Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2020 12:20:15 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a 1-6 LPVO and besides budget (~$1000), I am looking for an optic that can withstand my abuses (Marine-proof, as I like to say). I've run Trijicon almost exclusively since my days in the Marines, as they are incredibly rugged, in addition to clear and have a great warranty but I am unsure where other brands stack up in the LPVO arena. My needs will be a short-to-midrange optic for 100-500 yards on my patrol rifle (14.5" 5.56) and I have no idea about reticles anymore, as there are so many out there - I will be learning about whatever I get from the ground up. In addition to reticle choice, I would like to run an offset RMR in conjunction to the optic (unsure if this affects the need for a daylight bright optic), as I found that I don't care for the piggyback style that I've used over the years, now that I have tried the offset style. I've done some research, but no one has really touched too much on build quality that I have found. I am exceptionally rough on gear, so I need something that can handle it. Like all of us, I want my dollar to go as far as it can and I will spend more to get the best, even if it means saving up a little longer. Sorry for what feels like a rant, just trying to parse out the overwhelming field of choices...
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Nightforce NX8/ATACR, Leupold Mark 6, or Trijicon VCOG would be in the toughest category. I am pretty sure you will find a way to break all of them but they have good warranties.

Buy a used Mark 6 TMR-D (10" and 17oz) and put an offset RMR on it. It not daylight (blinding) bright but has a very usable reticle without the limitation of ammo specific BDC.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Nightforce NX8 is the most robust lpvo I am personally aware of that you can  easily get.
A NAVSEA marked 1-4 nxs with the bedded/glued lenses is the ultimate, imo, for durability.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't go wrong with NF. Razors tend to be pretty damn rugged as well, not to mention the warranty is the definition of "no questions asked".
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm issued a NF ATACR 1-8 and I'm pretty impressed with how stout it is.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the trijicon. I have a 1-4 that I have literally thrown into buckets and slammed into walls in 3 gun. Haven’t had to adjust POI in 8 years and 2 cross country moves.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the trijicon. I have a 1-4 that I have literally thrown into buckets and slammed into walls in 3 gun. Haven’t had to adjust POI in 8 years and 2 cross country moves.
View Quote

@steviesterno16   What Trijicon are you running?  I've got a 1-4 accupower i'm running in an ADM mount but I'm afraid of too much abuse since I can't really afford to replace (with something as nice) if I wreck it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@steviesterno16   What Trijicon are you running?  I've got a 1-4 accupower i'm running in an ADM mount but I'm afraid of too much abuse since I can't really afford to replace (with something as nice) if I wreck it.
View Quote

@bdover 1-4 accupoint. I found at 1x I like it more than an offset red dot, and I can make hits on small targets at 400+ yards quickly enough.

I paid like $400 for it used on here forever ago. It’s been in a PEPR mount since then. I can take it off and put it back on and still be where it needs to be.

I’ve dropped it, thrown it, snagged it on barricades, etc all in training and comps. Has worked for me and I’ve certainly got my money out of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Pay a bit more than a $1,000 and buy a Vortex Razor. I have had one since they first came out and I shoot it 2-4 weekends a month plus practice. Been thrown in dump barrels bumped walls. One area where Vortex out does most other scopes is they ‘warranty’ scopes that have been dropped.

You can sometimes find the Gen 1 Razor used for under a $1,000 but the new street price isn’t that much over a $1,000.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#9]
While I can't disagree with any of the scopes that have been suggested, NF, Leupold MK 5/6/8, Vortex Razor or the Trigicon. They are all great scopes and you wouldn't be disappointed with any of them.

However, I think the only two that fit the OP budget constraints are the Vortex Razor and the Trijicon. I think the rest are well about the $1000 price range and while buying a used one isn't a bad idea one can't count on find one.

I think one scope that gets overlooked is the Burris MTAC 1.5-6. It's less than $500 but has many of the same features that more expensive scopes have, Burris has a good warranty as well and stands behind there products.

It seems that there is void of scopes between $500 and $1000 that are low power high quality scopes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Of the scopes I’ve used the NX8, Razor, Trijicon 1-8, and the Tango T6 all seemed to be very robust. Of the above I liked the NX8 the best But would happily use any of them with the caveat that the Trij is an absolute pig.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

@steviesterno16

What Trijicon1-4, Accupower or Accupoint?

Whoops  just saw you answered this above

I have the 1-4 and 1-8 Accupowers and they are great

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#12]
USMC adopted the VCOG as their SCO.

If the OP wants Marine proof...there you go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I appreciate all of the insight and information. Im looking at a variety. I'm curious about the Primary Arms PLx 1-8x24mm FFP Rifle Scope ACSS Raptor-M2. I like the reticle and it's got great reviews as well. I'm really torn between the following:

Kahles k16i
NF NX8
Vortex Razor
EoTech Vudu

I think it a boils down to reticle choice, as I've seen negative reviews about all the optics I listed. This will be a major move from a traditional scope, so I think once I decide, I'll be able to train and work well with whatever I get.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I appreciate all of the insight and information. Im looking at a variety. I'm curious about the Primary Arms PLx 1-8x24mm FFP Rifle Scope ACSS Raptor-M2. I like the reticle and it's got great reviews as well. I'm really torn between the following:

Kahles k16i
NF NX8
Vortex Razor
EoTech Vudu

I think it a boils down to reticle choice, as I've seen negative reviews about all the optics I listed. This will be a major move from a traditional scope, so I think once I decide, I'll be able to train and work well with whatever I get.
View Quote

You went from wanting a LVPO that could be run over by a vehicle to one which a nice reticle...
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Kahles k16i
NF NX8
Vortex Razor
EoTech Vudu

View Quote

Two of those are way beyond your listed budget even when buying used and the other two are only within your budget if buying used.  Built like a brick shit house is only gonna apply to the NX8.  Razor is probably good to go but it's a Vortex product and they offer that warranty for a reason.  With the Kahles you could get one that takes a beating and keeps on truckin' or it could be a real delicate flower.  Don't know anything about the Vudu or PA reliability.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kahles k16i
NF NX8
Vortex Razor
EoTech Vudu

View Quote

Those are all excellent choices.  The problem with so-called duty grade LPVOs, especially once you get beyond 1-4x and perhaps 1-6x, is that they can get very heavy.  1-8x and 1-10x scopes tend to be pig heavy and have tiny, unforgiving eye boxes at high magnification due to the 24mm objective lens.  Leupold tends to find ways to keep weight down and still stay rugged.  Even their very light hunting variables get quite a bit of abuse during hunting and remain quite reliable.  If you plan to lug the rifle around in the field, extra weight adds up and can get to be a problem.

Unless you plan to slide your rifle down rocky mountain slopes in Afghanistan, you may be over thinking ruggedness.  Its important in the sense that you don't want failure if the scope gets knocked about, but most scopes above $600-$800 are plenty rugged enough for all but extreme conditions.

The Kahles K16i fits the bill, if you can pick one up in your price range.  The glass is extraordinary.  Weighs 16.9 ounces.

A Leupold Mk6 1-6x20mm weighs 17.0 ounces.

By contrast, a Gen 2 Vortex Razor 1-6x weighs 25.2 ounces.  The newest version has dropped a little weight, but is still almost 22 ounces.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Get the VCOG, it's like a trailer trash wife-- it's not great at much except being abused. As a Marine, you'll love neglecting it. If you're really looking for most robust, there you go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are looking for reliability and durability, I would seriously consider something from the old school US Optics line up. They are built like tanks.

I own a LR-17 3.2-17x44 and SR-4C 1-4x24.

The SR-4C has a second focal plane 4 MOA daytime visible red dot, along with true 1x.  I have a .2 mil version with a Mil scale reticle.  The reticle is simple and clutter free with no numerical markings.  However this scope lacks a zero stop feature, which is the new standard for optics in this price range.  Just can’t be careless with your elevation adjustments!  It has capped turrets also.  The lack of zero stop could be rectified with properly sized washers.

The other LPVOs are under various model #s, but they made a 1.5-6x28 and a 1-8x27. They all will be FFP.

I cannot speak for any of the new generation USO products.

Ian

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can't go wrong with NF. Razors tend to be pretty damn rugged as well, not to mention the warranty is the definition of "no questions asked".
View Quote

When I had to utilize the warranty a lot of questions were asked.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top