AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@GlutealCleft

any particular type/brand of synthetic ATF you recommend?
View Quote
Any of them are fine, modern ATFs are incredibly well-engineered.  I personally picked up a quart of royal purple oil and ATF, just for the purple color.  But that's purely cosmetic.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Mobile 1 5w 30 full synthetic with a reasonable helping of Walmart brand high temp multi duty grease for the BCG.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:28:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep Mobil 1 0w30 on hand for the AMG's oil changes and use it on all the guns. I probably shoot 3000+ rds per week and the Mobil 1 does the best job I've found. I use automotive grease (redline super tacky) on suppressor booster housings and barrel nuts threads as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Saw this post and made me think about the chainsaw bar oil I have.  It has sticky ingredient in it.  I might try this and see how it well it works. Gonna google this to see if others have used this oil.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Makes sense, Militec was originally intended to be a chainsaw oil IIRC
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got Euro-spec 0-40 Mobil 1 strewn about all my range cases and bags in these: fifty cents each.

Some straight M1, some mixed with Mobil 1 synthetic grease until it's somewhere between the two, which seems to work well for the BCG and pistol rails.

Larry
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mobil 1 full synthetic.  Used it for years, never hand any problems.  I've switched to cherry balmz, the stuff is simply better.
View Quote
Curious what metric you used to come to that conclusion?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I keep Mobil 1 0w30 on hand for the AMG's oil changes and use it on all the guns. I probably shoot 3000+ rds per week and the Mobil 1 does the best job I've found. I use automotive grease (redline super tacky) on suppressor booster housings and barrel nuts threads as well.
View Quote
HOLY.
SHIT.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

HOLY.
SHIT.
View Quote
Obviously not EVERY week, but at least 2 weeks a month, 9 months out of the year. Hunting season I shoot relatively few rounds, surprisingly
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Engine oil is carcinogenic when it burns. Used engine oil is carcinogenic to touch, and when it burns.

I don't get it. I used to love engine oil when I didn't shoot much. Now that I shoot 500-1000 rounds on a range trip I hate it. Mobile 1, Castrol, 10W, 5W, don't matter. They all burn and smell like fuck.

It's properties impressed me when I used CLP. Now that I use good lubricants it's not even that good. Buy a $20 bottle of EWL. It's not expensive, will last a long time, and doesn't blow cancerous burning dinosaur ass in your face.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Engine oil is carcinogenic when it burns. Used engine oil is carcinogenic to touch, and when it burns.

I don't get it. I used to love engine oil when I didn't shoot much. Now that I shoot 500-1000 rounds on a range trip I hate it. Mobile 1, Castrol, 10W, 5W, don't matter. They all burn and smell like fuck.

It's properties impressed me when I used CLP. Now that I use good lubricants it's not even that good. Buy a $20 bottle of EWL. It's not expensive, will last a long time, and doesn't blow cancerous burning dinosaur ass in your face.
View Quote
You keep buying EWL.. I'm still on a half a quart of Mobil 1 from 3 years ago...

And if you really think that a rifle is heating up Mobil 1 to the point that it is going to give you cancer.... "I'll take my chances....cause I'm pretty sure, of all the things in this life, trying to take me down, that one is not it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You keep buying EWL.. I'm still on a half a quart of Mobil 1 from 3 years ago...

And if you really think that a rifle is heating up Mobil 1 to the point that it is going to give you cancer.... "I'll take my chances....cause I'm pretty sure, of all the things in this life, trying to take me down, that one is not it.
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing when I read his response. I always get a chuckle at folks that run down CLP. Ran it almost exclusively for 32 years and never had a failure, to include many, many, many thousands of rounds of belt fed ammo and though every clime and place you could take a gun. Been running the Rotella now for a few ran sessions and have yet to have any burn off or stink. CLP is even good for cologne, the chicks dig it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Engine oil breaks down and loses viscosity at 200-300 degrees, and burns rapidly at 350-400. That's equivalent to the BCG a couple hundred rounds in tandem semiauto fire. I didn't switch so I could be a snob about it on the internet. I switched because I got sick of the shit burning away and smelling like fuck. Modern gun lubricants will double those numbers, or more. They also won't release carcinogens or toxic chemicals in the process.

Not even mag dumps, just run a couple hundred rounds suppressed with engine oil. Unless you like the smell of burning oil and inhaling benzene, you will see the light.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you guys seen the "Cold Weather Lube" thread? Good stuff.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Cold-weather-lubricant-experiment/7-736457/

One of the poster did a YouTube video where he set a bunch of lubes out in the cold; -22. Regular CLP, Rem Oil, and one other did pretty well. The Slip 2000 EWL didn't do so well. In fact it was pretty much a solid, and in the words of the poster, "Fail". Check it out.

https://youtu.be/ZYkJiHXWt3s
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Another 500 rds of nuclear loads down this morning through a suppressed DI 10mm AR, and 120 suppressed though one of the Grendels for load development. Both lubed with Mobil 1 0w30 with no issues, no smoke, no stink.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is exactly why I don't use automotive oils & greases on firearms. Not to mention the  unbearable stench of the stuff. I'm in my 70's now and hope to go of natural causes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I hate these threads. Don’t use motor oil let alone alone used motor oil. Used motor oil has carcinogens. Read safety data sheets
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]
lol I use most oils, mobil 1 0w20, clp, 10w30, rem oil, tetra grease, hell I've use air tool oil

Thinner stuff when it's cold thicker stuff when it's hot
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  As someone in the Lubricants industry for a major international oil company, I hate these threads. Don’t use motor oil let alone alone used motor oil. Used motor oil has carcinogens. Read safety data sheets
View Quote
So I should try not to breathe the 30W WalMart oil I've got in my gun bag tomorrow?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 0W-40
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Engine oil breaks down and loses viscosity at 200-300 degrees, and burns rapidly at 350-400. That's equivalent to the BCG a couple hundred rounds in tandem semiauto fire. I didn't switch so I could be a snob about it on the internet. I switched because I got sick of the shit burning away and smelling like fuck. Modern gun lubricants will double those numbers, or more. They also won't release carcinogens or toxic chemicals in the process.

Not even mag dumps, just run a couple hundred rounds suppressed with engine oil. Unless you like the smell of burning oil and inhaling benzene, you will see the light.
View Quote
pretty sure an AR15 BCG or bolt doesnt get anywhere near that hot.

not sure what up with your nose but i never smell anything from using mobil 1. its also the only lube that doesnt cook off with suppressor use.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most gun oils are mineral - so they would also be carcinogenic when they burn.  Does anyone know of the burning lead from the back bullets being fired is bad, or the lead and mercury from the primers is safe????? How about following the old truck that burns more engine oil than gas??? Or how about diesel trucks with the black smoke clouds???

I bet the 4 or 5 drops of oil I may smoke off really is not what is going to kill me.

Best lube IMO... Harbor Freight "Super lube" (real thin layer) on all the shiny places.  Then... Mobil 1 full synthetic on top - thicker stuff.  Don't need to add any other crap in.  Does not need to be super wet like CLP, because it will stick around.  Talk about one slickery bolt!!!

Best cleaner IMO... 1/3 mineral ATF, 2/3 odorless mineral spirits.  Little shot of Kroil.  Forget acetone, that stuff smells like hell, and I dont have a plastic build up problem in my rifle.  Stuff is stupid cheap to mix.  I have heard the whining that a small bottle of CPL is the right thing to use, and will last a long time.  Screw that, I like to dump cleaner on and scrub with an old toothbrush.... I go thru a lot of my cleaner.  Cuts carbon and crap good and fast, works better than store bought CLP.  Smell is not that bad.  A rag and compressed air gets most off.  The mineral spirits evaporate leaving a thin layer of ATF for rust protection.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Ed’s Red!! I say!!  I gargle with it and shave the hair on my balls with a Weed Whacker!!

I regress a bit but findAll this amusing.  Sleep well with what you use... it’s ALL been tried. Smell Hell! If smell made a diff your ladies would of snuffed out #9 a 100 yrs ago!!

Post Something Completely new for us ALL to chew on.   We’d all enjoy the late winter read

H
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

pretty sure an AR15 BCG or bolt doesnt get anywhere near that hot.

not sure what up with your nose but i never smell anything from using mobil 1. its also the only lube that doesnt cook off with suppressor use.
View Quote
I assure you an AR15 bolt reaches 200 degrees. Carrier rails might require high firing schedules for that.

How come others can cook engine oil but you don't, might be the real question. A typical range trip for me is about 600 rounds, majority of it high firing schedule but not just blasting aimlessly. When I used to shoot slow pace and only a couple hundred, engine oil was fine. I didn't change just based on theory.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most gun oils are mineral - so they would also be carcinogenic when they burn.  Does anyone know of the burning lead from the back bullets being fired is bad, or the lead and mercury from the primers is safe????? How about following the old truck that burns more engine oil than gas??? Or how about diesel trucks with the black smoke clouds???

I bet the 4 or 5 drops of oil I may smoke off really is not what is going to kill me.

Best lube IMO... Harbor Freight "Super lube" (real thin layer) on all the shiny places.  Then... Mobil 1 full synthetic on top - thicker stuff.  Don't need to add any other crap in.  Does not need to be super wet like CLP, because it will stick around.  Talk about one slickery bolt!!!

Best cleaner IMO... 1/3 mineral ATF, 2/3 odorless mineral spirits.  Little shot of Kroil.  Forget acetone, that stuff smells like hell, and I dont have a plastic build up problem in my rifle.  Stuff is stupid cheap to mix.  I have heard the whining that a small bottle of CPL is the right thing to use, and will last a long time.  Screw that, I like to dump cleaner on and scrub with an old toothbrush.... I go thru a lot of my cleaner.  Cuts carbon and crap good and fast, works better than store bought CLP.  Smell is not that bad.  A rag and compressed air gets most off.  The mineral spirits evaporate leaving a thin layer of ATF for rust protection.
View Quote
Gun lubes don't contain or release benzene. Engine oil does. When you smell that truck burning oil, it's much less exposure compared to when you're getting oil on you and inhaling the smoke from inches away.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Ed's red is good shit to clean.  I've been using it ( kerosene, mineral spirits and trans fluid...no acetone) for over 20 years.

Synthetic motor oil works great for lube.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Amsoil Signature 0w20
View Quote
I am quoting my post because I might want to change my stance on this!
I still think my Amsoil works great, but we did a lot of suppressed shooting on Friday, and got the rifles and cans piping hot.  Man, that stuff was nasty when it was burning off

I brought EWL and MPro 7 along, and it didn't make our lungs burn at all when it began to cook off, and it seemed to last a tad longer.

Just a thought.  Granted, the carcinogen level of a few drops of synthetic engine oil couldn't be that damn bad, but sure did make us gag for a second

I have plenty of Lucas Extreme, MPro, EWL, and Machine Gun lube to last for quite some time.  I think I will burn through that, and see what I think.

I have another can in jail, so this is going to be even more common for me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I use Mobil 1 in most of my regularly driven vehicles.  There is always a little left in the bottles/jugs after they sit for a few days following an oil/filter changes.  That gets drained into a single 1 qt. bottle that never seems to get full, and never seems to go empty.  I supply oil to both my sons and my nephew.

Been using mostly Mobil 1 (and some very old 3n1 oil from earlier days/training) for about 12 years now.  No issues when used as a lube.  No function issues.  No rust issues.

I use Hoppes#9 for cleaning most of the time.  I do use some black powder cleaners for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo (5.45X39 and some old .308 S&B made with corrosive primers, for some silly reason).
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I used Castrol BMW Motorsports 10w60 for quite a while and it always worked great.

I now use ALG VTG exclusively.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I read that engine oil boils at 550 F.  Is it really possible that you are getting the oil in your AR that hot?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Never noticed my safe stinking. Sometimes motor oil migrates after prolonged storage. Not to drift thread, but I’m leaning more and more to greases due to this.
View Quote
The only place in an AR bolt carrier group where the use of grease is really "justified" is a thin application on the cam pin. Outside of that, it's really best to stick with some sort of oil for lube.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Mobil 1 full synthetic,  works great! All I ever use.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Full synthetic
View Quote
+1, been doing it for many years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a bottle of synthetic motor oil on my bench if I ever want to use it, but ever since my cans started coming in, I try to stick with oils that may not harm me if they blast in my face and eyes. Ballistol, for instance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The only place in an AR bolt carrier group where the use of grease is really "justified" is a thin application on the cam pin. Outside of that, it's really best to stick with some sort of oil for lube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never noticed my safe stinking. Sometimes motor oil migrates after prolonged storage. Not to drift thread, but I’m leaning more and more to greases due to this.
I would disagree. IMO the rails are also a spot that greatly benefit from a lightweight grease. Oils just drain away from them down to the buffer tube. I can completely tell a difference from when my rifle has only oil on the cam pin/rails to when I have Cherrybalmz. Big difference.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I use Mobil 1.

I use that in all my vehicles except for a couple older Camaros with oil leaks.  The left over in the plastic jugs/bottles is allowed to settle to one corner over a period of a week or so and then transferred to a 1 qt. bottle used just for dispensing oil to the small GI squeeze bottles.  I supply oil to my sons and nephew and we don't run out.  Doesn't really take much to keep a rifle/pistol running.

Oh, been doing that for 14 or 15 years now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Mobil 1 full synthetic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
As someone in the Lubricants industry for a major international oil company, I hate these threads. Don’t use motor oil let alone alone used motor oil. Used motor oil has carcinogens. Read safety data sheets
View Quote
I've used Mobil 1 and Rotella, and I like how slick they are but I'm moving away from them because of comments like yours. As I get older I'm not willing to assume the risk to save the amount of money involved. Too much to live for!
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#41]
My understanding is that you're much better off with a good synthetic ATF than motor oil.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Full synthetic
View Quote
same on rifles

Synthetic GL-2 Grease on handguns
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As someone in the Lubricants industry for a major international oil company, I hate these threads. Don’t use motor oil let alone alone used motor oil. Used motor oil has carcinogens. Read safety data sheets
View Quote
so motor oil has carcinogens but non-motor oil doesn't?

What is the difference? What makes it carginogenic?
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Gun lubes don't contain or release benzene. Engine oil does. When you smell that truck burning oil, it's much less exposure compared to when you're getting oil on you and inhaling the smoke from inches away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Synthetic fresh motor oil does not contain benzene. I am pretty sure natural motor oil doesn't either. Both pick up benzene from the gasoline in the cylinders. Used Diesel  engine oil also does not contain benzene

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2612787/
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're thinking of PTFE/teflon, which is found in a lot of CLP type products. When teflon burns, it produces a toxic gas. The basic action of burning engine oil won't produce the toxic/carcinogenic properties.

With motor oil, the carcinogenic factor is a result of basic chemistry of the combustion process inside of the engine. The result of gasoline being combusted produce a lot of dangerous chemicals not only with oil, but mother nature as well. It's funny to me that you're worried about oil in a firearm that you use once in a while, but the car you used to drive there is probably killing you faster than any gun would minus a accidental/intentional shooting. In some parts of China, the smog is so thick and heavy that your life expectancy is nearly cut in half. In Los Angeles there are actual smog factors attributed to lower life expectancy. With that said, if you're so worried, you should be protesting at the auto factory, not some gun forum.

So long as you're not changing your engine oil, and deciding instead of disposing of the oil, you'll use it as a gun oil, you should be safe with a new, unused motor oil pack.

Anyway, back on subject, I haven't used automotive products for years on my gun. I find the grease you buy at the auto store to be the best stuff ever for an ar15. However, I now use gun specific grease. I tried Milcomm tw25b at first, and really loved it but felt it evaporated too soon in storage. I find the Tetra gun grease to be the best stuff ever made. It stays on in equal duration as I had when I used the automotive grease. A tub of Tetra grease I bought from 3 years ago hasn't gone down a bit. When I lube up a gun, it stays wet for a long time. I have one right now that I put tetra grease on during Christmas break last year and it's still thick and like the day I put it on there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I am a machinery engineer in a refinery, 38 years now, and what our machines go thru with Mobil DTE Light, essentially a 10 weight oil, is brutal.  The cycling of a BCG is nothing compared, so I do not see why a quality motor oil will not work and work well.

With that being said, I am the biggest hypocrite for writing this, as I do not use motor oil, but after my supply of lubes do run out, I am switching.  All of my vehicles have Mobil 1 and having this oil in my garage is like having bottled water in the fridge.

I will be switching to 20/50 oil and synthetic Mobil 1 grease for all firearms lubrication.

Link Posted: 9/27/2019 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a strong automotive background many other options are available I believe a pure synthetic atf would fair better plus petosin is a very hi quality synthetic mineral oil for transmissions, gear boxes and steering systems. Odorless all European car lines use it in many applicants and forms.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I was given 30 quarts of Shell w80 aviation oil in the old paper cans. It actually equates to SAE 40 in viscosity. HAn all petroleum based oil. Had to leave the hangar before an FAA inspection. Not really thick, but sticks to everything, and got to find some use for it. It’s made for air cooled engines, so operates at a higher temperature. Trying it on AR and other rifle actions and working well so far. I’m not a magazine dump shooter. After 150 rounds still have oil visible on bolt, just a bit grayer with burnt powder residue.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any of them are fine, modern ATFs are incredibly well-engineered.  I personally picked up a quart of royal purple oil and ATF, just for the purple color.  But that's purely cosmetic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@GlutealCleft

any particular type/brand of synthetic ATF you recommend?
I was expecting royal purple ATF to be purple, but it's not.  

I've got a couple bottles filled with ATF +4.  ATF is really good for keeping stuff clean, and since it's being used in manual transmissions, it must have a decent shear strength.  I've switched to Redline C+ ATF in the SRT, I have some left over and might use it for gun oil once I run out of the generic ATF +4 I was using in the 545RFE and 42RE.  Redline is pure Ester base stock, really high quality stuff.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ah, Kroil, the magic stuff that coal mines use to break their rusty crap free.  I love the smell of that stuff, too!  Will have to make some of that cleaner.  I like using ATF as a lube, it tends to adhere to parts, even though it's thin.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top