so I am mounting a light on my 7.5 .300blk. It has a m-lok handguard and there isn’t much room for clearance under the guard for the mount. I am using a 5 slot MOE rail section. One of the screws is hitting the gas block. Is this going to hurt anything? Also the light is an Inforce HSP and in order to get the light where I need it I can’t sit it on the whole length of rail and it’s not real solid. Anybody else have that issue?
View Quote
I've run into issues like that on every shorty AR pistol I own. I've had to grind many screws down to make them shorter. You don't want anything from the hand guard touching the gas block as that will put tension on the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
If your handguard or anything attached to it is touching the barrel or anything attached to that, you are losing the benefits of freefloat barrel.  And if your screw is really pushing the gas block, it may skew things up and make your barrel and your sights not point in the same direction anymore.

Install the mlok accessory in a different slot and count how many threads are exposed when it's cranked down.  Thats about how much you can shrink the screw with a dremel, grinding wheel, or file.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I modified the piece of rail section so I ccould move it forward about a half inch. Now it’s not touching anything and it has plenty of clearance. I’m just kind of pissed I left a chip at the edge of the block before I noticed the screw hitting. It literally would have cleared if I had a mm more to move it. They really should make the screws shorter.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
My two new inforce lights.

upload pic
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:49:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The small diameter rails are the culprit on short barreled AR's.  I had the same problem with mine and had to grind down most of the screws on my accessories.  The Magpul AFG only has a couple mm clearance from the gas block, once I shortened the screws.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:09:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Reading through the thread, it sounds like we all encounter the issue when attaching stuff to the front end of our shorties. Same solution too, we just grind.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a .936" gas block. I even had to grind the nuts! One part I'm even considering just tac welding to my hand guard.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top